Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Question about Rocky Mountain coasters

Question about Rocky Mountain coasters

LoneStar LoneStar Profile

Posted:
6/28/13 at
10:19:09 PM

I don't know if this has been brought up recently, but now that I've been on Iron Rattler and The New Texas Giant, can I count those a new coaster credits?

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning to counting them. They have completely different trains and tracks. They probably have 50% of the same support structure (Iron Rattler probably less)

Yall's thoughts?

- Pat-O

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 6/28/13 11:28:44 PM
I'd count them as new coasters. They are just too different to say they are the same coaster. Something like Hades 360 however (GG, not RMC, I know), I'd probably say only counts as just the one credit.
Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by roseblack at 6/29/13 12:44:59 AM
I agree with you as I would also count them as coasters but a bit different ones.

randonnée à Paris

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/29/13 2:11:54 AM
Yeah, I agree with counting them as different coasters. Like Josh said, there are just too many changes for those rejuvenated Rocky Mtn coasters to be considered the same ride. I guess that I'll have to do that (count as two) whenever I get a chance to go back to SFFT and ride Iron Rattler.

* This post was modified at 6/29/13 2:15:12 AM *

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/29/13 7:12:32 AM
Pat-O, siince I count re-located coasters as a new credit even if they haven't changed because it's a different ride experience, I'd definitely say count them again...for the same reason.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 6/29/13 8:43:15 AM
Thanks for the input, guys. But I don't count relocated coasters - to me its the same track, same structure, same coaster.

- Pat-O

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/29/13 9:38:49 AM
To each his/her own. Since the visuals are different, it's a different ride to me.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 6/29/13 10:51:36 AM
I would find it totally acceptable to count them as different, individual coasters. I'm surprised that RCDB does not.

I have trouble with the justification that they ARE the same ride. There is really nothing similar about them. For goodness' sake, they went from being a wooden coaster to a STEEL coaster. How can they be the same ride?

Now, Hades 360 is still Hades, even though I'm sure many enthusiasts will count it as two.

I think counting Hades 360 and Hades as two rides is like counting Drachen Fire before and after the corkscrew removal as two. Lame.

* This post was modified at 6/29/13 10:52:15 AM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/29/13 12:54:45 PM
LoneStar said:

Thanks for the input, guys. But I don't count relocated coasters - to me its the same track, same structure, same coaster.


- Pat-O

+100

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/29/13 1:15:00 PM
LoneStar said:

Thanks for the input, guys. But I don't count relocated coasters - to me its the same track, same structure, same coaster.


- Pat-O

Pat - you have to remember Mike also pays children to go on kiddie coasters with him for a credit - LOL! I don't count relocated coasters either unless they've been modified in some way.

But, in Mike's defense, I suppose you can also look at it this way: How many people count the Batman clones as different coasters? I bet pretty much everyone. Really the same exact ride.

Jen

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 6/29/13 1:36:04 PM
drachen said:

I would find it totally acceptable to count them as different, individual coasters. I'm surprised that RCDB does not.


I have trouble with the justification that they ARE the same ride. There is really nothing similar about them. For goodness' sake, they went from being a wooden coaster to a STEEL coaster. How can they be the same ride?

Now, Hades 360 is still Hades, even though I'm sure many enthusiasts will count it as two.

I think counting Hades 360 and Hades as two rides is like counting Drachen Fire before and after the corkscrew removal as two. Lame.

That's a good way to look at it, Drachen.

- Pat-O

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 6/29/13 1:36:51 PM
GoYanks34 said:

LoneStar said:

Thanks for the input, guys. But I don't count relocated coasters - to me its the same track, same structure, same coaster.


- Pat-O

Pat - you have to remember Mike also pays children to go on kiddie coasters with him for a credit - LOL! I don't count relocated coasters either unless they've been modified in some way.

But, in Mike's defense, I suppose you can also look at it this way: How many people count the Batman clones as different coasters? I bet pretty much everyone. Really the same exact ride.

Jen

That's hilarious! Now, I've never done that for a coaster, but I have for the Zipper since they won't let single riders.

- Pat-O

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/29/13 3:31:55 PM
GoYanks34 said:

LoneStar said:

Thanks for the input, guys. But I don't count relocated coasters - to me its the same track, same structure, same coaster.


- Pat-O

Pat - you have to remember Mike also pays children to go on kiddie coasters with him for a credit - LOL!


Jen

Well, I've never done that. Couldn't afford it if I wanted to. But what you mentioned, Pat-O, about the Zipper? Now THAT's a worthwhile investment!!!

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/29/13 3:36:43 PM
LoneStar said:

I don't know if this has been brought up recently, but now that I've been on Iron Rattler and The New Texas Giant, can I count those a new coaster credits?


The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning to counting them. They have completely different trains and tracks. They probably have 50% of the same support structure (Iron Rattler probably less)

Yall's thoughts?

- Pat-O

Totally new credits except maybe the lifthill. Count em as 3/4 credits, Yeah, thats it.

Chuck, who will count the same coaster moved from another location, Hey, The scenery is different :)

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by alpengeistno3 at 6/29/13 4:15:23 PM
I'm with Mike on relocated coasters. I don't view Green Lantern at SFGradv as the same ride as Chang at KK. Same with Dominator at GL and KD. They don't feel like the same ride, even if our "roller coaster nerdiness" knows the track is the same.

With the Rocky Mountain hybrids, there is so little of the old coaster left that they are new rides. Does RCDB count Phantom's Revenge as a different coaster than Steel Phantom? I hope so.

Paul

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/29/13 4:19:32 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

I'm with Mike on relocated coasters. I don't view Green Lantern at SFGradv as the same ride as Chang at KK. Same with Dominator at GL and KD. They don't feel like the same ride, even if our "roller coaster nerdiness" knows the track is the same.


With the Rocky Mountain hybrids, there is so little of the old coaster left that they are new rides. Does RCDB count Phantom's Revenge as a different coaster than Steel Phantom? I hope so.

Paul

Coaster counter has the Turtle at Kennywood as a coaster so I'm sure they do! :-)

Jen

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/29/13 4:52:59 PM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

I'm with Mike on relocated coasters. I don't view Green Lantern at SFGradv as the same ride as Chang at KK. Same with Dominator at GL and KD. They don't feel like the same ride, even if our "roller coaster nerdiness" knows the track is the same.


With the Rocky Mountain hybrids, there is so little of the old coaster left that they are new rides. Does RCDB count Phantom's Revenge as a different coaster than Steel Phantom? I hope so.

Paul

Coaster counter has the Turtle at Kennywood as a coaster so I'm sure they do! :-)

Jen

Wow, So I can add my first new credit in three years? 323 :)

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/29/13 4:57:19 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

GoYanks34 said:

Coaster counter has the Turtle at Kennywood as a coaster so I'm sure they do! :-)

Jen

Wow, So I can add my first new credit in three years? 323 :)

LMAO! Yep! :-)

Jen

Re: Question about Rocky Mountain coasters by MABrider MABrider Profile at 7/1/13 10:55:14 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

I don't view Green Lantern at SFGradv as the same ride as Chang at KK. Same with Dominator at GL and KD. Paul

Good examples.

If someone asked me, did you ever ride Chang?
I'd say yes.
If they then asked if I've ridden Green Lantern, I would also say yes.
So that's two Yes's = two counts.

OK, now what about Dominator, which kept its name?
Unlike the other two, now the questions would be qualified to include the parks as well.
Still, I would reply Yes twice = two counts.

* This post was modified at 7/1/13 11:01:06 AM *

Mike B.