Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter

Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
6/22/13 at
12:38:03 PM

My mother in law has taken my daughter, Haley, and my son,Hayden, on vacation to Southern California. My sister in law lives out there, so that was they're reason for going. I wanted to go with them so bad, but it just wasn't possible. Yesterday they went to Knotts Berry Farm. They didn't arrive at the park until noon and had to leave at 5:30, so they didn't have much time. My daughter said the park was very crowded, with wait times 30-60 minutes for all coasters. Here are her thoughts.

They rode Xcelerator in the front seat. My daughter said the launch was great, the top hat was really good, but then the ride was just boring. She said Storm Runner at Hershey is far superior.

They rode Ghost Rider in the 3rd row. My daughter said the layout was awesome, but it was extremely rough. She compared the roughness to Roar at Six Flags America.

The rode somewhere in the middle of Boomerang. My daughter said it's probably the best boomerang that she has been on and the only coaster that had line of less than 30 minutes.

They rode Silver Bullet and both kids really liked it. It was their favorite coaster at the park. They said it was really smooth and reminded them of Patriot at Worlds of Fun, only they likes Patriot more.

They did ride Calico Mine Ride. They said the ride was really neat and lasted almost 10 minutes. My daughter said It's one of the best dark rides she has ridden.

They were going to try to ride Sierra Sidewinder or Pony Express before they left, but both coasters had a 60 minute wait, so they only got to ride those 5 rides that I've mentioned above.

Both kids liked the park. They said it was nice and well themed. My daughter did say it lacks a destination coaster. They had fun, but wished I was there. If I were there they know we would have been there at opening and probably would have got all the coasters in. They are supposed to go to Six Flags Magic Mountain on Wednesday for the whole day.

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 6/22/13 10:01:50 PM
I've heard good things about Knotts Berry Farm. Your kids will love Magic Mountain though.

Brandon

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 6/23/13 7:45:31 AM
You are raising terrific kids!!

- Pat-O

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/23/13 8:54:31 AM
LoneStar said:

You are raising terrific kids!!

- Pat-O

Thanks Pat. I'm sure trying to raise them right. I'm really glad that all of them like amusement parks and rollercoasters and I'm sure they're glad that I'm an enthusiast. I really do believe that this current stage in life will be the most memorable for all of us. These really are the best years.

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/27/13 4:19:36 PM
Yesterday my sister in law took the kids to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Once again they arrived late, around noon, but stayed until close. Wait times were 30-60 minutes. My sister in law said it was an average crowd for a weekday in the summer. Here are there thoughts.

The waited about a hour for X2 which was their first ride. My daughter said it was very disorienting and was good, but not great. She compared it to Batwing at Six Flags America.

Next they rode Viper. My daughter really enjoyed it, but it did have some head banging.

Ninja was their next ride. My daughter said it was better than Iron Dragon, but not nearly as good as Vortex and Canada's Wonderland.

They rode the back seat of Apocalypse. My daughter loved it. She said it is her 3rd favorite wooden coaster behind Phoenix and Prowler. She said it wasn't rough at all, but it wasn't silky smooth like Prowler, American Thunder, and Lightning Racer. She said it ran like Renegade does only more aggressive. She really wished they could have ridden it multiple times.

They then headed over to the other side of the park. They rode near the back of Colossus. They got stuck on the brake run for quite some time. She said Colossus reminded her of Rolling Thunder.

Next they rode Scream. My daughter said Bizarro at Great Adventure is far superior. She liked Scream, but not as much as the other floorless coasters she had been on.

They rode Goliath and my daughter said that I would have loved it, which is probably true because I loved Titan. They waited about a hour and her and my son did experience that greying out sensation. In fact my son actually felt a little sick when they got off. Both kids really liked Goliath.

For their last ride of the day they rode Tatsu. This was both kids favorite coaster at the park. My daughter put it 2nd on her favorite steel coaster list. My daughter is now up to 177 coasters. The line was only through 2 switch backs, but my daughter said it was one of the slowest moving lines that she has ever seen. It took over a hour to get on.

Overall my daughter said Six Flags Magic Mountain is the best park she has ever been to. Hershey is still her favorite, but SFMM is the best. She really wanted to ride Green Lantern, but the line was just too long. They checked the line for Full Throttle twice and it was insane. Not only were all the switchbacks full, but the line was overflowing into the midway.

The kids had a great time and even visited Pacific Park on Monday evening. They are flying home today. Can't wait to see them and hear more about their trip.

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/27/13 5:45:12 PM
Glad she had a good time but tell her I missed her at Hershey! I'm writing up the TR now - I'll have it up tonight or tomorrow.

I still think she would have liked Knotts better if she had the full day and you were with her. It really is a nice park. Your daughter is going to pass my coaster count soon and I'm 32 years older than her! :-(

Jen

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/27/13 6:28:20 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Glad she had a good time but tell her I missed her at Hershey! I'm writing up the TR now - I'll have it up tonight or tomorrow.

I still think she would have liked Knotts better if she had the full day and you were with her. It really is a nice park. Your daughter is going to pass my coaster count soon and I'm 32 years older than her! :-(

Jen

If we go on that coaster trip in August, both kids should be over 200. I think the kids have a possible 65 coasters they can add. I can only add 4 or 5. I'm really trying to get them caught up and to as many parks as possible, while they are still young and coaster crazy.

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/27/13 6:38:03 PM
frontrow said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

If we go on that coaster trip in August, both kids should be over 200. I think the kids have a possible 65 coasters they can add. I can only add 4 or 5. I'm really trying to get them caught up and to as many parks as possible, while they are still young and coaster crazy.

I wish you were my dad way back when. I hope your kids know how lucky they are. You are seriously one of the best fathers I have ever met!

Jen

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/27/13 7:25:43 PM
Thanks Jen. I sure try to be, but I do make mistakes as a parent on a daily basis. I'm just glad we are enjoying this hobby together.
Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by HamptonRoadsRider HamptonRoadsRider Profile at 7/22/13 11:37:21 AM
frontrow said:

Thanks Jen. I sure try to be, but I do make mistakes as a parent on a daily basis. I'm just glad we are enjoying this hobby together.

That's really great frontrow. I do the same with my daughter. In fact, she is why i am now a coaster freak. I enjoyed them before, now i'm obsessed! Its great that a 36 yr old and an 11 year old can walk into a new park feeling the exact same way!!

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/22/13 7:45:54 PM
frontrow said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

i'm hopefully heading to hershey in august. Chances are i might go on a saturday and dorney on sunday. Still have to check which weekend though. Would be cool if we met up on the same day (assuming you are talking about hershey).

* This post was modified at 7/22/13 7:51:07 PM *

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by frontrow frontrow Profile at 7/22/13 8:11:01 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

frontrow said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

i'm hopefully heading to hershey in august. Chances are i might go on a saturday and dorney on sunday. Still have to check which weekend though. Would be cool if we met up on the same day (assuming you are talking about hershey).

Hershey and Dorney are not in our plans. I've been to Hershey 3 times already this season. Our coaster trip in August is most likely going to consist of Cedar Point, Michigan's Adventure, Indiana Beach, Kings Island, Dollywood, Lake Winnie, Six Flags Over Georgia, and Carowinds.

Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 7/22/13 8:34:25 PM
Ok. Another time then. Enjoy your trip!
Re: Knotts Berry Farm report from my daughter by chris92se chris92se Profile at 7/26/13 12:19:13 AM
Tatsu is also my favorite at SFMM.

If you ride X2 a few times it is way more fun. The first time it is VERY disorienting. The problem is the line is often so long you can only ride it once a day. The first drop is so intense...face down always gets me.

Apocalypse (formerly Terminator:Salvation) is exciting and smooth. It is actually a really new wooden coaster, I think 2009?

I got a super bad headache riding Goliath back-to-back in 2010. The helix is forceful. I really do like it, though.

Full Throttle was pretty good. You fall out of your seat on the loop, which was a bit scary. I only waited 30 minutes, a couple weeks ago.

She is lucky she didn't ride Green Lantern. It is fun, but painful. My wife had bruises on both shoulders for several days afterward.

I am not a very big KBF fan. It's really crowded and not that great for what it is. There are a few good rides, but you get one or two good rides all day. (When I went, it was twice on Xcelerator and once on Silver Bullet). All of the lines were long and the thrill factor overall is far below SFMM. I actually prefer Disneyland -- the overall experience is much better.

* This post was modified at 7/26/13 12:22:03 AM *