Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > First time to Kennywood - Suggestions

First time to Kennywood - Suggestions

Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile

Posted:
6/18/13 at
2:46:31 PM

I'm headed to Kennywood for the first time ever on Sunday.

Any advice for a first timer?

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: First time to Kennywood - Suggestions by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/18/13 4:28:26 PM
First of all, I would be more than happy to meet up if you wanted to. I'm still on the boat as of now, but due off on Thursday. Typically the park is pretty crowded on a weekend in June. As for tips, it's depends on what is important to you. I'm assuming you want to ride all 6 coasters. Kennywood has a great collection of flat rides with a nice mixture of old classic ones with modern ones. One thing I can tell you is Kennywood will start the day with one train operations on Phantoms Revenge and Thunderbolt. They have been putting on a 2nd train on Phantoms Revenge at 1:00pm, faithfully. The 2nd train on Thunderbolt is added a little later, around 2:00pm. Jack Rabbit and Sky Rocket will start the day with 2 trains. Racer only runs one set of trains. The best time to ride Sky Rocket is usually 3:00-4:00. That's when the line is usually the shortest. Black Widow is their newest ride, It's a frisbee. Even on the slow days, it will have a 45 minute wait. We usually make Black Widow our first ride of the day, and walk right on it. We then go right next door to Exterminator, the low capacity indoor coaster. We usually wait less than 10 minutes as long It's before 11:30. Exterminator is another ride that can have a very long wait, up to a hour, if you don't ride it early. Also early in the day you can walk onto Swing Shot. That is another line that will grow to.over 30 minutes later in the day. The dark rides almost always have long lines. Ghostwood Estates don't open until noon. Depending on the weather, the water rides can have long lines also if It's hot. Like I said, I'm due off Thursday. If I get off on my scheduled date, I'll repost on this thread. Just let me know if you would like to meet up. If we don't get to meet up, hopefully this information helps you.
Re: First time to Kennywood - Suggestions by ray_p ray_p Profile at 6/18/13 6:36:21 PM
Two words: Bayern Kurve! :)

I'd also recommend as frontrow said to get Exterminator out of the way early as the line gets crazy long.

Of course, there's always the VIP Coaster Tour option to cut the lines on the main coasters (I think Thunderbolt was not on the list). I think the cost is around $25 and you get one trip up the exit ramp at designated times. I think you can add Black Widow and the water rides for an extra fee as well.

Enjoy your trip!

* This post was modified at 6/18/13 6:38:03 PM *

Re: First time to Kennywood - Suggestions by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/18/13 8:49:20 PM
Like Ray stated The Bayren Kurve is a must. It is my all time favorite flat ride. Fortunately the ride isn't real popular and usually has a short line. You could easily get 2 or 3 rides if you wanted to. Kennywood also has a mega disc o called Cosmic Chaos. That line can grow very long throughout the day. Another flat ride that is a must ride is The Kangaroo. It's the last one remaining and It's a fun ride. The are other classic, rare rides such as The Turtle, The Auto Race, and Noah's Ark. It will depend on the crowd on how much you get in. That VIP coaster tour maybe worth it, because of the weekend.
Re: First time to Kennywood - Suggestions by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/18/13 9:00:40 PM
Exterminator early and I'd hit Racer early. on opposite sides of park but thats what Id do. PR and thunderbolt seem to maintain a steady line that never grows or shrinks much.

Noahs Ark!

Potato Patch Jr. Chicken strips and fries.

Auto Race at least once, Its a trip!

Train for the view.

Jack Rabbit, Middle car, Middle seat if you can get it. Expecially at night

Thunderbolt does not allow single riders, they will pair you. Try to ride the back and keep a open mind, It took me five visits before I found out how good it can be.

Have fun, Everything in the park is reasonable on cost. Id recommend Garfield but GARFIELD IS THE PROBLEM WITH THE RIDE, The old mill was great without that crap.

Brother Loves sky Rocket and Ghostwood. I haven't been since they were installed.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: First time to Kennywood - Suggestions by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/19/13 5:52:44 AM
frontrow said:

The are other classic, rare rides such as The Turtle, The Auto Race, and Noah's Ark.

Noah's Ark? Whazzat??? :)

And, yeah, Joe, Bayern Kurve is awesomeness.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: First time to Kennywood - Suggestions by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 6/19/13 12:13:40 PM
Wild World, now SFA, use to have a Bayern Curve back in the day before Premier took over.

I vaguely remember riding this as a kid.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: First time to Kennywood - Suggestions by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/19/13 12:47:21 PM
Great_Ump said:

Wild World, now SFA, use to have a Bayern Curve back in the day before Premier took over.

Joe
Great_Ump

Change the above to "Riverside, now SFNE" and the story is the same.

Mike B.
Re: First time to Kennywood - Suggestions by parkbookman parkbookman Profile at 6/19/13 1:16:17 PM
Since you're going on Sunday, make sure you're there when the gates open. Kennywood has a pretty good "church factor" and the first couple of hours on Sundays can be pretty quiet.

We usually head to Lost Kennywood first and get Exterminator out of the way. Thunderbolt and Phantom's Revenge can be a slow line until they add the second train, so if you only see one train and the line is out of the station, wait, the second train is usually on by early afternoon.

Also, when you're thirsty, there's a great cold water dispenser in the Parkside Terrace complete with complementary cups. Try to eat later, everyone seems to want to eat lunch at the same time.

Enjoy!

Re: First time to Kennywood - Suggestions by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/19/13 1:17:18 PM
I've been on several Bayern Kurves (aka Swiss Bobs.) The one that always was my favorite resided indoors at Palace Amusements in Asbury Park, which is referenced in Born To Run..the line a few before my signature :)
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...