Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Dollywood Mini-TR

Dollywood Mini-TR

RobLec RobLec Profile

Posted:
6/10/13 at
9:34:53 PM

We hadn't been to Dollywood since 2007 for the opening of Mystery Mine, and this year we had some timeshare points that we had to use by June 30th or lose them, so booked a week in Gatlinburg. I had been in Florida and drove up as soon as TS Andrea would allow, and met up with my wife and her sister here. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive thru the Smokey Mountain National Park, more scenic and far more relaxing than our usual drive thru Atlanta and Knoxville.

It has been a bit on the cool side and rainy following Andrea, but today the clouds parted and resulted in a beautiful clear, dry afternoon following the morning rain. We drove to Pigeon Forge and bought our one day tickets around 4PM, and being after 3PM will have all day tomorrow as well "free" at no additional cost.

Amazingly, even though we were in the park less than two hours today, we were able to get in one ride on everything we wanted to ride.

As this was our first time here in six years, we headed up the hill to the back of the park where we expected to find Wild Eagle... but we first encountered Blazing Fury and figured what the heck, why not, and took a ride on it for old times sake. This turned out to be our longest wait of the day, maybe 20 minutes. Afterwards we passed on Tennessee Tornado as I remember the restraints being very painful for a person of my height.

From there we headed up the new pathway to Flying Eagle. We had seen an animation at the GOCC Christmas dinner in 2011, but otherwise knew nothing of the ride. We waited only three trains and rode in the second row, left side. Nice smooth ride. Lots of inversions. A pleasant experience. The ride op recognized us as coaster enthusiasts from our attire and recommended that next time we ride the front left or right rear.

Next up was Mystery Mine. We'd had over a dozen rides back in 2007, and I could remember most of the rides features, but had forgotten the layout of the outside portion. Here again, only about a ten minute wait. The OTSR's stank from sweat, but otherwise I'd say the ride has been well maintained and was every bit as enjoyable (and no less rough) than it was six years ago. After so many years at Kings Island, it was refreshing to see a ride at a seasonal park with everything working!

Finally we headed to Thunderhead. Surprisingly, the line was almost non existent. What an awesome ride. We rode in the very last seat and had a great ride. There was just the slightest bit of washboarding, but good pops of air and of course lots of laterals. I haven't had that much fun since ERT on RFII in 2010.

We were back in the parking lot before six PM... less than two hours total. It's supposed to be hot the next two days, but since we got most of the big rides out of the way today, we will likely just do some shows tomorrow, and maybe get in another ride or two on Eagle and Thunderhead. All in all it was a great day. We sure had fun today, and I think tomorrow will be even better!

Re: Dollywood Mini-TR by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/11/13 11:31:55 AM
Glad you had a great time! I can't remember if I rode Thunderhead more than once, I think only once, but MAN I love that ride! Really dig the layout just going in and out of itself and the turns are sick.

Dollywood is such an odd park to me, as Iim part of the younger folk crowd, but it was really nice.

Nice TR!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Dollywood Day 2 by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/11/13 8:13:45 PM
As great as yesterday was, today was essentially just the opposite. It was a warm, clear day... no rain to scare the GP away, and we had to wait in line for everything. The park was packed. And as anyone who has been there knows, the place already suffers from narrow walkways and dead ends.

We did get to see a couple shows. The 50's and 60's musical ("Dreamland") was good, but I had one small criticism. The story supposedly took place in 1956, yet half of the male cast members were wearing blue jeans. No one wore blue jeans in 1956 ("Dungarees" maybe).

Anywho, we enjoyed a good lunch at decent price, but only after a half hour wait. And rode the train, but after waiting nearly an hour.

That was pretty much the entire day. But there was one very pleasant surprise... the ACE National Roller Coaster Museum, which I'm guessing is a traveling exhibit, where we spent nearly an hour. Anyone reading this board probably knows most of the history on display there. But there were some very well done displays. Thoroughly enjoyed that.

Re: Dollywood Day 2 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/11/13 9:55:53 PM
Great reports. We are planning a week long coaster trip in August. Dollywood is on the itinerary for the second Saturday in August. My last visit was in September 2010, and the park was empty. From your report, it sounds like we are going to have to deal with a crowded park. Glad you had a good time, thanks for the report.
Re: Dollywood Day 2 by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/12/13 10:20:14 AM
frontrow said:
From your report, it sounds like we are going to have to deal with a crowded park.

Thanks for the reply. Much depends on the day you are there. Monday was light, Tuesday was packed... even though many of the shows had the day off that day.

When we were here in 2007 we bought passes and stayed at a condo nearby, close to the trolley park. Some days the park was so crowded we turned around and left, other days it was great. Too bad there's no good predictor of such matters!

I hope you get to see ACE exhibit in August. It is next to the tunnel.

Re: Dollywood Day 2 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/13/13 1:34:16 PM
I'm jealous lol. I only wished I could've rode Thunderhead multiple times back in 2006. I only rode it once since the line was pretty long and I wasn't a big fan of wood coasters as I am now (well I still prefer steel more, but I am more tolerant of wood coasters).
When I rode tornado, it didn't feel that rough, but this was 7 years ago.

Oh man how the place has grown since my last visit. I gotta revisit the place one of these days.

* This post was modified at 6/13/13 1:38:49 PM *

Re: Dollywood Day 2 by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/13/13 3:59:56 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

I'm jealous lol. I only wished I could've rode Thunderhead multiple times back in 2006. I only rode it once since the line was pretty long and I wasn't a big fan of wood coasters as I am now (well I still prefer steel more, but I am more tolerant of wood coasters).
When I rode tornado, it didn't feel that rough, but this was 7 years ago.

Oh man how the place has grown since my last visit. I gotta revisit the place one of these days.

If your going to Dollywood for only rides. Id suggest a Weds or Thurs during Christmas Celebration. The flume and Raft ride don't operate but almost every other ride does. My last trip in 08 netted over 80 rides on Thunderhead, 50+ on Mystery Mine and several other rides including a walk on Train at almost departure time (POSTED every hour on hour) Most of the folks go for the shows. I even seen one at that visit.

Just a heads up.
Chuck

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Dollywood Day 2 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/13/13 8:02:11 PM
Great advice, thanks!
Re: Dollywood Day 2 by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 6/15/13 9:08:03 PM
Hi there, friend! Glad you enjoyed your time at Dollywood. I've been mulling it over in my head the last couple of weeks about making another trip that way (Thunderhead wasn't even built when we last visited).

Lot of things going on right now, though...but it is on the backburner with a teeny tiny flame lit under it :)

~MommaBeast

Re: Dollywood Day 2 by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/16/13 9:08:21 AM
WOW! Blast from the past! How have you been doing?
Kids out of the house I'm guessing... or at least well on their way out.

And Thunderhead is definitely worth a few dozen rides!

Re: Dollywood Day 2 by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 6/16/13 2:05:58 PM
Hi friend :)

Like I told another poster friend on here, I've been better that's for sure. My Mom passed away May 25th and it's been very difficult --- some days are better than others.

Last coaster trip I took was with kids and their friends (it's soooo cool to still be the Mom that your kids and THEIR friends don't mind hangin' with!) at Cedar Point about 2 years ago.

So much happening in my life right now -- just trying to stay on task :/

Through it all, God is good. Always. :)

Keep in touch!

~MommaBeast

Re: Dollywood Day 2 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/16/13 2:48:30 PM
Condolences on your Mom's passing. Good to "see" you again.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Dollywood Day 2 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/16/13 7:17:06 PM
MommaBeast said:

Like I told another poster friend on here, I've been better that's for sure. My Mom passed away May 25th and it's been very difficult --- some days are better than others.

Last coaster trip I took was with kids and their friends (it's soooo cool to still be the Mom that your kids and THEIR friends don't mind hangin' with!) at Cedar Point about 2 years ago.

Keep in touch!

~MommaBeast

Sorry for your loss MommaBeast. It's good to hear from you again. Hopefully you'll start riding coasters again in the near future.

Awwww.... :) by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 6/16/13 7:19:23 PM
beastmaster said:

Condolences on your Mom's passing. Good to "see" you again.

Awww, thank you so much. Life treating you okay?

Re: Dollywood Day 2 by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 6/16/13 7:20:45 PM
frontrow said:

MommaBeast said:

Keep in touch!

~MommaBeast

Sorry for your loss MommaBeast. It's good to hear from you again. Hopefully you'll start riding coasters again in the near future.

Thank you so much for your kind words.
God Bless ...