Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > SF Great Adventure is stupid.....

SF Great Adventure is stupid.....

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
6/6/13 at
9:03:20 PM

Yes, I said it about my home park that I always defend so vehemently - STUPID. I attempted to go to the new safari today. I got there nice and early since I've been hearing about the 5 hr + waits on weekends.

Stupid #1: They changed the security procedure - they have the scanners on ultra-sensitive so now EVERYTHING goes off. My button/zipper on my jeans, my necklace, my watch (the one I've worn every time I go), my bra, etc so now they wand you after you beep. When the wand goes off in the places familiar things are they let it go. So if someone puts a knife down the front of their pants by the zipper, it's fine. They are still making people take off their belts when they are beeping for everything too. Stupid. They actually emptied my entire fanny pack that had barely nothing in it too - what a pain in the ass. Everyone was still trying to put their crap back in their bags and they had other people coming through. That's going to be fun on a busy day. The security guard said they changed it due to the recent bombings - I was there after the recent bombings and it was not like this.

Stupid#2: I get in at 10:20 am on the season pass line and head to the safari. There was NO ONE in the park so I thought this would be great. I get stopped over by the path near the Log Flume by security telling me that the safari doesn't open until 12:30 and that side of the park (Flume, Runaway Train, Medusa) doesn't open until 11 am. Are you friggin kidding me?! Your big new attraction doesn't open until 12:30?! WTF? I was PISSED.

I went to KK and got right on the front row with a 1 train wait. It was hands down the best launch of the season so that made me a little happier. Then I got a very fresh Churro on my way out. Feeling better. Went to ET and walked on the last row and went 2x. I can handle that. I saw my ride-op friend Johnny from KK and I asked him why they kicked him out of Ka and he laughed and said he was filling in at ET today. Then he said, hey - you're Jen, right? I said yes, you remember and he said he had something for me when I came back. Came back and he said his supervisors showed him and Joe the awesome comments I sent in about them after the KK wait and consecutive rides and he thanked me and handed me 4 exit passes for ET. That was nice. I had no need for them since they were only good for today so I gave them to a guy I was smoking with later on and made his day.

I headed to Medusa (Bizarro) and had a really good ride - got a ton of "wees"! It was around 11:50 am so I walked pass the safari entrance and I didn't see anyone so I went and had a smoke. I went back and walked through and this is what I encountered:


Walking in - it seemed desolate - good!


The entrance is under the Log Flume hill - still looking good!


Around the bend and uh-oh. This could be bad....


Are you friggin kidding me?! The line went past the Best of the West in the back and the Log Flume


Ended where you would walk in to the Log Flume! Hell no!

I ate lunch at Best of the West and after it opened they moved everyone into the queue - why wouldn't they do that from the beginning?


There are 3 large, square queues and 2 1/2 were full

I asked the guy over there what the wait was and he said 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. NO WAY could I wait on that line. He said the safari is on the handicap passes so I'll have to go back next week and get one before going in. I only get them if I'm going to be there all day but I never anticipated that line on a Thursday. I also didn't know that they let people start lining up at 11 am and didn't open until 12:30 - Explains why there's always a 5 hour wait - STUPID!!!!!!!!


No, it's because you don't open until 12:30 and people start lining up at 11:00 morons!

Here are some more pics that show where the entrance is set up:


That pointy shed looking thing we saw them building at the beginning of the season is where the trucks come through


The trucks pull up here but the peple are waiting in line in the back - very deceiving


Right click and hit view image for a better look

It was a real crappy day out anyway so my pictures wouldn't have been very good. I had a great ride on Nitro (5 min wait) and hit Sky Screamer on the way out - only a one ride wait since everyone in the park was on line for the safari.

Stupid#3: They re-did parts of Roaring Rapids but left the old wood in other spots - Looks horrible! I really hope they're not leaving it like that.



It got very dark and cloudy but never rained

So, you'll all have to wait until next week for the safari pics - STUPID Great Adventure!!!!!

Jen

p.s. Here's a little something for Mike G and Paul:

LOL!

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by alpengeistno3 at 6/6/13 10:25:52 PM
Well, I see Blackbeard is working. Stupid #3 (or is that #4?) I read the best time to do Disney's Safari is 1st thing in the morning. Not just because of the lines at the time, but the animals are more active in the morning, especially the cats and larger animals. Opening the Safari at 12:30 almost guarantees the lions will be pretty uninterested by the time most people final get on.

Are flash passes available for the Safari? That alone could explain the strange practice!

Paul

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/6/13 10:32:01 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Are flash passes available for the Safari? That alone could explain the strange practice!

Paul

Yep - BINGO!

They said they open it earlier on the weekends. That is going to be a NIGHTMARE if they continue to do this throughout the season. It was pretty dead today and the line was insane. Everything else was a walk on at least but I had no intention of doing everything else since I had a bunch of errands to run. I'm still so pissed. If I didn't have some of my best rides of the season I probably would have lost it on someone. KK, Medusa and Nitro calmed me down, LOL.

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by alpengeistno3 at 6/6/13 11:21:07 PM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:


Are flash passes available for the Safari? That alone could explain the strange practice!

Paul

Yep - BINGO!

They said they open it earlier on the weekends. That is going to be a NIGHTMARE if they continue to do this throughout the season. It was pretty dead today and the line was insane. Everything else was a walk on at least but I had no intention of doing everything else since I had a bunch of errands to run. I'm still so pissed. If I didn't have some of my best rides of the season I probably would have lost it on someone. KK, Medusa and Nitro calmed me down, LOL.

Jen

Yeah, they open it earlier because everyone already knows you are screwed without a flash pass on a Saturday!!

I guess everything else was a walk-on because EVERYONE was waiting in that 90 min line for the Safari to open.

"Stupid" may not be the word you are looking for. "Cunning" or "Devious" seems a lot closer (and I don't want to hear anyone else tell me that the company is not installing/operating rides in a manner that encourages Flash Pass use on what should be "slow" days. We could make a separate thread adding up the evidence over the last 3-5 years.

Paul

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/6/13 11:58:13 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:


Are flash passes available for the Safari? That alone could explain the strange practice!

Paul

Yep - BINGO!

They said they open it earlier on the weekends. That is going to be a NIGHTMARE if they continue to do this throughout the season. It was pretty dead today and the line was insane. Everything else was a walk on at least but I had no intention of doing everything else since I had a bunch of errands to run. I'm still so pissed. If I didn't have some of my best rides of the season I probably would have lost it on someone. KK, Medusa and Nitro calmed me down, LOL.

Jen

Yeah, they open it earlier because everyone already knows you are screwed without a flash pass on a Saturday!!

I guess everything else was a walk-on because EVERYONE was waiting in that 90 min line for the Safari to open.

"Stupid" may not be the word you are looking for. "Cunning" or "Devious" seems a lot closer (and I don't want to hear anyone else tell me that the company is not installing/operating rides in a manner that encourages Flash Pass use on what should be "slow" days. We could make a separate thread adding up the evidence over the last 3-5 years.

Paul

*like* button :-)

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/7/13 5:31:11 AM
I see the Log Flume was open. That's good, anyway.

Jen knows this, but I've been going to GAdv since its opening in 1974 (wonder what we'll get for next season's 40th anniversary?)..and I've never been through the safari in any form. I still have practically zero interest, but I might try this if there's 3 peole waiting in front of me, and that ain't happening anytime soon.

Incidentally, Paul, Blackbeard now only runs one cycle. I only had one ride this season on Mothers Day, but that's all she wrote.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by Coaster316 at 6/7/13 7:53:14 AM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:


Are flash passes available for the Safari? That alone could explain the strange practice!

Paul

Yep - BINGO!

This is the best news I've heard all week. Has anybody noticed if the flash passers have a line to wait in once their time comes up or if they run out of availability at the ride early? Six Flags doesn't list the safari on their flash pass website, but if is available that just may change my plans for this or more likely next year.

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/7/13 8:27:09 AM
Great report Jen, I love the honesty. What is surprising to me is that the sign reads that the ride is a hour long. When we were at SF Great Adventure on Easter Sunday/Monday, I was trying to see their progress from the lift hill of Bizarro. I was able to see the animals, but really didn't see any sign of a safari attraction. I would love to check out the safari on my next visit, but I'm not going to wait no more than a hour. At least everyone is standing in line there, which means shorter lines for the coasters. In 2 or 3 years the novelty will wear off and the line will be much shorter. I bet SF Great Adventure wishes there was this much interest when there was an up charge.
Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/7/13 10:34:20 AM
Well, it wasn't always an upcharge in its previous form. I'm not sure exactly when it became one, but I believe it was at least semi-recent. Last 5-6 years, maybe?
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/7/13 1:46:07 PM
Coaster316 said:

This is the best news I've heard all week. Has anybody noticed if the flash passers have a line to wait in once their time comes up or if they run out of availability at the ride early? Six Flags doesn't list the safari on their flash pass website, but if is available that just may change my plans for this or more likely next year.

It's a separate line. If you look at the pic I took from the Best of the West of the queues I'm pretty sure that line you see in front of the fences are the Flash Pass users - the queue farthest to the back by the water is the back - they load from the front of them (they don't leave it and come around where those people were standing). That line was relatively short to go to the platform - it doesn't go as far front as the queues go. I'm sure they're merging them with the people in the pens but I'd say about a 15-20 min wait for that line. I'll know more next week since they said the flash pass and handicap lines are the same.

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/7/13 1:52:40 PM
frontrow said:

Great report Jen, I love the honesty. What is surprising to me is that the sign reads that the ride is a hour long. When we were at SF Great Adventure on Easter Sunday/Monday, I was trying to see their progress from the lift hill of Bizarro. I was able to see the animals, but really didn't see any sign of a safari attraction. I would love to check out the safari on my next visit, but I'm not going to wait no more than a hour. At least everyone is standing in line there, which means shorter lines for the coasters. In 2 or 3 years the novelty will wear off and the line will be much shorter. I bet SF Great Adventure wishes there was this much interest when there was an up charge.

You can really only see the baboons and some hoof stock from Medusa - that safari is HUGE. I heard very good things about it so far. Sounds like they are trying to make it as close to a "real" safari as possible by driving through creeks/lakes, up and down mountains, etc. I know there is an area where you disembark and can feed certain animals (for a fee naturally) and they are going to have that zip line (which to my knowledge is not open yet). Then you have to wait on another line to board another truck back so depending on how long you stay at that area the trip can potentially be very long.

If you come up again this season and I am free I can get the handicap pass so you don't have to wait in that awful line. :-)

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 6/7/13 2:31:56 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Stupid #1: . They actually emptied my entire fanny pack that had barely nothing in it too - what a pain in the ass. LOL!

Here is trick my wife would use at Wonderland, KI, etc. Put a couple of nice tampons right where they open the zipper. Tampons are like Kryptonite to men. LOL!

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by alpengeistno3 at 6/7/13 2:34:46 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Then you have to wait on another line to board another truck back so depending on how long you stay at that area the trip can potentially be very long.

Jen

Say WHA?!?!

Paul

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/7/13 2:36:59 PM
KevinReid said:

GoYanks34 said:


Stupid #1: . They actually emptied my entire fanny pack that had barely nothing in it too - what a pain in the ass. LOL!

Here is trick my wife would use at Wonderland, KI, etc. Put a couple of nice tampons right where they open the zipper. Tampons are like Kryptonite to men. LOL!

Regards,
Kevin Reid

LOL! That's how I used to sneak my camera into concerts. I'd put it in a makeup case and put tampons and pads on top of it and make sure I went to a male security guard!

I had next to nothing in my bag but they were removing EVERYTHING from backpacks, diaper bags, etc instead of just looking through them like they used to do.

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/7/13 2:40:48 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Then you have to wait on another line to board another truck back so depending on how long you stay at that area the trip can potentially be very long.

Jen

Say WHA?!?!

Paul

Yep - that's what I've been told. You get off at a place they call Camp Adventura (or something like that) and you can feed animals and interact with them (probably a petting zoo as well) and then you board another truck back that goes a different route and goes through the other parts of the safari. I don't know if you have to get off or if you can by-pass it and stay on the truck.I'll find out next week and have definite info on it.

Jen

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by Coaster316 at 6/7/13 3:06:26 PM
GoYanks34 said:

It's a separate line. If you look at the pic I took from the Best of the West of the queues I'm pretty sure that line you see in front of the fences are the Flash Pass users - the queue farthest to the back by the water is the back - they load from the front of them (they don't leave it and come around where those people were standing). That line was relatively short to go to the platform - it doesn't go as far front as the queues go. I'm sure they're merging them with the people in the pens but I'd say about a 15-20 min wait for that line. I'll know more next week since they said the flash pass and handicap lines are the same.

Jen

Thanks.

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by alpengeistno3 at 6/8/13 1:36:16 AM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Then you have to wait on another line to board another truck back so depending on how long you stay at that area the trip can potentially be very long.

Jen

Say WHA?!?!

Paul

Yep - that's what I've been told. You get off at a place they call Camp Adventura (or something like that) and you can feed animals and interact with them (probably a petting zoo as well) and then you board another truck back that goes a different route and goes through the other parts of the safari. I don't know if you have to get off or if you can by-pass it and stay on the truck.I'll find out next week and have definite info on it.

Jen

Nice, but it sucks if you choose to get off after waiting 1 1/2 hours and have to wait another hour or more to get back on to return. That just can't work in your favor if the ride is really that popular, especially later in the day.

Paul

Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/9/13 3:29:02 PM
It sucks you didn't get to do what you wanted to do, but that day sounds like a great day!

So so nice of you to give those passes to that fella you met.

Also amazing a worker gave you passes.


Awesome to hear about. Thanks for writing this up :)

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: SF Great Adventure is stupid..... by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 6/20/13 8:26:45 AM
I agree with you Paul. I remember went I went to Great Adventure back in September I bought Platinum Flash Passes on a Sunday. It was very slow. Yet it was so worth it still. No rides had long waits but the twice in a row riding was very nice to have.

BRANDON