Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Silver Dollar City, Monday June 3

Silver Dollar City, Monday June 3

MABrider MABrider Profile

Posted:
6/3/13 at
10:40:37 PM

I visited SDC for my first time today.
Beautiful place. Beautiful.

I was able to use the season pass early entry (8:30) during which time I rode Outlaw Run four times (they didn't open it until 8:45). Then it went down as I was literally walking back around (heard the announcement), and I just never got back over there during the day.
It is a terrific ride, as I was expecting. I rode in row two, last row, row one and row three. Up front is best. I wish the lap bar would stay fixed and not become tighter as that only makes the shin guards press harder. But hey, I can keep a hand under it if need be.

I really liked Powder Keg. Rode twice. Back, then front. Front is the place to be.

I am not sure about Wildfire; took one ride (single train ops!) and it wasn't all that. I noticed this B&M has no mid-course brake/drop.
I was in the last row for that.

Fire in the Hole was OK...experience is almost exactly like Dollywood's Blazing Fury...but today I got head and shoulders wet.
Was in last row (assigned).

Thunderation is a great mine train, thus making that very long pathway to the station worth it. Rode once, last row.
Single train ops, tho.

I took the train ride, lucked out on that too, as it was ready to leave a minute after I boarded. And it takes 30 minutes, 15 or so stopped for the "show" put on by two "dumbass brother" bad guys purporting to rob the train.
Does anyone know Sir Willow here on URC, real name George?
I've never met him and the station guys told me he was one of the train "robbers" today; turns out they are actually two "dumbass" backwoods brothers. I knew it was George was playing the smarter of the two, and was great in the role, as were the other players. I enjoyed that part of the ride a lot.
George, I was on the first train of the day, the one where the woman participant answered "yes" to a question your roles assumed would be "no" thus adding to the hilarity. And, I thought one of the station guys was you!

I did the Silver Dollar Saloon show, and that worked in my favor.
I was one of the last patrons through the door, so I asked a woman in character garb if she could find a single unused chair (turned out she had a main role). She paraded me down to the front...where two families had gathered and had one vacant chair. I sat literally directly in front of the piano player and drummer. During the show, one of the saloon girls sat on my lap (I managed a squeeze), then main character "Charlie" gave me some grief about it; him thinking she is his girlfriend.

Marvel Cave, what a marvel!
And what a trek, 500 stairs indeed. I'm glad my knees and ankles held up.
Quite impressive and absolutely unique.

I rode a few other rides in the park, too, and was able to meander, and mindlessly wander in a leisurely pace all day (admittedly while checking the park map often and asking for assistance here and there).

At 6 PM the park closes but the GAC show in the huge amphitheater goes on, so I sat in on that. Nice live music, singing, dancing, and all that. They broke for intermission about half way through, I left then.

A nice day, good weather, no humidity, temps mid seventies.
And sun? What sun? It barely touched me all day, and I know when I looked up through the trees, it was shining!
Trees.
Trees.
Did I say trees!
If there is anything I will remember about SDC it is trees!

Tomorrow I will return at 8:30 for more, and will leave mid afternoon at the latest for my 3.5 hour drive back to KC for my two days at Worlds of Fun starting Wednesday, where I expect the sun will hit me full force (if it is shining).

Mike B.
Re: Silver Dollar City, Monday June 3 by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/3/13 10:48:27 PM
Great report. You couldn't have asked for better weather out there today.

Yes, I was one of the robbers. I was the short one- the "smart" one on that particular train- yes, I do remember it quite well. I could tell you some things about it, but I don't want to play the spoiler for those that haven't been on the train before. But yes, it's quite a fun ride. I tell people if they are coming to SDC, there are a few things they have to do- the cave, Fire in the Hole (which Blazing Fury is actually a copy of), and our train. Looks like you covered all 3.

I hope we made your day worth it. Be sure to take a ride on the Flooded Mine. It's 40 years old this year, I believe. It shows it's age a bit, but it's a fun little floating dark ride with the scoring guns added.

I won't be out there the next couple of days- I actually have days off! But take a couple more rides on Outlaw Run for me. Love that coaster.

Re: Silver Dollar City, Monday June 3 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/4/13 12:25:50 PM
Awesome TR! I hope that squeeze wasn't an actual thing that happened...but I digress.

I have read a few reviews of this place, and with the unique coasters, setting, and the caves, it makes me really want to get out there and enjoy that park.

Also cool to see someone reply that works there.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Silver Dollar City, Monday June 3 by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/4/13 3:52:53 PM
mugen828 said:

Also cool to see someone reply that works there.

Hehe, I've been around these boards much longer than I've worked at theme parks. :)

Re: Silver Dollar City, Monday June 3 by RobLec RobLec Profile at 6/5/13 6:24:54 AM
SirWillow said:
Hehe, I've been around these boards much longer than I've worked at theme parks. :)

Yes, we had the pleasure of meeting up with SirWillow when he worked at Epcot a few years back, then again in Branson before he started at SDC. (Thanks again for all you do!)

For anyone visiting SDC it may be worth your while to schedule your trip for the spring time so you can catch the bluegrass festival, even if you are not a fan of the genre... sort of like catching the Festival of Nations at Dollywood. It's loads of fun, and probably even more so for those who may be fans of country music.

BTW yes, the Flooded Mine if a fun little ride. Unfortunately I could not partake of the silver mine tour due to physical limitations. The coasters are all fun though none exceptional other than Powderkeg for its uniqueness, and perhaps Wildfire for the visuals. Thunderation will remind many of Adventure Express.

Thanks for the TR, Mike. I'm not sure if we'll ever get back to SDC again to ride Outlaw Run. But for those who have never visited this park, like Dollywood it is a refreshing little place with lots to discover that you can easily do in one day at your leisure... other than the hills, which may be challenging to some, but are largely responsible of the park's charm.

Re: Silver Dollar City, Monday June 3 by Coaster316 at 6/6/13 9:30:29 AM
Glad you had a great time, Mike. I figured you would.

If Silver Dollar City were just a bit more convenient for me to get to it would probably be one of my must-visit parks. I absolutely love it. Was really upset last year when I had to cancel a trip planned to go for their Christmas event at the last minute due to work.

A couple of comments....

MABrider said:

I am not sure about Wildfire; took one ride (single train ops!) and it wasn't all that. I noticed this B&M has no mid-course brake/drop.
I was in the last row for that.

I am a big fan of Wildfire for the location alone. The best view from a rollercoaster I can remember.

MABrider said:

Thunderation is a great mine train, thus making that very long pathway to the station worth it. Rode once, last row.
Single train ops, tho.

Agreed. Last time I was there I went right to Thunderation when the park opened. As I was walking through the path to get to the station one of the workers yelled down for me to hurry up. Scared the daylights out of me at first because I didn't see him, but we shared a laugh when I finally got up to the station.

MABrider said:

I took the train ride, lucked out on that too, as it was ready to leave a minute after I boarded. And it takes 30 minutes, 15 or so stopped for the "show" put on by two "dumbass brother" bad guys purporting to rob the train.

Another awesome ride at SDC. Would enjoy the opportunity to meet George there some day.

MABrider said:

At 6 PM the park closes but the GAC show in the huge amphitheater goes on, so I sat in on that. Nice live music, singing, dancing, and all that. They broke for intermission about half way through, I left then.

If I ran a park, I'd save a show for park closing time, too. Such a great idea to keep people in the park all day, to leave one final great memory for people leaving, and to give those who choose to go the opportunity to leave without dealing with typical end-of-day traffic. Silver Dollar City's, in my opinion, ranks as one of my favorite in-park shows ever. I saw it several years ago, so I don't know how much its changed, but when a little girl led the crowd in a standing ovation after a piano solo I can remember sitting back and thinking that I was going to remember that show for a long time...and I have.

Thanks for posting the report, Mike.

Jeff

Re: Silver Dollar City, Monday June 3 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/6/13 9:38:52 AM
Great report. I'm hoping to visit Silver Dollar City for the first time ever in September. I have meetings in Paducah KY, and it looks like Branson is only 4 hours away. Can't wait to ride Outlaw Run.