Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 3 Darien Lake

Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 3 Darien Lake

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
5/31/13 at
12:43:01 PM

We arrived at Darien Lake at 9:45, for a 10:30 opening. I thought our hotel in Rochester was a little further from the park than it actually was. We parked the car and made our way to entrance. They let us in and I stated taking a few photos. A security guard informed me that Ride of Steel was open, so we hustled that way.

Now my last and only visit to Darien Lake was in 2000. Ride of Steel was only a year old. I rode it 6 times that day and loved it. In fact, up until this trip, I still had it in my top 15 steel coasters. Back to 2013, we walked onto the back, which was my favorite seat in 2000. As the train crested the lift hill, I was expecting a fast air time filled ride. Well, that didn't happen. Very weak air time on the second hill. The third hill still has ejector air, but then that's it. The train was struggling to get through the helixes. Another good moment of air after the first helix. The last 3 bunny hops are pitiful. I think they purposely slowed it down, or maybe it just hasn't been taken care of. I just rode Superman ROS at Six Flags America last year. That one is running better. Ride of Steel at DL is a ton slower. We got back in line and waited about 6 trains for the front. The front was better, but not as good as it used to be. There is only 1 train operating at this time. The ride op told us the other train is in for overhaul. Ride of Steel dropped a bunch of spots my list.

By this time it was 10:30 and everything else had just opened. We went over to Predator and rode in the front. On my last visit this coaster was rough, but I did like the layout. Our front seat was great; very smooth with some air time. We grabbed a back seat ride. The back was a little rough, but tolerable. We enjoyed our front seat ride much more.

Next we went over to Boomerang. We rode the front and the poached a ride somewhere in the middle. This Vekoma boomerang is a good one, much smoother than The Bat at Canada's Wonderland. The setting for this coaster is really nice also. It right on the lake/pond.

Next we headed for Moto Coaster. This was the only coaster that Darien Lake has added since my visit in 2000. We waited about 20 minutes and got row 4. It's really neat to ride a coaster, motorcycle style. The ride was fun and the launch was more forceful than I expected. It's a great concept. I just wish the ride was longer.

We then headed over to Viper, an Arrow looping coaster. I really liked that coaster on my previous visit, but it has gotten really rough. That one ride is all we wanted.

We then took in some flats. We rode a swinging pirate ship that goes completely upside down called Ranger. The ride looks really nice. Kennywood had the same model for a very short period of time when I was a young child. Well, we rode Ranger, but never again. The restraint was too loose on me and I kept hitting my head off the top. There was padding up there, but my neck was killing me when we got off.

As we were in the area we rode Hornets Nest(flyers), which they were decent, but the ones at Seabreeze were better. My daughter talked me into.riding Moose on the Loose. It's a cute kids ride that was new for last year. You ride a moose in a carousel horse fassion along a rail. It was really unique, but it is a kids ride. We jumped on Sleigh Ride, a himula type ride, and it was pretty good.

Mind Eraser was the last coaster on the agenda, a Vekoma invert. I didn't like it before, and now really don't like it. It was very rough, rougher than most of It's type.

The park was starting to get a little crowded. Tim McGraw was playing at the park at 7:00. My daughter asked if we could ride the Ferris Wheel. Apparently she has never ridden one, so I made sure we did. We rode a few other flats like Pirate, swinging pirate ship, the bumper cars, Lasso, a wave swinger, Corn Popper, and Haymaker, a modern day version of the paratrooper.

It was about 4:30 and the park was really getting packed, so we decided to head out. All in all I really enjoyed our visit to Darien Lake. I really like the park. It has such a beautiful setting. Not much has changed at DL in the past 13 years and I mean that in a good way. The ride ops were slow, but the park was exceptionally clean. We did stop at Conneaut on the way home for a hour and half. I already commented on Ray P's TR, so I'll leave it that. We had a wonderful time, with cool, sunny weather. The best part was I had 0 walks of shame, I fit on everything. Even at Kings Island on Wednesday, I fit on everything. Some rides I was in there really tight, so I have to keep up my diet and exercise. I still have a long way to go.before I reach my goal, but I'm headed in the right direction.

Thanks for reading,
Ken

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 3 Darien Lake by antikythera antikythera Profile at 6/2/13 1:05:07 AM
Did the mirror image of Ride of Steel throw you off?

The one at SFA is in my top ten, but I'm afraid if I ride the DL version, it'll throw my perception off of the ride, if not lower my ranking like it did for you.

* This post was modified at 6/2/13 1:07:12 AM *

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 3 Darien Lake by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/2/13 10:26:38 PM
antikythera said:

Did the mirror image of Ride of Steel throw you off?

The one at SFA is in my top ten, but I'm afraid if I ride the DL version, it'll throw my perception off of the ride, if not lower my ranking like it did for you.

The one at Darien Lake used to just as good if not better than the one at Six Flags America. I don't know what happened, but it was 13 in between rides on the at Darien Lake. We rode the one at SFAmerica last year and its still running great. I also have the one at SF America in my top 10.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 3 Darien Lake by drachen drachen Profile at 6/2/13 11:17:43 PM
Ride of Steel can't hold a candle to Superman at Six Flags America, which is still one of this country's truly great coasters.

It's got to be the wheels on DL's version. SFA's ride runs so much faster. It makes a huge difference, obviously.

I wish they would have painted RoS a different color this time around. When I was there last summer, they had started to paint it red again. A different color to further distinguish it from the Maryland ride would have been neat to see.

I didn't get on a lot of flats at Darien. Most were closed the day I went, which was odd.

I agree about Moto Coaster. It's a really fun ride. I'd like to see more of them. I found Mind Eraser to ride pretty well considering its appearance. I was a big fan of Predator too. It rode great in the front an back last season.

Congrats on the great start to your season. You're really making your rounds!

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 3 Darien Lake by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 6/2/13 11:44:53 PM
Yeah...Ride Of Steel used to be a top ten steel for me and was considered to be much better than the one at SFA.I wonder what happened???
Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 3 Darien Lake by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 6/5/13 6:19:02 PM
drachen said:

Ride of Steel can't hold a candle to Superman at Six Flags America, which is still one of this country's truly great coasters.

It's got to be the wheels on DL's version. SFA's ride runs so much faster. It makes a huge difference, obviously.

I agree about Moto Coaster. It's a really fun ride. I'd like to see more of them. I found Mind Eraser to ride pretty well considering its appearance. I was a big fan of Predator too. It rode great in the front an back last season.

I've never ridden it, but please explain how Superman DR is so amazing. It just looks dull - a few hills and some monotonous helices...from the videos I just don't get it.

And it is odd that the two mirrored coasters run and different speeds. Yeah, the wheels/rolling stock I guess?

Moto coaster is fun. I rode one in Guatemala. Yes, very short, and after the launch just a few figure-8s, but still cool, especially for kids.

- Pat-O

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 3 Darien Lake by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/5/13 6:49:41 PM
LoneStar said:

drachen said:

I've never ridden it, but please explain how Superman DR is so amazing. It just looks dull - a few hills and some monotonous helices...from the videos I just don't get it.

And it is odd that the two mirrored coasters run and different speeds. Yeah, the wheels/rolling stock I guess?

Moto coaster is fun. I rode one in Guatemala. Yes, very short, and after the launch just a few figure-8s, but still cool, especially for kids.

- Pat-O

I first rode both coasters in 2000. The one at Darien Lake was a year old and the one at Six Flags America was brand new. At that time the one at Darien Lake was better. It was fast, full of ejector air time, over the water, and even had a fog element at the bottom of the first drop. Last year I returned to Six Flags America and rode Superman ROS 6 times; once in the front and 5 in the back seat. Our 3 morning rides were very good, but when we returned in the afternoon, those rides were incredible. Superman ROS at SF America has ejector air throughout the entire ride, some of the best air time I have ever experienced; in the league as El Toro. The helixes are very fast and forceful. That coaster has gotten better with age. Ride of Steel at Darien Lake has done the opposite. The helixes are slow, the 2nd hill has very little air time, and they put brakes on the last 2 bunny hops. Now the first drop is still good, and the third hill still has ejector type air time, and the hill right before the last 2 bunny hops has really good air time. All in all the one at Darien Lake is still a pretty decent.ride. It's just not as good as it used to be. The next time you make that Busch Gardens/ Kings Dominion trip check.Superman ROS at SF America. I know I was really impressed with it last year. It actually made it into my top 10 favorite steel coasters at #9, right behind Titan.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 3 Darien Lake by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/5/13 6:52:40 PM
Sorry guys. I accidentally double posted.

* This post was modified at 6/5/13 6:56:07 PM *

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 3 Darien Lake by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/5/13 7:25:55 PM
I agree with Ken - Superman at SFA is a very good coaster. Has great air time and a really good first drop as well. I have never been to Darien Lake so I can't compare them but I loved the one at SFA. My only complaint was that they hit the brakes HARD at the end and my first ride nearly shattered my kneecap! Slammed into the seat in front of me. Once I learned to brace for it I was fine so if you do go remember to brace yourself after the last bunny hill!

Jen