Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze

Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
5/31/13 at
10:27:43 AM

The plan was to wake up early on Saturday morning and go to Niagara Falls for a hour or two. When my alarm went off I attempted to wake my daughter up. After a very long day at Canada's Wonderland, the day before, she wanted more sleep. We finally did wake up at 10:00. Martin's Fantasy Island didn't open until 11:30 and our hotel was only 12 miles away, so we had some time to grab some breakfast and purchase Darien Lake discount tickets at Tops Grocery Store.

We arrived at Martin's Fantasy Island at 11:15, purchased out tickets and headed straight for Silver Comet, a CCI wooden coaster. We were immediately told that Silver Comet, would be late opening. So we headed over to Mind Warp. Mind Warp is a flat ride that acts as a frisbee, but goes completely upside down. When you think the ride is over, it starts again, with the seat flipping at the same time. Not only was this the best flat ride of the trip, Mind Warp made my top 10 in all time favorite flat rides. We managed to get 2 rides.

Next we headed for Mega Disk O. The name speaks for itself. We only rode it once, but our cycle was very long. We then headed into Devil's Hole, a Rotor type ride. I used to love
The Rotor at Kennywood and Hershey. I've come to the conclusion that I don't like those type of rides anymore.

By this time Silver Comet had opened. They made us grab the 3rd row for our first ride. We would eventually ride the front and the back. The operations were ridiculous. You are not allowed to lower your lap bar. If someone does, they reset and do it all again. Maintenance would greese the wheels after every cycle. With only a 2 train wait, it took a hour to get 3 rides. It was very frustrating, to say the least. The coaster was smooth, and had a little air time. It did get jerky in 2 instances. It was mediocre. I was expecting it to be better.

We then grabbed a ride on Crazy Mouse, a spinning coaster. I've ridden several of these. Exterminator at Kennywood being the best, and the one at Martin's Fantasy Island being the worst. We then rode a few flats like Flight, a small version of a Sky Screamer, The Tilt A Wirl, which was a pretty good one, Full Tilt, which is simular to Ali Buba at Waldameer, but on a smaller scale.

We grabbed a ride on their kiddie coaster, and by this time it was 2:30. We then headed for Seabreeze in Rochester NY. I was not impressed with Martin's Fantasy Island. I doubt I ever will visit again. I'm glad I got to ride Silver Comet and Mind Warp, but there really is nothing else there. I didn't even like the park.

We arrived at Seabreeze at 3:45. I could tell from the parking.lot that this park was much better than Martin's Fantasy Island. We headed strait for The Jack Rabbit, a John Miller classic wooden coaster. One guy was operating the levers, letting people in, and checking the restraints. It was amazing how fast he was dispatching trains. We rode the front first. Later we grabbed a back seat ride and another front seat ride. We liked the front much more. The coaster was very smooth with a little bit of air time. My favorite part was the ending, a drop inside a tunnel. We both liked Jack Rabbit more than Silver Comet.

We then went over to Bobsleds, a very unique coaster that used to be a junior woodie, but converted into a steel coaster. It reminded me of Wildcat at Cedar Point. It wasn't anything spectacular, but it was a lot fun. We ended up with 2 rides on it.

Next we went over to Wirl Wind, a spinning coaster simular to Steel Dragon at Waldameer. I don't know how to spell the manufacturers name, Mauher Sourn? I don't know why but I liked Wirl Wind much more than Steel Dragon. We ended up riding it 4 times.

We then started riding some flats; Sea Dragon, a swinging pirate ship, Tilt A Wirl, Music Express, Yo Yo ( swings), and the Tea Cups. We also rode the flyers, which were really good, and Screamin Eagle, a ride made by Zamperla simular to Kennywood's Aero 360 or Dorney's Meteor. We took a ride on their gorgeous carousel and learned a little about the history of the park. They had a time line posted on the walls of the building the carousel was in. We rode the bumper cars, and I was really impressed with them. Some of the best bumper cars that I have ever ridden.

We stayed at the park until closing, 8:00. We would have stayed later if the park was open later. Not only was our hotel only 15 minutes away, but we loved Seabreeze. The park is very small, but has a beautiful setting along Lake Ontario. No matter if the rides were built in 1920 or last year, everything looked brand new. Everything was just in immaculate condition. There were a good number of people at that small park. We even met enthusiasts from Atlanta Georgia, while in line for The Jack Rabbit. They were doing the same trip we were only in reverse order. My only complaint about the park is that it doesn't have a destination coaster. Nonetheless, I plan on visiting Seabreeze again, the next time I'm in the area. Seabreeze is just a lot fun and a real gem.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/31/13 11:52:04 AM
I've not been to Fantasy Island, with Mr. Roarke or not. But I enjoyed the heck outta Seabreeze. The Jackrabbit operator situation was the same on my visit in 2011, and I was impressed with the fella working it. I rode the Bobs over a dozen times, the operator was rally nice and gave me a lot of background on the ride and the park. I thought the Bobs were one of the most unique coasters I've been on, and one of the most purely FUN coasters I've been on in recent years, along with Wooden Warrior.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/31/13 12:56:52 PM
frontrow said:

I don't know why but I liked Wirl Wind much more than Steel Dragon. We ended up riding it 4 times.

Nice to see that others share the same opinion. I believe WhirlWind spins much faster and much easier than its Waldameer counterpart. Still one of the best coaster rides I have ever had on any coaster was when Jeff M and I were on one side of a WhirlWind car and no one was on the other. Halfway through the ride, the car spun out of control until we hit the brakes. It was awesome!

Seabreeze is just a lot fun and a real gem.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for the TR. Makes me want to head out there again this year!

* This post was modified at 5/31/13 3:02:49 PM *

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/31/13 1:05:23 PM
beastmaster said:

I've not been to Fantasy Island, with Mr. Roarke or not. But I enjoyed the heck outta Seabreeze. The Jackrabbit operator situation was the same on my visit in 2011, and I was impressed with the fella working it. I rode the Bobs over a dozen times, the operator was rally nice and gave me a lot of background on the ride and the park. I thought the Bobs were one of the most unique coasters I've been on, and one of the most purely FUN coasters I've been on in recent years, along with Wooden Warrior.

Mike

The park was pretty crowded. We probably waited 15 minutes both times we rode Bobsleds. Jack Rabbit had about the same wait time. Wirl Wind was a 5-10 minute wait.WWe would have loved to stay later and get more rides In, but I'm sure we will revisit.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/31/13 1:31:28 PM
Glad you had a good time. Martins wasn't much but overal when you get a full train I loved Siver Comet. Only problem that on our visit we only had one ride with a full train. It was so slow on our visit that after several dozen Silver Comet rides and a few others. We left a hour before the park was scheduled to close. WITH ALL THE EMPLOYEES FOLLOWING US AS WE WERE THE ONLY ONES IN THE PARK.

I absolutely love Seabreeze and Jack Rabbit is fun in the second seat. Coming out of that dip in the tunnel it actually tosses you toward the roof of the tunnel. Everything about that park was great except it's Yo-Yo didn't YO.

:)

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/31/13 6:02:44 PM
I assume John Miller really liked jack Rabbits, LOL! Glad you ended your day better than it started! Sea Breeze sounds like a great park.

Jen

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/31/13 7:58:45 PM
I have been to Martins Fantasy Island twice.It is small but I enjoy the park for what it is.Surprised you did not like Silver Comet.This is a top woodie in the country and still delivers quite well.Maybe you were not in the right frame of mind or did not have a great seat.I never been to Seabreeze but I have been wanting to check it out.
Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/31/13 9:34:32 PM
chitlins73 said:

I have been to Martins Fantasy Island twice.It is small but I enjoy the park for what it is.Surprised you did not like Silver Comet.This is a top woodie in the country and still delivers quite well.Maybe you were not in the right frame of mind or did not have a great seat.I never been to Seabreeze but I have been wanting to check it out.

Maintenance was greasing the wheels after every cycle and it was really cold in the morning. I thought it was smooth, and a decent coaster, it just fell short of my expectations. I think you're right about my frame of mind. I was frustrated and irritated by the extremely slow loading process. Maybe I'll give Silver Comet another go someday when the weather is hot.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/1/13 11:48:46 AM
GoYanks34 said:

I assume John Miller really liked jack Rabbits, LOL! Glad you ended your day better than it started! Sea Breeze sounds like a great park.

Jen

Seabreeze is kinda like Kennywood as they kept a lot of old stuff and have some new stuff combined. I know your more about the big Coaster parks Jen But my favorite smaller parks rank as Rye Playland, Kennywood, knoebels, Seabreeze and Adventurland Iowa. Im told that small park out in Colorado would be right up my alley, Name is escaping me right now but its not Elitch.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/1/13 11:50:35 AM
chitlins73 said:

Silver Comet is sure a quirky ride. It don't have a ton of anything but it does a lot in its space. Lots of latterals thats for sure. Kinda like Legend but not the same setting or layout at all.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/1/13 11:53:51 AM
frontrow said:

chitlins73 said:

Maintenance was greasing the wheels after every cycle and it was really cold in the morning. I thought it was smooth, and a decent coaster, it just fell short of my expectations. I think you're right about my frame of mind. I was frustrated and irritated by the extremely slow loading process. Maybe I'll give Silver Comet another go someday when the weather is hot.

Thats weird that you say they were greasing the wheels every cycle. My friend Jeff Hammersley who used to take care of Holiday Worlds coaster said he made the mistake of greaseing every car every day and Legend ran like Crap until he figured out that you only grease one car each day and take the seventh day off. Then it flew.
Might have been running bad for you. We didn't get to many rides with too many people on it other than me and my brother. I think the park had a picnic and a few stragglers like us in it and when they left me and him were the only ones in the park from 2-4pm.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/1/13 1:09:38 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Im told that small park out in Colorado would be right up my alley, Name is escaping me right now but its not Elitch.

Lakeside?

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/1/13 1:11:13 PM
beastmaster said:

CoasterFanatic said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Im told that small park out in Colorado would be right up my alley, Name is escaping me right now but its not Elitch.

Lakeside?

Yeah, Lakeside, Right up my alley!

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by Coaster316 at 6/1/13 3:49:09 PM
Great report.

I absolutely love reading first time reports from Seabreeze, especially from people who truly get the vibe there. Now, I'm trying to think of a way to sneak up there this year.

Thanks for posting.

Jeff

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/1/13 10:53:38 PM
Up until a few years ago I really didn't care for small parks. In fact I have bypassed some of them on my coaster trips. Now I'm really starting to appreciate them. Canobie Lake park, Lake Winnie, Fun Town/ Slash Town USA, Silverwood, and Morey's are high on my must do list. I do have plans on going to Lake Winnie in August. I think next year we are going to do a coaster trip in New England and upstate NY. I'll probably never make it to parks like Silverwood or Lagoon. Morey's will become a priority when they build that GCI wooden coaster. I've been to Knoebles, Lakemont, Conneaut,Lake Compounce, Holiday World, Beech Bend, Indiana Beach, My. Olympus, Waldameer, Seabreeze, Martin's Fantasy Island, and Idelwild. A friend of mine on Facebook wants me to visit Dutch Wonderland, which I eventually will. Kingdom Coaster is the only wooden coaster in PA that I haven't ridden. We wanted to visit Adventureland in Iowa last year, but just didn't have the time. The next time we are out that way, we will visit. My question is are there any other small parks that I haven't mention that should be on my list?
Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 6/2/13 12:39:19 PM
I know Silverwood is outta the way and a tough park to get to but I am gonna make it there someday.The park has two great woodies and one of them is ranked really high!! Silverwood is on my bucket list.
Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by drachen drachen Profile at 6/2/13 11:11:49 PM
Great read, Ken. I'm glad you made it to both parks.

I agree with everything you said about Martin's, except that I really liked Silver Comet. The loading procedure is downright annoying, and the attitude the ride-ops display is just awful. Aside from that, it was a really good coaster, I thought.

Seabreeze is an absolute gem of a park, and I'm glad you found it. I only spent a few hours there, like you. But I could have spent the whole day had I had more time.

I'll be back up that way in July, so I will be back at Seabreeze, this time with the wife and kids.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/3/13 2:23:43 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Seabreeze is kinda like Kennywood as they kept a lot of old stuff and have some new stuff combined. I know your more about the big Coaster parks Jen But my favorite smaller parks rank as Rye Playland, Kennywood, knoebels, Seabreeze and Adventurland Iowa. Im told that small park out in Colorado would be right up my alley, Name is escaping me right now but its not Elitch.

Chuck,

That's not entirely true. I practically lived at Rye Playland during the late 90's/early 2000's and I love that place (and I'm a little worried about what's happening with it now). I have a lot of great memories there. I love Knoebels as well. Adventureland in Iowa is a very quaint park with some nice theming and had some good flats (great Frisbee and drop tower) but the coasters were in desperate need of attention. The steel ones were downright painful and the woodies had potential but were so rough and badly needed retracking. I can appreciate the smaller parks, I just don't think any of them are worth a specific visit alone if traveling from a distance. If I can make them part of an overall trip I would go to any park, no matter how small, if it was on my way/not too far out of the way to wherever I was going. I had a great time at Kennywood and can certainly appreciate the nostalgia but it's not worth a long trip with a hotel stay over just for the park IMO. Would I go back? Absolutely - the next time I go to Cedar Point or even Kings Island it would be on the way and I'd definitely make a stop there but I wouldn't drive 6 hours each way needing a hotel stay for it (and the hotels in that area aren't cheap!).

Jen

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/3/13 3:10:47 PM
GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Chuck,

That's not entirely true. I practically lived at Rye Playland during the late 90's/early 2000's and I love that place (and I'm a little worried about what's happening with it now). I have a lot of great memories there. I love Knoebels as well. Adventureland in Iowa is a very quaint park with some nice theming and had some good flats (great Frisbee and drop tower) but the coasters were in desperate need of attention. The steel ones were downright painful and the woodies had potential but were so rough and badly needed retracking. I can appreciate the smaller parks, I just don't think any of them are worth a specific visit alone if traveling from a distance. If I can make them part of an overall trip I would go to any park, no matter how small, if it was on my way/not too far out of the way to wherever I was going. I had a great time at Kennywood and can certainly appreciate the nostalgia but it's not worth a long trip with a hotel stay over just for the park IMO. Would I go back? Absolutely - the next time I go to Cedar Point or even Kings Island it would be on the way and I'd definitely make a stop there but I wouldn't drive 6 hours each way needing a hotel stay for it (and the hotels in that area aren't cheap!).

Jen

I get ya Jen, We planned out trips out so we hit big parks on monday-Weds and did the small parks on Fri and Saturdays. We'd take a week and head up through PA do a several parks, In 2001 and 2008 we took huge trips and hit the bigs and smalls.

BTW, It took me 6 visits to Kennywood to get THUNDERBOLT and 7 visits to get the best on Jack Rabbit, Up until then I considered Racer the best LOL

If your guide didn't get you some Kennywood Fries, They failed Misserably! LOL :)

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/3/13 7:03:01 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

I get ya Jen, We planned out trips out so we hit big parks on monday-Weds and did the small parks on Fri and Saturdays. We'd take a week and head up through PA do a several parks, In 2001 and 2008 we took huge trips and hit the bigs and smalls.

BTW, It took me 6 visits to Kennywood to get THUNDERBOLT and 7 visits to get the best on Jack Rabbit, Up until then I considered Racer the best LOL

If your guide didn't get you some Kennywood Fries, They failed Misserably! LOL :)

LOL - I had fries with the chicken tenders I got for lunch - does that count?

I LOVED Jack Rabbit the first time we rode - I had to go on again. The air time is AMAZING especially considering its age. I was laughing the entire ride. It is such a fun coaster to ride.

I don't get the mobius coaster thing - it just doesn't make sense in my head. How can it only be one track with 2 trains and be a racing coaster?! Even reading up on it (there's not much about them) I still don't quite get it. I stopped trying....

As far as Thunderbolt goes it did nothing for me. I liked the other 2 woodies much better.

I think Kennywood is a great smaller park with a lot of historical rides that are fairly well kept considering their age. I think they need to change their pricing policy though - when Ken told me how much a season pass costs and does not include their fright fest version my jaw dropped. I paid nearly the same for my SFGAdv pass and that is not only for the entire season but includes the water park as well.

I'm sure I'll be back there again soon enough and we can see if my opinion changes on the woodies!

Jen

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by alpengeistno3 at 6/3/13 8:14:00 PM
GoYanks34 said:

I don't get the mobius coaster thing - it just doesn't make sense in my head. How can it only be one track with 2 trains and be a racing coaster?! Even reading up on it (there's not much about them) I still don't quite get it. I stopped trying....

Jen

The whole thing baffled me (watching video of Montana Rusa over and over to try and figure it out), until I finally rode Racer at KW. Basically, on all standard racing coasters, the trains do one of two things; they split from each other upon exiting the station (ie Rebel Yell/KI Racer/Thunder Road) or they stay side by side the entire course (ie Rolling Thunder/I think American Eagle). The ones that split will split again on the turnaround (see RY's turnaround). This will put the trains back in their respective stations.

KW's Racer splits when it exits the station, but the trains never split again, reversing their return stations. That's all there is to it.

Paul

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/3/13 8:22:07 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

The whole thing baffled me (watching video of Montana Rusa over and over to try and figure it out), until I finally rode Racer at KW. Basically, on all standard racing coasters, the trains do one of two things; they split from each other upon exiting the station (ie Rebel Yell/KI Racer/Thunder Road) or they stay side by side the entire course (ie Rolling Thunder/I think American Eagle). The ones that split will split again on the turnaround (see RY's turnaround). This will put the trains back in their respective stations.

KW's Racer splits when it exits the station, but the trains never split again, reversing their return stations. That's all there is to it.

Paul

But don't all the others have 2 separate tracks? That's what I don't understand - that the entire coaster is on the same track but yet has 2 separate trains running at the same time side by side. I understand what you're saying about the return to the station. I don't get the whole one track with 2 trains that race part.

Jen

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by alpengeistno3 at 6/3/13 10:48:11 PM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Paul

But don't all the others have 2 separate tracks? That's what I don't understand - that the entire coaster is on the same track but yet has 2 separate trains running at the same time side by side. I understand what you're saying about the return to the station. I don't get the whole one track with 2 trains that race part.

Jen

Don't forget, the mobius thing is older than sin. (Wasn't Racer built in the 1920's?) There is a reason why parks don't do it any more. At least you can bet that both stations will ALWAYS be open when you go to Kennywood :)

Paul

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by frontrow frontrow Profile at 6/4/13 8:33:14 AM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Paul

Jen

Try to imagine say boarding on the right side, and instead of the left side loading it would have a station fly by. After your station fly by you would climb the lift hill on the opposite side of the first time you climbed it. Then you would run the tracks opposite of what you just ran. In the end you would return to were you boarded. It's hard to explain. If we rode the Auto Race at Kennywood it would be easier to understand. The Auto Race has a track layout that is simular.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/4/13 9:17:53 AM
I hope there won't be a quiz on this at Hershey in three weeks. Studying Mobius is low on my priority list right now.
Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/4/13 4:24:28 PM
beastmaster said:

I hope there won't be a quiz on this at Hershey in three weeks. Studying Mobius is low on my priority list right now.

Study up my friend - I have lots of questions! :-)

I get the one track thing I think - it's like building one coaster and then crossing out from where you ended/started to build another until it comes full circle again, right? I don't get how you can separately operate 2 trains simultaneously side by side without the potential for serious consequences though.

Jen

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/4/13 5:54:37 PM
No answers from me..You're the doctor. Besides, I'll be on Lightning Racer during the quiz...and will assuredly NOT be thinking about this subject while riding. Besides, Ken and Paul will be there..you don't need nuttin' from me.
Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by alpengeistno3 at 6/4/13 6:39:50 PM
GoYanks34 said:

I don't get how you can separately operate 2 trains simultaneously side by side without the potential for serious consequences though.

Jen

I have only been to Kennywood twice, so I may have to let Ken or Judy break this one down for you more accurately. By my recollection, KW only had 2 trains for the ride, so the station acts a mid course brake. If for whatever reason the other train did not return to the station, they would not be able to dispatch until it is corrected.

It is possible to run 4 trains as long as the brake run is long enough to stack the trains when the crew is inevitably not able to get them ready before the 1st set returns. I don't recall the brake run being very long and the free-for-all loading method does not lend to very quick dispatches, so forget about that.

The good thing about a mobius layout; when running both trains, it is certain that you will get a race. (none of that Rolling Thunder nonsense is possible!)

Paul

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/4/13 6:46:21 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

I don't get how you can separately operate 2 trains simultaneously side by side without the potential for serious consequences though.

Jen

I have only been to Kennywood twice, so I may have to let Ken or Judy break this one down for you more accurately. By my recollection, KW only had 2 trains for the ride, so the station acts a mid course brake. If for whatever reason the other train did not return to the station, they would not be able to dispatch until it is corrected.

It is possible to run 4 trains as long as the brake run is long enough to stack the trains when the crew is inevitably not able to get them ready before the 1st set returns. I don't recall the brake run being very long and the free-for-all loading method does not lend to very quick dispatches, so forget about that.

The good thing about a mobius layout; when running both trains, it is certain that you will get a race. (none of that Rolling Thunder nonsense is possible!)

Paul

So the same set of controls operates both trains? That's what confuses me. I feel like each train should have separate controls but if they are on the same track how is that possible?

It would be nice if all racers were actually forced to race. I actually smile and it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when I see Rolling Thunder racing. I almost forget for a moment how horribly deteriorated it is....

Jen

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by alpengeistno3 at 6/4/13 7:26:32 PM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Paul

So the same set of controls operates both trains? That's what confuses me. I feel like each train should have separate controls but if they are on the same track how is that possible?

It would be nice if all racers were actually forced to race. I actually smile and it makes me all warm and fuzzy inside when I see Rolling Thunder racing. I almost forget for a moment how horribly deteriorated it is....

Jen

If I remember correctly, both tracks operated just like a regular racer, ie separate controls/board op for each side. The station ops did check both trains before dispatch, though. It is possible to run without racing, as long as the other train is dispatched before the first crests the lift. But Kennywood seems to make sure that doesn't happen.

A well-timed Rebel Yell race always puts a smile on my face. Ever since they slowed down the North(?) side lift motor, it is a rare occurrence. Even when the ops are trying!!

Paul

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/4/13 9:49:11 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

If I remember correctly, both tracks operated just like a regular racer, ie separate controls/board op for each side. The station ops did check both trains before dispatch, though. It is possible to run without racing, as long as the other train is dispatched before the first crests the lift. But Kennywood seems to make sure that doesn't happen.

A well-timed Rebel Yell race always puts a smile on my face. Ever since they slowed down the North(?) side lift motor, it is a rare occurrence. Even when the ops are trying!!

Paul

I'm confused again! :-(

Please bring paper and pencil to Hershey for Mobius lesson while waiting in line....

I keep trying to tell myself it is no different than when a coaster, such as Nitro, dispatches a train before the other one is in the station - 2 trains on the same track, but it is different if there are separate controls for each train. The whole racing thing with separate controls is what's throwing me off. If there was only one set of controls I could understand that better. I can usually get any concept when explained to me but this one is killing me!!!!! *SMH*

Jen

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/4/13 10:35:27 PM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

Study up my friend - I have lots of questions! :-)

I get the one track thing I think - it's like building one coaster and then crossing out from where you ended/started to build another until it comes full circle again, right? I don't get how you can separately operate 2 trains simultaneously side by side without the potential for serious consequences though.

Jen

Theres always two sets of brakes between the two trains or it simply won't release the train.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip Day 2: Martin's Fantasy Island/Seabreeze by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 6/4/13 10:38:50 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Paul

There is also a lifthill as well as the other station that acts as a block. If one train didnt come back, somehow blew through the station, You can still stop it! However that station exit turn would be quite a ride :)