Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Marathoning Millenium Force

Marathoning Millenium Force

antikythera antikythera Profile

Posted:
5/30/13 at
11:29:11 PM

I made my first trip to CP last week and after being rained out all day, they opened up MF for an hour of ERT for pass holders, in lieu of Gatekeeper not being able to open for its designated ERT (which I'm kind of happy about - GK didn't wow me at all -- full TR to come soon on my feelings about this).

I can see why this coaster gets accolades, although I had a hard time enjoying it after the eight time. Not sure if it was the rain hitting my face at 90+ MPH, repeatedly, on a cold May night, or the fact that I've ridden I-305 too many times that MF wasn't as exciting, in terms of height, speed, etc. as it should have been -- regardless, those first eight rides among other coaster enthusiast definitely was a highlight of my rather ho-hum visit to Cedar Point (due to the rain, not the quality of the park).

For those who have marathoned MF before, either through ERT or some other means, what is your impression of consecutive rides on it? If you haven't marathoned this particular coaster, what other coaster(s) have you marathoned and has it changed your perception of the coaster(s)?

I think I've had my fill of MF for the year. I managed to get 12 rides in on MF from the start of the ERT until the end (although I didn't get last train as they were only loading full trains all night -- presumably because of the weather -- and a few of us were the odd men out).

It's a great ride, but I wouldn't rank it in my top three or five. I actually think marathoning it brought it down some notches because I started to see the personal, minor nuisances about the coaster I didn't care for.

* This post was modified at 5/30/13 11:40:06 PM *

Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by ktujon ktujon Profile at 5/30/13 11:41:01 PM
antikythera said:

I've ridden I-305 too many times that MF wasn't as exciting

I totally agree, I felt MF is a bigger and faster version of Superman:Ride of Steel and I didn't experience much air time if any which Ride of Steel had.

Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/31/13 7:24:55 AM
MF has 3 great airtime hills.... gentle, sustained, floating air, though that's not why I love the ride. I've marathoned on MF many times... dozen or more rides in a row. I generally move from seat to seat and row to row, but prefer the rear. The only other coaster I enjoy 12+ consecutive rides on is RFII.
Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/31/13 9:35:10 AM
RobLec said:

MF has 3 great airtime hills.... gentle, sustained, floating air, though that's not why I love the ride. I've marathoned on MF many times... dozen or more rides in a row. I generally move from seat to seat and row to row, but prefer the rear. The only other coaster I enjoy 12+ consecutive rides on is RFII.

If my tentative plans go forward, I may marathon BOTH in a few months..if I can fit on MF, that is.

Despite the fact that I've done 90 rides in one day on Toro, I've always thought MF would be the coaster that lends itself best to a marathon.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/31/13 5:38:37 PM
I marathoned Avalanche (Hellcat) at Timber Falls in WI Dells (59 rides).

My love of the coaster didn't increase at all. Like Rob, I loved sitting in every seat and feeling the different experiences from each spot.

The only negative results were fatigue, pain, and sunburn. But what else would you expect from an intense woody in the sunshine for 2 hours?

Honestly, I can see how MF would get a little less-than-stellar after multiple rides. I love it, but found Magnum much more enjoyable on my recent CP trip. Floater air isn't my preference, and I've never found it all that great on MF.

- Pat-O

Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/31/13 8:02:55 PM
I try to not marathon any coaster.I am always afraid I will get bored of it.I try to limit myself to one front and one back seat ride.It is like anything else in life.I believe too much of anything lessens the charm.
Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/1/13 5:20:26 PM
By marathon, is it staying in the station and riding continuously or does it count having to get out of the station, but immediately running back to the platform? Some places, they force you to get out even if there is no one waiting on your row.
I've done a mini marathon of 8 strait rides on Dominator (KD) without getting out of the seat and an overall of 13 rides with 3 trips thru the line. I've done maybe 6 strait rides on Kumba by changing rows every 2 rides till the lines started to build. And I've done 5 strait rides on Montu without needing to go around the line again. I don't think I would tire out if I got to marathon those coasters if I didn't need to worry about the line. The only break I'd need is to catch my breath/clear my head or to get something to eat.
Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 6/1/13 7:41:36 PM
It depends on the park and their rules. Even if I have to run around the loading station to re-ride, it's still marathoning. Although it's so much easier when they let you sit!

- Pat-O

Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/1/13 9:40:13 PM
Oic, in that case (counting running back to the station) yeah I guess 13 strait would be about the most I've done on a coaster. Which isn't too bad considering it was in August rather than early in the season on an 'off day'.
And I305 I have done 7 in a row (only because the battering took its toll and I needed to take a breather after the last ride).
I totally agree about letting you stay. Nothing more 'frustrating' than being told to get off even when no one else is waiting on line :cough:Kraken (sea world):cough:

* This post was modified at 6/1/13 9:49:32 PM *

Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by antikythera antikythera Profile at 6/2/13 12:33:01 AM
I usually only get to stay on if it's a wooden coaster. For some reason, I always get the boot for steel ones which I find odd.

For MF, during the ERT, they made us get off and reboard 'if we wanted to ride again'. Due to MF's station layout (which I like), we were on the next train, locked and loaded within a minute or two.

Phil, I have to give you credit for marathoning I305. Considering the fact that most people (myself included) still lose vision for a split second going into that first turn, I can only imagine how it must feel after the seventh time, although I'm sure you had some downtime in-between rides. I think I've mastered how to handle those turns without my bones feeling like they're going to snap.

In sum, I would love to have uninterrupted ERT on I305 just for comparison to MF. Hell, I'd love to see how it felt to marathon the thing before they made the modifications. A constant grey out session sounds kind interesting, if not to say I conquered Intamin's test of man during its 'finest' days.

* This post was modified at 6/2/13 12:47:30 AM *

Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/2/13 2:34:03 AM
I should clarify that it was 7 trips, but i had to get out and walk back. I would like to get a reride, but unless it was a 'dead day', probably won't happen for me.
But yeah it is pretty brutal, but with the new restraints, the neck chopping is no longer a factor. Before 5 was my limit and i would move on to something else. The grey outs still hits me just before the 2nd hill, but it's a small price to pay to enjoy a non trimmed first hill drop. I was pissed when i rode it in 2010 the very week or 2 after they added the trim. Now the ride was much better compared to then.

I've yet to ride RoS/bizzaro and MF for intamins pure hyper coasters, so i'd like to get a feel on their air time compared to b&m's mega/hypers (nitro etc).

* This post was modified at 6/2/13 2:36:54 AM *

Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 6/2/13 2:37:24 AM
I should clarify that it was 7 trips, but i had to get out and walk back. I would like to get a reride, but unless it was a 'dead day', probably won't happen for me.
But yeah it is pretty brutal, but with the new restraints, the neck chopping is no longer a factor. Before 5 was my limit and i would move on to something else. The grey outs still hits me just before the 2nd hill, but it's a small price to pay to enjoy a non trimmed first hill drop. I was pissed when i rode it in 2010 the very week or 2 after they added the trim. Now the ride was much better compared to then.
Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by NotSo NotSo Profile at 6/4/13 12:52:16 AM
I did Kumba 42 times and Montu 22 times, all in the same day on a great November day a long time ago...

I would pay $1,000 for 42 rides on MF in one day, that would top everything...

Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by BigShotRoz BigShotRoz Profile at 6/4/13 9:07:26 PM
During Millennium Mania, in 2001, I rode Millennium Force 55 times in six hours, never leaving the station and often going through the gate to get on the train ready to depart!

Of course that was almost 12 years ago....

Re: Marathoning Millenium Force by NotSo NotSo Profile at 6/4/13 10:38:51 PM
BigShotRoz said:

During Millennium Mania, in 2001, I rode Millennium Force 55 times in six hours, never leaving the station and often going through the gate to get on the train ready to depart!

Of course that was almost 12 years ago....

That is amazing!! I could ride MF over and over and it never gets boring, always a nice rush. It's usually 3 or 4 times in the morning for us, before they close the gate.

Are you still going all the time Roz? I've ridden with you before, and you've ran past me before to get back in line!!