Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland

Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
5/30/13 at
8:08:27 PM

Ever since the announcement of Leviathan, Canada's Wonderland has been priority #1 on my must do list. I did visit CW in September 2010, and fell in love with Behemoth and really liked the park in general. The original plan was for the whole family to make the trip, with adding Niagara Falls and another park into the vacation. I postponed the trip last year so we could all go this year. Once again, due to certain circumstances, the trip was going to be delayed again. After a whole off season of Leviathan envy, I couldn't wait any longer. My daughter's passport is good for another 3 year's, so the whole family will go next year. With just my daughter and I, originally had plans for Canada's Wonderland and Martin's Fantasy Island. At the last minute, due to hotel reservations and other things, we added Seabreeze, Darien Lake, and Conneaut.

We left home on Thursday afternoon after my daughter got home from school. After a near accident due to Pittsburgh rush hour traffic, rain, and fog, we arrived at our hotel in Buffalo NY 5 hours later. We didn't get much sleep, because we had to wake up at 6:00am. We left the hotel at 7:00am and had to deal with the border crossing and Toronto traffic. What should have taken 1 hour 30 minutes, turned into a 2 hour 15 minute drive, but that's why we left so early. We arrived at the park at 9:15, parked the car and purchased our Cedar Fair platinum passes. By the time we got our passes processed in was 9:30, just in time for early entry. As we entered the park we were informed that there was no early entry and Leviathan and Behemoth would not open until later in the day due to cold temperatures and wind. Now I called the park the day before to confirm early entry. I also knew what the weather was going to be, and I was told Leviathan would run in cold and windy conditions. Only lightning would cause the ride to go down. So much for that.

With Leviathan not open we headed for The Bat, a Vekoma boomerang. It was down. We decided to ride a flat ride called Shockwaves. It's a very unique and great flat ride made by Mondial. After our ride we headed for The Fly, a Mack wild mouse. After a 10 minute wait, my daughter rode her first coaster outside the US. It was a decent wild mouse.

Next we headed over to Thunder Run, a very unique, themed mine ride. After a 15 minute wait we got a really nice ride somewhere near the back on the train. This is one of the coasters at CW that is a must ride, due to the theming and how it goes through the mountain. Next up we waited about 5 minutes for Vortex, an Arow suspended coaster. I don't know why, but I really like this coaster. One of my favorite suspended coasters. It's right up there with Big Bad Wolf. We sat near the back again. On my previous visit I rode the front and like the front much m.ore.

The Bat had just reopened. We sat in the 3rd or 4th row. We were able to walk on it, but by the time we got off there was a full que. It was a little rough for a Vekoma boomerang. Next we rode Dragon Fire, an Arrow looper, in row 3. It was better than I thought it was going to be. Ear banging on only one instance. I think I counted 4 inversions. Next we rode some flats like Spinovator, a Calypso type ride, my daughter loved it. We rode Nightmares, which is an unique Huss roundup. We then rode Rip Tide, a Mondial top spin. This is probably the best top spin that I have ever ridden.

We then headed for Snoopy land to grab a ride on Ghoster Coaster, a junior woodie, simular to the ones at Kings Island and Kings Dominion. My daughter sat in front and I sat in the 2nd row. Then we headed over to Silver Streak, a junior Vekoma invert, we grabbed the 2nd row.

We then got in line for Wild Beast, a Dinn/ Summers woodie. I really liked this coaster on my last visit. We grabbed front seat, but it has gotten rough. I was staying on this side of park, keeping an eye on Leviathan. Finally while riding Wild Beast, Leviathan starting testing. We ran over an got in line.

After 30 minutes of testing, they finally opened. Now Leviathan has been my most wanted coaster in North America, since the announcement. Our first ride on Leviathan was in the front seat. Throughout the day we rode the front again and the back twice for 4 total rides. Leviathan is all about speed. It has very little air time. I liked the front more than the back, and my daughter agreed. I wasn't disappointed in Leviathan, but it wasn't as good as I was anticipating. The first drop is amazing and the small hill that follows is great. The rest of ride is just pure speed. Millennium Force and Intimadator 305 out class Leviathan. Those 2 giga coasters make that speed work.and provide good air time, especially I 305. I would rank it 13th on my steel coaster list, right behind Gatekeeper.

After Leviathan we headed over to the other side of the park for Behemoth. We rode the front seat and rode the back twice. In fact one of those back seat rides was our last ride of the day. I love the back seat on Behemoth. On my last visit I rode Behemoth like 10 times. It was still running good this year, a tad slower than in 2010, but Behemoth is still my 3rd favorite steel coaster. IMO it has some of the best air time from start to finish on any steel coaster. By far my favorite B&M hypercoaster/ gigs coaster.

We then rode the 2nd row of Flight Deck, a Vekoma invert. It was rough, but tolerable. We sat near the back of Back Lot Stunt Coaster. The helicopter wasn't working. That seems to be par for the coarse. Next we grabbed a front seat ride on Mighty Canadian Mind Buster, another Dinn woodie. On my last visit this coaster was rough. On this visit we got a really good ride. The final helix was rough, but the rest was really smooth. Next we headed for Sky Rider, a Togo stand up coaster, similar to the old King Cobra at Kings Island. My daughter grabbed the front seat. I wasn't going to ride, I didn't think I would fit. The ride op said you'll fit, I get you in, and I actually dif fit. The ride was pretty good, it even had some air time.

We then took in a few more of CW great flats. Orbitor, a Huss super enterprise, which is the last remaining. Pysclone is Mondial frisbee which was a lot of fun, but the cycle was too short. I did get to ride Sledge Hammer on my last visit and rank it in my top 5 favorite flats. Unfortunately it was down the entire day. We also rode Clockwerks, which is simular to Appolo at Dorney.

We then rode Time Warp, a flying coaster that I'm not sure who built it. Never again. One of the worst coasters that I've been on. I couldn't wait for the ride to be over.

Overall we had a fantastic time. The crowds were minimal and we really got to enjoy the park. I really love CW, it's in my top 10 favorite parks. Behemoth is awesome, Leviathan was really good, the flat ride collection is stellar, and the park is just really gorgeous. A lot of the coasters are mediocre at best, but there is a lot of things to do. With a very small crowd my daughter and I really had to hustle around the park in order to get everything in. We left the park at 9:00 and got to our hotel in Buffalo at 10:30. It was a great start to our coaster trip

* This post was modified at 5/30/13 8:31:02 PM *

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/30/13 8:30:22 PM
Great to hear you had a good time Ken.I really enjoy that park also.Awesome funnel cake with strawberries and ice cream!!...lol.I feel the same way you feel about Leviathan.It is ok but nothing spectacular.I knew B&M could never make a giga coaster like Intamin!! Don't get me wrong,it is still lots of fun. After I rode Leviathan,Behemoth seemed like a joke.It is just a smaller version of a B&M coaster.I loved it the first time I was there,but last year it seemed pretty lame to me and with Leviathan there,it seems like a waste of space to have two similar coasters.That is where we differ.I was surprised you still have it so high on your steel list.Glad you really enjoyed it though.That is what counts!!

* This post was modified at 5/30/13 8:31:50 PM *

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/30/13 8:42:54 PM
Oh......two other things I forgot to mention.Time Warp is one of the worst coasters on the planet!!!

I was surprised you did not know about Vortex.That is an awesome suspended coaster!! That was always known as the best ride at that park up until they got Behemoth.I was always amazed at there sub par collection of coasters for such a huge park.That park gets more attendance per year than Cedar Point I believe.I still love the park for some reason though...lol.Imagine going to the park before they got the hyper and giga in there...lol

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/30/13 9:05:35 PM
They wonder why this is my favorite CF park.

Maybe because it has so much more than coasters to do.....................

Easily the best overall CF park in the chain.

Chuck

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by Aldo at 5/31/13 1:58:53 AM
frontrow said:

We then took in a few more of CW great flats. Orbitor, a Huss super enterprise, which is the last remaining.

We then rode Time Warp, a flying coaster that I'm not sure who built it.

Orbitor is the last giant enterprise in North America. However, there is still one in Egypt and the one that used to operate at Kings Island now operates at a small park in Columbia, South America.

Time Warp was built by Zamperla and goes by the manufactured name "Volare".

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 5/31/13 12:49:20 PM
Aldo said:

or POS.

Couldn't resist! hated this ride from day 1. Hello Aldo!

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/31/13 12:54:55 PM
chitlins73 said:

Great to hear you had a good time Ken.I really enjoy that park also.Awesome funnel cake with strawberries and ice cream!!...lol.I feel the same way you feel about Leviathan.It is ok but nothing spectacular.I knew B&M could never make a giga coaster like Intamin!! Don't get me wrong,it is still lots of fun. After I rode Leviathan,Behemoth seemed like a joke.It is just a smaller version of a B&M coaster.I loved it the first time I was there,but last year it seemed pretty lame to me and with Leviathan there,it seems like a waste of space to have two similar coasters.That is where we differ.I was surprised you still have it so high on your steel list.Glad you really enjoyed it though.That is what counts!!

My daughter agrees. She liked Behemoth more than Leviathan, but rattled off 5 or 6 coasters she likes more. She is up to 163 coasters now. I can't explain why I like that coaster so much, I just do.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/31/13 12:59:53 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Chuck

Once again my daughter agrees with you. Hershey is still her favorite park, but Canadas Wonderland is a close 2nd. She has been to Cedar Point, Dorney, Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, and Kings Dominion. I plan on taking her to Michigan's Adventure, Kings Island, and Carowinds later this summer, and my mother in law is taking.her to Knotts Berry Farm in June. So far CW is her favorite Cedar Fair park.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/31/13 1:34:32 PM
frontrow said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Chuck

Once again my daughter agrees with you. Hershey is still her favorite park, but Canadas Wonderland is a close 2nd. She has been to Cedar Point, Dorney, Valleyfair, Worlds of Fun, and Kings Dominion. I plan on taking her to Michigan's Adventure, Kings Island, and Carowinds later this summer, and my mother in law is taking.her to Knotts Berry Farm in June. So far CW is her favorite Cedar Fair park.

Sure she isn't my Daughter? Hershey and CW are my favorite large parks. Probably followed by SFGAM mainly cause their is so much to do. Not just for coasters.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/31/13 5:31:35 PM
Great TR! Glad you guys had a good time. One of these days I'll make it up there. I've still got a few years before I have to renew my passport.

When they were building Leviathan everyone was shocked and complaining that they already had a B & M hyper - from what you're describing it sounds like they're not all that similar after all. You know I need me some air time to be happy so I can guarantee I'd be a Behemoth fan! :-)

Jen

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 5/31/13 8:07:17 PM
I think they are too similar.Behemoth is now kinda a waste of space after they built a bigger and better giga.I was bored with Behemoth after riding Leviathan.The second half of Behemoth just runs out of steam.
Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/31/13 9:42:36 PM
One thing I forgot to mention. I did fit on all rides and coasters during this trip, but I they really had to push hard to get me into Leviathan. Behemoth was tight also, but not nearly as bad as Leviathan. The other day while visiting Kings Island, I had no problem with Diamondback. I pushed the restraint down myself and still had a little extra room. It seems that Canada's Wonderland wants an extra click on the clam shell. I would have never fit on Leviathan or Behemoth 2 months ago. Just something to keep in mind.
Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by Aldo at 6/1/13 1:36:09 AM
KevinReid said:

Aldo said:

or POS.

Couldn't resist! hated this ride from day 1. Hello Aldo!

Regards,
Kevin Reid

HAHAHA Kevin. Hello back and so nice to hear from you. Yes, I wish Wonderland added a better flyer from Vekoma or B&M instead of the Zamperla version.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by MABrider MABrider Profile at 6/1/13 2:29:22 PM
One old person's take on Leviathan v Behemoth, after his first ever CW visit last fall: give me Behemoth.

And yes, CW is certainly what that W stands for.

Mike B.
Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by antikythera antikythera Profile at 6/2/13 12:57:01 AM
You make me want to go so bad. I adore Cedar Fair parks. I anticipate it will take the throne from Kings Dominion as my favorite spot (bias as it's my semi-home park) once I get out there.

I'm actually more about speed than airtime on coasters, so Leviathan sounds right up my alley.

How is that first drop utilizing B&M's tried and true hyper restraints? It's got to be a unique experience dropping that steep in those things considering their open, stadium like seating has always been enthralling to me.

Re: Spring Coaster Trip 2013: Day 1 Canada's Wonderland by drachen drachen Profile at 6/2/13 11:05:28 PM
I wish there was a green font so that I could adequately display my envy. Let me try...

[green]Did this work?[/green] Nope...

How about blue?

I still need to renew my passport, so CW may not happen this year after all. I may head to Carowinds instead.

I enjoyed the read. You're not the first to say that Canada's Wonderland is one of the best Cedar Fair parks out there. Typically it's the coasters that get me to go to a big park for the first time. So, previously, CW was nowhere near my radar.

Now with the addition of Leviathan, I feel the need to get there.

I appreciate the travel notes too. I will go back and re-read this whenever I do go.

* This post was modified at 6/2/13 11:07:13 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur