Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Quick stop at Kings Island

Quick stop at Kings Island

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
5/29/13 at
7:19:57 PM

Today was the day when I make that dreadful drive back to work. Being I purchased a Cedar Fair Platinum Pass at Canada's Wonderland on Friday, I will visit Kings Island several times this year. I'm behind on my trip reports. I still have to write my TRS on Canada's Wonderland, Martin's Fantasy Island, Seabreeze, Darien Lake, and Conneaut, so I'll keep this brief.

I arrived at 10:00 this morning. I was shooting for 9:30 early entry, but that didn't work out. The park was crowded for a weekday in May. Diamondback is running very well. I have over 50 rides on that coaster. The back seat has always been my favorite. Today I rode the back first, then grabbed a front seat ride. My front seat ride was better, believe it or not. One of the best rides that I ever had on it.

I rode the front seat of The Beast. It's very smooth this year, with newer wood throughout the entire track. The Beast has been trimmed to Hell. The final helix is still incredible, but I think I counted 4 areas that are trimmed. I rather it be a little rough, if they take those trims off.

Grabbed a front seat ride on Vortex. Very little head banging if any. I rode The Racer twice; once on red side and once on blue, both in the back seat. Red side seems to be running a little better. Very smooth, but doesn't have the air time that Rebel Yell has.

Firehawk had a 15 minute line, so I grabbed a back seat ride. I haven't ridden it for a long time. Firehawk is the smoothest of the 3 Vekoma flyers, IMO. I rode somewhere near the back of Adventure Express. This is another coaster that I haven't ridden in quite a while. I forgot what a great mine ride it is.

I then took that long walk to Flight Deck. I grabbed a back seat ride and poached another ride 2nd from back. I just rode Vortex at Canada's Wonderland on Friday. I know they are sister coasters, but Vortex at CW seems much faster. Maybe its because it's over water and around the mountain, but I was eager to compare the two. Grabbed 1 ride on the drop tower, due to an usual short line. It been a long time since I rode that also.

It was 3:30 and I wanted to beat that Cincinnati traffic. The park looked great, everything was in stellar condition. The ride ops were super slow on all rides, except Diamondback. I had a good time today and on my whole time home. Kings Island was my 10th different park this year. I don't recall going to this many parks this early, ever. It's already been a great year.

* This post was modified at 5/29/13 7:58:12 PM *

Re: Quick stop at Kings Island by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/29/13 9:18:18 PM
Nice TR front row. I agree wholeheartedly about Adventure Express. That is such a great ride. Yes, the ending is a let down, but the rest of the ride is really well done for a regional amusement park. I haven't ridden Firehawk since it moved to KI. Every time I have gone, the line has been far too long or they were only running one train.

Glad you had a great trip. I know how you feel about having a good year. My May consisted of Disneyland, California Adventure, Knott's, Waldameer, Cedar Point and Conneaut. Quite a busy month for me!

Looking forward to your other TR's, especially a full report on Conneaut. :)

Re: Quick stop at Kings Island by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/29/13 9:42:32 PM
ray_p said:

Nice TR front row. I agree wholeheartedly about Adventure Express. That is such a great ride. Yes, the ending is a let down, but the rest of the ride is really well done for a regional amusement park. I haven't ridden Firehawk since it moved to KI. Every time I have gone, the line has been far too long or they were only running one train.

Glad you had a great trip. I know how you feel about having a good year. My May consisted of Disneyland, California Adventure, Knott's, Waldameer, Cedar Point and Conneaut. Quite a busy month for me!

Looking forward to your other TR's, especially a full report on Conneaut. :)

I commented on your Conneaut TR, and I think I should leave it at that. We were only at Conneaut for 1 hour and a half. My daughter rode some other rides, but any further assessment I give would be all negative. To sum it up, Conneaut is the worst park, by FAR, that I've even been to. We did see small children riding bikes through the park, which was a first. The employees were very friendly. I'm glad we got to visit. Who knows how long the park will remain open. I can't believe the train derailed while you were on it, well as I think about it, I can believe it. I really wish The Tumble Bug was running. When I asked about it, they said they HOPE to have it open by July 4th, and they have been working really hard to get it running. There was no one in the vicinity when we were there, let alone working on it. Like I said we visited, we rode, we survived. That's all I can really say.

Re: Quick stop at Kings Island by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/29/13 11:29:14 PM
Did you write a TR and not even mention the Drop Tower?! Shame on you! ;-)

Now I know why there were no pics of Haley on your FB album today at the park. Hope the next 3 weeks fly by for you and then we'll all be at Hershey!

I really wish KI wasn't such a bitch to get to for me or I would make it a point to go every 2 years or so like CP - I really like that park!

Jen - Who is still going through her 1 million CP pics trying to determine what to post. TR (already written) will be up sometime before next year, LOL!

Re: Quick stop at Kings Island by frontrow frontrow Profile at 8/2/13 9:07:41 AM
I got off the boat at Cincinnati yesterday, so I made another stop at Kings Island. I entered the park at 10:30 and left at 2:00. I ended up with 10 rides.
Diamondback: 3 rides, 1 in the front and 2 in the back. It still is running the best that I've ever seen. More airtime than ever. It seems to be getting better with age.
Beast: 1 ride in the front seat. Still running super smooth, but trimmed in 4 different spots.
Vortex 1 ride in the front. It was running a little rough. More hard banging than I can ever remember.
Racer 3 rides, all in back seat. Still running great, the blue side is running smoother and faster. They are giving the red side a slight head start, but blue side still wins. Both times that I've been to the park this year they have only been running one side until 1:00. Then they start running the other side and it turns into a walk on.
Flight Deck 1 ride in back seat. It actually had a 15 minute line.
Adventure Express 1 ride in front seat. My main reason for riding was to check out the 2014 project progress. There are some footers in place and seems to be a large, deep trench dug out. We will be back at Kings Island next Friday, the day after the announcement.
Kings Island's fast lane is really unfair to the regular line. On every coaster fast lane users walk right up to the loading station and are boarded before the people in the regular line. They have no wait at all. If you do decide to purchase fast lane at Kings Island, everything will be a walk on. It makes me consider buying it when we go on Friday, being that it will be my kids first time there.
Other than that just real excited about the announcement.
Re: Quick stop at Kings Island by rush211243 at 8/2/13 11:03:45 AM
Has anyone seen email from KI about their announcement of the next WORLD RECORD BREAKING attraction (yeah we all know it's gotta be a rollercoaster, esp since it is on the site of SOB) next Thursday the 8th!?!?!?!

Cant wait hope it can open sometime next Year!

Re: Quick stop at Kings Island by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 8/2/13 11:08:24 AM
rush211243 said:

Cant wait hope it can open sometime next Year!

Um...yeah, that's the plan :)
But not a given..Flying Turns, anyone?

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...