Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Do-Se-Do: The Last American Waltzer?

Do-Se-Do: The Last American Waltzer?

d_n_s_u

Posted:
5/25/13 at
1:55:34 PM

Forgive me for going slightly off topic here.

This isn't so much about coasters but about a ride I'm fascinated about.

The Waltzer is a mainstay of many UK parks.

Perhaps the nearest thing to it in N America is The Tilt-A-Whirl.

I was interested to see a picture of a Waltzer at Carowinds (that lasted all of 2 seasons circa '75)when surfing the net today.

Is there anyone out there in URC land that can add any more information about these rides in N America:

Are there any left and if so where are they?

Thanks

Gary

The Do-Se-Do at Carowinds

Re: Do-Se-Do: The Last American Waltzer? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/26/13 9:20:35 AM
Interesting flatride, it's looks like alot of fun. I wish that US parks could have the vast variety of unique flatrides (thrilling funfair, and certain old family flats) that parks over in Europe have. :(
Re: Do-Se-Do: The Last American Waltzer? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/26/13 11:25:20 AM
I grew up on Tilt-A-Whirls (I'm 60), and never heard of Waltzer.

First thing I noticed when seeing that photo in the link was that the rail was directly under the car...so each car probably spins like crazy. Then I saw the video and thought the ride is a cross between a Himalaya and a Tilt-A-Whirl.

That said, I always take a motion sickness pill when I visit parks now, which allows me to ride spinnies, including Tilt-A-Whirls.
But I don't know if I would dare take a spin on a Waltzer!

Think it was too intense in the states? If parks had do deal with "protein spills" often, maybe they decided it was too much bother.

Mike B.
Re: Do-Se-Do: The Last American Waltzer? by d_n_s_u at 5/26/13 2:26:38 PM
Thanks for the replies! :-)

Most modern Waltzers are like Spinning Nightclubs these days!!

Note too "The Walkers": those men (and women) who work the ride and add extra spin to the cars by jumping on and off the platforms and manually spinning the things.

The ride is too intense for me but I have to admit to being fascinated by this attraction...

Hey,and besides..in the touring fairs (carnies) of my youth the ride was like a "babe magnet" (A UK term you understand) :-)

Re: Do-Se-Do: The Last American Waltzer? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/27/13 3:05:12 PM
d_n_s_u said:

Hey,and besides..in the touring fairs (carnies) of my youth the ride was like a "babe magnet" (A UK term you understand) :-)

I thought "birds".
Chirp-chirp!
:-)

Mike B.
Re: Do-Se-Do: The Last American Waltzer? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/28/13 12:50:38 PM
Haven't seen that ride but Id love to ride a Skid which is kinda like a whip.

One ride thats kind of a like that is the TWISTER ride and the only park I know that still has one is Lakemont *NOTE THE PARK DOES NOT RUN IT LIKE IT's MADE TO BE RUN*

When Williams Grove still had theirs the operator had a brake he could hit at certain times to send certain cars spinning like mad. Id have to say its the only ride I waved him off and said I had enough! Of course this was after about a five minutes of spinning insanely.

When I worked at Strickers Grove in the 80s we could brake check the Tilt A Whirl but they frowned on it. The Scrambler was insanely fast and Id put it on five for about a minute, Slow it to four and then back to five. Today that scrambler runs about three at full speed.

Chuck, who loves the rides the ops or the rider have some control over like Flying Scooters.

* This post was modified at 5/28/13 12:57:52 PM *

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Do-Se-Do: The Last American Waltzer? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/28/13 1:07:06 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

One ride thats kind of a like that is the TWISTER ride and the only park I know that still has one is Lakemont *NOTE THE PARK DOES NOT RUN IT LIKE IT's MADE TO BE RUN*

My ride on Twister was one of the most unique rides I ever had, in that the attendant didn't check my seat belt and I rode unbuckled. I was with Judy P, and as far as I remember, hers was fine. The only other ride I've ever rode unbuckled was Green Lantern last season..they just never checked my belt, and I couldn't get anyone's attention as the train headed out of the station.

Good times...

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Do-Se-Do: The Last American Waltzer? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/28/13 10:22:14 PM
beastmaster said:

CoasterFanatic said:

My ride on Twister was one of the most unique rides I ever had, in that the attendant didn't check my seat belt and I rode unbuckled. I was with Judy P, and as far as I remember, hers was fine. The only other ride I've ever rode unbuckled was Green Lantern last season..they just never checked my belt, and I couldn't get anyone's attention as the train headed out of the station.

Good times...

Completely wrong ride

Heres a link to a short video of Williams Groves old Chance Twister. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HciaGR3jf8s

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Do-Se-Do: The Last American Waltzer? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/29/13 5:37:43 AM
You're right. That's not the ride I'm thinking of, but I can't remember the name. The park's site was no help, as most rides are not pictured, and none of the names rang a bell. If memory serves (and it may not..) this ride was more like the Calypso at Cedar Point. Maybe it's not at Lakemont anymore, I don't know.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...