Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year!

Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year!

alpengeistno3

Posted:
5/25/13 at
12:45:59 PM

I saw the announcement that in addition to Batman now and American Eagle later this fall, Viper will also be turned around this summer after the 4th of July.

Since there is the rumor that Six Flags will rotate the backwards Batman chasis around to the other Six Flags parks, could any of them get away with turning 3 coasters around backwards in one year? (even if it is only temporary.) And if proving to be as successful as the Mr. Freeze and Superman: Krypton campaigns, could it prompt Cedar Fair to reverse their decision on the former Paramount racing coasters?

Paul

* This post was modified at 5/25/13 12:53:55 PM *

Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/25/13 7:37:47 PM
Le Orot, here I come. French?

Imagine THAT ride.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by alpengeistno3 at 5/25/13 8:34:54 PM
Instead of your butt leaving the seat, your crotch will be riding the bar! Frightening!!

Paul

Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/25/13 9:34:09 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Instead of your butt leaving the seat, your crotch will be riding the bar! Frightening!!

Paul

LMAO!

I'm not a fan of doing that (backwards riding on the coasters and crotch bar riding. Well, maybe on KK, LOL!). What if I was going to SFGA this year? Never been there and I'd have to ride all the those coasters backwards? That's not even close to experiencing the real thing. And what if it sucks backwards? Then even if it's your home park you're stuck with that all season? It's one thing on a coaster like Batman TR since there's one at just about every SF park (except SFA which gets nothing) so most have ridden it or when they do it to one side of the racing woodies since you still have the option of facing forward on the other side but I think it's a bad idea in general. I rode Rolling Thunder backwards and I cannot for the life of me remember if I liked it or not. I was 13....

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by alpengeistno3 at 5/25/13 11:36:38 PM
I always wondered if Rolling Thunder had ever ran backwards. It seemed like a natural ride to do it on, but with the two tracks being different as opposed to mirror images, I assumed Gradv had found enough variety in that.

KK backwards? I think you may have found the answer for the Gradv trifecta, Jen! Especially if they decided to reopen the far side station to still run 1 train forward.

All of the backward coasters at SFGram are temporary. Batman is supposed to be going back to forward while Viper is running backwards, which will be replaced by American Eagle in the Fall. I see this kind of "limited edition" marketing being aimed at locals to give them a reason to visit more than once a year. I don't know if it will get them the kind of boost they are looking for as most of the locals who would be interested in visiting just to ride their familiar coasters backwards will have season passes and probably already have multiple visits planned anyway.

I just got done reading my ACE News and SFGram reps were written as coy about whether the Batman chassis will visit other Six Flags parks. I guess we will have to wait until next year to see if someone gets it to determine how successful this new campaign has been for the chain.

Paul

Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/26/13 2:54:37 AM
It's my understanding that Cedar Fair undid the backwards side of the Kings Island and Kings Dominion Racers so they wouldn't have to operate both tracks at all times.
Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/26/13 6:35:23 AM
Backwards KK. Interesting..a rollback on every ride...on the other side, of course.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/26/13 11:40:01 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

I always wondered if Rolling Thunder had ever ran backwards. It seemed like a natural ride to do it on, but with the two tracks being different as opposed to mirror images, I assumed Gradv had found enough variety in that.

KK backwards? I think you may have found the answer for the Gradv trifecta, Jen! Especially if they decided to reopen the far side station to still run 1 train forward.

All of the backward coasters at SFGram are temporary. Batman is supposed to be going back to forward while Viper is running backwards, which will be replaced by American Eagle in the Fall. I see this kind of "limited edition" marketing being aimed at locals to give them a reason to visit more than once a year. I don't know if it will get them the kind of boost they are looking for as most of the locals who would be interested in visiting just to ride their familiar coasters backwards will have season passes and probably already have multiple visits planned anyway.

I just got done reading my ACE News and SFGram reps were written as coy about whether the Batman chassis will visit other Six Flags parks. I guess we will have to wait until next year to see if someone gets it to determine how successful this new campaign has been for the chain.

Paul

Ah - I thought they were all going backwards at the same time. That's a little better.

The Batman thing is probably going to be dependent on the reaction from the riders. I bet if it's a positive response the trains will be circulated, if negative it will be scrapped.

KK would be very interesting to run backwards - no wind in the face. I bet that element missing would make it seem slower (but my tearing eyes going forward would like it!)

Jen

Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by alpengeistno3 at 5/26/13 12:35:09 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

It's my understanding that Cedar Fair undid the backwards side of the Kings Island and Kings Dominion Racers so they wouldn't have to operate both tracks at all times.

The "official" reason was it was "not within the manufacturer's operating recommendations," however, we all know what you mentioned is closer to the truth.

I wonder if they will take a different stance if Six Flags continues this across the entire chain with multiple rides, and actually gets increased gate returns as a result. Afterall, CF fought against doing a FOTL program until they saw the easy money Six Flags was making for years before they started Fast Lane.

Paul

Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 5/26/13 4:10:42 PM
I would be very surprised if CF decides to turn a ride backwards even if for a limited time. I still miss riding KI's Racer backwards.

If SFGAm really wanted to turn heads along with Batman beign backwards they could have turned Raging Bull backwards - the world's first backwards hyper coaster.

G-Dog

Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/26/13 5:17:46 PM
I have only ridden woodens one side forwards and the other side backwards. I must admit that I don't have many to go by, but I prefer forwards. This is just an advertising ploy and nothing else. If it made big improvements in attendances in the past, why change them back? If it didn't make big improvements in attendances, why change so many now? The first steel ones were both Mr.Freeze. Those went forward and backward during most of the ride before anyway.
Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by alpengeistno3 at 5/26/13 10:22:12 PM
theRock-steel said:

I have only ridden woodens one side forwards and the other side backwards. I must admit that I don't have many to go by, but I prefer forwards. This is just an advertising ploy and nothing else. If it made big improvements in attendances in the past, why change them back? If it didn't make big improvements in attendances, why change so many now? The first steel ones were both Mr.Freeze. Those went forward and backward during most of the ride before anyway.

Ever heard of McRib? They are going for this limited edition thing to get people in the gate for "a limited time" event. Some parks have been doing the backwards thing just for Halloween and I suppose they have experienced enough success (in terms of turnstile numbers) that they feel like they can try it with other rides. I've never been to Great America, but I assume they must have experienced enough success with the Batman thing thus far to decide to expand it to Viper (another "more aggressive" ride than your typical racing coaster.) They have been flipping American Eagle during the fall for years, so that is nothing new.

It is TOTALLY a marketing gimmick!! The question is whether it is a good enough one to expand to other parks, even other chains.

Paul

Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/3/13 2:22:24 PM
Went on Batman backwards there a few days ago while on my road trip. It was cool, can't lie, but it's a pure gimmick.

But you know what, it's a fun gimmick. I think Batman was a bad choice, as your back feels a bit of pain going backwards, but that might be something only us tall dudes face.

I went on American Eagle backwards last year (?) and at the park this year the operator of Raging Bull said they'd be putting Viper backwards. I think she was just getting the crowd going, but she asked if people would like Raging Bull backwards. Of course the crowds reaction was "YEAH!!".

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by antikythera antikythera Profile at 6/3/13 3:41:07 PM
Like Mugen, I took a roadtrip out to Gurnee, en route to Milwaukee, a couple weeks ago and rode Batman, just for the hell of it, since I like roller coasters that go backwards. Wasn't as fun as I had hoped it to be, but it sufficed. I didn't get a chance to ride Viper while I was there, but I can imagine it'd be fun since most wooden coasters backwards are awesome. I did ride American Eagle and I don't think riding that thing backward would fix how mediocre it was in my opinion.

If they really want to continue that trend, riding the Dark Knight Coaster backward would be interesting in my books.

Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/4/13 12:30:27 PM
antikythera said:

Like Mugen, I took a roadtrip out to Gurnee, en route to Milwaukee, a couple weeks ago and rode Batman, just for the hell of it, since I like roller coasters that go backwards. Wasn't as fun as I had hoped it to be, but it sufficed. I didn't get a chance to ride Viper while I was there, but I can imagine it'd be fun since most wooden coasters backwards are awesome. I did ride American Eagle and I don't think riding that thing backward would fix how mediocre it was in my opinion.

If they really want to continue that trend, riding the Dark Knight Coaster backward would be interesting in my books.

Interesting, I think American Eagle was awesome backwards and forwards. Particularly backwards! I on the other hand think that Viper is one of the worst rides at the park. It's long, which is cool, but it doesn't offer good air time or grab me in any way. Backwards might be cool for it though.

Also a note. On any of these rides, Batman, American Eagle, Viper, or even a Mr. Freeze, sit in the front. Er...I mean back, when it goes backwards. So you can SEE the track behind you. I've gone down Nitro's first drop before, looking backwards to see how it felt, and it was insaneeee. So getting to do that properly on other rides (American Eagle and Mr. Freeze @ SFSTL) was awesome!

I feel like seeing the track in the back (originally the front car) is the way to go!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Six Flags Great America has EVERYTHING backwards this year! by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 6/4/13 5:10:28 PM
mugen828 said:

I on the other hand think that Viper is one of the worst rides at the park. It's long, which is cool, but it doesn't offer good air time or grab me in any way.

That's interesting. I found Viper to be one of the best rides, with great airtime, and a fairly smooth ride. Granted, it's been a while since I've been on it, so it may have gone downhill, which if that's the case, is unfortunate.