Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Gatekeeper ride report with pics

Gatekeeper ride report with pics

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
5/24/13 at
9:37:24 PM

I’m going to do a separate report for Gatekeeper then a full TR for the rest of the day since there's so much to talk about with this one coaster. Don't forget to right click and hit view image for a larger pic!

I arrived at Cedar point at 9:30 am to a spectacular sight above the main entrance.

Since I had a ½ hour to kill I started taking pics of Gatekeeper and watching in awe. It’s such a beautiful coaster.

The gates opened at 10 am and I met Roz right away and we got out Fast Lane Plus wristbands and after a quick trip to the restroom we headed to GK. We headed to the right set of stairs which puts you on the left side of the coaster. We waited no more than 5-10 min and took a back seat. Roz was gracious enough to let me ride the wings since she’s already ridden it a gazillion times (and I don’t think I’m exaggerating, LOL). The seats are a bit high to climb into and I found it hard to buckle myself in after pulling down the harness b/c I couldn’t reach the bottom portion of the hanging seat belt but that’s what the ride ops are there for! I had no problems with the vest tightening on any of my 6 rides. It seems it’s actually the smaller people who seem to have this problem for once, LOL!

This pic shows the restraints well - the vest is attached to the lap restraint so if the lap restraint can't go down that far I suppose the vest can't tighten either

Then we were off – going up the lift hill on the left side is nice because you can look out at the water.

The first drop is great with a pop of airtime.

First hill

The left rear seat was the best effect for going through the keyhole – feels most like you may hit it IMO.

You can clearly see that the left side (towards the bottom) is closest to the keyhole element and is in your direct line of sight

We then rode the right rear, which I did not think was as good as the left but still a great ride.

The top on the first keyhole is also the left side. The right side seems farther away and you have to actually look to your right to see it - not in your natural line of vision

The coaster went down and we left the line after about 15 minutes and rode some other rides/coasters in the area. It came back up while we were getting off Blue Streak so we went back on for the front rows.

The right front gave the best feeling of “flying”, just pure nothingness underneath you while going over and down the first hill. The left was good too but the right was better IMO.

When twisting over for the first dive the right side puts you on the lake side with nothing around you it seems

We left to go on other rides and the coaster was apparently down for most of the day due to high winds. It came back up around 7 pm and we got 2 more back row left side rides before the park closed. One of those rides I was in the inside seat and Roz rode the wing and there is a huge difference in terms of intensity. The wing seats are hands down better.

Vertical loop

This is the most comfortable coaster I have ever ridden with inversions in my life. Cedar Point and B & M are to be commended on building a spectacular roller coaster. Is it the best coaster I’ve ever ridden? No. But it’s pretty damn good. The things that make it stand out for me are that it is absolutely beautiful and graceful to watch and placed in a perfect spot, it’s extremely comfortable to ride, there are no bad seats - just seats that I preferred over others and it’s a coaster that will appeal to everyone. It’s not so intense that it will keep the general public from riding yet it has enough elements and intensity in spots to keep us enthusiasts happy. They really designed a gem with this one.

Me and Roz on our second to last ride - on ride photo

Jen

Here's a link to all the pics I posted in a FB album. I set it on public so you can all look at them if you wish:

Gatekeeper photos

* This post was modified at 5/24/13 9:40:29 PM *

Re: Gatekeeper ride report with pics by alpengeistno3 at 5/25/13 1:06:05 PM
Nice TR, Jen. While I have yet to ride a Wing coaster, they appear to move very similar to the flying coasters. (slow and calculating in the maneuvers, but with little forces in any direction.) A lot of reports on Wild Eagle and X-flight seemed to corroborate that. Do you feel the same about Gatekeeper? (I hesitate to ask you to compare it to Superman at Gradv since you DESPISE that ride!)

Paul

Re: Gatekeeper ride report with pics by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/25/13 3:29:34 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Nice TR, Jen. While I have yet to ride a Wing coaster, they appear to move very similar to the flying coasters. (slow and calculating in the maneuvers, but with little forces in any direction.) A lot of reports on Wild Eagle and X-flight seemed to corroborate that. Do you feel the same about Gatekeeper? (I hesitate to ask you to compare it to Superman at Gradv since you DESPISE that ride!)

Paul

Not even a little - I HATE flyers. To me it's more like a floorless with less intensity but more comfort. Most flyers only go around 50 mph while GK is at 67 mph I believe. Many of the inversions do seem very similar to a flyer looking at the coaster but much more enjoyable IMO. I don't feel anything on a flyer except the need to get off of it and do something more productive with my life, LOL. There are a few spots on GK that do give some decent G's but they are mostly positive ones and the visuals going through the keyhole in the back left or going down the first dive in the front are spectacular. My only "complaint" is they should have put more bunny hills in at the end instead of the helix for better air time. It could definitely use more air time ( you get some on the first dive, second hill and last "bunny" hill) but I really did enjoy it. I wasn't bored on it at all and I rode it 6 times - you know I get bored quite easily riding the same coaster over and over. Each seat really does give different views and forces so that's another thing that's good about it. Keep moving around and it's like a new experience every time. Didn't do any middle rows but I am curious as to how they compare to the front and back. Someday.... (when I can go to CP and not have a swollen foot for 3 days afterwards that can't fit into my shoes! - but it was So worth it :-)

Jen

Re: Gatekeeper ride report with pics by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/27/13 9:34:25 PM
Great report Jen, and fantastic photos. I need to buy the camera you have in the next off season. I totally agree with your assessment. I'm just getting caught up on reading all the posts in the last 4 days. I hope to start writing my reports tomorrow.
Re: Gatekeeper ride report with pics by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/28/13 12:19:04 PM
Excellently done, Jen. Fantastic pictures and great commentary on the ride.

I prefer the left side of the train. It does have better keyhole visuals. More importantly, on the first drop you get flipped over into the drop, more head-over-heels than on the right.

As far as back and front, I don't have a preference. The visuals in the front on the first drop can't be beat, plus you get turned upside-down ever-so slowly. Love the inverted hang time. Oh, and the airtime on the hill is great!

But in the back, the train throws you up and over into that first drop that has great intensity.

I totally agree with you that the flying sensation is incredible and truly makes the ride unique. I love the openness and having nothing above or below.

It's too hard to pic a favorite coaster, with so many styles and unique experiences. But I'll put Gatekeeper right up there with Magnum and Maverick for my favorite coaster at CP.

- Pat-O