Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Maverick - my first ride

Maverick - my first ride

LoneStar LoneStar Profile

Posted:
5/22/13 at
7:22:15 PM

On my trip to CP last weekend I had my very first ride on Maverick.

Before the ride, I never really "got" Maverick. I thought it was a strange addition for CP - it's not a record breaker, it doesn't introduce any new, eye-popping elements. It just seemed a weird choice for CP and Intamin, and I didn't really get what they were trying to accomplish.

Well, after my first ride, now I know and I rank it among Magnum and Gatekeeper as the best rides in the park.

The first drop front car is amazing. The visuals are perfect. BUT, in the back it whips you over that 95-degree drop and you fly out of your seat and into the OTSRs - Oh my gosh that is crazy!

I've never ridden a ride that long that keeps its intensity and speed like Maverick. There is never a dull moment on the track. The airtime hills are perfect. And the inversions, even though they are not the main feature of the coaster, blend in perfectly to complement its sidewinder features.

Now I know what CP was trying to accomplish with Maverick, and they did a wonderful job. After the first couple of rides I was scratching my head just trying to figure out what just happened to me. I can't compare the coaster to anything else, except maybe the intensity of some launch coasters (ie Mr. Freeze).

Anyways, in case you couldn't tell, Maverick rocks!

- Pat-O

Re: Maverick - my first ride by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/22/13 8:26:05 PM
LoneStar said:

On my trip to CP last weekend I had my very first ride on Maverick.

Before the ride, I never really "got" Maverick. I thought it was a strange addition for CP - it's not a record breaker, it doesn't introduce any new, eye-popping elements. It just seemed a weird choice for CP and Intamin, and I didn't really get what they were trying to accomplish.

Well, after my first ride, now I know and I rank it among Magnum and Gatekeeper as the best rides in the park.

The first drop front car is amazing. The visuals are perfect. BUT, in the back it whips you over that 95-degree drop and you fly out of your seat and into the OTSRs - Oh my gosh that is crazy!

I've never ridden a ride that long that keeps its intensity and speed like Maverick. There is never a dull moment on the track. The airtime hills are perfect. And the inversions, even though they are not the main feature of the coaster, blend in perfectly to complement its sidewinder features.

Now I know what CP was trying to accomplish with Maverick, and they did a wonderful job. After the first couple of rides I was scratching my head just trying to figure out what just happened to me. I can't compare the coaster to anything else, except maybe the intensity of some launch coasters (ie Mr. Freeze).

Anyways, in case you couldn't tell, Maverick rocks!

- Pat-O

I was laughing SO hard when I read this - just got back from CP today and when we rode Maverick yesterday I said "That's it - I'm am SO done with this coaster!" I have a visible lump on the side of my head that I can't touch today and it nearly decapitated me at one point the side of my neck slammed into the the restraint so hard. Unless they change those OSTRs I am NEVER riding it again. I never really liked it and thought it was highly over-rated from its inception. Its launches suck, has one good initial drop but it's too short, breaks down several times a day, always has a ridiculous line and then tries very hard to see how your neck strength is and how long/far you can hold your head out of the restraints for. I was tired and a little sore from Kennywood the day before so apparently I failed. I'm DONE so one less person you have to wait behind in line for it, LOL!

Jen

* This post was modified at 5/22/13 8:26:46 PM *

Re: Maverick - my first ride by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 5/22/13 9:13:24 PM
Maverick is one of my favorite steel coasters. Many people complain about head/neck-banging, but I caught on how to have virtually zero neck contact with the restraints pretty quickly. Pure awesomeness from start to finish!
Re: Maverick - my first ride by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/22/13 10:08:10 PM
I would love to see the Intimadator 305 restraits on Maverick.
Re: Maverick - my first ride by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/23/13 11:15:28 AM
The last time I rode it in 2011 was the "best" ride I had ever had on it but I still didn't love it. While my inability to defensively ride it was probably due to a combination of exhaustion and being out of shape (since I haven't been able to do practically anything since last Nov when I had my first surgery) that coaster just never did anything for me. The launches are too weak to even get a remote "wee" and except for the first hill it's just all a bunch of twisted metal and you guys know that's not my cup of tea. Now if they replaced the restraints like Ken suggested with I-305 type OSTRs then I would give it another chance. It's just not worth it to me if I have to exert a lot of effort to be comfortable on a ride I don't really like to begin with.

Jen

Re: Maverick - my first ride by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/23/13 11:22:56 AM
Funny how you mentioned that you didn't "get" the ride Pat-O. I go back to my first rides on Maverick back in 2007 and I thought it was just an okay ride. Nothing really stood out about the ride for me that would have me consider placing it in my Top 5 steel coasters. As the years went by, I started to like the ride more and more, to the point now where it's a toss-up between Maverick and Millennium Force for my favorite coaster in the park. My ride on Maverick last Friday was fantastic.

I know a lot of people have said that if you have to ride a coaster a certain way for it to be enjoyable, then it isn't a good ride. Well, I have never gone with the popular opinion in the 15 years I have been posting here and that trend will continue on Maverick. As long as I hold onto the top of the OTSR and lean into the turns, I'm usually fine. The turn right after the tunnel launch is a bit severe, but other than that, I come off with no bruises, missing ears or other bodily injury. :)

Thanks for your TR and reviews of the CP rides Pat-O. And I am glad you liked GateKeeper as well. It's a unique ride to be sure, and the visuals are definitely amazing.

Re: Maverick - my first ride by Katie Katie Profile at 5/23/13 11:51:42 AM
I'm the same way Ray. I ride with one hand on the OTSR and turn when it goes. I have never ever had an issue with Maverick and next to Maggie. He's my favorite. We got a pure bliss ride at night, all fog, cool but not too cold. It was the most fantastic zen ride I have ever imagined.

And then it was topped by a triple ride in the back seat of Maggie closing night of 2009. I can't even describe those last rides. Or at least ones I can't use on the boards!

Re: Maverick - my first ride by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/23/13 12:38:40 PM
I'm kind of in the same camp with some others here. Maverick didn't do much for me initially. I've rode it a total of about 12-15 times now, including several laps with some URC folks. I like it more than I used to. As with I-305, I find leaning into the turns increases my enjoyment, but I don't really ride it defensively anymore. Not having been on Gatekeeper, Maverick is probably slightly above middle-of-the-pack in CP's coaster collection for me. My rides last September were the best yet.

Mike

* This post was modified at 5/23/13 1:07:36 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Maverick - my first ride by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/24/13 2:35:02 PM
beastmaster said:
I've rode it a total of about 12-15 times now, including several laps with some URC folks. I like it more than I used to.

Mike -
It was certainly a pleasure sharing that first ride with you, but after sixteen consecutive rides during ERT, both Laurie and I have had our fill of Maverick!

Oh, we'll definitely ride it again someday, but in all honesty the only ride at CP that we really look forward to marathoning on is Millie.

* This post was modified at 5/27/13 7:00:48 AM *

Re: Maverick - my first ride by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/28/13 12:11:15 PM

I was laughing SO hard when I read this - just got back from CP today and when we rode Maverick yesterday I said "That's it - I'm am SO done with this coaster!" I have a visible lump on the side of my head that I can't touch today and it nearly decapitated me at one point the side of my neck slammed into the the restraint so hard. Unless they change those OSTRs I am NEVER riding it again. I never really liked it and thought it was highly over-rated from its inception. Its launches suck, has one good initial drop but it's too short, breaks down several times a day, always has a ridiculous line and then tries very hard to see how your neck strength is and how long/far you can hold your head out of the restraints for. I was tired and a little sore from Kennywood the day before so apparently I failed. I'm DONE so one less person you have to wait behind in line for it, LOL!

Jen

Wow, Jen. Amazing how two people can have completely different experiences and opinions. But we still love everybody!! (I hope!) The first time I rode I did bang my head a couple of times that made me think, "If I ride this again, I'll have to prepare for some of the turns." After keeping my head back against the headrest and leaning into a few of the turns I had no trouble. The only turn that still whacks me is the one immediately after the 2nd launch.

Haven't been on I-305 yet, so I can't say anything about their restraints. But what if they put Gatekeeper's restraints on the ride? I found them comfortable, and with the soft, flexible shoulder straps, it seems it would eliminate all head-banging.

- Pat-O

Re: Maverick - my first ride by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/28/13 12:13:22 PM
ray_p said:

Funny how you mentioned that you didn't "get" the ride Pat-O. I go back to my first rides on Maverick back in 2007 and I thought it was just an okay ride. Nothing really stood out about the ride for me that would have me consider placing it in my Top 5 steel coasters. As the years went by, I started to like the ride more and more, to the point now where it's a toss-up between Maverick and Millennium Force for my favorite coaster in the park. My ride on Maverick last Friday was fantastic.

I know a lot of people have said that if you have to ride a coaster a certain way for it to be enjoyable, then it isn't a good ride. Well, I have never gone with the popular opinion in the 15 years I have been posting here and that trend will continue on Maverick. As long as I hold onto the top of the OTSR and lean into the turns, I'm usually fine. The turn right after the tunnel launch is a bit severe, but other than that, I come off with no bruises, missing ears or other bodily injury. :)

Yes, Ray, the turn immediately after the 2nd launch is the worst. Got me every time. Other than that, like you, once I adjusted myself a little to the ride it was unbelievable. How bout that first drop in the back seat!

- Pat-O

Re: Maverick - my first ride by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/28/13 2:22:13 PM
LoneStar said:
The first time I rode I did bang my head a couple of times that made me think, "If I ride this again, I'll have to prepare for some of the turns."

The trick is to keep one hand (I can't remember right or left) grasping the OTSR just beside your neck throughout the ride. Amazing how well it works.

Haven't been on I-305 yet, so I can't say anything about their restraints. But what if they put Gatekeeper's restraints on the ride? I found them comfortable, and with the soft, flexible shoulder straps, it seems it would eliminate all head-banging.

Different coaster manufacturers, I believe.

Re: Maverick - my first ride by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/28/13 2:31:31 PM
RobLec said:

LoneStar said:
The first time I rode I did bang my head a couple of times that made me think, "If I ride this again, I'll have to prepare for some of the turns."

The trick is to keep one hand (I can't remember right or left) grasping the OTSR just beside your neck throughout the ride. Amazing how well it works.

Different coaster manufacturers, I believe.

But the I-305 restraints would work MUCH better. Anyone know who did the new restraints on Sidewinder at Hershey? They have a vest similar to Gatekeeper. If it wasn't B & M then someone else can put those on as well. I'd take the vest set up in a heart beat!

Jen

Re: Maverick - my first ride by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/30/13 1:36:29 PM
Yes, the vest idea would be great! Could we see a B&M Intamin partnership on those?

- Pat-O

Re: Maverick - my first ride by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 6/9/13 8:37:39 PM
Glad you enjoyed it, but for me, the last time I rode it I realized I made a huge mistake. I rode in the front seat and I really got bashed; my ears burned for quite a while afterward from the banging. However, the year before I had ridden it for the very first time and I used the single rider line, and the ride op placed me about 2/3rds of the way back in the train. I was dreading the ride in that seat, since coasters that are rough often get worse towards the back. But I was pleasantly surprised that I only got one mild contact with the restraint on one side (no worse than an average Arrow corkscrew, or perhaps not even that bad). So I would ride it again if I could find that good seat again, but otherwise, I don't ride Maverick these days. I might go on it towards the back if I had someone with me who really wanted to ride, but otherwise, no.
Re: Maverick - my first ride by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 6/10/13 4:38:43 PM
First time rider two weeks ago. I didn't think it was going to be as fast/quick as it was so I got banged around a bit. I attributed it to me just not realizing the intensity it was gonna bring.

I really really enjoyed it, and it seemed pretty long to me!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Maverick - my first ride by Tomes at 6/11/13 4:42:26 AM
The first time I rode Maverick in 2010 it EASILY jumped into my top 5 coasters of all time, far surpassing Nitro, Apollo's Chariot, and the likes. It was full of unexpected intensity and I loved every second of it. That being said, I think I rode it towards the back..
I rode Maverick again a few weeks ago, and though I still effing loved it, it did bang me around a little, especially in the front seat, and the "twisties" didn't feel as intense as I expected or remembered them.
The way I prevented getting banged around is just holding onto the restrains on both sides, which is less fun than putting your hands up but makes the ride more enjoyable.
As to the level of intensity - I think after riding so many fast and awesome coasters in one day, it takes more to excite my senses. Like, on our first ride on Millennium Force (first time since 2010) I was MIND BLOWN all over again! As if I were a MF virgin, I felt the rush through my body and was in heaven from the first drop. This was also in the front seat.
On subsequent rides, I still loved it, but your body gets used to being tossed around throughout the day, and it takes more to get your adrenaline pumping. Or maybe it's just me.

Anyway, back to the topic: I personally understand people who don't like maverick, but I myself love it! Especially if it's the first ride of the day, and if you're holding onto the restraints to prevent your head from banging around.

Re: Maverick - my first ride by Schrecken Schrecken Profile at 6/11/13 4:56:57 PM
I rode Maverick first thing in the morning (this was my front seat ride) and yet I was still unable to protect my ears from getting walloped. But yet I was able to avoid most of it closer to the back, so apparently riders in that part of the train have more time to brace against the restraints for some reason, or perhaps it's just easier to do so.
Re: Maverick - my first ride by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 6/15/13 9:17:59 PM
Was definitely a 'weird' ride ... I liked it, but didn't really 'love' it if ya know what I mean. To each his own. Now that flat ride close by it...I could ride that alllll day!

~MommaBeast

Re: Maverick - my first ride by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/16/13 2:47:30 AM
MommaBeast said:

Was definitely a 'weird' ride ... I liked it, but didn't really 'love' it if ya know what I mean. To each his own. Now that flat ride close by it...I could ride that alllll day!

~MommaBeast

Momma Beast! How the hell are you?! Good to hear from you!

Jen

Re: Maverick - my first ride by MommaBeast MommaBeast Profile at 6/16/13 2:02:27 PM
Awww...Hiiiiii! :)

Been better, that's for sure. My Mom just passed away May 25th and it's been very difficult :(.

Last coaster trip was Cedar Point a couple of years ago with my kids and their friends.

Alot going on in my life right now and just trying to keep things on track.

Miss all my coaster buds!

xxxooo
~MommaBeast