Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > pki maintence people did something bad/sob comment

pki maintence people did something bad/sob comment

Pki Ryan

Posted:
4/2/00 at
3:46:30 PM

As I was walking out of the beast i decided with my friend Megan that we would go take a look at SOB. Well we decided to go down Old Coney to action zone. When we were passing the racer Megan and I burst out into laughter, there were about 8 maintenence people riding backward racer, thats not why we were laughing though. The maintence people were standing in the cars facing forward and holding on to the head rests. Is this why they say dont stand while riding???? By the way we saw the car on the sob track as well with the bubble stuff on it. I have a comment about sob too, it looks totally awesome but the station looks so tacky, it is painted bright blue and yellow and red. Oh, well.

Ryan

Re: pki maintence people did something bad/sob com by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/2/00 4:29:10 PM

It happens more than you think. I used to love opening Beast in the mornings because you could partially see the Racer's turn-around from Beast's station. Often before the GP were let back, I could see maintenance riding just as you described. Often they would hop out at the top of the turn-around to adjust the trim that resides right there.

Maintenance also would ride Beast with no restraint locked. Instead of walking to a specific spot to check something out, sometimes they would just get on a train and ride.

You could see them greasing the tracks mid-day on occasion as well. They would just step out of the way when a train came. Mostly this only occurred around the station area.

Shaggy

Re: pki maintence people did something bad/sob com by PKI 4 LIFE at 4/2/00 7:23:17 PM

> As I was walking out of the beast i decided
> with my friend Megan that we would go take a
> look at SOB. Well we decided to go down Old
> Coney to action zone. When we were passing
> the racer Megan and I burst out into
> laughter, there were about 8 maintenence
> people riding backward racer, thats not why
> we were laughing though. The maintence
> people were standing in the cars facing
> forward and holding on to the head rests. Is
> this why they say dont stand while
> riding???? By the way we saw the car on the
> sob track as well with the bubble stuff on
> it. I have a comment about sob too, it looks
> totally awesome but the station looks so
> tacky, it is painted bright blue and yellow
> and red. Oh, well. Ryan

We James Bond Crew also seen this, as we were walking to our time clock to clock out for the day, a couple of our crew members said "please remain steated thru out the entire ride" it was pretty cool, before they rode the backwards racer standing up they were working on the hill before the spilt off, and also the turn around.

- PKI 4 LIFE (PKI Associate)

Re: pki maintence people did something bad/sob com by MrDan at 4/2/00 8:41:12 PM

> It happens more than you think. I used to
> love opening Beast in the mornings because
> you could partially see the Racer's
> turn-around from Beast's station. Often
> before the GP were let back, I could see
> maintenance riding just as you described.
> Often they would hop out at the top of the
> turn-around to adjust the trim that resides
> right there. Maintenance also would ride
> Beast with no restraint locked. Instead of
> walking to a specific spot to check
> something out, sometimes they would just get
> on a train and ride.

Shaggy, I remember when you said that you felt that it was necessary that all park patrons and employees listen to the 'no hands up' rule on the Beast. Why then aren't these maintence men fired for breaking the rules and why doesn't anyone say that it's dangerous?

Just curious to hear your views.

mrdan

hey, thats a cool racer by rufus at 4/2/00 9:45:07 PM

> thats pretty sad. I liked that racer, though. I went on the forwards car.

Re: pki maintence people did something bad/sob com by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/2/00 10:06:29 PM

Shaggy, I remember when you said that you felt
> that it was necessary that all park patrons
> and employees listen to the 'no hands up'
> rule on the Beast.

Yep, sure did and I stand by that.

Why then aren't these
> maintence men fired for breaking the rules
> and why doesn't anyone say that it's
> dangerous?

They aren't breaking the rules. They are trained on exactly this sort of thing and are the only ones permitted to do so. The maintenance men do not hold their hands up. On Beast when they rode without a lap bar, they held on, and their was a purpose behind it. On Racer, they hold on as well and do not use that technique when the GP is present.

>>Just curious to hear your views.

The basic difference is maintenance does not ride these ways for a "thrill." It actually serves a purpose. Patrons holding hands up is a different act in the fact that it is only to add to the thrill element. The maintenance couldn't care less about the thrill. They have ridden those coasters pretty much everyday, every season, every year, for many years. I guarantee they hold on tighter than 90% of the GP.

I personally would never do it, and I used to stand and watch in amazement as maintenance would do it. Most of me thought it highly dangerous, but another tiny part thought hmmm.....

Shaggy

Re: pki maintence people did something bad/sob com by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/3/00 2:51:20 AM

Although this is a a mechanical crew and may have been doing some maintenance checks, Ryan, what is with that name.

Paramount has PKI Ryan and Great Adventure has a NJGameKid is also a Ryan. Both of you will never see a media event if the park has its way and Paraount Ryan will be lucky to finish the season in ops.

The ryans of this world need to learn that every nook and cranny needs not to be posted and when you work at a park it is even more important to be be selective what to post. It is not a hold out to enthusiasts, not in anyway, but when you read something like this and enthusiasts think well if the mechanics do this why can t I? Well I have no problem ripping enthusiasts new holes as many of them need it. Your not a mechanic, you dont no everything (although some of you know more than some mechanics) and your not insured as such by the parks. The most important part is that when we are in a park, we are considered Guests, no better than that 10 year old that is saying that the coaster went around 20 times. ARRRGGHhh. But that is life. Don t like it, get a job at a park but that is what we are. Parks like PKI offer perks but we are what we are GP s and we must keep that in mind.

Stand up and you get what you deserve. Hopefully a stiff fine rather than being a stiff.

Yet, this need have been posted and should not have. Please do not read into this as a license to do something stupid. Finally to the Ryans out there in this world, everything that happens need not be posted and that there are somethings better not said. You need to learn to discretion and that will tell you when and what to post

ED

Amen (nm) by mr acer at 4/3/00 8:24:35 AM

You need to learn to discretion and that will tell you when and what to post ED

you are getting upset over by Pki Ryan at 4/3/00 10:43:13 PM

You are getting upset over an observation, all i said was that they were riding, why dont you not manipulate what i say. Take it for what it is, an observation, and thankyou very much for saying i wont finish the year in ops. Its one thing to comment about a post but you didnt have to make a RUDE comment such as that

Ryan (Very ticked)

Re: pki maintence people, Im sure pki thanks you! by CoasterFanatic at 4/4/00 1:46:40 AM

> It happens more than you think. I used to
> love opening Beast in the mornings because
> you could partially see the Racer's
> turn-around from Beast's station. Often
> before the GP were let back, I could see
> maintenance riding just as you described.
> Often they would hop out at the top of the
> turn-around to adjust the trim that resides
> right there. Maintenance also would ride
> Beast with no restraint locked. Instead of
> walking to a specific spot to check
> something out, sometimes they would just get
> on a train and ride. You could see them
> greasing the tracks mid-day on occasion as
> well. They would just step out of the way
> when a train came. Mostly this only occurred
> around the station area. Shaggy

Do you Realize how much money you just cost the park? Im sure OSHA is going to be all over PKI now!

Keep your mouth shut unless you think it is somthing obviouly dangerous and a threat to your health.

You just brought OSHA in on somthing that im sure has gone on safely for years, and probably cost PKI hundreds of thousands in Violation Fines!

Jeez this ticks me off. PKI got fined 110,000 dollars for somthing that noone got hurt or was in any real danger from back in january. OSHA is just out to make money and your providing a perfect forum for them to entervine!

Im sure you posted because it was funny or looks cool, but the consequences are likely to be severe.

Chuck

Re: you are getting upset over by chillforce chillforce Profile at 4/4/00 1:49:01 AM

I am not upset but you have proven the observation point correct posting to the wrong post.Will you settle for grounds by the end of the season LOL.

ED

Re: pki maintence people, Im sure pki thanks you! by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/4/00 5:17:47 PM

I will thank you to no tell me what to post, or not to post. This is an open forum for coaster discussion.

Shaggy

Re: pki maintence people, Im sure pki thanks you! by Johnny Mnemonic at 4/4/00 5:34:30 PM

> I will thank you to no tell me what to post,
> or not to post. This is an open forum for
> coaster discussion. Shaggy

Hey Shaggy, is it fairly easy to get to PKI from the airport? I'm thinking about making reservations for the URC PKI trip. Any extra info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Anyone from osha here??????? by Pki Ryan at 4/4/00 5:34:54 PM

Do you Realize how much money you just cost the
> park? Im sure OSHA is going to be all over
> PKI now! Keep your mouth shut

Please refrain from telling me what to do, i can stand on two feet, and its good pki got fined when they did, they needed to make sure they were putting safety over getting it done real soon. What would have happend if the ride had blown over while workers were on it?!there would be more than 110,000 dollars in fines. and 110,000 dollars is the same as asking your mom for a dollar, im sure it upset pki but you didnt see them file charges? did you? Chuck keep shaggys post in mind this is an open discussion forum open to all forms of amusement park issues. And besides that is there anyone from OSHA HERE??? NO!

Ryan ("in with the good, out with the bad""Breath in breath out") LoL

Re: Anyone from osha here??????? by CPFan at 4/4/00 7:03:33 PM

No offense meant at all, but if that's the way you respond to someone who gets upset at you, then you might just want to reconsider your choice of a job at an amusement park :-) Getting yelled at is a daily ocurrance in this field and I would guess that if you remotely reply in any similar type of manner, KI will have you out the door quicker than you can say your name.

Besides, you mentioned that this is indeed an open forum. You never know who might be reading.....

> Do you Realize how much money you just cost
> the Please refrain from telling me what to
> do, i can stand on two feet, and its good
> pki got fined when they did, they needed to
> make sure they were putting safety over
> getting it done real soon. What would have
> happend if the ride had blown over while
> workers were on it?!there would be more than
> 110,000 dollars in fines. and 110,000
> dollars is the same as asking your mom for a
> dollar, im sure it upset pki but you didnt
> see them file charges? did you? Chuck keep
> shaggys post in mind this is an open
> discussion forum open to all forms of
> amusement park issues. And besides that is
> there anyone from OSHA HERE??? NO!

Re: Anyone from osha here??????? by Shaggy Shaggy Profile at 4/4/00 10:26:23 PM

> No offense meant at all, but if that's the
> way you respond to someone who gets upset at
> you, then you might just want to reconsider
> your choice of a job at an amusement park
> :-)

None taken, but I do not work at an amusement park.

Getting yelled at is a daily ocurrance
> in this field and I would guess that if you
> remotely reply in any similar type of
> manner, KI will have you out the door
> quicker than you can say your name.

Trust me, I know the ups and downs "in this field." But once again, I have no affiliation with PKI as an employee.

> Besides, you mentioned that this is indeed
> an open forum. You never know who might be
> reading.....

Actually I am very aware of the ones who read. And quite familiar with the fact that more "upper-level" park personnel read this than you think.

In all reality, my response was posted out of sheer frustration. I am a complete, whole hearted supporter of PKI. I would not do anything to hurt the park. My post was a response to an earlier post where someone had stated seeing maintenance performing something they routinely do. I was agreeing saying I had seen it too. I was not saying I supported it, or that anyone should try it, or that they did it for fun. I was just staing that it was not something they were doing to "break the rules." It appears to be a part of the routine maintenance.

As far as the acts that maintenance perform to maintain the rides, I can only assume they are ok'd by OSHA. I have no idea what the "coaster maintenace do's and dont's" are. I do know other parks take a lot bigger risks, and some are documented on video. Of course if I mention them, I will once again be flamed for this post. But I will leave you with this thought, if this subject matter should not be shown or spoken about, then why would there exisit an extrememly popular park video that shows that park's (not PKI) maintenance crew riding a coaster, greasing the tracks by standing up, no restraint, leaning over the front of the train and squirting grease on the coaster tracks while it traveled through it's circuit? Obviously, it is a maintenance necessity such as the ones at PKI. And not some big secret.

Shaggy

Re: Anyone from osha here??????? by CPFan at 4/5/00 7:01:15 PM

I apologize, I should have been more clear. My post was in reference to PKI Ryan's last post in the thread, not yours. I 100% agree with you Shaggy and your post.

As someone who works at an amusement park, I know that maintenance men do things that aren't considered safe in the scope of a ride operator's responsibilities. However, they are highly trained professionals who know their rides in and out, every little turn and drop, all the little quirks, and they don't want to get hurt just like anyone else. They do what is necessary to perform their jobs and make the rides safe for others.

I certainly know you are an avid PKI supporter and didn't mean anything by your earlier post :-) I was simply trying to mention to PKI Ryan that going crazy and getting rude over a little comment wouldn't get him very far in the amusement park world of "guest satisfaction" :-)

Re: pki - airport - johnny by Rob Lec at 4/6/00 9:38:54 AM

Hey Shaggy, is it fairly easy to get to PKI from
> the airport? I'm thinking about making
> reservations for the URC PKI trip. Any extra
> info would be appreciated! Thanks!

Well I'm not Shaggy, but I can answer part of your question.

PKI is northeast of Cinci and the airport is in Kentucky, southwest of Cinci. In other words, they're about as far apart as possible. However there are quite a few motels near PKI so you might check with them to see if there is perhaps a shuttle bus that runs from the airport to the Mason OH area.