Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Plinko

Plinko

NotSo NotSo Profile

Posted:
5/18/13 at
11:36:51 AM

Insider tip of the year from Nocho:
Plinko at CP has "front of the line" passes for Gatekeeper as a top prize. Opening day, the discs were $1, i played $22 worth and won five passes. Walk past a 4 hour line, go up the exit, and get on in 2 minutes.
Opening day we got there early, and only waited 20 minutes. Thursday was only 15 minutes for the front seat by mid-day. So, i will tuck these passes away for mid-summer.
They have raised the price to $5 for 2 discs now, but take a shot. If you stand there and watch, like every other person that plays wins, hell i won five times! Too easy!! I can't imagine they will run this game all year, but they probably make a lot of money off it so who knows.

Nocho

edit- passes are good for 2 people, and are good any time once during 2013.

* This post was modified at 5/18/13 11:39:38 AM *

Re: Plinko by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/18/13 6:34:52 PM
It's not a bad idea. It's not much different than selling front-of-the-line passes.

Was the line really four hours? That's just insane if true.

Re: Plinko by alpengeistno3 at 5/19/13 3:10:07 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Was the line really four hours? That's just insane if true.

Considering the park is probably selling hundreds of fast lane passes for unlimited rides AND giving away FOTL passes for only $5 a pop at Plinko, I don't see that as insane or outrageous at all. Even for what should be a high capacity Beemer, something has got to give when so many people are heading to the front of the line.

Paul

Re: Plinko by NotSo NotSo Profile at 5/19/13 7:54:13 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

Eric_Gieszl said:


Was the line really four hours? That's just insane if true.

Considering the park is probably selling hundreds of fast lane passes for unlimited rides AND giving away FOTL passes for only $5 a pop at Plinko, I don't see that as insane or outrageous at all. Even for what should be a high capacity Beemer, something has got to give when so many people are heading to the front of the line.

Paul

On opening day the que was full and then all the way to Raptor with a really thick wavy line of people. Plus,
You have FastLane, Plinko winners, VIP's, and to an extent handicap people all feeding into the line. I can't be positive, but i'd say 4 hours is a conservative guess.
Now, this past Thursday the line was shorter than the FastLane merge point for most of the eveing.

Re: Plinko by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/19/13 12:36:07 PM
I'm not questioning what makes up a four-hour line or whether or not there was or wasn't one for GateKeeper.

I'm questioning who in their right mind would stand in line for four hours. There isn't a roller coaster anywhere that I would wait that long for. In most situations, including brand-new rides, the most I will wait is about 75 minutes. Generally if the line is more than 45-60 minutes I'm not riding.

Re: Plinko by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/19/13 12:44:51 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

I'm not questioning what makes up a four-hour line or whether or not there was or wasn't one for GateKeeper.


I'm questioning who in their right mind would stand in line for four hours. There isn't a roller coaster anywhere that I would wait that long for. In most situations, including brand-new rides, the most I will wait is about 75 minutes. Generally if the line is more than 45-60 minutes I'm not riding.

me and my brother did it four times the first two days Flight of Fear was open at I. Was worth every minute as we hasn't ridden anything like it before and for the most part since, Even though there are other launchers, I don't think any of thems opening sequence are quite as intense and oh, Its opening year it slammed you back in the seat, Now its more progressive launch.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Plinko by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/19/13 1:48:55 PM
You waited four hours for Flight of Fear?
Re: Plinko by alpengeistno3 at 5/19/13 2:31:32 PM
I can believe it. KD's routinely had a 2 1/2 hr wait when it first opened on "slow" days. I have heard KI's was (and still is) worse.

Let's face it. People are sheep. You tell them they should go ride the "new" ride 1st because the line will be shortest if you get there early, they assume that is the case, no matter how long the line actually is. A lot of people traveled to CP for opening day just to ride Gatekeeper.

You and I would be smart enough to try to come back later, but the majority went there 1st thing and were not going to leave until they got their ride. (I doubt it was posted that the wait was 4 hrs. How could you honestly estimate a wait like that with all of the FTL and Fast Lane passes on the 1st day of true operation?

Paul

PS,
The longest I have ever waited for an "operating" ride was 2 hrs 40 mins for Volcano on a Tuesday after it opened the previous weekend. I never waited that long for it again, but no way I was going to risk waiting until later with its sketchy operating history up to that point.

Longest ride period was for the 1st public run of Batwing at SFA. We got there at 9:00 AM for the 1st ride of the day and it took them until 5:00 PM to get it operational for only 2 cycles before shutting down for the rest of the day. I lived 30 mins from the park, so it was no loss sitting around that long for 1 ride.

Re: Plinko by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/19/13 3:05:47 PM
I think I waited 3 hours for the Rocket Rods at Disneyland when they opened in 1998. The ride kept going down, which was became a common theme for duration of its life.

I sure learned my lesson that day.

Re: Plinko by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/19/13 3:11:29 PM
I waited like 4-5 hours for Kingda Ka when it first opened. Rain delays and break downs were the better part of the reason for that.

It was worth it though, back in 2005.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Plinko by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/20/13 3:02:08 AM
I was working on the site and just ran across this thread that's related to the wait time discussion.

What is the Longest Queue Time in Theme Park History?

Re: Plinko by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/20/13 11:07:45 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

You waited four hours for Flight of Fear?

Four times, The wait would have been about two hours each time but ride issues and a thunder storm or two shut it down. Believe me. I was sick of that Pre Show after two the first two days but the coaster still rocks!

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Plinko by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/20/13 11:13:30 AM
Sheep my foot. We skipped the Season Pass day which they shut the ride line down at 5pm just to get everyone on by ten pm. They ran one train that day and the next day as well. But the third day they ran two

Theres other Wing Riders out there, There were other Inverts before Raptor. The only Launched prior to FOF was the old Arrows and Antons and thos still are not closed to the LIM/LSM and even Pneumatic Launchers

Being KI regulars for over 25 years prior to FOF, It was no bother to hit the new ride over and over and end the day on the flyers. We missed nothing, At least nothing new.

Chuck, Who ususally waits till second year to Visit other parks for big new attractions like Supermans, El Torros and Kingda Ka's just so the mega wait don't happen.

alpengeistno3 said:

I can believe it. KD's routinely had a 2 1/2 hr wait when it first opened on "slow" days. I have heard KI's was (and still is) worse.


Let's face it. People are sheep. You tell them they should go ride the "new" ride 1st because the line will be shortest if you get there early, they assume that is the case, no matter how long the line actually is. A lot of people traveled to CP for opening day just to ride Gatekeeper.

You and I would be smart enough to try to come back later, but the majority went there 1st thing and were not going to leave until they got their ride. (I doubt it was posted that the wait was 4 hrs. How could you honestly estimate a wait like that with all of the FTL and Fast Lane passes on the 1st day of true operation?

Paul

PS,
The longest I have ever waited for an "operating" ride was 2 hrs 40 mins for Volcano on a Tuesday after it opened the previous weekend. I never waited that long for it again, but no way I was going to risk waiting until later with its sketchy operating history up to that point.

Longest ride period was for the 1st public run of Batwing at SFA. We got there at 9:00 AM for the 1st ride of the day and it took them until 5:00 PM to get it operational for only 2 cycles before shutting down for the rest of the day. I lived 30 mins from the park, so it was no loss sitting around that long for 1 ride.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Plinko by alpengeistno3 at 5/21/13 5:40:12 AM
No need to take it personally. You waited because you didn't care (about riding anything else). There are those locals who probably felt the same about Gatekeeper. I assure you, most of the rest (the "sheep") did not know any better and if you told them "the line is 4 hrs now, but come back later this afternoon, it will be 1.5-2 hrs," they would have left.

Paul

Re: Plinko by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/21/13 6:39:24 AM
FOF is still a good ride... at least it was last time I rode it. Getting a bit too rough for me though. That's more about my tolerance than the ride itself.

I remember first year the line was usually three hours. I didn't ride it then as we were there with our sons who were very young at the time.

I did however wait three hours or so to ride the Beast the year it opened... three times in a row. That was before kids and that's all we did that day, just rode Beast over and over. Ahhh to be young again!

Re: Plinko by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/21/13 2:09:58 PM
Eric_Gieszl said:

I was working on the site and just ran across this thread that's related to the wait time discussion.


What is the Longest Queue Time in Theme Park History?

Opening day (Season passholders first rides) For Outer Limits Flight of Fear saw a wait of over 8hrs with only one train running, I arrived about 4pm after work and was told the line was closed. The line at that time was at the Skee Ball near the end of Coney Mall.

That night they worked hard on the programing to be able to run two trains and the next day the wait was almost five hours with me and my brother riding twice in 10.5 hours that saw at least three breakdowns each wait.

Yes, I was blown away. even with the OTSRs, I've always loved this ride.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.