Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > A Game Plan For Kings Dominion

A Game Plan For Kings Dominion

theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile

Posted:
5/17/13 at
10:00:49 PM

As with BGW, I would like to know peoples' thoughts about which is the best order to try the popular rides. I always that Volcano has a lot of downtime so it should be first. In trying to get to he capacity problems early, I was planing this order:
Volcano
Flight of Fear
Back Lot Stunt Coaster
Avalanche
Woodstock Express
Intimidator 305
Anaconda
Shockwave
Ricochet
Drop Tower
Americana
Windseeker
Rebel Yell
Hurler
Grizzly
Dominator

Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/17/13 10:07:38 PM
Depends on how soon you get to the park. When i got there at the very start, i would get at least 2 rides on dominator before they dropped the rope for volcano and the rest. I used to get 2 rides easily in 2010, but last year i could barely tolerate the lines for the 2nd ride.
After that go for FoF and from there it is up to you. I took at least 5-6 rides on i-305 before heading to anaconda, stunt coaster and avalanche*. I would then more or less go clockwise on the coasters in my way: shockwave, rebel yell, ricochet, hurler, grizzly.
In the afternoon, dominator is great for rerides. I can't really say about the flat rides, but if the ride is close by, i can see squeezing in a few as being ok. Generally i save them towards the end after getting the coasters out of the way.

* although i can't say what the best time to ride this one is, you could go to this one after fof since i-305 can move crowds quickly. I just go to rides that are close by and save myself the hassle of backtracking.

**forgot about woodstock express, i didn't have time to ride it last year, so that is up to you, perhaps maybe around the same time as dominator in the afternoon.

* This post was modified at 5/17/13 10:22:36 PM *

Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/17/13 10:30:04 PM
Here's my TR from 2011. Should answer a lot of your questions and shows the order I did things.

Dominator opens before all others so go there first. FOF didn't open until noon so go to something else after Volcano (there are several coasters in that area). Once the rope drops run to Volcano! If by chance it rains the day you go and they shut rides get back to Volcano so when it reopens you can get another ride right away. The line fills quickly and it's slow so you may only get 1 ride in at first before the line is monstrous.

That's Paul's territory so I'm sure he'll chime in with his advice at some point.

Jen

TR: http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/216058

Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by alpengeistno3 at 5/18/13 12:02:10 AM
Ding, ding. Jen is right. Here is your plan.

Dominator opens 30 mins before the rope drop. You can either spend time riding that, but if you are a platinum passholder, DON'T DO IT!!! (sounds crazy, but stick with me). Go to the Eiffel Tower rope drop and use your platinum pass to get to the early access point for the rest of the park and queue up for Volcano. If you are not a platinum pass holder, you may have lost your advantage on Volcano as the other passholders probably know the deal and will beat you there. If you are at the head of the pack when they drop the ropes, you may be able to salvage your disadvantage. But not if you ride Dominator early and get at the back of the herd. There will be plenty of time for Dominator later. Trust me.

After the rope drop, (or earlier if they let you back there), take out Volcano 1st. The ride doesn't have down time like it used to, but the capacity is horrible and it is still a popular ride (arguably, still the MOST popular with some). After you ride Volcano, you can try to do FOF (on Mon-Thurs, it did not open until 12:00 last year, but that was not printed on this year's map when I went opening day, so you may be in luck to be able to knock out the other potential headache early.) If it is not open, go directly to I-305 and get as many laps on that as you can before the Volcano crowd catches up with you.

If you want to stay in the area, you can do Anaconda until you get sick of that. By now it should be close enough to 12:00 to get FOF out of the way if it was closed when you came in. If the line is too long from other people just waiting it out, you can leave and just deal with it later. Avalanche is not advisable as a lot of the families do queue up for it early until it opens at 12:00 and you will probably wait longer now then you would later in the day. You can try to knock out Italian Job if you want, but the lines will be shorter later, so it would be advantageous for you to come back too.

Best move, after FOF and I-305, is to get out of the Congo and hit the other rides on the other side of the park (most of the late arrivals will come there to do Volcano and I-305, flooding the area). Order doesn't really matter other than save Shockwave for later try to get on water rides early, if you want to avoid terrible mid day waits.

After you get your fill of the woodies and flats, head back to Dominator between 3:00 and 6:00 for walk-on rides (most people have left the front of the park by that time, leaving Dominator pretty much empty except on the busiest of days.) Head back to the Congo to do the rides that you skipped (Avalanche and IJ may require you to wait until after 7:00 for the lines to go down, but you can pretty much guarantee yourself a walk-on ride after 8:00, if you are patient. Same for Woodstock Express, however, be careful that they don't close early (I think that was only during Halloween to encourage parents with small children to get out before Frightfest, but check the map, just in case.)

You can try rerides during the middle of the day by just circling the park and staying ahead of the crowd (if one ride is crowded, there is usually another one that is not). Come back and hit Shockwave between 6:00 and 8:00 for a near walkon ride.

You can try to go for the "big boys" again between 9:00 and 10:00. You may have to choose between getting the coveted night ride on Grizzly and closing out I-305 (also an amazing ride after dark) as they are at opposite ends of the park. FOF and Volcano should be dead between 9:30 and 10:00 unless you go on a super busy day.

If you are going on a non-busy day, there should not be lines for anything other than Volcano and FOF (maybe a 30 min line at the peak of the day for I-305 if they decide to run only 1 train). You should be able to sweep the park easily by 6:00.

Food at KD is pretty terrible all around or overpriced chains, but Country Kitchen next to Shockwave's helix is the most unique in the park (I said "unique", not "good". If it was me, I would leave and drive to Exit 92 in Ashland to get some decent food on Restaurant Row, but you may want to maximize your time in the park.)

You didn't say when you were going, but I think I covered all the bases for you.

Have fun!!

Paul

PS One thing to note, Volcano holds people outside of the mountain queue area until the station is nearly clear. Even though the line may appear long (if you have been there in the past, it is not as long as it used to be due to all of that extra space.) If you see just one or 2 queue rails in the holding pen being used, that is actually a very short 10-15 minute wait.

On the other hand, in the morning (at when I went), they did not hold the line until the "herd" started building in the line and were saying "hold the line for _ trains" (may have been an opening day mistake). Being 2 queue rails from the mountain entrance was a disadvantage at this point as it took around 45 mins to get our ride (factoring in all the fast lane people that just came bouncing in after we made the rope run and I learned late about the platinum early entry.)

Be observant and you won't get burned!!

Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/18/13 8:46:33 PM
If you try to catch a pre-opening ride on Dominator, do you risk not getting to Volcano right away?

FOF, Back Lot Stunt, and Avalanche always have big lines of people waiting for them to open, so it is always better to go back to them later? How can this be if they have terrible capacity?

Woodstock Express and Shockwave should also be later. It sounds like water rides, flats, and woodens are the only things that you can do without being in their longest lines between noon and 6:00.

I will be there on Wednesday or Thursday June 19 or 20.

* This post was modified at 5/18/13 8:50:16 PM *

Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/18/13 9:04:23 PM
Well, for me i'm going by a regular pass holder. So i'm going to be waiting on the regular lines, and on the dominator thing, it is what i would ride regardless since i almost always head for the entrance around the woodstock express. So i'm waiting for the rope to volcano to drop and with all the ppl that will outpace me, i figure it isn't going to make a difference getting to the front before everyone else. Again, that is just me. So i guess if it is better for you to wait for volcano first then.

With the wait on volcano, usually after the 2nd ride is over, fof is probably open by then. Stunt coaster and avalanche may have poor capacity, but i never had to wait more than maybe 20 min for each after getting on i-305 a few times. Although i do tend to ride avalanche later in the day like 4 pm anyway.

I dunno if you have a preference of seats (front row or back row) so that can also make a big difference. I generally don't care which row i get on unless the station is nearly deserted. So i can't say if my list works for you.

* This post was modified at 5/18/13 9:16:20 PM *

Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by alpengeistno3 at 5/19/13 3:03:14 AM
theRock-steel said:

If you try to catch a pre-opening ride on Dominator, do you risk not getting to Volcano right away?

Depends on the crowd. Going on a Wednesday/Thursday in mid June should not be that busy. (A Saturday, absolutely!!)

theRock-steel said:

FOF, Back Lot Stunt, and Avalanche always have big lines of people waiting for them to open, so it is always better to go back to them later? How can this be if they have terrible capacity?

Everyone heads toward Volcano (because of the capacity) or I-305 (it is still the newest coaster) when they 1st arrive to the park. After riding (or not riding for those who are still too scared to ride I-305), they will naturally go to the nearest rides in the area. This leads to huge lines for Anaconda, Back Lot and Avalanche early. Come back later in the day, everyone has left the area and those "less popular" rides will be deserted.

The nice thing about KD is the crowd is very predictable and as long as it is not a crowded day, you can stay ahead of them if you know this and get there early.

theRock-steel said:

Woodstock Express and Shockwave should also be later. It sounds like water rides, flats, and woodens are the only things that you can do without being in their longest lines between noon and 6:00.

Woodstock is not really that bad normally. They do tend to run 1 train, so you may find yourself waiting 15-20 mins at the height of the day, especially since the new thing this year is Planet Snoopy. If you don't mind waiting that long for a junior coaster, go for it. I, personally, would rather spend my time marathoning Dominator or the full sized woodies and getting a walk-on courtesy ride on Woodstock. Same with Shockwave. If 15-20 mins is fine with you, do it around 3:00 - 5:00. It will be empty later and frankly, that is all the wait it is worth.

Don't forget about Drop Zone, Windseeker and maybe taking some pictures on the Eiffel Tower. There is way more stuff to do than it sounds while you wait for the low capacity stuff to clear out.

I will be there on Wednesday or Thursday June 19 or 20.

Should be a moderately slow-busy day (schools are out here in MD and I think that is the last week for most VA schools, so there could be an influx of kids playing hookey, especially on Thursday.) If you are there early and knock out the big 3, you should not have any problem with the rest.

I forgot to note that I-305 is usually short to empty after the morning rush, so as long as you have the stamina for it, you can reride that as many times as you want until the water park closes. (you do have to walk around because they won't allow you to stay in your seat.)

Paul

* This post was modified at 5/19/13 2:37:17 PM *

Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/19/13 3:13:20 PM
Dominator and Ghoster Coaster are open before the actual rest of the park is open (this was the case in 2010)

I got Dominator 3 times before the park "opened" officially and then got walked to I-305 when the rope drop happened.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/19/13 3:56:07 PM
mugen828 said:

Dominator and Ghoster Coaster are open before the actual rest of the park is open (this was the case in 2010)

I got Dominator 3 times before the park "opened" officially and then got walked to I-305 when the rope drop happened.

Same in 2011 although I don't know about Ghoster Coaster (is that one of those kiddie coasters? LOL!) but I got a few rides on Dominator and was standing behind the rope waiting for it to drop in plenty of time.

Jen

Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by alpengeistno3 at 5/19/13 8:00:06 PM
mugen828 said:

I find it hard to believe that Ghoster (ie, Scooby Doo) was open early. The rope drop point is (and always has been) just beyond the Eiffel Tower, in front of what used to be Snoopy's Splash Dance. For you to get to Ghoster Coaster, it would have to be moved all the way in front of the Chick-fil-A, which is nearly impossible to rope off.

Maybe you meant Beserker?

Paul

Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by antikythera antikythera Profile at 5/20/13 12:35:14 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Ding, ding. Jen is right. Here is your plan.

Dominator opens 30 mins before the rope drop. You can either spend time riding that, but if you are a platinum passholder, DON'T DO IT!!! (sounds crazy, but stick with me). Go to the Eiffel Tower rope drop and use your platinum pass to get to the early access point for the rest of the park and queue up for Volcano. If you are not a platinum pass holder, you may have lost your advantage on Volcano as the other passholders probably know the deal and will beat you there. If you are at the head of the pack when they drop the ropes, you may be able to salvage your disadvantage. But not if you ride Dominator early and get at the back of the herd. There will be plenty of time for Dominator later. Trust me.

After the rope drop, (or earlier if they let you back there), take out Volcano 1st. The ride doesn't have down time like it used to, but the capacity is horrible and it is still a popular ride (arguably, still the MOST popular with some). After you ride Volcano, you can try to do FOF (on Mon-Thurs, it did not open until 12:00 last year, but that was not printed on this year's map when I went opening day, so you may be in luck to be able to knock out the other potential headache early.) If it is not open, go directly to I-305 and get as many laps on that as you can before the Volcano crowd catches up with you.

If you want to stay in the area, you can do Anaconda until you get sick of that. By now it should be close enough to 12:00 to get FOF out of the way if it was closed when you came in. If the line is too long from other people just waiting it out, you can leave and just deal with it later. Avalanche is not advisable as a lot of the families do queue up for it early until it opens at 12:00 and you will probably wait longer now then you would later in the day. You can try to knock out Italian Job if you want, but the lines will be shorter later, so it would be advantageous for you to come back too.

Best move, after FOF and I-305, is to get out of the Congo and hit the other rides on the other side of the park (most of the late arrivals will come there to do Volcano and I-305, flooding the area). Order doesn't really matter other than save Shockwave for later try to get on water rides early, if you want to avoid terrible mid day waits.

After you get your fill of the woodies and flats, head back to Dominator between 3:00 and 6:00 for walk-on rides (most people have left the front of the park by that time, leaving Dominator pretty much empty except on the busiest of days.) Head back to the Congo to do the rides that you skipped (Avalanche and IJ may require you to wait until after 7:00 for the lines to go down, but you can pretty much guarantee yourself a walk-on ride after 8:00, if you are patient. Same for Woodstock Express, however, be careful that they don't close early (I think that was only during Halloween to encourage parents with small children to get out before Frightfest, but check the map, just in case.)

You can try rerides during the middle of the day by just circling the park and staying ahead of the crowd (if one ride is crowded, there is usually another one that is not). Come back and hit Shockwave between 6:00 and 8:00 for a near walkon ride.

You can try to go for the "big boys" again between 9:00 and 10:00. You may have to choose between getting the coveted night ride on Grizzly and closing out I-305 (also an amazing ride after dark) as they are at opposite ends of the park. FOF and Volcano should be dead between 9:30 and 10:00 unless you go on a super busy day.

If you are going on a non-busy day, there should not be lines for anything other than Volcano and FOF (maybe a 30 min line at the peak of the day for I-305 if they decide to run only 1 train). You should be able to sweep the park easily by 6:00.

Food at KD is pretty terrible all around or overpriced chains, but Country Kitchen next to Shockwave's helix is the most unique in the park (I said "unique", not "good". If it was me, I would leave and drive to Exit 92 in Ashland to get some decent food on Restaurant Row, but you may want to maximize your time in the park.)

You didn't say when you were going, but I think I covered all the bases for you.

Have fun!!

Paul

PS One thing to note, Volcano holds people outside of the mountain queue area until the station is nearly clear. Even though the line may appear long (if you have been there in the past, it is not as long as it used to be due to all of that extra space.) If you see just one or 2 queue rails in the holding pen being used, that is actually a very short 10-15 minute wait.

On the other hand, in the morning (at when I went), they did not hold the line until the "herd" started building in the line and were saying "hold the line for _ trains" (may have been an opening day mistake). Being 2 queue rails from the mountain entrance was a disadvantage at this point as it took around 45 mins to get our ride (factoring in all the fast lane people that just came bouncing in after we made the rope run and I learned late about the platinum early entry.)

Be observant and you won't get burned!!

This is a great gameplan, I must say. I often go to Kings Dominion a few times a season and I always get suckered into going into Dominator first, although I KNOW it's a bad idea to do so. When I go back later on this summer, I'm going to try and get there early for once so I can take advantage of my platinum pass. I get tired of always waiting for Volcano.

Re: A Game Plan For Kings Dominion by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/21/13 6:04:55 AM
Ok, I'll go for Volcano then Intimidator 305. After that, I'll play everything else by ear. When the line is under twenty minutes, I'll ride. Back Lot Stunt Coaster, Avalanche, Woodstock Express, and Grizzly are additional sure things because I like them. 305 and Dominator are the only new coasters and ones I know I need to try. I don't like to walk back and forth long distances. This is not a small park, but is basicaly flat. I will try to finish one area before moving into another.