Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed!

Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed!

coastergirl93

Posted:
5/14/13 at
9:54:20 PM

My boyfriend and I are planning on visiting Hershey Park during mid june for three nights and I was wondering if anyone had tips on what to hit first, last, where to eat, anything you would like to share? We are planning on going three days in a row unless one of them rains. We are thrill seekers and love the big rides but both haven't been there for around 10 years. Also how crowded would going in midjune be and would they let me go on rides with glasses on if I bought straps? Any advice would be appreciated!

* This post was modified at 5/14/13 9:56:22 PM *

Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by alpengeistno3 at 5/14/13 11:32:19 PM
Well, unless things have changed, it would be in your best interest to hit Fahrenheit first. Skyrush is tempting, but is in a high traffic area 1st thing in the morning and is usually dead by late afternoon. From Fahrenheit, get Storm Runner and Sidewinder out of the way, then move on to Midway America for Wildcat, Wild Mouse and Lightning Racer with little to no wait.

By this point, you can have more than half of the coasters done before noon, even on the busiest day. If it is in your plans to do the Boardwalk, now is the time to do it as it will get unreasonably crowded quickly (you may even want to skip Midway America until afterwards if you really want to do that.) From there, if you like BBQ, the Spring Creek Smokehouse outside of Trailblazer is the place to go. If not, there are tons of options from chinese to standard park fare. (Check your map for exactly what suits you)

You can now go hit the other side of the park. Trailblazer should not give you much problem and neither should Sooperdooper Looper. Great Bear and Comet can be busy if the park is crowded, but Great Bear moves pretty fast, so you can just grin and bear it. Comet NEVER gets any shorter until the very end of the night, so you may have to just suck that up, too, unless you are very patient (and with 3 days, I think you have time to be). Take out Skyrush sometime after 5:00 for a 30 min or less wait and reride what ever you want before coming back to Skyrush near closing for what should be near walkon rides.

If things get crowded, you can take a tour of the Chocolate Factory, walk Zoo America, ride the monorail or train, or ride Extreme Cup Challenge (a shooting dark ride) using the single rider line (always do the single rider line. Chances are good you will be paired with your partner anyway and it is immensely shorter than the regular queue when busy.)

Lightning Racer is another good fall back ride when things are busy. With 4 trains, it has the best capacity in the park.

These are tips for if you only have one day, so with 3 days, you have more than enough time to ignore all of this and just do what you want.

Paul

Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by coastergirl93 at 5/14/13 11:53:36 PM
Thank you so much Paul for your advice! I will definitely listen to every tip and your 100% right about hitting fahreinheit first since it has such a low capacity number of people.
Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by ktujon ktujon Profile at 5/14/13 11:57:35 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

From there, if you like BBQ, the Spring Creek Smokehouse outside of Trailblazer is the place to go.

mmmm I can smell the bbq from a mile away!

Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/17/13 9:37:27 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Well, unless things have changed, it would be in your best interest to hit Fahrenheit first. Skyrush is tempting, but is in a high traffic area 1st thing in the morning and is usually dead by late afternoon. From Fahrenheit, get Storm Runner and Sidewinder out of the way, then move on to Midway America for Wildcat, Wild Mouse and Lightning Racer with little to no wait.

By this point, you can have more than half of the coasters done before noon, even on the busiest day. If it is in your plans to do the Boardwalk, now is the time to do it as it will get unreasonably crowded quickly (you may even want to skip Midway America until afterwards if you really want to do that.) From there, if you like BBQ, the Spring Creek Smokehouse outside of Trailblazer is the place to go. If not, there are tons of options from chinese to standard park fare. (Check your map for exactly what suits you)

You can now go hit the other side of the park. Trailblazer should not give you much problem and neither should Sooperdooper Looper. Great Bear and Comet can be busy if the park is crowded, but Great Bear moves pretty fast, so you can just grin and bear it. Comet NEVER gets any shorter until the very end of the night, so you may have to just suck that up, too, unless you are very patient (and with 3 days, I think you have time to be). Take out Skyrush sometime after 5:00 for a 30 min or less wait and reride what ever you want before coming back to Skyrush near closing for what should be near walkon rides.

If things get crowded, you can take a tour of the Chocolate Factory, walk Zoo America, ride the monorail or train, or ride Extreme Cup Challenge (a shooting dark ride) using the single rider line (always do the single rider line. Chances are good you will be paired with your partner anyway and it is immensely shorter than the regular queue when busy.)

Lightning Racer is another good fall back ride when things are busy. With 4 trains, it has the best capacity in the park.

These are tips for if you only have one day, so with 3 days, you have more than enough time to ignore all of this and just do what you want.

Paul

I totally agree. I must admit I do hustle down to Skyrush at opening, because I love that coaster. I then follow that exact same pattern. It's probably good to save Skyrush for the end of the day. That's when that coaster really shows it's teeth. On side note, try to fit in Flying Falcon. It's a good flat ride.

Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/17/13 10:46:10 PM
Great advice Paul! Would it be ideal to take one or two rides on fahrenheit before going to storm runner? Also would i be able to get 2 rides on storm runner or should i settle for 1? I am not 100% sure on going this year, but there is a small chance i can still go this summer.

* This post was modified at 5/17/13 10:47:30 PM *

Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by alpengeistno3 at 5/18/13 12:12:35 AM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Great advice Paul! Would it be ideal to take one or two rides on fahrenheit before going to storm runner? Also would i be able to get 2 rides on storm runner or should i settle for 1? I am not 100% sure on going this year, but there is a small chance i can still go this summer.

Depending how busy it is, you can get quite a few Fahrenheit and Storm Runner rides before the Skyrush crowd shows up. Storm runner, with 2 20 seat trains has a lot better capacity than Fahrenheit's 12 seat trains (they never ran 3 when I was there except when we had the ACE event, so I don't think that counts, as it was a Saturday.)

I say, work Fahrenheit as long as you can (maybe 2-4 rides) then go to Storm Runner. Depending how much you can take walking around and up and over those stairs, you can get as many as 5-10 rides before any serious line develops. And you aren't too choosey about where you sit.

Paul

Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/18/13 1:30:39 AM
Good call, thanks. And by walking (in terms of kd's dominator line and steps) how big is the walk?
Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/18/13 6:21:17 AM
Comet would take a lot of time wants the park has been open a while. I would go there first, get one ride in. Then try one quick time on Great Bear to avoid the waits later. Then go over to Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, Sidewinder, and Wild Mouse. I love most of the woodens by Great Coasters International, but Lightning Racer and Wildcat have never seemed to have a wait. I would move back over to Trailblazer and Sooperdooperlooper next. I think that one is a great mine train and the other is one of the best by Schwarzkopf thanks to its new trains. By now I would catch some of the flat rides. I like the monorail, skyride, and Chocolate Factory. At the end, you should have shorter waits for Comet, Great Bear, and Skyrush.

I can't imagine THREE days here. If you really like the park, try maybe two. I would drive over to Allentown PA and visit Dorney Park. It is a nice place by Cedar Fair with lots of thrills, good coasters and many flat rides.

Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by coastergirl93 at 5/18/13 11:23:28 AM
Thank you for your advice. Maybe 3 days is a bit too much but we'll make the best of it. We can watch shows, go to the factory, one day just do water rides, etc. We do not drive and it just so happens our hotel has a shuttlebus to the park so were limited to where we can go.
Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by alpengeistno3 at 5/18/13 12:20:17 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Good call, thanks. And by walking (in terms of kd's dominator line and steps) how big is the walk?

The actual walk is not bad since the exit is right next to the entrance, but those stairs go over top of the brake run, which is already 15-20 feet in the air. No problem 3-4 times, but if you are prone to getting tired from walking in the park, it can put some real wear and tear on you early on.

Maybe it's just me since I will criss-cross the park several times to avoid crowds and do several rerides when I find something with a short line.

Paul

Re: Hershey Park Tips/Advice needed! by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/18/13 9:00:46 PM
Oic, thanks again. My knee has been aching as of late, so probably best to minimize the walking especially if i'm going to be doing a lot of zig zagging for the day.