Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Thoughts from Waldameer Park opening day

Thoughts from Waldameer Park opening day

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
5/11/13 at
6:05:06 PM

Just got back from opening day at Waldameer and as always had a great time. Took my mom and dad and despite the chilly temps, everyone enjoyed themselves. Here's a few thoughts from my visit.

Ravine Flyer 2 is still my #1 coaster. The retracking work they did this year is very evident as riding in seat 2.1, the ride was just flying through the course and the smoothness level was off the charts. Truly great stuff and major props to Waldameer for the fine maintenance they have done on this ride.

Music Express was insane. The park added a small fountain next to the ride which looks nice, and the Scrambler got a complete makeover as well with some LED lights and a nice new logo on each car. I know I rode the Express back in December, but I forgot just how fast this one is run. It really hauls both forwards and backwards. As great as the ride is, I have two small complaints. One, I thought this was a park model... Yet the ride is set up on wood planks like at a carnival. Looks kind of out of place at Waldameer. The other was that the ride op was literally yelling into the mic for riders to scream if they want to go faster and the usual lines associated with this type of ride. They either need to turn her down, or have her be a little less obnoxious. I understand getting people involved in the ride, but it was a bit much. Regardless, the GP seemed to love it and I do believe this will be a huge hit this summer.

Whacky Shack was in fine form, as was Pirate's Cove. The recently refurbished Giant Wheel also looked great and gave a rather long ride cycle. And somehow, my dad and I were the only ones on the train. All the employees I encountered were friendly, the park was spotless (the restrooms were amazingly clean. My mom commented on this as well). Saw Mr. Nelson several times looking angry as ever. That always makes me laugh. The guy owns a fantastic amusement park and I don't think I have ever seen him smiling.

I didn't ride a lot. I just wanted to have a good day with the parents, and we did just that. I'll be back for more later this summer and will post a video and TR then.

Thanks for reading!

Re: Thoughts from Waldameer Park opening day by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/11/13 7:07:07 PM
Thanks for the report, Ray. I really gotta get back out there. Even though I've only been there once, RFII remains my #II (appropriate, no?) coaster.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...