Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Cedar Point Opening Day

Cedar Point Opening Day

HatTrick

Posted:
5/8/13 at
10:06:47 PM

I will be at opening day this weekend. I have early entry so I'm planning on getting some of the first rides on Gatekeeper. I wont bore anyone with an entire trip report but I was planning on giving my impression of Gatekeeper after I ride it if anyone wants to hear it. Hopefully the chance of scattered showers keep the crowds down but somehow I doubt it.

Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by Tomes at 5/12/13 2:00:00 AM
So????

I read Frontrow's review and it sounds pretty promising! I want to read more reviews :-) I will be at Cedar Point with my friend on Thursday and Friday (coming all the way from St. Louis) so im SO EFFING EXCITED.

Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by HatTrick at 5/12/13 2:50:33 PM
Gatekeeper! I've ridden it and here are my opinions.

First thing I noticed is that even with early entry we waited in line for 2 and a half hours. Before we got anywhere close to the front of the line all of the first rider t-shirts had been given away. Also while we waited the ride had to be shut down twice due to idiots getting cameras out during the lift hill ascent. Second thing i noticed is that the line moves painfully slow. At times you feel like the line hasn't gone 10 feet in the last 10 minutes. Heard lots of complaints from other people on this subject.

Finally we got to the front and got to ride it. First thing is whoever designed the over the shoulder restraint system is a freakin genius. Its hard to describe but its a flexible hard rubber type of restraint that is super comfortable and needs to be installed on all ots restraint systems.

The ride itself was pretty darn cool. The first drop, being flipped as you go down is a crazy experience. Heavy G's on the loop. Barrel type rolls on the Camelbacks and through the keyholes are alot wilder than on other rides with these elements because your so far from the track. Another thing I noticed is when your watching the ride from the ground it looks slow, like its not going that fast at all but when your riding it feels so much faster like your just screaming though the track. All in all a must ride anytime you go to the park but expect a long wait unless your rich and can afford the $90 for a fastlane pass.

I only got the one ride. Was gonna go back and ride again at night but the Gatekeeper got shut down early, not sure why? Alot of rides were shut down throughout the day. Dragster was shutdown at least half the day. I guess thats to be expected on opening day. For those wondering Windseeker was giving rides for part of the day.

About 8 o'clock it started raining and everything got shut down so we left. Will say lots of security there. Cops were everywhere in the park. I'm guessing the Boston terror bombing may have had something to do with that but it was nice seeing some guy who thought the rules didn't apply to him getting busted for smoking in a non-designated place. Thats a huge pet peeve of mine.

If anyone has any other questions for me I'd be happy to answer them.

Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by CarouselAmbra at 5/12/13 2:59:34 PM
We had Fast Lane Plus passes. That was the first ride we hit. It was about a 15 min wait. The climb to the top boasted an absolutely incredible view of Lake Erie. The speed of the ride was amazing. It was definitely a very fun thrill ride. I don't think it lived up to all of the hype and expectations that were set, but it was quite impressive. On the same level as Magnum and Millenium in my opinion. Definitely a lot of fun

:-)

Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by ktujon ktujon Profile at 5/14/13 2:02:58 PM
I was there on Monday 5/14/13 first ride around 4pm the line moved very fast took less than 5min to get to the fast lane entrance which is where the line splits to your choice of riding the left or the right side.

I chose the left side took around 5min to get to the loading station, a ride op greeting you at the top and assigned rows but also took requests, I request the back row(row 8) and took the outside seat.

The over the shoulder restraints are identical to the ones at Hershey's sidewinder ride and were very comfy.

My next ride was around 7:15pm, the park closes at 8pm so by then the line started at the fast lane entrance I chose the right side and went for the 2nd row inside seat since there was at least 10 pairs waiting for the front seat.

The inner seats have a metal fence that you could grab on to but I think its there to prevent your leg from kicking the inner part of the train.

Both sides have great views and since it was a breezy day, felt alot of wind to my face throughout the ride.

Riding the back row I felt the pull on the 1st drop as well as on another hill, but while riding the 2nd row didn't feel anything just a decent view of the park while going up the lift.

Overall my impression of the ride it felt like riding a B&M floorless (Medusa, Dominator at KD) with a fresh view and comfortable restraints.

Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by Tomes at 5/14/13 7:06:11 PM
Some mixed opinions here...
Last one doesn't sound too promising. I think we'll hit up the front left right as we enter the park.

2 more days :-D

Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/14/13 7:53:47 PM
ktujon said:
Overall my impression of the ride it felt like riding a B&M floorless (Medusa, Dominator at KD) with a fresh view and comfortable restraints.

Thanks for an honest assessment.

Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by NotSo NotSo Profile at 5/18/13 11:46:16 AM
The thing about opening morning was, they opened at 8:30am and had no crowd control. We came in the beach entrance, and when we got near Gatekeeper there were 3 seperate lines, with one of them running all the way down to the as far as i could see towards Raptor. I wasn't about to walk down there, so we got in the short line. Again, Cedar Point did zero crowd control for opening, so if you came in the front gate you probably thought thats where the line started. We got there at 8:45 and after they opened it we were off the ride and in line for MF by 9:30am.
Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/18/13 6:38:42 PM
NotSo said:

The thing about opening morning was, they opened at 8:30am and had no crowd control. We came in the beach entrance, and when we got near Gatekeeper there were 3 seperate lines, with one of them running all the way down to the as far as i could see towards Raptor. I wasn't about to walk down there, so we got in the short line. Again, Cedar Point did zero crowd control for opening, so if you came in the front gate you probably thought thats where the line started. We got there at 8:45 and after they opened it we were off the ride and in line for MF by 9:30am.

What did you think about Gatekeeper, and where did you sit?

Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by NotSo NotSo Profile at 5/19/13 7:59:58 AM
Opening day only ride was row 4. Not very impressed, thought it was very slow. I have been doing this long enough to know one ride is not enough to form an opinion of a ride, so i reserved judgement. Wed and Thurs i had multiple front and back row rides. The back is very intense, and the front seat is pretty damn impressive.
If there are 3 rides i want to get on during a day at CP, its MF TTD and Maverick. Gatekeeper doesn't quite get into that group for me yet, it's more with the Raptor, Skyhawk, and Magnum group for now..
Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 5/22/13 8:56:49 AM
NotSo said:

Opening day only ride was row 4. Not very impressed, thought it was very slow. I have been doing this long enough to know one ride is not enough to form an opinion of a ride, so i reserved judgement. Wed and Thurs i had multiple front and back row rides. The back is very intense, and the front seat is pretty damn impressive.
If there are 3 rides i want to get on during a day at CP, its MF TTD and Maverick. Gatekeeper doesn't quite get into that group for me yet, it's more with the Raptor, Skyhawk, and Magnum group for now..

That second group of rides isn't a bad group to be in per say. I think when it comes down to it, adding a ride that can rate around a 6-8 for a coaster enthusiast on a scale of 1-10 only means good things for a park. Usually the GP think the ride is a lot better, but it's still awesome to get more rides at a park, regardless if they beat the top enthusiast picks already in place.

My "home park" is Great Adventure, as it's just 45 minutes away. I wouldn't want a Wingrider, it just wouldn't be my pick for another ride, but if they went with one, I wouldn't be upset and I would welcome the addition.

I'm excited to see if Gatekeeper beats out Wild Eagle, that's the only Wingrider I've been on, and I also hope to get on X-Flight a few days after Gatekeeper. Wild Eagle was fun, but I have a feeling the visuals and keyhole element will bring Gatekeeper ahead of it for me. We shall see!

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Cedar Point Opening Day by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 5/22/13 7:12:10 PM
I've gotta say Gatekeeper ranks right up there with the top coasters in the park. It's such a unique experience it's hard to compare to anything else. I think it offers a much more true "flying" effect than B&M floorless coasters. Plus, with the train design and seating arrangement, the inversion experience is totally unlike any other coaster.

I think it keeps its speed and intensity well, also. So, I rank it right up there with Maverick and Magnum. CP has continued to wow me with its coaster additions.

- Pat-O