Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Quick Thoughts from a Quick Trip to Dorney Park

Quick Thoughts from a Quick Trip to Dorney Park

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
5/6/13 at
9:31:02 AM

With upcoming trips to Cedar Point and northern California, I needed to process my Platinum Pass. Sunday was as good a day as any.

- I made great time to and from. I don't ever remember making the trip that quick.

- Absolutely gorgeous day - perfect weather for a trip to an amusement park.

- Very speedy pass processing.

- I missed this place. I hadn't been there since Halloween 2010 for some weird reason.

- All of the rides look spectacular - it's almost like they paint everything, every year.

- The plan was to only stay briefly. Even that was cut short by a phone call about a family medical issue... No worries, everyone is well.

- I rode Stinger, completing my collection of the three standard sized Vekoma inverted boomerangs in the U.S.

- Oddly enough, I'll be at California's Great America in June. I'm probably one of only a few people to go to CGA and ride their former Invertigo across the country in the same season...

- I really think there is a swing tower coming soon. That concrete pad next to Stinger is huge, and circular...

- I rode Steel Force twice - back car and second car. The wheel seat in the back car felt a little bumpy - I didn't mind. The second car middle seat was glass smooth.

- I actually confronted two punk kids (@ 16 years old) after my first ride. First, they threw a penny from the top, trying to hit cars in the employee lot.
Then in the helix, I felt a spray. I looked forward and I saw them both spitting up into the air. I yelled at them from my seat, three rows back. They didn't do it again. I approached them afterward and asked why they thought it was funny to spit on people. They squirmed and blamed each other. I followed them to see if they ran to their parents, to whom I wanted to report the incident anyway. No sign of them. Well, at least they'll think twice before they do that again.

- Maybe I'm becoming crabby in my old age (early 30's), but I have ZERO patience for coaster spitters, especially when I get sprayed.

- I got in line for Thunderhawk. I shortly left the line, as that's when the phone call came. I had to go.

- I will say that Dorney is easily one of the most photogenic parks I've been too. The park is home to so many great-looking rides, and they've placed them perfectly throughout the park. There is a real opportunity for some really neat shots, some of which I got today.

User Submitted Picture

Dorney Album - Facebook

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Quick Thoughts from a Quick Trip to Dorney Park by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/6/13 1:21:37 PM
Nice report. We are planning a Knoebles/Dorney trip this year. I'm just waiting to see if Flying Turns will be opening this year. If it does, we are headed that way. I called the park last week and asked if Flying Turns has an opening day scheduled. The answer was no. I still want to make that trip even if Flying Turns doesn't open this year. My brother has never been to either park, so he is very eager to make that trip. When I do visit Dorney, I plan on taking a lot of photos. Like you said, the park is very photogenic. It seems every time we visit Dorney everything is a walk on, and we get caught up on riding multiple times. I never take the time to photograph the park.
Re: Quick Thoughts from a Quick Trip to Dorney Park by drachen drachen Profile at 5/6/13 1:26:39 PM
frontrow said:

Nice report. We are planning a Knoebles/Dorney trip this year. I'm just waiting to see if Flying Turns will be opening this year. If it does, we are headed that way. I called the park last week and asked if Flying Turns has an opening day scheduled. The answer was no. I still want to make that trip even if Flying Turns doesn't open this year. My brother has never been to either park, so he is very eager to make that trip. When I do visit Dorney, I plan on taking a lot of photos. Like you said, the park is very photogenic. It seems every time we visit Dorney everything is a walk on, and we get caught up on riding multiple times. I never take the time to photograph the park.

Thanks Ken. You're right about finding time to take photos. When it's a park that I visit semi-regularly, I usually skip photos all-together. I hadn't been to Dorney since 2010, let alone taken photos, so I wanted to make sure I did that.

I do think Flying Turns will open this year, but I don't expect Knoebels to announce it. I fully expect it to be opened one day, and we all find out via discussion forums...

I know as soon as I find out any news, URC will know about it.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Re: Quick Thoughts from a Quick Trip to Dorney Park by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/6/13 6:24:02 PM
Nice tr. at least for you it was under 3 yrs, for me i think i was last there before it was bought by CF (so 1991?). i wouldn't recognize that place now. Laser mist've been the main big coaster i remember, but was too little to ride it.

Kudos to you on confronting those mini punks. I'm not the confrontational type, but i am glad they coward when you confronted them. I hate kids like that just ruining an otherwise pleasant day at the park.

* This post was modified at 5/6/13 6:25:01 PM *

Re: Quick Thoughts from a Quick Trip to Dorney Park by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/6/13 7:31:53 PM
I too had idiots on Steel Force. Taking off their shirts and showing their middle finger wasn't necessary. It was on the last ride. I don't like ending the day with such badness. Praises to you for saying something; I just wanted to go. Fortunately I was there again more recently without incident.
It is a lovely park. Steel Force and Talon are great. Hydra is a little small but does have that strange element. Thanks to some re-racking, Thunderhawk is a better than average PTC. Twisted impulses like Possessed are pretty good. I have come to enjoy the inverted boomerangs (more so than the normal sit-down ones). Where the park really stands out for me is with its flats. Dominator, Demon Drop, Meteor, Revolution, Apollo, the Ferris wheel, Whip, and Thunder Creek Mountain flume ride made the place extra special with things that you don't always see.
Re: Quick Thoughts from a Quick Trip to Dorney Park by drachen drachen Profile at 5/6/13 10:30:57 PM
theRock-steel said:

It is a lovely park. Steel Force and Talon are great. Hydra is a little small but does have that strange element. Thanks to some re-racking, Thunderhawk is a better than average PTC. Twisted impulses like Possessed are pretty good. I have come to enjoy the inverted boomerangs (more so than the normal sit-down ones). Where the park really stands out for me is with its flats. Dominator, Demon Drop, Meteor, Revolution, Apollo, the Ferris wheel, Whip, and Thunder Creek Mountain flume ride made the place extra special with things that you don't always see.

I agree completely. Dorney has a fantastic collection of non-coaster rides. A certain regional park to the south could learn a thing or two in that regard.

I just wish they would have found a new spot in the park for the Krazy Kars (gas powered hover-craft-like bumper cars). That was a must ride every time...

Hang Time is also a good one, with a less-than-nauseating cycle running. The park also has a two nice train rides, including the classic Zephyr.

People call me crazy when I say I prefer Dorney Park to Hershey. But for me, it's a clear choice. The only thing Hershey has on Dorney is it's collection of wooden coasters. If Dorney ever added that long-rumored GCI coaster, it would be a hands down winner.

drachen
Re: Quick Thoughts from a Quick Trip to Dorney Park by drachen drachen Profile at 5/6/13 10:32:03 PM
Another quick thought from my visit yesterday...

As I climbed the Steel Force lift, I noticed to the right that the swan paddle boats are sitting off to the left, behind employee parking. Sitting with the swans was a two legged carnivorous dinosaur. I couldn't watch... I hope the swans survived!

drachen
Re: Quick Thoughts from a Quick Trip to Dorney Park by antikythera antikythera Profile at 5/7/13 7:51:11 PM
frontrow said:

I will never forget how beautiful it was the first time I went there last fall. Seeing it from the highway and then looking down into the valley from the McDonalds. I literally spent a good hour in that spot just to take it all in. Haven't experienced something like it since. I should share some of the panos I took at some point.