Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR..Quickie At Six Flags Great Adventure-Saturday 5/4

TR..Quickie At Six Flags Great Adventure-Saturday 5/4

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
5/5/13 at
7:43:59 AM

Earlier this week I found out that the surviving Monkees would be playing in Red Bank, NJ. No Davy Jones :(, but WITH Mike Nesmith, with whom I've never seen them play. Mike was my favorite for most of the time I was a fan. I was gonna drive down to pick up a ticket, hit a coupla stores, and have lunch, before heading to a show at night at the theater at which I'm employed.

Thursday, I decided to scrap that plan and hit GAdv for a few hours in the a.m., have a bite in the park, and then head north, picking up the ticket on the way.

I arrived at about 10:05. I managed not to take off my belt this time, simply handed my pouch to the guard and walked in. The roll-up gates at the far right after the security check and ticket booths are reserved for Premium Passholders, and they open them before 10:30. So I was on the platform at El Toro by 10:35, waiting for the first train of the day in the lane for my customarily hoped-for back seat. The only people in the station were a fellow waiting for the front, and what appeared to be a maintenance guy in the second row. The ride ops were gathered around the control area. Next thing, one of them is walking toward the back of the platform. I figure they're about to open the ride. I say Good Morning as he's about to walk past me, but he stops.

"Sir, could you please move to the front of the train?'

"No, I prefer the back."

"Well, we'd really rather you rode in the front car of the train"

"Well, I'd really rather ride in the back, if it's all the same to you"

We volleyed back and forth for a few moments, with me saying "I'm happy to wait until you have more people for weight on the train, but I'm not moving up." After a bit he gave up, turned to his crew-mates and shrugged, and walked back up front. the train ended up dispatching with 4 people, including me. It was the Kia Soul train, on which I got most of my 10 rides. There were often people waiting for my seat, so I did some shifting, and had to walk around after my 6th ride. Toro usually doesn't run that well in the morning, but now that the weather is a bit warmer (GORGEOUS day in Jersey!) it was flying. I got tiny pops of air in places I never knew existed. My only quibble was the rides I had to take in the front seat of a car (but not near the front of the train.) I don't really love those seats, but if the choice is taking that or walking around again, I'll take the former. There's a strange vibration under that seat at parts of the ride. At one point I got in a seat and moved to the right. Attendant comes by and says, "You might wanna move back one," and points to the seat to my left..which was vomit-covered. I hadn't even noticed, but I'm glad I didn't plop my fat A** down there. After some clean-up, we were off.

I walked over and hit Mezzaro for two very good rides. Coulda got way more, but I wasn't feeling that this was gonna be an upside-down day so much. Caught one ride on the Runaway Train, and discovered...by sitting on the left..it is actually possible to keep my hands up the entire ride. Not sure I've been able to do that before. Also, I thought it odd that the attendant collecting loose items from already-seated passengers didn't take the items himslf. Rather, he lifted the very large, heavy looking wooden bins and held them out for people to drop.

On the walk over to RT, I discovered that another piece of classic GAdv architecture has been removed. The giant Conestoga Wagon (I don't know if it was the original one from when the park opened) is gone. It last housed a food stand, but has been removed to make way for the entry/loading area/station for Safari Off-Road Adventures. Two of the trucks were on display, oddly, they did not have the exact same seat configuration. They appear to hold 32-36 people, so if they have enough trucks, capacity MIGHT not be an issue.

The Sky Ride took me to The other end of the park, where Nitro was waiting for me. I got in the lane for the back, and there were two boys ahead of me. I asked if I could go first so I could rack my souvenir cup,and they were fine with that. So I move through the row, drop my cup, and turn around to see a Latino fella in the row, holding his hand protectively over the last seat. As I moved to sit there, he said "That seat's taken" I said, "Yeah, by me." "No, it's my girlfriend's. She's right there" (cup rack) Now these are NOT the people that were behind me a minute ago, and the left two seats were filled (ALSO by people I hadn't seen behind me.) So this guy sits down in third seat, I take fourth, girlfriend is in next row forward. Obviously they were poaching,a nd that's okay. I don't fault someone for doing that..that'd be a classic example of the pot (belly) calling the kettle black. But I only do it when there's no one in a seat AFTER seating is done, and would never steal a seat from under someon's nose as this &%$#head was attemting to do. He was saying something in Spanish to me (probably cursing me out) during the ride, but sometimes being somewhat deaf is a good thing.

GAdv's getting/has gotten new wood...on the loading platforms of Congo Rapids, that is :(

I had five good rides on Nitro, but realized it was after 1pm, the Red Bank Box Office was to close at 3, and I hadn't eaten yet. So I walked over to the Boardwalk, stopping at the Coke Freestyle for a Minute Maid Light Orange Lemonade.

My friend/client Fran e-mailed me this week and mentioned she'd gotten a Nathan's hot dog on the meal plan. I told her she was either yanking my chain or someone made a mistake, because Nathans was not on the meal plan, something I ascertained by checking the site. However, a quick note to Jen and her reply confirmed that Nathans had been added to the roster after we purchased the plan Opening Weekend. The wait for my hot dog was the longest I encountered all day, but it was worth it. I ate walking to the exit, and it was a darn good dog, better than the last ones I had at Coney. I got in my car at 1:45.

So, a good day. Three hours in the park, didn't get first ride until 10:45, and still got in 18 coaster rides and the Sky Ride.

I got my Monkees ticket, arriving at the theater at 2:50. Since I had time to kill before the nighttime show, I backtracked down to Belmar to see if the shore road had been reopened (It was closed in March, way Post-Sandy) I ended up on the beach for a bit. It's in good shape and the boardwalk re-construction is coming along. I haven't read any recent updates on the communities further south, like Seaside.

Thanks as always for reading.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR..Quickie At Six Flags Great Adventure-Saturday 5/4 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/5/13 10:37:45 AM
beastmaster said:

I arrived at about 10:05. I managed not to take off my belt this time, simply handed my pouch to the guard and walked in.

They must have changed something because my bra didn't set it off the last time I went either.

Caught one ride on the Runaway Train, and discovered...by sitting on the left..it is actually possible to keep my hands up the entire ride. Not sure I've been able to do that before. Also, I thought it odd that the attendant collecting loose items from already-seated passengers didn't take the items himslf. Rather, he lifted the very large, heavy looking wooden bins and held them out for people to drop.

Ask Paul about the ride op insisting that I couldn't ride with my waist pack and me arguing that I have ridden this 1000 times with it. They insisted that I take it off and carried the box over. Whatever....

On the walk over to RT, I discovered that another piece of classic GAdv architecture has been removed. The giant Conestoga Wagon (I don't know if it was the original one from when the park opened) is gone. It last housed a food stand, but has been removed to make way for the entry/loading area/station for Safari Off-Road Adventures.

It was removed off season and wasn't there when we went opening weekend either.

Jen

Re: TR..Quickie At Six Flags Great Adventure-Saturday 5/4 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/5/13 11:45:58 AM
I missed that. Jeez, I'm old.
Re: TR..Quickie At Six Flags Great Adventure-Saturday 5/4 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/5/13 11:54:34 AM
beastmaster said:

I missed that. Jeez, I'm old.

Don't feel bad - I did too. I didn't really notice it was gone until me and Paul were on the Runaway Train (and I was there one time in between too) but it says it was removed in the off season on GAdv history. I have a picture of the fence with the "safari opening this spring" sign so it was definitely not there when we went but we probably didn't notice because we were probably focused on the construction.

Jen

Re: TR..Quickie At Six Flags Great Adventure-Saturday 5/4 by alpengeistno3 at 5/5/13 1:57:28 PM
beastmaster said:

I arrived at about 10:05. I managed not to take off my belt this time, simply handed my pouch to the guard and walked in.

I wonder if they turned them down for just the reason Jen mentioned. Wanding all the ladies had to get pretty awkward on a busy Saturday.

beastmaster said:

, waiting for the first train of the day in the lane for my customarily hoped-for back seat. The only people in the station were a fellow waiting for the front, and what appeared to be a maintenance guy in the second row. The ride ops were gathered around the control area. Next thing, one of them is walking toward the back of the platform. I figure they're about to open the ride. I say Good Morning as he's about to walk past me, but he stops.

"Sir, could you please move to the front of the train?'

"No, I prefer the back."

"Well, we'd really rather you rode in the front car of the train"

"Well, I'd really rather ride in the back, if it's all the same to you"

We volleyed back and forth for a few moments, with me saying "I'm happy to wait until you have more people for weight on the train, but I'm not moving up." After a bit he gave up, turned to his crew-mates and shrugged, and walked back up front. the train ended up dispatching with 4 people, including me. It was the Kia Soul train, on which I got most of my 10 rides. There were often people waiting for my seat, so I did some shifting, and had to walk around after my 6th ride. Toro usually doesn't run that well in the morning, but now that the weather is a bit warmer (GORGEOUS day in Jersey!) it was flying. I got tiny pops of air in places I never knew existed. My only quibble was the rides I had to take in the front seat of a car (but not near the front of the train.) I don't really love those seats, but if the choice is taking that or walking around again, I'll take the former. There's a strange vibration under that seat at parts of the ride. At one point I got in a seat and moved to the right. Attendant comes by and says, "You might wanna move back one," and points to the seat to my left..which was vomit-covered. I hadn't even noticed, but I'm glad I didn't plop my fat A** down there. After some clean-up, we were off.

Considering the usual subpar performance of Intamins in the morning hours, it is not surprising they wanted you to move up. Surprising that after all the quibbling, they still didn't have enough people to satisfy them that your "extra weight" in the back wouldn't matter.

beastmaster said:

I walked over and hit Mezzaro for two very good rides. Coulda got way more, but I wasn't feeling that this was gonna be an upside-down day so much. Caught one ride on the Runaway Train, and discovered...by sitting on the left..it is actually possible to keep my hands up the entire ride. Not sure I've been able to do that before. Also, I thought it odd that the attendant collecting loose items from already-seated passengers didn't take the items himslf. Rather, he lifted the very large, heavy looking wooden bins and held them out for people to drop.

Seeing how Runaway Train is one of the few rides that still has bins on the platform (and no stupid locker requirement), it seems there is a directive in place that the ops may not take your stuff from you to place in the bins. Picking up the entire bin is a laughable way to do it!

beastmaster said:

On the walk over to RT, I discovered that another piece of classic GAdv architecture has been removed. The giant Conestoga Wagon (I don't know if it was the original one from when the park opened) is gone. It last housed a food stand, but has been removed to make way for the entry/loading area/station for Safari Off-Road Adventures. Two of the trucks were on display, oddly, they did not have the exact same seat configuration. They appear to hold 32-36 people, so if they have enough trucks, capacity MIGHT not be an issue.

Of course, with any new ride at Six Flags, it isn't a matter of how many trucks they HAVE; it depends on how many they are willing to USE. (Flash Pass, anyone?)

beastmaster said:

The Sky Ride took me to The other end of the park, where Nitro was waiting for me. I got in the lane for the back, and there were two boys ahead of me. I asked if I could go first so I could rack my souvenir cup,and they were fine with that. So I move through the row, drop my cup, and turn around to see a Latino fella in the row, holding his hand protectively over the last seat. As I moved to sit there, he said "That seat's taken" I said, "Yeah, by me." "No, it's my girlfriend's. She's right there" (cup rack) Now these are NOT the people that were behind me a minute ago, and the left two seats were filled (ALSO by people I hadn't seen behind me.) So this guy sits down in third seat, I take fourth, girlfriend is in next row forward. Obviously they were poaching,a nd that's okay. I don't fault someone for doing that..that'd be a classic example of the pot (belly) calling the kettle black. But I only do it when there's no one in a seat AFTER seating is done, and would never steal a seat from under someon's nose as this &%$#head was attemting to do. He was saying something in Spanish to me (probably cursing me out) during the ride, but sometimes being somewhat deaf is a good thing.

The woes of doing the park alone. What is a guy to do to save a couple bucks on soda?

beastmaster said:

My friend/client Fran e-mailed me this week and mentioned she'd gotten a Nathan's hot dog on the meal plan. I told her she was either yanking my chain or someone made a mistake, because Nathans was not on the meal plan, something I ascertained by checking the site. However, a quick note to Jen and her reply confirmed that Nathans had been added to the roster after we purchased the plan Opening Weekend. The wait for my hot dog was the longest I encountered all day, but it was worth it. I ate walking to the exit, and it was a darn good dog, better than the last ones I had at Coney. I got in my car at 1:45.

Shocking, since Nathan's is one of the independently owned vendors in the park, right? I guess they must have felt like the meal plan was affecting their bottom line and the only way to break even was to join in. Or people must have complained that there was nothing but dry burgers and cold chicken strips on the menu and Gradv sweetened the deal for Nathan's to jump in.

beastmaster said:

Thanks as always for reading.

Mike

Nice TR, Mike. Enjoyed it!

Paul

Re: TR..Quickie At Six Flags Great Adventure-Saturday 5/4 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/6/13 11:48:47 AM
Actually, Paul, there's a very wide variety of choices on the meal plan...many too healthy for me. But I've already had pizza for the first time ever at GAdv (better than I expected with sausage) and expect to also have my first in-park Italian sausage sandwich at some point.
Re: TR..Quickie At Six Flags Great Adventure-Saturday 5/4 by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/6/13 1:08:41 PM
Great TR Mike. You seem to visit SF Great Adventure on really good days. As for the Nitro situation, it seems like there are few bad apples any where you go. Although I rarely encounter rude guests. It's usually the staff that I have a problem with.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.