Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point

Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
5/4/13 at
6:23:49 AM

Well, the insomnia bug hit me again last night - still up - BUT I started planning my CP trip (got a ticket for $30 on e-bay a few days ago - YAY!) and I realized that leaving from where I live now I will actually be passing Kennywood. I've never been there so that's an unexpected but great change of plans. I'm also going to have to go sooner than anticipated due to potential new job training/schedule so I'm planning on going on the 20th of May to KW and 21st to CP as of now anyway.
So here are my questions:

1. It will take approx 5 hours to get to Kennywood. If I leave around 6-7am I should get there by noon - will that give me enough time to hit the major rides? The website says open until 10 pm but will close earlier if crowds are light (anyone know HOW early they do this?) Looks like they got a new Frisbee that I will LOVE :-).

2. Hotel after the park - I can stay closer (30 min from the park) with about a 3 hour ride to CP the next morning or travel 1 hour 10 min and have a 2 hour ride to CP - what would you do? I'm torn on this and leaning towards the 1 hour drive after the park to have a shorter drive to CP in the morning.

3. What is Kennywood's terrain like? Flat and smooth cement/tar or cobblestone/cement with rocks, etc since I'll have to use the knee scooter there because there is no way in hell my ankle could take 2 consecutive days at amusement parks right now. The bumpy terrain KILLS my knee on that thing. Planning on getting the fast pass at CP to avoid any long periods of standing.

4. Order of operations at Kennywood to maximize time and the must rides, the should ride if you have time and the don't waste you time rides. I'd like to get everything done as soon as possible so I can get to the hotel and rest up since I'll need my energy for CP!

Thanks in advance!
Jen

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 5/4/13 7:31:09 AM
You should be able to hit em all.
Must rides, Everything, Well I'll say this, Hit all the one of a kinds for sure.
Auto Race
Kangaroo
Turtle
Haunted ride
NOAH'S ARK, however it might not be kind on your ankle. There are steps involved.

Coasters
Jack Rabbit, Middle car middle seat for double down. You may not have a choice though.
Racer
Thunderbolt back seat :)
Phantoms Revenge, Front seat at least once for view cresting the cliff.
Exterminator is a spinny mouse in a box and would also be longest wait of the day, If you must, Id pick supper time to try.
Old Mill will also be a long wait, Love the ride, Hate the Garfield theme.

The park itself is rather flat but the parking lot is on a hill and is gravel. You could either use the preffered parking or park at the top of the hill and use the skyride down.

Love me some Kennywood.

* This post was modified at 5/4/13 7:32:20 AM *

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/4/13 3:27:01 PM
First off, I'd be glad to meet you at Kennywood on May 20th. I have a season pass, and May 20th is day where I can get you in for $10. I just checked the web site, but I will stop in guest relations to confirm that when I visit the park next weekend. I live 21 miles from Kennywood, and it takes me 6 hours to get to Six Flags Great Adventure. That's with one food stop, and going 5-10 miles per hour over the speed limit. Being you live east of SF Great Adventure, it would probably take at least 6 hours, if not a little longer. Make sure you have gps or good directions. Kennywood is not directly off the interstate; you must travel some urban roads in order to get there. May 20th will be a school day, but Kennywood has more school picnics than any other park. As for ride order, it matters what is important to you. Kennywood has a great mix of good modern rides, along with classic, rare rides. If the crowds are light, you should get everything in. Normal waits for all rides and coasters is usually around 30 minutes, but like I said, May 20th is a school and hopefully there won't be many school picnics. It takes about 3 1/2 hours from Kennywood to Cedar Point, from gate to gate. Like someone else mentioned, Kennywood is paved and is pretty flat, but the parking lot is gravel. Parking is free unless you want preferred parking. I usually get to the park so early that I grab a parking spot really close. Kennywood seems to draw their crowd around noon. You can knock off about 5 or 6 rides in that first hour. Keep me updated. I'll post on this tread again after next weekend. I should have more information by then.
Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/4/13 3:45:32 PM
frontrow said:

First off, I'd be glad to meet you at Kennywood on May 20th. I have a season pass, and May 20th is day where I can get you in for $10. I just checked the web site, but I will stop in guest relations to confirm that when I visit the park next weekend. I live 21 miles from Kennywood, and it takes me 6 hours to get to Six Flags Great Adventure. That's with one food stop, and going 5-10 miles per hour over the speed limit. Being you live east of SF Great Adventure, it would probably take at least 6 hours, if not a little longer. Make sure you have gps or good directions. Kennywood is not directly off the interstate; you must travel some urban roads in order to get there. May 20th will be a school day, but Kennywood has more school picnics than any other park. As for ride order, it matters what is important to you. Kennywood has a great mix of good modern rides, along with classic, rare rides. If the crowds are light, you should get everything in. Normal waits for all rides and coasters is usually around 30 minutes, but like I said, May 20th is a school and hopefully there won't be many school picnics. It takes about 3 1/2 hours from Kennywood to Cedar Point, from gate to gate. Like someone else mentioned, Kennywood is paved and is pretty flat, but the parking lot is gravel. Parking is free unless you want preferred parking. I usually get to the park so early that I grab a parking spot really close. Kennywood seems to draw their crowd around noon. You can knock off about 5 or 6 rides in that first hour. Keep me updated. I'll post on this tread again after next weekend. I should have more information by then.

That would be AWESOME!! I completely forgot that's your home park. It's 347 miles from my house and said it would take 5 hr 47 min but I always shave time off what Google directions tell me, and estimate a speed of 70 mph. It has me going the Penn Tpke to rte 30 then off at 5th ave and over a bridge then straight until Kennywood. If you have a faster way I'm all ears!

Jen

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/4/13 4:05:47 PM
GoYanks34 said:

frontrow said:

That would be AWESOME!! I completely forgot that's your home park. It's 347 miles from my house and said it would take 5 hr 47 min but I always shave time off what Google directions tell me, and estimate a speed of 70 mph. It has me going the Penn Tpke to rte 30 then off at 5th ave and over a bridge then straight until Kennywood. If you have a faster way I'm all ears!

Jen

I was just looking at the map, and that is the way I would take. Route 30 is a decent road, but when you get off on 5th avenue, then cross the McKesport bridge, that is when you are in urban streets. Once you cross that bridge you're only 4 or 5 miles from the park. I actually live south of the park. You'll becoming in from the north. That seems to be the fastest and easiest way.

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/4/13 11:00:22 PM
Ken, come on...this is JEN we're talking about. 347 miles? Pssshhh. She'll do that in 3 hours.

Jen, Black Widow is an awesome Frisbee. And PLEASE don't be like yours truly and completely forget about Noah's Ark. And don't miss Exterminator, whatever you do.

Mike

* This post was modified at 5/4/13 11:01:02 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/4/13 11:23:19 PM
beastmaster said:

Ken, come on...this is JEN we're talking about. 347 miles? Pssshhh. She'll do that in 3 hours.

Jen, Black Widow is an awesome Frisbee. And PLEASE don't be like yours truly and completely forget about Noah's Ark. And don't miss Exterminator, whatever you do.

Mike

It looks awesome and then the next day I get MaxAir! I LOVE Frisbees! I also have to remember to ride the mine train and Skyhawk at CP - In all the times I was there I've never even noticed them never mind rode them! Hopefully Ken can come to Kennywood and then I'm sure he'll direct us as to what we need to do and which way to go. It's his home turf. This is all so sudden I'm actually feeling a bit overwhelmed, LOL!

Now the Exterminator won't kill the Black Widow, will it? (oh yes - a joke you would have made!)

Jen

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/4/13 11:30:40 PM
No one has chimed in on the hotel situation. Choices are around a 30 minute drive after Kennywood and then a 3 hour drive to CP the next day or an hour 15 min drive and around a 2 hour drive to CP.

I booked the hotel in Lima, OH (the one farther) since I can cancel the reservation and that's the way I'm leaning. I figure that's the equivalent of me driving back from SFGAdv when I lived up north and shouldn't be too bad but I will be leaving very early and spending most of the day at the park so I don't know how tired I'll be. Thinking the shorter drive in the morning to CP is more important than the shorter drive after Kennywood.

Agree or disagree?

Jen

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/5/13 12:59:46 AM
I have left the house at 4:00 am and drove to SF Great Adventure. We stayed at the park until 8:30, then drove to the Reading Pa exit. It was about 1 1/2 hours. I was pretty tired, but it is doable. Your plan to drive to Lima Ohio sounds good. It also depends on how much sleep you get the night before.

Mike is right about Black Widow. It's by far my favorite frisbee. I'm just hoping for good weather and light crowds. That time of year is very unpredictable. One day the park will be very busy, and nearly empty the next. I'm also going to ask guest relations about the early closing times. In the past,the park would remain open for at least 8 hours minimum. Be prepared for single train operations on Phantoms Revenge and Thunderbolt. This is common week day operations. Racer will have 1 set of trains, that's all they can run. Jack Rabbit and Sky Rocket almost always run 2 trains. Kennywood is a great park, but their ride operations and rude employees are frustrating.

The rides I would recommend trying to fit are:
All 6 coasters, Phantoms Revenge, Sky Rocket, Exterminator, Thunderbolt, Jack Rabbit, and Racer.
Other rides: Bayren Kurve, Black Widow, Swing Shot, Kangaroo, Turtle, Noah's Ark, Log Jammer, Auto Race, and The Whip.
Kennywood has one of the best flat ride collections, but unfortunately they are as popular as the coasters. Check some out on YouTube.

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by alpengeistno3 at 5/5/13 1:16:01 AM
What I always did was go to Kennywood until around 5-6:00 then drive to Cedar Point and try to get a couple of the big 3 knocked out before closing. I'm used to staying on the road, so maybe that might not work for you.

I say try to get into Ohio that night. Much easier to stay up late than wake up early (for me, at least.) You will lose a lot more time making a late start at Cedar Point than leaving Kennywood a few hours early, if you are tired.

Even on a busy day, you should be able to get everything you want done if you get there at open and take care of Phantom and Exterminator early. Watch Phantom, though because they love one train ops at Kennywood and if there is any sized line, it would be in your best interest to come back if there is a possibility of them adding a 2nd train.

Don't forget, no single riders on Thunderbolt and the other 2 woodies do not allow for choice of seat. (unless that has changed since 2007).

Paul

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/5/13 4:45:32 AM
frontrow said:

Your plan to drive to Lima Ohio sounds good. It also depends on how much sleep you get the night before.

Mike is right about Black Widow. It's by far my favorite frisbee. I'm just hoping for good weather and light crowds. That time of year is very unpredictable. One day the park will be very busy, and nearly empty the next. I'm also going to ask guest relations about the early closing times. In the past,the park would remain open for at least 8 hours minimum. Be prepared for single train operations on Phantoms Revenge and Thunderbolt. This is common week day operations. Racer will have 1 set of trains, that's all they can run. Jack Rabbit and Sky Rocket almost always run 2 trains. Kennywood is a great park, but their ride operations and rude employees are frustrating.

The rides I would recommend trying to fit are:
All 6 coasters, Phantoms Revenge, Sky Rocket, Exterminator, Thunderbolt, Jack Rabbit, and Racer.
Other rides: Bayren Kurve, Black Widow, Swing Shot, Kangaroo, Turtle, Noah's Ark, Log Jammer, Auto Race, and The Whip.
Kennywood has one of the best flat ride collections, but unfortunately they are as popular as the coasters. Check some out on YouTube.

You will need every minute at Cedar Point that you can get. Having less far to drive that morning is a good thing. I try to sleep as much as possible BEFORE the whole trip.
Because of the unpredictable nature of Kennywood's crowds, I would hope that the insomnia bug hits again so you can leave for it at 4:00 and get there at opening. This would give that option of walking a short distance without paying for parking. It can be crazy busy there and you will have no warning. The last time for me was coupon day so people got two for one tickets; the line to get in was back into the parking lot and there were ten buses there just at opening. These ride lists are good. Sky Rocket, Phantom, and Jack Rabbit are a must. It has a good theme, but Exterminator is a bit violent for me (spinning wild mouse). If the park is busy and the line is longer than 30 minutes, I would skip that one. I'm not sure about Noah's Ark or Auto Race either. I prefer Aero 360 and Paratrooper. I like Garfield so his Nightmare dark ride is funny. These are all just personal choices.

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 5/5/13 5:54:23 AM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

Mike

It looks awesome and then the next day I get MaxAir! I LOVE Frisbees! I also have to remember to ride the mine train and Skyhawk at CP - In all the times I was there I've never even noticed them never mind rode them! Hopefully Ken can come to Kennywood and then I'm sure he'll direct us as to what we need to do and which way to go. It's his home turf. This is all so sudden I'm actually feeling a bit overwhelmed, LOL!

Now the Exterminator won't kill the Black Widow, will it? (oh yes - a joke you would have made!)

Jen

Never even thought of it. You've learned well, little grasshopper.

Mike-san

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/5/13 8:01:13 AM
I must have missed something... was there something you wanted to see between Kennywood and Sandusky? Lima is WAY out of the way, and is considerably west of Sandusky. There are several shorter and much more direct routes. I generally take route US23 to CP from Columbus. It's a straight shot and only one small town. I can generally make the trip in 30 minutes less than the way the GPS wants to send me.
Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/5/13 10:21:45 AM
No it's not - It's off of I-76 on the way - right before I get to route 80. It actually says North Lima, now that I look at the directions.

I think I'll keep that reservation and do it that way. I am much more of a night person than a morning person anyway and it is easier for me to stay up late than to get up early! :-)

Jen

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/5/13 10:41:26 AM
GoYanks34 said:
It actually says North Lima, now that I look at the directions.

That makes a BIG difference. Lima OH is on I-75.

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/5/13 10:50:51 AM
RobLec said:

GoYanks34 said:

LOL - I saw that after I went on the map to check. It really should be called East Lima!

Jen

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/5/13 10:51:33 AM
RobLec said:

GoYanks34 said:

You may also want to be sure you are not going to "upper sandusky", which is about 90 miles BELOW sandusky.

Geez... who names these places?!!

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by skc2000 at 5/5/13 11:05:18 AM
As far as hotels are concerned other people on this board probably have more experience on this than i do because i do not have a car.i have traveled to sandusky by greyhound bus &/or amtrak train & stayed at hotels in sandusky which offer free shuttle service to & from cedar point.The last time that i was at cedar point was 6 years ago in 2007 right after maverick opened up.I stayed at the best budget inn which was around $70 a night in july & had free shuttle service to & from cedar point.It wasn,t the nicest hotel but the free shuttle service to cedar point helped me alot because it saved me the hassle of calling a taxi cab to take me to & from cedar point.but this was 6 years ago in 2007.The rates are now probably higher now & you might find a nicer &/or cheaper hotel along the way but since i did not have a car(i had to take a taxi cab from the greyhound bus station to the hotel)this hotel was just right for me.

Now as far as lima oh this is what i saw.lima OH & north lima oh are nowhere near each other.Lima oh is directly north of dayton near the indiana border but north lima oh is directly south of youngstown near the pennsylvania border & about half way in between kennywood & cedar point.So jen is probably staying in north lima oh because lima oh is near the indiana border.

As far as hotels are concerned since i am dependent upon public transportation to get around to the parks i always stayed at hotels in sandusky which provided free shuttle service to cedar point but for those of you that have a car you can probably find a nicer & cheaper hotel than the ones that i have stayed in.

But looking at the map Lima OH & North Lima OH are nowhere near each other.I wish i could help out more but this is all the experiences that i have as far as hotels are concerned.

skc2000

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/5/13 11:57:43 AM
RobLec said:

RobLec said:

GoYanks34 said:

You may also want to be sure you are not going to "upper sandusky", which is about 90 miles BELOW sandusky.

Geez... who names these places?!!

I know! :-)

Jen

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/5/13 12:04:53 PM
skc2000 said:

Now as far as lima oh this is what i saw.lima OH & north lima oh are nowhere near each other.Lima oh is directly north of dayton near the indiana border but north lima oh is directly south of youngstown near the pennsylvania border & about half way in between kennywood & cedar point.So jen is probably staying in north lima oh because lima oh is near the indiana border.

As far as hotels are concerned since i am dependent upon public transportation to get around to the parks i always stayed at hotels in sandusky which provided free shuttle service to cedar point but for those of you that have a car you can probably find a nicer & cheaper hotel than the ones that i have stayed in.

skc2000

It is North Lima that I am staying at and I always stay at the Super 8 Milan/Sandusky on rte 250 - it's a really nice hotel (one of the nicer Super 8's and the staff is fabulous) and only about $50/night and a 15 minute drive. I stayed at the Howard Johnson's once right by the park but the place was a dump, about $20 more a night and all those hotels are right by the train tracks. I'd rather save the $20, have peace and quiet and drive 10 minutes farther.

Jen

Re: Logistics question: Kennywood on the way to Cedar Point by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/5/13 1:38:57 PM
skc2000 said:
But looking at the map Lima OH & North Lima OH are nowhere near each other.

I'm somewhat familiar with both, as my mother was born near one and my wife the other, which is why I was curious why Jen had included Lima in her itinerary.

Believe me, there's nothing of interest there, unless you're really into corn.