Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Report on amusement ride injuries

Report on amusement ride injuries

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
5/1/13 at
11:07:02 AM

Here we go again....

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/news/articles/2013/05/01/more-than-4000-us-kids-hurt-each-year-on-amusement-rides

And I think the data actually suggests that the rides are pretty safe (most injuries are caused by a fall) but they look at it as we need more federal regulation. UGH!!!

Jen

Edit: Just found a MUCH better article on the same info:
http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/05/01/17988578-amusement-rides-hurt-4400-kids-a-year-large-study-finds?lite

* This post was modified at 5/1/13 11:11:19 AM *

Re: Report on amusement ride injuries by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 5/1/13 6:16:05 PM
Lol, by those news I guess I should: sue KD and CF for the bruising I got from I305 with their original otsrs giving me 'neck choppings' and bruises on my shoulder. Sue the operators of the CI Cyclone for giving me a wicked whiplash because those trains don't have a headrest to prevent my head from 'snapping back'*.... where does it end?

*they did hurt, but my point is these aren't going to keep me from going back on such rides.

Re: Report on amusement ride injuries by alpengeistno3 at 5/1/13 11:37:16 PM
I was calling some parents about some of my kids' behavior this week and the tv was on in the teacher's lounge (of course, all teachers get phones in their room, EXCEPT the lowly band director!)

Anyway, headline for the hour "New study points out DANGEROUS amusement rides" or something like that. Ironically, the article really focuses on coin op mall rides and has very little to do with staffed, anchored amusement park rides, but of course you would not get that from the images shown during the news broadcast.

Giddy up, it's panic time!!

Paul

Re: Report on amusement ride injuries by RobLec RobLec Profile at 5/2/13 6:10:18 AM
It's all sensationalism and borders on yellow journalism.
Re: Report on amusement ride injuries by Stredain Stredain Profile at 5/19/13 5:46:54 PM
RobLec said:

I tend to agree, roblec. Seriously, whenever an accident happens, everyone starts to panic. I understand the accidents could have been prevented thru maintenance, people following the rules, etc. I recall when the moorings of the ship at Disneyland snapped... it later r was disclosed that infrequent maintenance happened.
Re: Report on amusement ride injuries by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/19/13 6:46:23 PM
Stredain said:

RobLec said:

I tend to agree, roblec. Seriously, whenever an accident happens, everyone starts to panic. I understand the accidents could have been prevented thru maintenance, people following the rules, etc. I recall when the moorings of the ship at Disneyland snapped... it later r was disclosed that infrequent maintenance happened.

Plus this report takes into account ALL accidents such as falling down on the sidewalk and people who had pre-existing conditions and should not have been riding. It is so incredibly rare that a healthy individual who is following the rules will get seriously injured on a ride at an amusement park. You have a better chance of dying in a car accident on your way to and from the park or winning the lottery.....

Jen

Re: Report on amusement ride injuries by Stredain Stredain Profile at 5/21/13 7:44:14 AM
Jen, I hadn't taken that into consideration! Thanks for that insight :)
Stredain