Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Thoughts from California Adventure 04/30/13

Thoughts from California Adventure 04/30/13

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
4/30/13 at
10:24:25 PM

Just returned to my hotel from my first ever visit to Disney California Adventure. A full TR will come when I get home, but here are a few thoughts on my visit.

- The Mickey and Friends Parking garage is like a small city. That thing is enormous.

- Radiator Springs Racers is the real deal. When Disney puts their mind to something, the results are usually amazing, and this is no exception. My only gripe is that guests can see the unfinished backside of the mountains from California Screamin' and Mickeys Fun Wheel.

- California Screamin' was a decent ride.

- Toy Story Midway Mania is a blast.

- Mickeys Fun Wheel scared the bejesus out of me.

- Little Mermaid ride was very well done.

- Goofy's Sky School was pretty brutal.

- Soarin' is a lot of fun, but that film needs an upgrade to HD.

- Tower of Terror was nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be. I lost count of the number of times we dropped. Good stuff.

Overall California Adventure is a very nice park and is a worthy park to carry the Disney name. Crowds weren't overwhelming and the Single Rider Line came in very handy at RSR.

Again, full TR and video will be posted next week. Tomorrow, I''m spending the day at Disneyland for my first visit back since 1997.

Re: Thoughts from California Adventure 04/30/13 by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 5/1/13 1:47:54 AM
Soarin' Over California is better than high-definition and uses an IMAX 15/70 film projector. The resolution, image quality and screen brightness blows away ANYTHING that is digital or HD at this time. There is not a digital projector on the market that can properly project an image of even half that quality on a screen that size.

I agree that California Adventure is a really nice park. It's been one of my favorite parks since it opened in 2001.

Looking forward to the full trip report and photos.

-Eric

* This post was modified at 5/1/13 3:09:03 AM *

Re: Thoughts from California Adventure 04/30/13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/1/13 11:14:10 AM
Eric_Gieszl said:

Soarin' Over California is better than high-definition and uses an IMAX 15/70 film projector. The resolution, image quality and screen brightness blows away ANYTHING that is digital or HD at this time. There is not a digital projector on the market that can properly project an image of even half that quality on a screen that size.

-Eric

Is it the same as the one in Orlando?

Jen

Re: Thoughts from California Adventure 04/30/13 by MABrider MABrider Profile at 5/1/13 1:15:42 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Eric_Gieszl said:

-Eric

Is it the same as the one in Orlando?

Jen

Yep.
Which is why in FL it is just called Soarin.'

Mike B.
Re: Thoughts from California Adventure 04/30/13 by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/3/13 8:04:24 AM
I plan for half a day there. (I got to get out of the airport first). Is that enough time if I do just mainly the stuff that is not duplicated back here at WDW? Radiator Springs Racers, California Screamin', Mickey's Fun Wheel, Goofy's Sky School, and Monsters Inc. are the main things for me. I would like multiple trips on most of those.
Re: Thoughts from California Adventure 04/30/13 by ray_p ray_p Profile at 5/3/13 10:05:37 AM
You should be fine. Cal Screamin' has had some down time recently, so be aware of that. I HIGHLY recommend the single rider line on Radiator Springs Racers. The longest I have waited is 20 minutes thus far (crowds will probably be much worse today though due to extended hours). Both Screamin' and Goofy's Sky School also have single rider lines. Mickeys Fun Wheel is pretty slow loading but is worth the wait.

I honestly recommend a ride on Tower of Terror also. It's different than the Florida version and while many folks find it inferior, I actually enjoyed it quite a bit.

Have a great time...

Re: Thoughts from California Adventure 04/30/13 by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 5/4/13 6:06:42 AM
As I said with DLR, some have said that I could skip things like Soarin', Grizzly River, Muppet Vision, It's Tough to Be a Bug, Toy Story Mania, and Little Mermaid. I'm pretty sure that I'm going to need time to do Cars Land and California Screamin' many times. I am also told that I should make sure that I get a spot for World of Color.