Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > The Rotor makes a comeback

The Rotor makes a comeback

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
4/29/13 at
11:46:18 AM

Apparently Dartron Industries (or perhaps they are now called Battech?) have revived an old flat ride with the introduction of the Rave/SpinDrome. Fans of the old Rotor ride will be thrilled that a new generation of fairground-goers can stick to the spinning wall after the floor falls away from under them.

Here is a link to the picture of a set up unit. I personally hate the look of the ride as it looks like a fun house more than a ride… but that’s just my opinion. I saw some videos of YouTube of the ride in action and it seemed to be quite popular. Unlike the old Chance Rotors, this one starts riders off at ground level, lifts the floor to riding position and then starts up. I assume riders just slide back down to the floor once the ride cycle slows down.

I used to love the Rotor when it was at Geauga Lake. I doubt I could handle it these days, but it’s cool to see an old classic making a comeback.

Rave Picture

* This post was modified at 4/29/13 11:46:54 AM *

Re: The Rotor makes a comeback by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/29/13 1:13:50 PM
I'd sure ride it..I'll take any type of Rotor I can get. Last one I was on was two years ago at Canobie.
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: The Rotor makes a comeback by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/29/13 1:17:01 PM
Cool - It's funny because I can't go on spinning rides because I get sick but I can go on the Rotor since you're just looking across from you so the visual effects that make me sick on other rides don't apply. I remember the Rotor at SFGadv and we'd all try and climb as far up as we could until the ride stopped. Ah, the good ol' days!

Jen

Re: The Rotor makes a comeback by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/29/13 9:34:09 PM
Thats cool but the old one's aren't as rare as youd think, When we did our midwest trip virtually every park had one. Loved the ones they used to have at the carnys, you could lay sideways on the walls and even get upside down and nobody ever complained in fact they'd tell you when they were going to start to slow it.
Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: The Rotor makes a comeback by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/29/13 9:37:02 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

Thats cool but the old one's aren't as rare as youd think, When we did our midwest trip virtually every park had one. Loved the ones they used to have at the carnys, you could lay sideways on the walls and even get upside down and nobody ever complained in fact they'd tell you when they were going to start to slow it.

Yep! They actually used to do that at Gadv way back in the day so you could position yourself to land on your feet. That would NEVER happen now a days! That's probably why they took it out, LOL.

Jen

Re: The Rotor makes a comeback by alpengeistno3 at 4/29/13 10:48:17 PM
GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Yep! They actually used to do that at Gadv way back in the day so you could position yourself to land on your feet. That would NEVER happen now a days! That's probably why they took it out, LOL.

Jen

Well, there was an accident at a park where someone got their foot caught in the seam as the floor raised. Much like the loose bolt in the Chance Chaos, it seemed like that prompted most parks to remove them.

Paul

Re: The Rotor makes a comeback by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/29/13 11:23:03 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Jen

Well, there was an accident at a park where someone got their foot caught in the seam as the floor raised. Much like the loose bolt in the Chance Chaos, it seemed like that prompted most parks to remove them.

Paul

That does sound vaguely familiar now that you mentioned it....

Jen

Re: The Rotor makes a comeback by drachen drachen Profile at 4/29/13 11:31:18 PM
Very cool news Ray! Thanks for passing it along.

I've always been a big fan of the Rotor ride, ever since I first experienced it at Hersheypark. I was afraid to get sick for the longest time, but I finally decided to try it. I'm glad I did because it was very fun, and not nauseating at all.

I also rode the one at Worlds of Fun, which is still operating.

In fact, there are still five or six still operating in the United States. Check out the Wiki page...

Rotor - Wikipedia

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: The Rotor makes a comeback by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/29/13 11:47:54 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

CoasterFanatic said:

Jen

Paul

Like I said, They are all over the central US and that problem was caused by flip flops. They have a shoes or barefoot rule on most of them now or you don't ride.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: The Rotor makes a comeback by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/30/13 4:00:43 AM
I gotta ride this thing one of these days, sooner than later.