Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > New Coasters With Retro Technology

New Coasters With Retro Technology

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
4/24/13 at
4:13:40 PM

While browsing through RCDB, I came across this 'new' Chinese coaster that looks like an old Schwarzkopf or Arrow from the eighties.

www.rcdb.com/11346.htm?p=44746

Despite appearances, the '4 Ring roller Coaster' models are relatively new (oldest being 2007) with the classic lattice arch corkscrew supports, U-arch loop supports and all.

www.rcdb.com/r.htm?ot=2&mo=10887

These coasters are like the equivalent of a cassette tape factory, typewriter, or a card catalog in a library.

Re: New Coasters With Retro Technology by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/24/13 6:37:26 PM
Lol, they'll copy anything... I just hope they don't try to copy the intamin or B&M rides...
Re: New Coasters With Retro Technology by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/24/13 6:57:49 PM
OMG! Arrow should sue for copyright infringement. I bet they hurt a lot more than the worst Arrow coaster (which would be Anaconda IMO)!

Jen

Re: New Coasters With Retro Technology by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/24/13 10:27:03 PM
GoYanks34 said:

OMG! Arrow should sue for copyright infringement.

Well, defunct Arrow is under S&S Worldwide now. I guess that S&S say that they have bigger fish to fry than pursuing the ultra-persistent copycat Chinese manufacturers with lawsuits, esp with that outdated technology LOL. I agree that those particular knock-offs look painful. Those loops look pretty low to the ground to me; I bet they have hellified positive-G's.

Re: New Coasters With Retro Technology by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 4/25/13 8:02:06 AM
That first link basically has the same layout as Canada's Wonderland 1981 Dragon Frye. Drop into double loop turn around into corkscrew Helix up imto brake run.

There is nothing that the Chinese will not steal. Never innovate only copy.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: New Coasters With Retro Technology by Link Link Profile at 4/27/13 10:49:48 AM
Overbanked said:

I agree that those particular knock-offs look painful. Those loops look pretty low to the ground to me; I bet they have hellified positive-G's.

I agree with your observation 100%. Conservation of energy and motion fail. What these copycats seem to not take into account is how Arrow made each loop in descending order. You can see it ever so subtly in the double vertical loops on coasters like the Vortex at Kings Island and a bit more pronounced on Viper at SFMM.
Re: New Coasters With Retro Technology by ericthewanderer at 4/29/13 11:24:19 AM
I think Arrow-or someone else-DID sue those Chinese companies:in a recent ACE news post,supposedly the manufacturers got a "cease & dissist"type court order at a IAAPA trade show.