Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2)

TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2)

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
4/23/13 at
7:44:17 PM

Sunday Morning, following a fitful night's sleep and breakfast at Waffle House, Debby picked me up, and I got to ride to an amusement park in a white KIA for the second (maybe third?) time in my life. As I've mentioned, Deb was afriend of my Mom's who moved to VA in the mid-80's. I reconnected with her back in '06 after Mom died the previous year. I took her now 14-year-old son Zach on his first coaster when meeting them at KD in '08, and it's become a "tradition" to meet them there around Zach's birthday..this was the fifth year we've done THAT. In the car were Deb, her husband Danny, Zach, and his friend Jerry. My going down now is more about visiting with and seeing Debby than riding with Zach. Trying to talk with him is like pulling teeth, and since he usually has a friend with him, he doesn't need the company. Debby and Danny don't ride..she'll do the antique cars (which we did ride) and Dodge-Em's, he might do an occasional water ride. But it's a get-together once a year with people I like.

We arrived right about 10:30. Deb had gotten tickets at her job for $37.99 with no fees..none of us was getting a pass this year. As usual, the boys and I headed right to Dominator. It was cool, but not cold...as opposed to my LAST rides on Dominator with Paul last year in freezing temps and cold rain. The boys took one ride, but I stayed for three. It's still my favorite floorless, despite some graying out on the loop. It maintained its speed really well Sunday due the the complete lack of the MCBR...wasn't on at all, so the train barrelled through.

Volcano was next. Paul and others have commented about the new line configuration where they hold the line before the ramps leading down to the station. All told , I waited 15 minutes at most. My back seat ride was terrific, and I love the airtime I get on the corkscrews.

As a group, we headed over to Intimidator, but I went to the restroom AND snuck a ride on Flight Of Fear before catching up to them. Having come to appreciate Jokers Jinx some, the roughness and braking on FOF is more bothersome to me now. But it's a fun ride. I don't remember the approach to the "saucer" being completely dark as it was Sunday. A girl a few steps ahead stumbled, and I had to grope blindly for walls and handrails before seeing the light.

I got six rides on Intimidator at that juncture, and it remains my favorite steel coaster. I thank God (and Cedar Fair) for the timing that has allowed me never to ride this thing with the braking on the first drop. I think that would have made me quite sad. I do gray out on the turn, but closing my peepers alleviates that. I find the restraints comfortable, although they do jostle my glasses a bit when going down/up. I rode last or next-to-last seat on each circuit. I couldn't poach, but it was a two train maximum wait at that point. With one train, they pump those babies out, man. My ride later in the day before leaving necessitated a 15 minute wait, and as mentioned in another post, I ran into Coaster Dan Biggerstaff, who posts here occasionally. Always hear some good Southern rock in that area. Sunday, among others, Marshall Tucker Band's "Can't You See" and That Smell by Skynyrd.

Danny went and did some shopping while the rest of us hit the KIA for lunch. Deb always brings a cooler with PBJ sandwiches, chips, cookies and drinks.

Went back in to head to the woodies and the other side of the park. Danny had bought a very long walking stick-type thing with a skull on the tip (he's into horror stuff..HE was wearing a Walking Dead tee, not me!) Three cosecutive rides on Grizzly were terrific, not too rough, tunnel airtime as expected, and of course, no line. The boys bailed after one. I should mention that Sunday was Jerry's first time riding coasters of any kind, so he really started off with the big boys, huh?

I rode Windseeker myself, and it looked like Hurler wasn't running. That PO'd me a little, because I'd heard it was doing pretty well thus far in 2013. But it was running and I grabbed two rides after that loooong queue walk. They actually were not bad at all, definitely an improvement. My best wood lap of the day came on Rebel Yell. There was a three or four train wait, which was the longest of the day to that point. Worth every second. I have no idea if there was anything done, but it ran beautifully, with airtime up the wazoo.

We stopped to check out the new karaoke show on the midway across from RY, adjacent to Windseeker. I can't carry a tune in a paper bag, but doing karaoke after my aborted GAdv visit with Donna two years ago made me realize that making a fool of yourself can be fun under the right circumstances. That time, I'd had two SoCoOJ's so this would be a little different. I tried to talk Deb into duetting on Summer Nights from Grease, but she wouldn't bite. So I shared a funnel cake with her, decided I would do the karaoke only if Zach would take a picture, and thoght about what song I would destroy. I chose the Monkees' I'm A Believer (sorry, Judy, no Pie) and went to sign up. Alas, with only three performers per session, the 3pm was already full. I knew we usually leave around 5, so I didn't sign up for that session. Maybe next time.

I didn't want to leave without the afore-mentioned ride on Intimidator, but I also try never to skip Avalanche..it's just too unique and fun. Waited ten minutes for a ride that seemed fast (I wasn't the only large person on the train, so maybe that was a factor.) I actually never knew they had three trains, although only two were running. The third was sitting adjacent to the brake run.

I finished with a ride on the Woodstock Express, the coaster formerly known as Scooby-Doo. It appears to have earned a paint job.

I skipped Shockwave (down but cycling), Ricochet (slow line) and Anaconda (pain) Speaking of that, my lone lap on Backlot Nut Buster lived up to that moniker as it always does :)..or should that be :( ?

We left a little before 5, and went to Captain D's for dinner, which was disastrous. Danny got a broiled seafood platter which he declared inedible and got his money back. Deb got a fish sandwich, which she called less than average, and me? I decided it was time to try oysters for the first time in my life. I got one down, fighting my gag reflex all the way. Deb and Danny ended up eating most of them, so my supper was hush puppies and fries. The oysters were fried too. My poor eating habits are well documented, but this experience proved one thing..just because something is breaded and fried in oil, that doesn't mean the beastmaster is gonna like the darn thing.

Because I wasn't planning on leaving really early Monday morning, I suggested to Debby that we meet at the Golden Corral near where she lives for lunch..and we did. Wasn't the same without our whole group (Danny was working, Zach in school) but it sure hit the spot. Aside from traffic around Philly, the drive home was pretty smooth..I don't take 95 automatically anymore. It's much less expensive on tolls to take other roads, and only adds 30 minutes to my trip if no traffic.

So in sum..beautiful weather, low crowds, some excellent rides, and best of all?...NO INJURIES!!!

Thanks for reading, folks, as always.

Mike

* This post was modified at 4/23/13 8:22:44 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/23/13 9:31:50 PM
Nice tr!
I second that comment about Dominator. I think it is one of my fav floorless coasters [though I'd like to try out Bizzaro, aka Medusa and see how it is now] to see if it changes my mind. I don't think it has ever caused me to grey out and I rode it 8 times strait without having to get off [got a total of 13 strait rides in a single hour].

I will never get over how I missed out on riding I305 as it was without trims, but if they leave the ride as is now, i'll live with the trim on the 3rd hill. The new restraints are hell of a lot better than the original ones. Keeping my arms up with the old one left bruises on my shoulders.

I take it they didn't trim Hurler? I think someone said it was trimmed on the first drop and that's why, to me, last year seemed tolerable.

Lol, nut buster! I've rode it and didn't think it was that bad. I was more disappointed the effects were still not working. I miss how in 2009 the helicopter would at least rise up and some fire get shot up from the gas tanks.

Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/23/13 9:57:30 PM
Nice reports Mike. It sounds like you had a great weekend. Glad you got to ride Superman ROS this time. Last year we were treated to some fantastic back seat rides. I agree with you on Intimadator 305. It is my favorite steel coaster. I loved the ride in It's very original form. Last year the trim brakes toward the end did scrub off a little speed, but it was still a great ride. I love the new soft restraints. I may do that same trip in October. Thanks for posting both reports. They were very enjoyable. Let me know when you guys are headed to Hershey.
Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/23/13 11:21:45 PM
Thanks for the TR Mike. I'm doing the KD-SFA switcheroo when I visit the area in July.

- Pat-O

Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 4/24/13 9:08:18 AM
Did you happen to notice a little pop of air right before entering the tunnel on Grizzly? They did a ton of track work and structure work on it but this year there seems to be a nice little pop of air right before going into the tunnel. Really have had some of my best rides in a long time on it this year.

Lee

Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by drachen drachen Profile at 4/24/13 10:00:00 AM
beastmaster said:

A girl a few steps ahead stumbled, and I had to grope blindly...

Hmmm...

Sometimes it's fun to take things out of context...

Mike, you DOG!

Thanks for posting both parts 1 and 2. I always enjoy the read.

It's been three years since my last visit to Kings Dominion. I did get a Cedar Fair Platinum pass this year. Perhaps a return visit is in order...

* This post was modified at 4/24/13 10:01:56 AM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/24/13 10:35:43 AM
PkD4Life said:

Did you happen to notice a little pop of air right before entering the tunnel on Grizzly? They did a ton of track work and structure work on it but this year there seems to be a nice little pop of air right before going into the tunnel. Really have had some of my best rides in a long time on it this year.

Lee

Yeah, I did. I expected the one IN the tunnel, but what you describe caught me off guard. Excellent rides.

Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/24/13 10:37:58 AM
drachen said:

beastmaster said:

Hmmm...

Mike, you DOG!

Woof.

Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/24/13 6:51:38 PM
beastmaster said:

drachen said:

beastmaster said:

Hmmm...

Mike, you DOG!

Woof.

LOL - I was thinking the exact same thing!

Nice TR - Am I the only one that prefers Hurler over Grizzly? Don't answer that. Glad to hear Rebel Yell is running nicely - at one time when I was just a little girl that was my favorite coaster so it holds a special place in my heart. I agree with JJ vs FOF - I really like JJ a lot more.

Glad you had a good time!

Jen

Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by alpengeistno3 at 4/25/13 12:08:14 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Nice TR - Am I the only one that prefers Hurler over Grizzly?

Jen

(Crickets chirping)

"Testing, testing. Is this thing on?"

"Bueller?"

Yep, I'd say you're the ONLY one, Jen.

(you said "don't answer that one," but I just couldn't resist :)

Paul

Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/25/13 12:56:49 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Nice TR - Am I the only one that prefers Hurler over Grizzly?

Jen

(Crickets chirping)

"Testing, testing. Is this thing on?"

"Bueller?"

Yep, I'd say you're the ONLY one, Jen.

(you said "don't answer that one," but I just couldn't resist :)

Paul

I figured as much. I HATED Grizzly but actually enjoyed Hurler. Good, less of a wait for me when I go! :-)

Jen

Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 4/25/13 5:19:11 PM
Grizzly is one of my favorite night rides.It used to be even better when it was surrounded by nothing but trees and wooded area.So happy to hear it is giving even more airtime after the track work!!
Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by alpengeistno3 at 4/25/13 10:35:18 PM
GoYanks34 said:

I figured as much. I HATED Grizzly but actually enjoyed Hurler. Good, less of a wait for me when I go! :-)

Jen

Hurler has NEVER has a wait!! (even when it was still new in 1994), lol

Paul

Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/26/13 8:15:59 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

Hurler has NEVER has a wait!! (even when it was still new in 1994), lol

Paul

I actually recall waiting about 30 minutes in 1994, which was my first visit. Never had to wait more than a train since then.

Re: TR: 4/20-21 Six Flags America/Kings Dominion (Part 2) by ktujon ktujon Profile at 4/27/13 9:23:55 AM
what was your longest wait on volcano? mine was back in 2000 I believe waited from 11am-2pm the line started at the tomb raider ride and wrapped around the avalanche before heading into the tunnel entrance