Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > PETA Buys Sea World!!! (well, some of it)

PETA Buys Sea World!!! (well, some of it)

Coaster316

Posted:
4/23/13 at
11:22:27 AM

As much as I love Sea World, don't like the tactics PETA has used in the past, and disagree with them on their anti-Sea World stance, I have to hand it to them for the balls it takes to buy stock in Sea World during their recent IPO. Sounds like they bought just enough to cause a nuisance (attend shareholder meetings, file resolutions, etc.

Hopefully (for me), the result of this brash move will be nothing more than a few media grabs during stockholder meetings and the occasional failed resolution, but it should be an interesting story to follow for a while.

PETA Buys Sea World!

Re: PETA Buys Sea World!!! (well, some of it) by pyl-driver pyl-driver Profile at 4/23/13 8:25:56 PM
Don't understand it at all. Could care less about Sea World, but I love both BGT-BGW parks. Hope nothing hurts them.
Re: PETA Buys Sea World!!! (well, some of it) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/24/13 6:07:15 PM
This is a very bad thing for Sea World operations - probably won't affect BG very much. While I don't agree with PETA's extreme views, the way Sea World used to trap and capture wild sea mammals in the past is horrible. Luckily they pretty much captive breed right now. I would love to be a fly on the wall in those board meetings!

Jen

Re: PETA Buys Sea World!!! (well, some of it) by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/24/13 9:13:14 PM
This story was also mentioned briefly on the Tampa bay local news last night. They mentioned that PETA had bought sixty shares and that in the past they were trying to restrict Seaworld from capturing and breeding wild animals.
Re: PETA Buys Sea World!!! (well, some of it) by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/24/13 10:52:40 PM
RobLec said:

This story was also mentioned briefly on the Tampa bay local news last night. They mentioned that PETA had bought sixty shares and that in the past they were trying to restrict Seaworld from capturing and breeding wild animals.

PETA is against ALL captive animals, especially those wild caught (that part I agree with) but to suggest that an animal born and raised in captivity can simply be released and thrive in their natural environment is ludicrous. It's like when animal rights groups break into labs and release all the animals - they die (and depending on the research being conducted can actually spread disease to other animals). And then all research must be restarted so another batch is brought in. Completely defeats the purpose.

Jen