Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!?

$20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!?

Streaker Streaker Profile

Posted:
4/15/13 at
7:15:48 PM

I just checked the webiste for my current home park SFDK and found the daily parking fee is now $20. Seriously? Wow, come on now, twenty bucks just to park the car. That's a bit much.

Then I got curious and decided to check the other U.S. Six Flags parks. Here is what I found...

$17 at SFMM and SFFT (least expensive)
$22 at SFGAm and SFGAd (most expensive)
$20 at 7 other Six Flags parks (mid price, but still high)

I was realy surprised to see that the park near Los Angeles (SFMM) has one of the lowest rates at $17. Chicago and New Jersey are the most expensive at $22 each. I thought for sure Los Angeles would be at the higher rate.

It all seems like a lot of money to spend before you even get to the main gate. I guess from a business perspective they keep the season pass price relatively reasonable so they make up for it by charging more for parking. That's still seems rediculously high just for parking. And I didn't even check the price of non Six Flags parks.

The high parking price alone has me re-thinking my park visits this year.

Share YOUR thoughts about $20(+/-) parking...
-Streaker-

Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/15/13 7:47:03 PM
I said it five years ago when it went to 15 and ten years ago when it went to ten.

SO YOU PENALIZE ME FOR MAKING THE EFFORT TO GET THERE? Sheesh, Any other park but KI would cost me 50-100 to get too alone in fuel.

And they wonder why I love HW, Kennywood, Knoebels and other parks that make money but don't penalize you. Heck most of the parks you mention used to offer shuttle or tram service and car assist service included in the parking.. NOT ANYMORE!.

Streaker said:

I just checked the webiste for my current home park SFDK and found the daily parking fee is now $20. Seriously? Wow, come on now, twenty bucks just to park the car. That's a bit much.

Then I got curious and decided to check the other U.S. Six Flags parks. Here is what I found...

I was realy surprised to see that the park near Los Angeles (SFMM) has one of the lowest rates at $17. Chicago and New Jersey are the most expensive at $22 each. I thought for sure Los Angeles would be at the higher rate.

It all seems like a lot of money to spend before you even get to the main gate. I guess from a business perspective they keep the season pass price relatively reasonable so they make up for it by charging more for parking. That's still seems rediculously high just for parking. And I didn't even check the price of non Six Flags parks.

-Streaker-

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/15/13 8:25:56 PM
While we are complaining about prices, it cost me $35 in tolls round trip to Hershey and $60 round trip to Six Flags Great Adventure.
Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/15/13 11:13:35 PM
Six Flags likes to let you know before you even step in the gate that they will rip you off during your entire visit. It's that simple.

I didn't renew my pass and I haven't been to a Six Flags park since last July.

Six Flags Magic Mountain pricing is because the market has competition. Disney and Universal aren't charging $20.

On a side note, what do tolls have to do with ripping off people for parking?

* This post was modified at 4/15/13 11:22:11 PM *

Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/16/13 12:20:33 AM
Streaker said:

-Streaker-

I think parking is ridiculous everywhere. It's $30 to park at a ballgame. When I used to go in the 90's it was $5. Around $35 for football games at the stadium. At least you can get season parking at the amusement parks you frequent most. If that wasn't an option I probably wouldn't get a season pass because I wouldn't go nearly as often as I do if I had to pay $22 to park.

Cedar Point is $20 for parking so they're just as guilty - it's not just Six Flags.

Jen

Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by Rollercoaster_freak220 Rollercoaster_freak220 Profile at 4/16/13 12:38:18 AM
Cedar Point's parking is $15 for regular vehicles, $20 for over-sized vehicles (RVs and such) and $25 for preferred parking. So CP is not just as guilty, though it is still high.

I think parking prices are out of control. But, they get away with it because that's the only way to get to most parks, and because just like food and drinks, people will still pay. It's really rather infuriating.

Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/16/13 12:45:44 AM
Rollercoaster_freak220 said:

Cedar Point's parking is $15 for regular vehicles, $20 for over-sized vehicles (RVs and such) and $25 for preferred parking. So CP is not just as guilty, though it is still high.

I think parking prices are out of control. But, they get away with it because that's the only way to get to most parks, and because just like food and drinks, people will still pay. It's really rather infuriating.

Oops- I read the wrong line - sorry! As I was looking Universal charges $15, Busch Gardens $15 and Disney $14 and when you think that going to Disney World almost always includes multiple parks on multiple days - that's just as bad but at least they have the monorail to go between parks.

Jen

Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/16/13 5:38:45 AM
I think Ken was just adding to the overall point about how much we spend before we even set foot IN the parks. Taking the "best".. i.e. fastest..route to KD was costing me nearly $20 just in tolls. Now I take a different route. It adds only a half-hour or so to my trek, but reduces tolls substantially.

* This post was modified at 4/16/13 4:04:24 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 4/16/13 5:59:09 AM
I seem to remember that Six Flags cost the most for parking. Over Georgia is 24 I believe. This is insane. In Atlanta and Chicago I made sure that I got a motel that I could walk to the park from. Sometimes where you are staying even has discount tickets for admission. (I went to SFGAM twice on that trip because I loved it and it didn't cost as much.)
Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/16/13 8:46:25 AM
Often times we will stay at a place that offers shuttle service to and from the park(s). Worst that happens is it's inconvenient. You have to be at the drop off when the shuttle leaves, and maybe miss the fireworks or something. A couple times we stayed right across the street from a park and walked, which is definitely the best deal of all - for those who are able to do it.

As far as tolls... yeah, I'd consider it part of the cost of visiting the park. Overall the parking increase shouldn't be that surprising. After all, you even have to pay to check luggage on a flight nowadays. Customers are nickle and dime'd for everything and it all adds up.

Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by Eric_Gieszl Eric_Gieszl Profile at 4/16/13 9:02:18 AM
Luggage versus Parking are similar and yet different.

I don't have a problem paying for parking, but I do have a problem paying $20. It's especially punitive when you attend the park alone -or- in the case of Six Flags where they literally keep the toll booths open until an hour before the park closes. Even Disney stops charging about 3 hours before the park closes.

However, with regards to the airlines they are under so much pressure to keep fares low that they have made most of their services a la carte which I think is fine. If they included those services fares would have risen more.

But one major difference is they don't charge their frequent fliers those fees. I have never paid a baggage charge on any airline and I check bags all the time. I'm a frequent flier on United so I can check 3 - 70 lb bags for free and the other airline I regularly fly is JetBlue.

Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/16/13 9:15:47 AM
beastmaster said:

I think Ken was just adding to the overall point about how much we spend before we even set foot IN the parks. Taking the "best".. i.e. fastest..route to KD was costing me nearly $20. Now I take a different route. It adds only a half-hour or so to my trek, but reduces tolls substantially.

Thanks Mike for chiming in. That's exactly what I meant. The original author said something about the cost of going to an amusement park, before you even get to the gate. The next author mentioned how much he has to spend for gas. I then wanted to point out another expense. The bottom line is that everything is more expensive now. There are things you can do to save a little money, like buy a season pass, or stay at cheaper hotels, or eat in restaurants outside the park. Ten or fifteen years ago, things weren't as expensive. Therefore you could visit more parks for less money. Now you must factor in all these increases when planning a trip. Even if these factors, like parking, gas, and tolls, continue to increase I will still go to amusement parks. I just won't be able to go as many or as often.

Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by Streaker Streaker Profile at 4/16/13 8:11:28 PM
okay...well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one feeling the financial pinch from the parks.

Yeah, it's too bad the parking prices have soared in the last few years. Like someone else mentined earlier, I too remember when I thought $10 was too much to pay for parking. Now the parking price has more than doubled.

Just a few years back it was not uncommon for me to drive directly to SFDK for a few evening coaster rides after having a bad day in the office. I even have a photo of me riding Roar while wearing a necktie. Yes, I sometimes even rode with a necktie lol. Ahh the good ole days. At today's parking priceds I can't afford to make the quick drive to SFDK just for a coaster ride to cheer me up after a bad day in the office anymore.

-Streaker-

* This post was modified at 4/16/13 8:15:12 PM *

Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/16/13 8:20:21 PM
Streaker said:

okay...well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one feeling the financial pinch from the parks.

Yeah, it's too bad the parking prices have soared in the last few years. Like someone else mentined earlier, I too remember when I thought $10 was too much to pay for parking. Now the parking price has more than doubled.

Just a few years back it was not uncommon for me to drive directly to SFDK for a few evening coaster rides after having a bad day in the office. I even have a photo of me riding Roar while wearing a necktie. Yes, I sometimes even rode with a necktie lol. Ahh the good ole days. At today's parking priceds I can't afford to make the quick drive to SFDK just for a coaster ride to cheer me up after a bad day in the office anymore.

-Streaker-

Can't you get season parking there?

Jen

Re: $20 (+/-) parking, seriously?!?!? by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/16/13 9:24:34 PM
I worked the toll gates at KI off and on from 2006 thru 2011 and they kept it at $10 for that entire five years. And I do remember when it was like seven dollars for a long time before that. Then midway thru 2011 they upped it to $12 for Spirit Song, their annual Christian rock festival, and kept it there for the rest of the summer, and presumably ever since. Doesn't really matter to me as I always buy a Gold pass with free parking, but when we go to BGT or Orlando we feel the pinch.

BTW I wasn't lumping airline baggage fees in with the cost of visiting parks, just an example of how business are pinching their customers for every penny. I'm not complaining. It is a very competitive economy.