Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Classic Semi-Rare Carnival Rides in Jersey-This Week Only!

Classic Semi-Rare Carnival Rides in Jersey-This Week Only!

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
4/15/13 at
9:24:10 AM

For anyone in the NY-NJ area wishing to make a pilgrimage to the altar of classic, semi-rare carnival rides, here's your golden opportunity.

My church/parish..Our Lady Star Of The Sea in Bayonne, NJ..is having its annual carnival, opening tomorrow (Tuesday) and running through Sunday. I went by this morning to see what they'd have. I sorta hit the jackpot. I say "sorta" because single rider prohibitions may prevent me from riding. But among the featured rides are two of my all time favorites...a Zipper and a Bullet/Satellite/Salt and Pepper Shaker. The Zipper I KNOW will have a ban on single riders. the other I'm not sure about. There'll also be a fiberglass slide and a very rickety, open, scary-looking Ferris Wheel.

When I was in school there, I was scared of the Bullet, and never went on it. My, how times change. Thank you, Knoebels and Kennywood.

If anyone is interested in coming in and maybe being a riding partner, or for your own enjoyment, let me know and I'll give more details. I'm heading to SFA and KD this weekend, so I'd only be able to go to the carnival on Tues-Fri nights.

The rides aren't my be-all and end-all, though. There will be zeppoles.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Classic Semi-Rare Carnival Rides in Jersey-This Week Only! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/17/13 9:21:00 PM
Well, like Meat Loaf sang, two outta three ain't bad. (Get well soon, Marvin!)

After Jeopardy tonight, I headed over to the carnival. Had to park about 5 blocks away. Not as crowded as it can get.

I mentioned above a few rides. They also have a junior swinging pirate ship, a set of swings, and two kiddie spinners.

Since I knew the Zipper would have the single rider restriction, I went to the Bullet/Satellite first. I'm no expert on manufacturers and models, but this was a smaller model, about half the height of the ones I rode at Kennywood, and more recently, Knoebels. Also, the pods don't spin, essentially creating a single rider, caged in version of Dorney's Meteor. The ride was called Dragon Loops. I understand from sources that what I rode was a Loop-O-Plane, and that the model with the rotating pods is a Roll-O-Plane. Again, I've never know much about the distinctions between different models. After checking with the operator to make sure singles were allowed (there was no signage to the contrary) I bought the four tickets the ride takes. Tickets are $1.25 each, so my ride cost me $5. After getting in, I didn't think I'd fit..lap bar is attached to the door. The fella had no problem closing the door, but I was really tight..felt for a moment like I was on Toro waiting for them to start calling "Check Six." The ride cycle was short, I bumped my head several times (Toboggan, anyone?) and the metal bar was jamming me in the gut constantly. But hey, it was $5 well spent!

I hung around a little while at the Zipper, hoping against hope to spot a single that might be a candidate to ride with. Alas, a fruitless effort. The ride looked like it had some really solid flipping action, and people were getting off with the appropriate expressions, so I'm guessing the ride was effective. Oh, well...

Can't leave the carnival without getting a bag of zeppoles. They're large ones, sold at 6 for $4. I know the woman who was bagging, and she always tosses an extra one or two in. Tonight was 8, and they were very good and fresh..not greasy at all (yes, MIKE just said that!!) I don't like as much powdered sugar as many do, and these were just terrific!

* This post was modified at 4/18/13 10:01:25 AM *

Re: Classic Semi-Rare Carnival Rides in Jersey-This Week Only! by mucciared at 4/19/13 6:27:11 PM
Any pics?

I LOVE the zipper, and I am lucky that the Canada Day carnival that rolls through the Niagara area usually brings the Zipper along.

Re: Classic Semi-Rare Carnival Rides in Jersey-This Week Only! by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/19/13 7:19:52 PM
Sorry, no pics.