Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Gatekeeper Media Day

Gatekeeper Media Day

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
4/8/13 at
9:38:44 AM

Cedar Point has announced media day for Gatekeeper. It's May 9th from 4:00am to 6:30pm. All members of the major coaster clubs are invited. ACE sent me an email, and the link to register. I'm registered and will be attending, if I'm still home off the boat. If you are a member of a coaster club, you must register before May 1st and present your membership card at the event. Cedar Point will provide breakfast and lunch.

Re: Gatekeeper Media Day by frontrow frontrow Profile at 5/10/13 12:45:50 AM
Well I had to get back.on the boat 10 days ago. I was due off today, but crew change doesn't leave the office until 8:00 am. The only chance I had at attending Gatekeeper Media Day was if I got off the boat in Cincinnati. As luck would have it, that's where I got off. I headed straight for Sandusky Ohio.

I arrived at Cedar Point at 3:00pm. I checked in at Guest Relations, got my badge, and schedule.At this time Gatekeeper was not open. Raptor and Max Air were open. I opted to get in line for Gatekeeper, being that it opened at 3:30pm. Millennium Force also opened at 3:30, but I was there for Gatekeeper, and to be honest I probably wouldn't have fit on Millennium Force. Fortunately for me, most people had been there all day riding Gatekeeper. So most people headed for Millennium Force. At 3:30 they let us in and the fun began.

I choose the right side and sat in row 4, that's the big boy seat. All of row 4, on both sides have longer belts. I did fit, but it was tight enough that I knew that I wouldn't fit in any other seat. My expectations were high going in, and Gatekeeper didn't disappoint.

One word to describe Gatekeeper: AWESOME. It is the best looping coaster of any type that I have ever ridden. The first drop/ inversion: AWESOME. The 2nd inversion: AWESOME. The zero g roll: Fantastic. The air time hill: really good floater, but probably awesome in the back seat. The key hole: Awesome. The turn around inversion: Incredibly Awesome. The near miss inversion: Visually incredible. The final helix: Forceful. From start to finish it delivers in a huge way.

I got 12 rides, all in row 4. The right side is my much better than the left. The inside seat is very smooth, but the place to be is on the outside. You can feel a little wheel shake on the outside seat, but it is so much more forceful. I really wish that I could have switched seats. I would love to try the front and the back. I was a little disappointed when I learned that Cedar Point was adding a wing rider. As usually, they hit a home run. Gatekeeper is far, far, far, superior to X Flight at Six Flags Great America, in every way. Millennium Force is still my favorite coaster at Cedar Point, but Gatekeeper isn't far behind as my second favorite at the park. I probably rate Gatekeeper as my #12 favorite steel coaster, but I'm more of hyper/giga coaster type of enthusiast. Those of you who are looping coaster lovers, Gatekeeper will be your crown jewel. I can't say enough good things about this coaster.

Thank you Cedar Point for this event and allowing all coaster enthusiast participate. I can't wait to go back in August and let my kids experience this awesome coaster.

Thanks for reading,
Ken

* This post was modified at 5/10/13 1:42:36 AM *

Re: Gatekeeper Media Day by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 5/10/13 11:04:45 AM
frontrow said:

Well I had to get back.on the boat 10 days ago. I was due off today, but crew change doesn't leave the office until 8:00 am. The only chance I had at attending Gatekeeper Media Day was if I got off the boat in Cincinnati. As luck would have it, that's where I got off. I headed straight for Sandusky Ohio.

I arrived at Cedar Point at 3:00pm. I checked in at Guest Relations, got my badge, and schedule.At this time Gatekeeper was not open. Raptor and Max Air were open. I opted to get in line for Gatekeeper, being that it opened at 3:30pm. Millennium Force also opened at 3:30, but I was there for Gatekeeper, and to be honest I probably wouldn't have fit on Millennium Force. Fortunately for me, most people had been there all day riding Gatekeeper. So most people headed for Millennium Force. At 3:30 they let us in and the fun began.

I choose the right side and sat in row 4, that's the big boy seat. All of row 4, on both sides have longer belts. I did fit, but it was tight enough that I knew that I wouldn't fit in any other seat. My expectations were high going in, and Gatekeeper didn't disappoint.

One word to describe Gatekeeper: AWESOME. It is the best looping coaster of any type that I have ever ridden. The first drop/ inversion: AWESOME. The 2nd inversion: AWESOME. The zero g roll: Fantastic. The air time hill: really good floater, but probably awesome in the back seat. The key hole: Awesome. The turn around inversion: Incredibly Awesome. The near miss inversion: Visually incredible. The final helix: Forceful. From start to finish it delivers in a huge way.

I got 12 rides, all in row 4. The right side is my much better than the left. The inside seat is very smooth, but the place to be is on the outside. You can feel a little wheel shake on the outside seat, but it is so much more forceful. I really wish that I could have switched seats. I would love to try the front and the back. I was a little disappointed when I learned that Cedar Point was adding a wing rider. As usually, they hit a home run. Gatekeeper is far, far, far, superior to X Flight at Six Flags Great America, in every way. Millennium Force is still my favorite coaster at Cedar Point, but Gatekeeper isn't far behind as my second favorite at the park. I probably rate Gatekeeper as my #12 favorite steel coaster, but I'm more of hyper/giga coaster type of enthusiast. Those of you who are looping coaster lovers, Gatekeeper will be your crown jewel. I can't say enough good things about this coaster.

Thank you Cedar Point for this event and allowing all coaster enthusiast participate. I can't wait to go back in August and let my kids experience this awesome coaster.

Thanks for reading,
Ken

Awesome ride report - I can't wait to ride it! Less than 2 weeks!

Jen

Re: Gatekeeper Media Day by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 5/11/13 2:31:35 AM
Nice Gatekeeper report. It's good to hear that Gatekeeper kicks butt. IMO the test run POV kinda gave off that 'just okay' look, and I'm aware that different wheels were used on the test run, so speed most likely was altered from the 'real deal' wheels (not to mention, can't judge an ride exp from youtube). Sounds like this bad boy really delivers, can't wait to check it out one of these days.

* This post was modified at 5/11/13 3:09:03 AM *