Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Skyrush

Skyrush

hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile

Posted:
4/6/13 at
5:32:31 PM

According to twitter, Skyrush opened today.

I just hope it will be open tomorrow!

Re: Skyrush by alpengeistno3 at 4/6/13 5:45:37 PM
hersheyworker said:

According to twitter, Skyrush opened today.


I just hope it will be open tomorrow!

There is video of the train cycling on Facebook (one train is ready). No apparent changes, but the lift slows to a crawl at the top. The station has also been shown to be widened (still exiting on the loading side, but at least there is more room to do so now.)

Paul

Re: Skyrush by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/6/13 7:53:46 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

hersheyworker said:

According to twitter, Skyrush opened today.


I just hope it will be open tomorrow!

There is video of the train cycling on Facebook (one train is ready). No apparent changes, but the lift slows to a crawl at the top. The station has also been shown to be widened (still exiting on the loading side, but at least there is more room to do so now.)

Paul

No modifications to the restraints?

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Skyrush by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/6/13 10:28:23 PM
alpengeistno3 said:
the lift slows to a crawl at the top.

Now THAT figures!
One of best moments of the ride...and painless!

I get why they are doing that...but I hate it has come to that for a way to mitigate some of the discomfort of the ride.

Hope it's short term.

* This post was modified at 4/6/13 10:29:29 PM *

Mike B.
Re: Skyrush by alpengeistno3 at 4/6/13 11:03:15 PM
beastmaster said:

alpengeistno3 said:

hersheyworker said:

According to twitter, Skyrush opened today.


I just hope it will be open tomorrow!

There is video of the train cycling on Facebook (one train is ready). No apparent changes, but the lift slows to a crawl at the top. The station has also been shown to be widened (still exiting on the loading side, but at least there is more room to do so now.)

Paul

No modifications to the restraints?

So far, people are reporting "no". Someone said there has not been any complaints of discomfort from the restraints, so take that for what it is worth coming from a facebook post on a Hershey fan site.

Paul

Re: Skyrush by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 4/6/13 11:32:56 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

hersheyworker said:

According to twitter, Skyrush opened today.


I just hope it will be open tomorrow!

There is video of the train cycling on Facebook (one train is ready). No apparent changes, but the lift slows to a crawl at the top. The station has also been shown to be widened (still exiting on the loading side, but at least there is more room to do so now.)

Paul

The lift is my favorite part, well that's disappointing if it's permanent.

I'm going to Hershey tomorrow and hopefully Skyrush will be running and I will let you know about the restraints/thigh pain if I get a chance to ride it.

Re: Skyrush by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/7/13 6:29:36 AM
Hersheyworker, we'll likely be planning a small URC meet-up at Hershey later on. Be great if you could join us!
The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Skyrush by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 4/7/13 8:04:58 PM
beastmaster said:

Hersheyworker, we'll likely be planning a small URC meet-up at Hershey later on. Be great if you could join us!

I would like to this year, now that I have a season pass. I do work Monday-Friday but if I know far enough in advance maybe I could take off.

Re: Skyrush by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/7/13 8:11:09 PM
hersheyworker said:

beastmaster said:

Hersheyworker, we'll likely be planning a small URC meet-up at Hershey later on. Be great if you could join us!

I would like to this year, now that I have a season pass. I do work Monday-Friday but if I know far enough in advance maybe I could take off.

Yeah, I'm in the same situation. We'll try to give everyone enough lead time to request a day off.

I don't have an SP, but I bought a ticket that's good through..I believe..July 31.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Skyrush by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 4/7/13 8:13:18 PM
A few observations from today:

First things first, it was a beautiful day and practically no one in the park. I don't think I waited more than 30 minutes for any ride today.

Now to Skyrush, I was able to ride this 6 times today! The longest wait for the ride was about 30 minutes and that's when we decided to ride in the front, other then the front row I don't think we waited longer than 15 minutes.

The station may have been widened but I'm not totally sure, to be honest it seemed the same to me but today was the first day I rode Skyrush since last June. One nice upgrade is that they now have cubbie holes (spelled?) instead of the lazy susan things, which makes things much quicker when unloading.

The train may slow down a bit at the very top of the lift but it's hardly noticeable, at least to me. The restraints seem the same (possibly a bit more padding) but the ride was way more comfortable on your thighs. The restraints still get tight on your thighs, but its more of a discomfort than pain, I can honestly tell you it was the smoothest and most pain free ride I rode today.

Overall I still love Skyrush (probably more now than ever) and it is definitely my new #1 ride at the park followed by Storm Runner.

Re: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/8/13 2:38:04 PM
hersheyworker said:

Overall I still love Skyrush (probably more now than ever) and it is definitely my new #1 ride at the park followed by Storm Runner.

Blasphemy! How could you say that after all great years Storm Runner gave you? You just throw him away for a younger, prettier coaster? I thought you had more integrity than that! I'm SO disappointed in you Hershey Worker..... :-(

Jen

(I'm joking so no one get offended please - LOL)

Re: Skyrush by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/8/13 4:03:32 PM
Sounds good! I hope to be able to ride it this year :) Seriously missed out last year, despite hearing the stories of pain.

I hate when I don't get to ride a coaster before and after channges (I-305), but hey, if I get to ride it at all I will be a happy camper.

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Skyrush by skc2000 at 4/8/13 4:15:55 PM
The last time that i was at hersheypark was 4 years ago in 2009 so i haven,t ridden skyrush yet.But based on the pictures & videos that i have seen of the coaster here is how i look at skyrush but this is only based on the pictures & videos that i have seen of it.I haven,t ridden it yet

POSITIVE

4 across seating(something that intamin hasn,t done in over 25 years since the mid to late 1980,s)

floorless coaster because the last seat on each side of the row is completely in the air

NEGATIVE

riders exit on the same side as the loading area which delays the loading time

But this opinion is based only on the pictures & videos that i have seen of the coaster.I haven,t been to hersheypark since 2009 so i haven,t ridden it yet.

What does look interesting is that it is a floorless coaster but the floor does not move like
on the B&M version & they did decide to go back to 4 across seating which they haven,t done in over 25 years since 1987.

But based on the reviews that i have heard about how rough it is it doesn,t look like i am missing much by not riding skyrush.

skc2000

Re: Skyrush by alpengeistno3 at 4/8/13 7:18:38 PM
skc2000 said:

But based on the reviews that i have heard about how rough it is it doesn,t look like i am missing much by not riding skyrush.

skc2000

I think someone needs to reconsider their use of the word "rough". I don't recall anyone here ever saying Skyrush was rough. The ride throws you around with its sharp and often unexpected airtime and twists. "Violent," is a far better word to describe Skyrush. "Rough" in the sense of an Arrow looper or ill-maintained woodie does not apply.

You are missing A LOT if all you took from the reviews is "the ride is rough".

Paul

Re: Skyrush by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 4/8/13 7:21:56 PM
GoYanks34 said:

hersheyworker said:


Overall I still love Skyrush (probably more now than ever) and it is definitely my new #1 ride at the park followed by Storm Runner.

Blasphemy! How could you say that after all great years Storm Runner gave you? You just throw him away for a younger, prettier coaster? I thought you had more integrity than that! I'm SO disappointed in you Hershey Worker..... :-(

Jen

(I'm joking so no one get offended please - LOL)

I still love Storm Runner but I really love Skyrush! I would never throw Storm Runner away, I have too many memories from Storm Runner although most include all the days I had to work there, lol.

Re: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/8/13 7:29:21 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

skc2000 said:


But based on the reviews that i have heard about how rough it is it doesn,t look like i am missing much by not riding skyrush.

skc2000

I think someone needs to reconsider their use of the word "rough". I don't recall anyone here ever saying Skyrush was rough. The ride throws you around with its sharp and often unexpected airtime and twists. "Violent," is a far better word to describe Skyrush. "Rough" in the sense of an Arrow looper or ill-maintained woodie does not apply.

You are missing A LOT if all you took from the reviews is "the ride is rough".

Paul

Agreed! It is violent (hoping that really has changed a bit this year from what I've heard so far) but not at all rough. I'd even say it runs smooth, it's the linear forces that kill you on it, throwing you side to side without any support for your body in the seat or restraint to stabilize you. I would imagine if you rode it enough you could learn to defensively ride it properly.

Jen

Re: Skyrush by kdleader kdleader Profile at 4/9/13 10:28:30 AM
I managed to get to Hershey for the last two hours on Sunday. Pleasantly surprised to see Skyrush cresting the hill upon entering the parking lot.

Grabbed five rides with the longest wait for the first ride. Line was on the steps and only waited two cycles. The other four I only waited one cycle.

The space between the queue/bagdrop and the track was widened by about four feet and helps quicken the exiting of the platform. Queue rows were shortened and an attendant would stop the line from overflowing the platform. I could request my row, however, if it was empty or only had two riders allowing both my son and I to ride (backseat of course).

Train crested the hill much slower than last year but it really only takes away from the initial drop. I miss the feeling of being thrown over the top versus just rolling over the top.

Only heard one complaint from a rider concerning the restraints....a teenage girl saying her thighs hurt...but I did see her ride it again later.

* This post was modified at 4/9/13 10:30:28 AM *

Re: Skyrush by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/14/13 11:24:10 PM
We just returned home from Hershey. Being that I just did full TR 2 weeks ago, I'll just comment on Skyrush. We grabbed 2 rides first thing this morning, 1 in the back seat and 1 in row 6. The train did slow a little at the the top of the lift hill, which did scrub a little speed off. In the morning I didn't hear any complaints about thigh pain. We came back to Skyrush in the afternoon, after temperatures warmed up. We waited for the front seat and grabbed another back seat ride. This time the train didn't seem to slow at the top of the lift hill, at least not as slow as it did in the morning. Those 2 rides were Skyrush quality. It was the same ride experience as last year. I heard complaints about thigh pain, and I even felt a little discomfort. I'm not complaining, to me a little discomfort is well worth it. I attempted to hold my hands up during the entire ride, and was thrown around like a rag doll. It was just something I had to try. Overall, Skyrush is still my 2nd favorite steel coaster. For those of you who didn't like Skyrush last year, you probably won't like it this year either.
Re: Skyrush by alpengeistno3 at 4/14/13 11:29:14 PM
frontrow said:

For those of you who didn't like Skyrush last year, you probably won't like it this year either.

Don't say that. SHE might hear you :)

Paul

Re: Skyrush by ktujon ktujon Profile at 4/15/13 8:18:48 AM
frontrow said:

For those of you who didn't like Skyrush last year, you probably won't like it this year either.

I'm looking forward to riding it again thanks!

* This post was modified at 4/15/13 8:22:06 AM *

Re: Skyrush by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/15/13 9:48:41 AM
Just a few opinions from our group. My brother did not like Skyrush at all. He hated the restraints and said it really threw him around. My brother's girlfriend had the same opinion. My oldest son loved it. My daughter, who has ridden it last year, liked it. My daughter did say that she will not ride the back seat ever again. She likes Skyrush, but the back seat is just too much for her. All 4 people did complain about thigh pain on our afternoon rides.
Re: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/15/13 10:33:43 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

frontrow said:

For those of you who didn't like Skyrush last year, you probably won't like it this year either.

Don't say that. SHE might hear you :)

Paul

Crap! All those people on FB were getting me excited that it is different and not as painful. I'll give it one more shot and I'll ride in the front (only rode in the last 2 rows the previous times) but I have a BAD feeling about this....

Jen

Re: Skyrush by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/15/13 10:39:54 AM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

frontrow said:

For those of you who didn't like Skyrush last year, you probably won't like it this year either.

Don't say that. SHE might hear you :)

Paul

Crap! All those people on FB were getting me excited that it is different and not as painful. I'll give it one more shot and I'll ride in the front (only rode in the last 2 rows the previous times) but I have a BAD feeling about this....

Jen

Curious...are you the "SHE" to whom Paul was referring? :) Honest question..I wasn't sure.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Skyrush by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 4/15/13 4:06:39 PM
Thenks for the Skyrush report Ken.So happy to hear that it is still gonna be an insane ride!!!!
Re: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/15/13 6:38:45 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

frontrow said:

For those of you who didn't like Skyrush last year, you probably won't like it this year either.

Don't say that. SHE might hear you :)

Paul

Crap! All those people on FB were getting me excited that it is different and not as painful. I'll give it one more shot and I'll ride in the front (only rode in the last 2 rows the previous times) but I have a BAD feeling about this....

Jen

Curious...are you the "SHE" to whom Paul was referring? :) Honest question..I wasn't sure.

Is there any other "SHE"? :-)

I was saying I wasn't sure if I'd even ride it again after last year. Now there's a discussion going on FB on the Hershey Connoisseurs page (we are all on it) and many people were saying it's not as bad as last year, getting my hopes up that it's tolerable now. I was actually getting excited to ride it again. Bastards! :-(

I'll give it one more try but if I experience more pain than pleasure I'm done with it.

Jen

* This post was modified at 4/15/13 6:39:09 PM *

Re: Skyrush by alpengeistno3 at 4/15/13 7:46:06 PM
beastmaster said:


Curious...are you the "SHE" to whom Paul was referring? :) Honest question..I wasn't sure.

That's because you were finishing up on Lightning Racer when we took our night ride on Skyrush and Jen swore she "would never ride this thing again if they don't fix these horrible restraints!!" (or something like that). Looks like I may be riding in the back solo, like Green Lantern.

Thanks, Ken!! :(

Paul

* This post was modified at 4/15/13 7:47:20 PM *

Re: Skyrush by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/15/13 8:28:30 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

beastmaster said:



Curious...are you the "SHE" to whom Paul was referring? :) Honest question..I wasn't sure.

That's because you were finishing up on Lightning Racer when we took our night ride on Skyrush and Jen swore she "would never ride this thing again if they don't fix these horrible restraints!!" (or something like that). Looks like I may be riding in the back solo, like Green Lantern.

Thanks, Ken!! :(

Paul

I'll ride the back with you Paul. I love the back and the front.

Re: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/15/13 8:32:53 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

beastmaster said:



Curious...are you the "SHE" to whom Paul was referring? :) Honest question..I wasn't sure.

That's because you were finishing up on Lightning Racer when we took our night ride on Skyrush and Jen swore she "would never ride this thing again if they don't fix these horrible restraints!!" (or something like that). Looks like I may be riding in the back solo, like Green Lantern.

Thanks, Ken!! :(

Paul

LMAO! Looks like I'm riding in the front alone instead! Fine! Be that way! :-P

Jen

Re: Skyrush by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/15/13 10:16:26 PM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

beastmaster said:



Curious...are you the "SHE" to whom Paul was referring? :) Honest question..I wasn't sure.

That's because you were finishing up on Lightning Racer when we took our night ride on Skyrush and Jen swore she "would never ride this thing again if they don't fix these horrible restraints!!" (or something like that). Looks like I may be riding in the back solo, like Green Lantern.

Thanks, Ken!! :(

Paul

LMAO! Looks like I'm riding in the front alone instead! Fine! Be that way! :-P

Jen

You won't be alone.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Skyrush by ktujon ktujon Profile at 4/15/13 10:46:22 PM
GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

frontrow said:

For those of you who didn't like Skyrush last year, you probably won't like it this year either.

Don't say that. SHE might hear you :)

Paul

Crap! All those people on FB were getting me excited that it is different and not as painful. I'll give it one more shot and I'll ride in the front (only rode in the last 2 rows the previous times) but I have a BAD feeling about this....

Jen

Don't worry Jen front row is a totally different experience than back row!

Re: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/15/13 11:06:43 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

beastmaster said:



Curious...are you the "SHE" to whom Paul was referring? :) Honest question..I wasn't sure.

That's because you were finishing up on Lightning Racer when we took our night ride on Skyrush and Jen swore she "would never ride this thing again if they don't fix these horrible restraints!!" (or something like that). Looks like I may be riding in the back solo, like Green Lantern.

Thanks, Ken!! :(

Paul

LMAO! Looks like I'm riding in the front alone instead! Fine! Be that way! :-P

Jen

You won't be alone.

YAY! :-)

Jen

Re: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/15/13 11:07:43 PM
ktujon said:

GoYanks34 said:

alpengeistno3 said:

frontrow said:

For those of you who didn't like Skyrush last year, you probably won't like it this year either.

Don't say that. SHE might hear you :)

Paul

Crap! All those people on FB were getting me excited that it is different and not as painful. I'll give it one more shot and I'll ride in the front (only rode in the last 2 rows the previous times) but I have a BAD feeling about this....

Jen

Don't worry Jen front row is a totally different experience than back row!

God I hope so! My body has been through enough lately - I couldn't take another injury!

Jen

Jen

Re: Skyrush by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/16/13 5:27:45 AM
Yeah, even though I've had only one ride on ThighCrush, I'm ready to make that sacrifice.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Skyrush by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/16/13 5:51:21 AM
frontrow said:

My daughter did say that she will not ride the back seat ever again. She likes Skyrush, but the back seat is just too much for her.

I take it that the back has the strongest airtime.

* This post was modified at 4/16/13 5:52:17 AM *

Re: Skyrush by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/16/13 8:56:35 AM
Overbanked said:

frontrow said:

My daughter did say that she will not ride the back seat ever again. She likes Skyrush, but the back seat is just too much for her.

I take it that the back has the strongest airtime.

Not only does it have the strongest airtime, but your body really gets throw around. I love the ride, but I can see how it may be too much for even veteran coaster riders like my daughter.

Re: Skyrush by alpengeistno3 at 4/16/13 9:17:04 PM
I can second that. As we had said before, Skyrush is not rough, but it has some vicious transitions that are amplified in the back (of both the lateral and vertical kind)

Don't let that deter you from the front. Skyrush is the only coaster I have ridden where you actually get "toss-you-out-of-your-seat" airtime on the 1st drop. The rest of the ride will put you into the lap bar on every hill. I don't know if it is as crazy with the lift slowing, but I imagine that even if the 1st drop airtime has been negated somewhat, the rest of the ride still delivers in the air department.

Paul

Re: Skyrush by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/16/13 9:19:01 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

I can second that. As we had said before, Skyrush is not rough, but it has some vicious transitions that are amplified in the back (of both the lateral and vertical kind)


Don't let that deter you from the front. Skyrush is the only coaster I have ridden where you actually get "toss-you-out-of-your-seat" airtime on the 1st drop. The rest of the ride will put you into the lap bar on every hill. I don't know if it is as crazy with the lift slowing, but I imagine that even if the 1st drop airtime has been negated somewhat, the rest of the ride still delivers in the air department.

Paul

Oh Goody!! :-P

Jen

Re: Skyrush by squirrels at 4/22/13 2:02:44 PM
That intial hill/drop really was the defining/mood-setting moment for the coaster. I've ridden a lot of coasters at this point, and the way you feel "thrown" from your seat was genuinely terrifying. Hopefully they haven't neutered that too bad.

The "pain point" on the harnesses comes from a design element of a lot of the newer Intamin coasters...I don't know what the technical name is, but there are places when the coaster quickly switches from banked-left to banked-right at high speed or vice-versa, often at the top of a small hill.

I305 and Maverick both have this feature. At high speed, because the axis of twist is down at the rail, the rider's body is quickly "flung" from one side to the other.

The aforementioned coasters mitigate this somewhat by having shoulder restraints. This is why a lot of riders of Maverick complain about their ears being "boxed around" by the harness and why I305 switched to a low-profile belted OTSR.

On Skyrush, there is no OTSR at all...the only thing holding riders in place is the lapbar. Thus, when the coaster hits the bank-switch, the rider is twisted hard by his/her legs, which puts a lot of force on the thighs. It's not so bad at first, but by that last bank-twist before the brake-run, it had me literally exclaiming, "Ow!". It's only the excitement of the ride overall that makes the leg-tenderizing tolerable.

I'm guessing that they hope slowing the coaster down in general (by reducing the initial launch-hill speed) will reduce the forces applied to riders' legs throughout the ride...which it will. But that "pulled out of your seat" feeling is part of what makes Skyrush such an experience. They need to be careful not to over-trim it.

I know a lot of people were expecting restraint modifications, but my impression is that the restraints HAVE to hold fast for the riders to be safe during these twists, slings, and drops without an OTSR. It's just the nature of the coaster's design that makes any lapbar-only configuration painful to the legs.

Intamin makes coasters like most of us would on RollerCoaster Tycoon...build something with an intensity "13" on a scale of 1 to 10 and then jury-rig it until it becomes barely rideable. :)

* This post was modified at 4/22/13 2:03:59 PM *

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.