Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure

Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
4/5/13 at
12:20:01 AM

Being that Six Flags Great Adventure is my favorite park and I didn't make out last year, I decided to do 2 consecutive days this year. We stayed in Lawrenceburg NJ the night before. We woke up at 8:00am and were on the road by 8:45am. It took 26 minutes to get to the McDONALD'S that is located right outside the park. We grabbed a quick breakfast and headed towards the park. We had plans to meet Jen(GoYanks34) and Paul(alpengeistno3) at the lockers outside the gates. We were there first to arrive. Paul then arrived, and then Jen arrived. This was the first time that I met Jen or Paul. After some brief introductions we headed over to guest services. Jen had to get a handicap pass. At 10:30 they let us enter the park.

We decided to head over to Nitro first. When we got to Nitro they were testing empty trains, with a few people waiting at the entrance. We decided to head over to Batman. I knew I wasn't going to fit, but I stood in line away. Jen and Paul took the back and my brother, Matt and my daughter, Haley grabbed the second row from the back. Paul did attempt to get me in, but it wasn't even close. I thanked him for his effort, then waited for them at the exit.

After Batman we headed back over to Nitro. By this time Nitro was running. We headed into the station, and headed for the back row. Then once again, Nitro goes down. We decided to wait, as everyone else was getting out of line. After about 15 minutes, Nitro was back up and running. Paul,Jen, Haley, and myself took the back row, and my brother took the second from back. This time I had nothing in my pockets. Paul pushed the clam shell down on me and got me in. This time our back seat ride was Nitro quality. It was smooth, fast, and full of air time. When we returned to the station we were able to poach another ride. Jen, Haley, and I moved up to the second from last row with my brother. This time Jen helped me get the clam shell down. Once again we had a really good ride, but I did feel a little wheel shake on that second ride. I was just thankful Jen and Paul helped me fit in the darn thing. For the trip that was 3 rides on Nitro, and I was grateful I got that many.

We then headed towards Kinda Ka. Once again, my brother went off on his own. When we first saw the line, it looked like a 30 minute wait. After we had some time invested in line, it goes down. We decided to wait it out. It wasn't long and trains were being launched again. We got into the loading station and it goes down again. After another delay we now had about a hour invested in it. When it got going again. Haley and I grabbed the 4th row. Jen and Paul waited 2 extra trains for the second row. Once again our ride was great. To me it was well worth the hour wait.

After Kinda Ka we headed over to Green Lantern. On our last visit in 2011, this was the new ride, so the line was long all day. As much as I like SF Great Adventure I knew we would have another opportunity to ride it. Green Lantern was a new credit for my daughter, but I had ridden it as Chang at SF Kentucky Kingdom. The line was about 30 minutes. I had no intention of riding, I didn't think I would fit. As we were standing in line I saw a guy about my size riding it. I got to thinking, its a stand up coaster. I can wiggle my body a little more while standing. After 30 minutes Haley, Jen, and I took the second row. Paul opted for the back row. It took 2 girls, but they squeezed me in there. The ride itself was very enjoyable, much better than I remember. There's no head banging and very little pressure on your legs. Green Lantern is the best stand up coaster that I've been on. I was disappointed when they removed Scream Machine, but Green Lantern is a perfect fit for SF Great Adventure.

After Green Lantern we headed towards El Toro. Jen walked up and got a return time. We had a hour to kill, so we headed to Bizarro. The was a 10-15 minute line. Once again I grabbed a ride in the big boy seat, while Jen, Haley, and Paul went to the back row. Once again, just like the day before, we got a really good ride. While we were returning to the station, my brother caught back up to us. After exiting the ride we had to wait for him to get his ride.

By this time, enough time elapsed were they could ride El Toro. Jen's pass was only good for 4 people, and being I didn't fit the day before, I volunteered to stay behind. While I was sitting there waiting I did get to see my brother and my daughter in the back seat flying around the track. Seeing that was almost as good as riding it myself.

After El Toro we grabbed some dinner. By the time we finished it about 4:15pm. We went over to the kiddie coaster to see if it was running, but it wasn't. My daughter wanted that credit. It was down during our previous visit. We had time for one more ride. We elected to go on Skull Mountain. We waited about 5 trains for back seat. Skull Mountain is a good coaster, especially in the back seat.

After that Haley, Matt, and myself parted ways with Jen and Paul. I had a little souvenir shopping to do, and wanted to be at the car at 5:30. We had a 6 hour ride home ahead of us. All i n all we had a really great time. I didn't get to ride Skyrush, my 3rd favorite coaster or El Toro, my favorite coaster, but I still had a blast. I got meet some really great people from this site for the first time. It was a lot of fun to spend the day with Jen and Paul. I'm really hoping to meet up with everyone again later this year at Hershey.

Thanks for reading,
Ken

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/5/13 10:27:35 AM
Sounds like a good day at Great Adventure. Sorry to hear so many rides had down time. Of course, some times that is a good thing when so much of the GP leaves the queue.

- Pat-O

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/5/13 12:11:50 PM
frontrow said:
We went over to the kiddie coaster

Stop it! I KNEW I shouldn't have left you alone with Jen!!! She's a bad influence!!! :)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/5/13 6:30:49 PM
beastmaster said:

frontrow said:
We went over to the kiddie coaster

Stop it! I KNEW I shouldn't have left you alone with Jen!!! She's a bad influence!!! :)

LMAO! Don't worry - Paul had your back when we were calling it the kiddie coaster, LOL.

Ken - I really thought it was us when the first 3 coasters we went on went down while we were on line. I expect it from KK but on Nitro and Batman? You picked the perfect time to leave too - it got really cold. I had 3 night rides on Nitro and was FREEZING. I left but Paul kept going - he's crazy like that.

I had a great time too and can't wait until we can all get together again!

Jen

* This post was modified at 4/5/13 6:31:24 PM *

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 4/5/13 6:46:22 PM
Hey Ken...Have you ever tried Nitro in the front??? Amazing ride in front far end seat!!
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by frontrow frontrow Profile at 4/5/13 6:53:42 PM
chitlins73 said:

Hey Ken...Have you ever tried Nitro in the front??? Amazing ride in front far end seat!!

On our last visit in 2011 we got 6 rides on Nitro. 3 were in the front and 3 in the back. We've ridden the the front in 2009, 2007, and in 2001. To me, any seat is good on Nitro, but I do prefer the front row or the back row.

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 4/5/13 7:30:36 PM
The middle row on Nitro is not worth my time.That coaster would not even be on my top 30 steel list if I just experienced the middle rows.
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/5/13 7:42:40 PM
chitlins73 said:

The middle row on Nitro is not worth my time.That coaster would not even be on my top 30 steel list if I just experienced the middle rows.

"Like" button :-) I agree 100%!

Jen

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/5/13 8:16:22 PM
frontrow said:

chitlins73 said:

On our last visit in 2011 we got 6 rides on Nitro. 3 were in the front and 3 in the back. We've ridden the the front in 2009, 2007, and in 2001. To me, any seat is good on Nitro, but I do prefer the front row or the back row.

Heh heh..frontrow in the front row...heh heh.

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by alpengeistno3 at 4/5/13 11:19:39 PM
Nice TR and pleasure meeting you too, Ken. I knew I could count on you or Jen to post a TR (still waiting for Mike to do one for SFA!)

As Jen mentioned, that rain came back and cooled things off for the evening. We got 3 more rides on KK before it was just unbearably cold (for me. I think Jen just couldn't walk the queue again.)

Nitro was still running exceptionally well. Thanks to the frigid temps, all the course trim brakes were completely open and the block brake was only lightly stopping the trains. Great ride, but it was VERY cold. I could not believe how many people I saw riding arms-up in T-shirts while I had my hat, windbreaker, and hands bundled in my sleeves!!

Great day and as Jen said, we all need to try to get together again to hang out a Hershey (and maybe, Dorney?)

Paul

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/6/13 7:13:12 AM
alpengeistno3 said:
(still waiting for Mike to do one for SFA!)

Paul

I knew I forgot something....

Remember, I was w/o internet at that time and for a few days after. Now, it's too fuzzy to do a TR. Besides, you at least got on Batwing, so you had a more complete day than I did :(

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #3 SF Great Adventure by more-velocity at 4/7/13 9:57:15 AM
from more-velocity new member, nitro needs a new paint job and new cars! SIX FLAGS GREAT ADVENTURE SHOULD REPLACE DARK KNIGHT! premier rides is back in business, bring back a suped up technologically advanced batman and robin linier induction coaster.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.

A system error occurred. We apologize for the inconvenience.