Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure

Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure

frontrow frontrow Profile

Posted:
4/4/13 at
10:02:26 PM

We woke up at 6:30am. We ate breakfast at the hotel. We probably got on the road at 8:00am. We arrived at the park right before 10:00am. We purchased our season passes for $80 a piece. I misunderstood the prices for their web site. I wanted parking for all Six Flags parks on my pass. I can't remember the price I was quoted, but it was outrageous. With my current plans for the summer, I only plan to visit a Six Flags park only a couple times this year, so it wasn't going to worth the extra money. We were scheduled to meet Mike(beastmaster) at the beginning of the day. I spotted Mike immediately. I had the privilege of spending the day with Mike at Kennywood (my home park), last September. We reunited with Mike. He even brought my daughter some chocolate, and told her The Easter Bunny left it for her. After catching up, we attempted to enter the park early in the season pass line. Come to find out, it was only for premium season passes. Mike was able to get in, but we had to wait in another line. Mike waited for us right inside the park. Finally we entered the park.

We were able to see Kinda Ka testing, so we headed over that way. As we got closer we could tell that they were running loaded trains. Right when we got to entrance of Kinda Ka, it goes down. We decided to head to El Toro. At this point the short cut wasn't open yet. We walked all the way to El Toro to find it down also. Now we could see Kinda Ka running again. We decided to take a ride on Rolling Thunder. We walked onto the second from back seat. Surprisingly, it was a great ride. It was smooth with some nice air. On our last visit in 2011, we had a couple good rides on Rolling Thunder. They were running the far side, and this was the best ride that I have had on Rolling Thunder since my first visit to the park in 2001.

We then headed over to Bizarro. At this point, I was glad we found a coaster that was running. Not only was it running, but there was no line. I had to sit in the big boy seat. Mike, my daughter, Haley, and my brother, Matt sat in various places. We were able to get 4 rides in row. We also met Dion (chitlens73). He was at the park with his brother and his girlfriend. We spoke briefly in between circuits. All 4 rides on Bizarro were awesome. I love the zero g roll, one of the best on any coaster. I really hope this coaster is here to stay for many years. It's one of best floorless coasters. It's smooth, the elements are nicely placed, and I actually like the theming. Our day was starting to get better.

We then headed over to El Toro. El Toro was running, but with only one train. There was about a 25 minute wait. Dion got in line right behind us. We were able to talk while waiting in line. This was the first time that I've met Dion. Even though our interactions were brief, he seems like a really nice guy. Hopefully we can meet up with him at a park sometime in the future. Anyway, we headed towards the back of the train. When it came time to ride, Mike and my brother had the back seat, and my daughter and I had the 2nd from back seat. They pushed my lap bar down and had recheck. Then recheck again, and again. Finally they forced me to make my 3rd ever walk of shame. The bottom line is that I need to loose weight. I've known this, but El Toro is my very favorite rollercoaster. I'm now motivated more than ever. I knew El Toro was 50/50 chance before I left home. I barely fit on my last visit in 2011. I did ride it 4 times that day, but it was very disappointing not to be able to ride it this year. Mike, Haley, and Matt got a good ride on it.

We headed back over to Kinda Ka. My brother has ridden Kinda Ka in the past, but didn't want to ride it on this trip. Matt heard over to Runaway Mine Train. We agreed to meet him later. When we got to Kinda Ka, it went down again. This time we hung out for a few minutes, and they started running it again. My daughter, Haley, never rode Kinda Ka. In fact as we entered the line, I could sense her anxiety. She rode with Mike for her very first ride. I sat directly in front of them. Haley loved it. Kinda Ka is new favorite rollercoaster. We were able to switch seats and stay on for a total of 3 rides. I saw there was only a 3 train wait for front seat, so Haley and I got off and ran back in line to get a front seat ride. Mike was able to stay on another circuit. Finally there were no empty seats for Mike to get in, so he had to exit the ride. Haley and I still had 1 more train to wait. Then it happened. That very next train rolled back. Mike, Haley and myself just barely missed it. Anyway, Haley and I got our front seat ride for a total of 4 fantastic rides. To me Kinda Ka is much more extreme and better than Top Thrill Dragster. After this weekend, I now have the same amount of rides on both coasters. I just like Kinda Ka much more.

We then headed over to Runaway Mine Train to find my brother. Mike, Haley, and myself took a ride on Runaway Mine Train, which we walked onto. We couldn't find my brother. We were over at Kinda Ka for way too long. Our ride on Runaway Mine Train was good. It's one of the best mine trains in the country. Mike informed me that this is a coaster that opened when the park did, making it one of only 3 original rides remaining. The other 2 are the flume and the Ferris Wheel.

I thought my brother my be over by Nitro, so we headed that way. The line for Nitro was on the steps. They were running 2 trains. We waited about 10-15 minutes and boarded the back row. I had a a lot of stuff in my pockets. The ride op. really had to push the clam shell hard to get my fat butt in. I did fit, that's the important part. Our back seat ride was good but not great. Nitro was running a little slow. Now I got much better rides the next day, but I'll get to that in my next TR. I was just glad I was able to ride.

Next up Mike and Haley grabbed a back seat ride on Batman. I was too fat to fit in Batman in St. Louis last year, so after gaining some weight in the off season, I didn't even attempt to fit. I stood in line with Mike and Haley and stepped towards the exit when it was time to ride. I finally met my brother while waiting for Mike and Haley. I also ran into Dion again.

We grabbed some lunch, then headed for Skull Mountain. Skull Mountain was a walk on. We ended up with 4 rides in various seats, I did get a front seat ride. The more I ride that coaster, the more I appreciate it. It's one of my favorite indoor coasters. I love the first drop.

By this time it was starting to rain. We all took a ride on the bumper cars and then walked over to get our season passes processed. The rains grew stronger and we all agreed that we just wanted one more ride. Now I have seen this building at SF Great Adventure every time I've been there. Mike pointed to the building and asked if we wanted to ride it. I didn't even know that there was a ride in there. The ride was called Houdini's Great Escape. This was the pleasant surprise of the trip. The ride is so cool and unique that I will not describe it. For people who haven't ridden this ride, I want them to be surprised like I was. We were actually still talking about that ride on the way home.

After that we parted ways and got to the car at 5:30. We stayed at The Red Roof Inn in Lawarceburg NJ. It was great to see Mike again and an absolute pleasure to spend the day with him. We all enjoyed his company.

Thanks for reading,
Ken

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/5/13 11:55:51 AM
The roll-back train on Ka actually did have empty seats. I was just unable to grab one due to the awkward debarking of my seatmate. I kind of got wedged into the exit airgate and couldn't get back through before they closed...GRRRRR..that was MY rollback. Actually at least now I've SEEN one for the first time.

Ken, Haley, and Matt made for good company and I look forward to meeting up with these folks again in the future (Hershey, anyone?)..even if Haley refused to help me play an April Fools joke on Jen...good people.

Dion actually approached me at the gate before admittance, asking if I was "beastmaster." Even though y'all know I don't really do Facebook, my picture is there and that's how he recognized me. Nice fella, ran into him and his little group several times, took a lap on Mezzaro (to coin a phrase) with them.

Someone from another site proposed meeting at GAdv this Sunday, but I'll likely pass. Probably not next week either, then I head for VA and my favorite steel coaster on the 20th (at KD 21st.)

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/5/13 1:05:25 PM
"Bizarro...I love the zero g roll, one of the best on any coaster."

this

* This post was modified at 4/5/13 1:06:08 PM *

Mike B.
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by chitlins73 chitlins73 Profile at 4/5/13 6:41:23 PM
It was great finally getting to meet Ken and Mike at Six Flags.So now I have met Paul,Rob,Ken, and Mike.I still need to meet Jen and Judy.Never too late to discover some new great experiences about some of the coasters at six Flags.I learned Superman is a way better ride in the back row.Those G forces are amazing going through the pretzel loop in the back.Almost as good as Manta down at Seaworld.I don't think I ever have to wait in line for the front ever again.Also found out that Green Lantern is way smoother and more intense in the back.Hard to believe a coaster can be smoother in the back than the front but Green Lantern proves me wrong.
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by skc2000 at 4/5/13 7:11:58 PM
We then headed over to El Toro. El Toro was running, but with only one train. There was about a 25 minute wait. Dion got in line right behind us. We were able to talk while waiting in line. This was the first time that I've met Dion. Even though our interactions were brief, he seems like a really nice guy. Hopefully we can meet up with him at a park sometime in the future. Anyway, we headed towards the back of the train. When it came time to ride, Mike and my brother had the back seat, and my daughter and I had the 2nd from back seat. They pushed my lap bar down and had recheck. Then recheck again, and again. Finally they forced me to make my 3rd ever walk of shame.

Next up Mike and Haley grabbed a back seat ride on Batman. I was too fat to fit in Batman in St. Louis last year, so after gaining some weight in the off season, I didn't even attempt to fit. I stood in line with Mike and Haley and stepped towards the exit when it was time to ride.
Ken

My weight has been at 270 pounds for the past 6 years since 2007.I used to weigh 220 pounds but i gained about about 50 pounds 6 years ago & it has been like that since then.

Now when el toro first opened up in 2006 i was only 220 pounds back then so i was able to ride it when it first opened because i was only 220 pounds back then.but since i gained that extra 50 pounds there have been 2 times that i got in line to ride el toro but i was unable to.

I was able to ride all of the other coasters at the park but not el toro.Batman the ride i was just barely able to ride batman even with my weight gain.when i boarded batman.i had to take off my coat & empty out my pockets into the bin & only then was i able to squeeze into batman after taking off my coat & emptying out my pockets but i was unable to ride el toro even if i took off my coat & emptied out my pockets.

All the other coasters at the park i was able to do even with my 50 pound weight gain & with my coat on & pockets full but batman only if i took off my coat & emptied out my pockets.

Medusa/bizarro had a tight fit with my coat on & pockets full but i was still able to do it but el toro i could not get in even if i took off my coat & empty out my pockets.

I have to to stop eating all that good food if i want to do el toro again.Not easy because all that good food is so tempting but this is the price you have to pay for eating all that good food.

skc2000

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/5/13 7:46:02 PM
chitlins73 said:

It was great finally getting to meet Ken and Mike at Six Flags.So now I have met Paul,Rob,Ken, and Mike.I still need to meet Jen and Judy.Never too late to discover some new great experiences about some of the coasters at six Flags.I learned Superman is a way better ride in the back row.Those G forces are amazing going through the pretzel loop in the back.Almost as good as Manta down at Seaworld.I don't think I ever have to wait in line for the front ever again.Also found out that Green Lantern is way smoother and more intense in the back.Hard to believe a coaster can be smoother in the back than the front but Green Lantern proves me wrong.

You should join us when we get together for Hershey - time and date TBD.

Jen

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/5/13 8:18:27 PM
chitlins73 said:
Also found out that Green Lantern is way smoother and more intense in the back.Hard to believe a coaster can be smoother in the back than the front but Green Lantern proves me wrong.

Which Green Lantern did YOU ride?

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by more-velocity at 4/7/13 10:16:57 AM
hi guys im the new girl on the block, i am a coaster enthusiast, ALL COASTER FANATICS SHOULD PUT IN A REQUEST TO HAVE DARK KNIGHT REMOVED. IT IS A PIECE OF CRAP, VERY BAD INVESTMENT. IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED BY A NEW LINEAR INDUCTION COASTER USING TODAYS TECHNOLOGY BY PREMIER RIDES. RESURRECT BATMAN AND ROBIN.
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/7/13 10:28:08 AM
more-velocity said:

hi guys im the new girl on the block, i am a coaster enthusiast, ALL COASTER FANATICS SHOULD PUT IN A REQUEST TO HAVE DARK KNIGHT REMOVED. IT IS A PIECE OF CRAP, VERY BAD INVESTMENT. IT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED BY A NEW LINEAR INDUCTION COASTER USING TODAYS TECHNOLOGY BY PREMIER RIDES. RESURRECT BATMAN AND ROBIN.

Stop posting the same message on EVERY post that has anything to do with Great Adventure. Batman and Robin has been sold so it can't be resurrected - go to Beto Carrero World in Brazil if you want to ride it. That's who bought it. After the nightmare that GAdv had with Premier and that coaster I can't foresee them doing any further business with that company, especially not with a similar ride and they already have a launch coaster. A pretty damn good one at that.

Jen

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by more-velocity at 4/7/13 10:44:11 AM
WELL IM SORRY IF I HURT YOUR FEELINGS DUDE! BUT DARK KNIGHT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. POINT BLANK. AND YES I CAN POST MY OPINIONS ABOUT SISSY DARK KNIGHT. BATMAN AND ROBIN WAS MY FAVORITE COASTER, IT WAS A FREAKIN BEAST IN THE RAIN.
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/7/13 11:06:26 AM
more-velocity said:

WELL IM SORRY IF I HURT YOUR FEELINGS DUDE! BUT DARK KNIGHT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED. POINT BLANK. AND YES I CAN POST MY OPINIONS ABOUT SISSY DARK KNIGHT. BATMAN AND ROBIN WAS MY FAVORITE COASTER, IT WAS A FREAKIN BEAST IN THE RAIN.

First, I'm not a DUDE. Jennifer is a girl's name last I checked and I don't know you well enough for you to "hurt my feelings". That would imply that I care. Second if you want to be taken seriously you either write one response or start a new thread. Third, don't post in all caps on a forum - it's horrible to read and implies yelling. And lastly, The Chiller was one of my favorite rides too but it's gone and another one like it will never be in Gadv again because it was a technical nightmare and there is already a record breaking launch coaster in the park. None of us like the the Dark Knight so we don't ride it. Do I hope it's eventually taken down and replaced by something better? Yes, but there are enough other great coasters to ride and plenty of room for a new coaster elsewhere in the park that it really doesn't affect me or anyone else for that matter. If you don't like it, don't ride it.

Trying to give some constructive criticism here if you want to be taken seriously. And probably not the best idea to start ridiculous "fights" with anyone who is an established member of a forum the first time you post.

Jen (female)

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by more-velocity at 4/7/13 11:23:18 AM
i am not starting a fight with anyone, i am also a female, and and avid coaster enthusiasts, my apologies for saying dude. I was not yelling, i am very sorry if you took it offence to the caps. just what is a constructive critic? Without being offensive or rude, what happened to freedom of speech? I did not use profane language. I just wanted to talk about maybe getting dark knight removed thats all. Dont take anything out of context. I am just looking to talk to people who share my same interest, i was not trying to shout at anyone. It gets pretty boring talking to non-ethusiasts.
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/7/13 11:44:37 AM
more-velocity said:

i am not starting a fight with anyone, i am also a female, and and avid coaster enthusiasts, my apologies for saying dude. I was not yelling, i am very sorry if you took it offence to the caps. just what is a constructive critic? Without being offensive or rude, what happened to freedom of speech? I did not use profane language. I just wanted to talk about maybe getting dark knight removed thats all. Dont take anything out of context. I am just looking to talk to people who share my same interest, i was not trying to shout at anyone. It gets pretty boring talking to non-ethusiasts.

MUCH better! :-)
Constructive criticism is when someone criticizes you to help you become better at whatever it is you're doing.

Most of us on here agree with how you feel about both The Chiller and the Dark Knight, it's just that if you knew the extent of the problems Gadv had with that coaster there is no way they would ever work with Premier Rides on a linear induction coaster ever again. Another company, maybe, but it would have to be more than a one trick pony since they already have that in KK.

Have you been to this website? I think you'd like it:
http://greatadventurehistory.com/BandRTheChiller.htm

Click on the top to go to the homepage where you can look up the history of most rides and coaster that have been and are currently at the park.

Jen

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by more-velocity at 4/7/13 12:01:26 PM
Yes jennifer, this is donna, I have been going to six flags great adventure since it's inception. I have been around since lighting loops, their first arrow looping coaster, and scream machine. I just think they need to build another launch coaster. I am a very spoiled adrenaline junkie who needs more than kingda ka. Don't get me wrong KK is a freakin beast, very worthy on my list of top coasters, but we need another top launch little brother to go with it. No pun intended.
Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 4/7/13 12:14:28 PM
more-velocity said:

Yes jennifer, this is donna, I have been going to six flags great adventure since it's inception. I have been around since lighting loops, their first arrow looping coaster, and scream machine. I just think they need to build another launch coaster. I am a very spoiled adrenaline junkie who needs more than kingda ka. Don't get me wrong KK is a freakin beast, very worthy on my list of top coasters, but we need another top launch little brother to go with it. No pun intended.

Me too - I've been going since I was a baby the year it opened. I am a launch junkie as well - it's not that I don't want another launch coaster - I'd welcome it with open arms, believe me! I just don't think they'd do it. If you notice Gadv doesn't really have any similar coasters - they are all very unique when compared to each other. The only way I think they may add another launch would be if they went with a multiple launch Verbolten/Cheetah Hunt type but the launches on those are pretty weak. I want a dive coaster personally - if you've never been on Griffon (Busch Gardens Wiliamsburg) or Sheikra (Busch Gardens Tampa) you have to get there and ride one of them. Absolutely awesome! I think the park is also missing a good Huss frisbee (the Pendulum was decent but they moved it to SF Great America) or a drop tower (I miss Free Fall!). Hopefully we get something good next year without losing anything we care about.

Jen

Re: Hershey/ SF Great Adventure TR: Day #2 SF Great Adventure by alpengeistno3 at 4/7/13 6:37:29 PM
Hi Donna and welcome to the Board. Jen is right that you should temper your enthusiasm for the demolition of the Dark Knight. (ie, not posting it on every active thread). While we have freedom of speech, you do want to use that freedom "responsibly" if you want to get along with everyone here. Just like in life.

Plus, you'll make Joe mad again :)

Look forward to discussing further topics with you and maybe we'll see you in the parks.

Paul