Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Speaking of your Bucket List

Speaking of your Bucket List

RobLec RobLec Profile

Posted:
3/31/13 at
11:22:52 AM

When Mike B mentioned in his KBF thread that, while he enjoyed the park, he would likely never return, so it's off the bucket list. That got me thinking of where I have been (which is nothing noteworthy, certainly not worth maintaining a list) and where I am likely to be physically able to visit in the future... and got me curious of what others may have in the cards, when looking into the future, realistically.

Having grown up on an era when amusement parks were too numerous to even remember, I was indeed fortunate to have spent my childhood in places such as Old Orchard Beach and Indian Lake at Russell's Point. Then a wonderful man built a place named Disneyland... but alas, all I would ever see of it was what he would show us on television. Even later in my life, when visiting friends in California and they would ask "so what would you like to do while you're here" if I said go to Disneyland, they being locals would just say "nah, you don't want to go to Disneyland".

Most of the amusement parks disappeared and were replaced by far away theme parks which as an adult I had no interest in visiting. Then an amazing thing happened that changed my life. My wife and I had children. And while visiting my in-laws in Florida they suggested taking our boys to Busch Gardens... and I rediscovered amusement parks and became somewhat of an enthusiast.

Twenty years later now, and unfortunately somewhere along the line I lost the ability to tolerate any sort of spinning rides. An accident at work left me unable to stand for any length of time. And when I ride a coaster I at least consider the possibility of a cerebral vascular accident. Plus I've found that my own physical comfort is now more important than just about anything else. On our last visit to BGT we left midway thru the day and only rode half of what the park has to offer (of course, we knew we'd be back).

So this brings me back to the bucket list. It is most likely that anywhere I have not yet been I probably will never see. This includes just about anywhere in the west coast, as well as the northeast. Places I always wanted to visit but never have - or never will - includes Hershey park and Great Adventure. On the other hand, we have been able to discover - and make multiple visits to - such little gems as Waldameer and Indiana Beach, Holiday World, Dollywood, Carowinds. And I have finally spent so much time at Cedar Point and Disney World that I have little interest in going back.

We do still have plans. This year alone we will be returning to Dollywood and Universal Orlando, but it's unlikely we'll be doing any marathoning. And of course I am looking forward to spending time at King's Island, since this year I will not be working there. But no running from ride to ride, and probably lot more time sitting on benches. But when I think of most other parks, I think only of possibly eventually returning there with grandchildren. And yes, it's a wonderful life!

* This post was modified at 4/1/13 7:02:17 AM *

Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/1/13 6:24:36 PM
I highly recommend a visit to Hershey, Knoebels, Don't know if you've done Kennywood and Probably my favorite for classic feel and a lot to do.

Rye Playland.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 4/2/13 12:54:22 PM
Aw man, you should just get to Great Adventure once to experience the big three! Nothing to like, go all out on, but if you'd ever make the trip up here in the north east, Hershey and SFGAdv are both must visits. Hershey just has that...awesome feel to the park.

My bucket list is longggg but I'll give the short version. It's unofficial, meaning it's just in my head, but here are some highlights.

(coaster wise bucket list of course)

- Go to SFMM someday
- Ride X2
- Go to Port Aventura
- Ride every hyper coaster by B&M
- Go to Cedar Point (will be this year!)

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 4/2/13 4:20:03 PM
Being an East Coast guy myself, I'm sitting at 175 coasters for my personal count. So my bucket list is really about traveling about west and hitting the SF parks in TX/CA.

I want to hit Dollywood eventually, and get out to Bronson.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/2/13 4:48:00 PM
Great_Ump said:

Joe
Great_Ump

If you wanna go there, you must have a death wish ;)

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/2/13 5:09:28 PM
beastmaster said:

Great_Ump said:

Joe
Great_Ump

Why do you say that? and remember, he likes Holiday World.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/2/13 6:18:17 PM
CoasterFanatic said:

beastmaster said:

Great_Ump said:

Joe
Great_Ump

Why do you say that?

Because instead of "Branson" as in Branson, Missouri he said "Bronson" as in Charles Bronson who starred in the movie "Death Wish".

Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/2/13 9:49:07 PM
^^^Thanks for saving me time from going to wikipedia. I knew about Branson, MO, but not Bronson. Gotta love Mike's consistent witty sarcasm. :)
Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 4/2/13 11:14:27 PM
RobLec said:

Because instead of "Branson" as in Branson, Missouri he said "Bronson" as in Charles Bronson who starred in the movie "Death Wish".

Beat me to the punch. My fav was death wish 3, nothing like mayhem :)

Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 4/3/13 5:44:13 AM
Overbanked said:

^^^Thanks for saving me time from going to wikipedia. I knew about Branson, MO, but not Bronson. Gotta love Mike's consistent witty sarcasm. :)

Sarcasm wasn't my intention, just a light joke. But thanks for the compliment. I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitresses and ride operators.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by theRock-steel theRock-steel Profile at 4/3/13 6:26:47 AM
When I think of a "bucket list" I think of crazy stuff that old people do because they think that they are going to pass away soon. Long trips to Germany and Japan would be dreams for me.
As far as more practical trips that I have always thought of but have yet to do, there are three domestic ones. The first would involve San Francisco, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe. The second would be Denver, Salt Lake City, and a drive back through southern Wyoming. Lastly would be New England, eastern New York, and Quebec.
Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/3/13 9:29:52 PM
RobLec said:

When Mike B mentioned in his KBF thread that, while he enjoyed the park, he would likely never return, so it's off the bucket list.

I only just last week started thinking in terms of a bucket list of parks/coasters.
I realized, at 60 years of age, after riding the Giant Dipper in San Diego and visiting Knott's for the first time that I also have a good number of parks to visit, and by extension, many more coasters to ride, some that have been in existence a long time, while others continue to be built (or "transformed") as I write this.
And that's thinking of what is just in the good old US of A
(I've done Canada, and have never crossed the Atlantic).

Two other parks and the coasters therein that I will pluck from the bucket this year are SDC and Worlds of Fun, the first week in June.

Never say never (as to not returning to Knott's), but other parks I've yet to hit will take priority in my mind as time goes on and I get ever older. I hope to be able to continue riding in my retirement years (as long as physical and financial health allows) but I sure can wait for that time of my life (from now to then will occur in a blink of an eye, let me tell ya!).

Of course, the list of which I speak here is in just one bucket!
I have other buckets, don't/won't we all?
:-)

Mike B.
Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 4/3/13 10:42:05 PM
Yeah but your bucket is twice as deep :)
Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 4/3/13 11:24:02 PM
beastmaster said:

Sarcasm wasn't my intention, just a light joke. But thanks for the compliment. I'm here all week. Don't forget to tip your waitresses and ride operators.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't saying that the joke was a negative thing, but funny. That word sarcasm was probably a lil' to harsh; I should have said 'Gotta love Mike's consistent lighthearted humor' although that doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. :)

* This post was modified at 4/3/13 11:25:25 PM *

Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by LoneStar LoneStar Profile at 4/5/13 10:03:48 PM
One word, Rob - TEXAS!

- Pat-O

Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/6/13 10:22:07 PM
LoneStar said:

One word, Rob - TEXAS!

- Pat-O

That word goes for me, too.
Have yet to set foot in TX.

Mike B.
Re: I love springtime on URC by RobLec RobLec Profile at 4/6/13 11:13:50 PM
The board suddenly comes back to life with the parks opening.
Re: Speaking of your Bucket List by hersheyworker hersheyworker Profile at 4/6/13 11:35:52 PM
I hope to go to Cedar Point sometime soon (probably not this year).