Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13

My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
3/28/13 at
5:55:38 PM

I just had to share this. I went to GAdv today really to test the ankle with no scooter to see how I would do. I arrived at the park around 11:45am and saw them testing empty trains on KK when I pulled in so I headed straight there. I get on line with about a 3-4 train wait for the front. They launch an empty train and it rolls back. At least I finally saw a rollback. So they make their "down for maintenance" announcement and I figured I'd wait. Little by little everyone on line left except 2 girls that were also waiting for the front. We had such a blast with the ride ops - they were hysterical with us! We were even going back and forth with the maintenance guys - I was asking them why they broke KK and they said it's too damn cold and it doesn't want to launch! I figured I would wait some more since I'd be able to poach a few consecutive rides once it opened. Well, after about an hour total they start to launch again and it rolls back. We were begging to get on the train, LOL. Then the trains start going over (once I jumped over the railing to videotape it, naturally) but they tell us that they have to have the trains full before they can launch them - Strict orders for no more than 4 empty seats so we had to wait until people came up. We were begging the employees to jump in the seats and 2 of them said they would never even ride it! LMAO! We were busting them SO bad! We finally get on (they had 2 trains running) and despite our chants of "Rollback!" it wasn't to be. It was a very weak launch actually and I thought there was a chance but nope. We come back to the station and ride-op Johnny says to us (there are people at the gates now) "Blue train - wanna go again?" Hell Yeah! We go again. And again. And again! He said we were very loyal and dedicated KK riders and we deserved a reward for our wait. He kept letting the entire train go right through. We even had ride-op Joe singing the Greased Lightnin' song while doing the safety check! It was awesome. I never laughed so hard or had so much fun by myself in that park!

Other notes: ET still running only one train with 7-10 min between dispatches. First queue completely full - wasn't waiting. Medusa: blissful and silent. Nitro: Worst team EVER working it - still only 2 trains and taking them FOREVER to dispatch. What should have been a 10-15 min wait turned into 35 min. and that was because I pushed my way through and jumped on the end with a group of 3 or it would have been longer.

I take back what I initially said about the mirrors in the restrooms - only in the the one behind the gazebo. Bastards!

Ankle held up pretty well considering I did a lot more standing in line than I had thought I would. Light crowds though - about the same as it was when we went on Sunday but colder/windier.

Jen

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 3/28/13 11:16:26 PM
nice I was there this past Tuesday afternoon,

I arrived at Nitro around 11:30am and got 3 consecutive rides in the back seat, no problems there.

For kingda ka a decent crowd of around 40 ppl waiting in the station, at one point the line for the front seat was shorter than the others I guess people were that scared since I encountered many first timers there. They only had the green train running, they did have a 20min delay to attempt to bring out the dark blue train but looks like they had maintenance guys working on it all afternoon, you could see them working on it when on the launch track. I got about 4 rides in 2 hours time I went to the bathroom before and after riding, I didn't see any rollbacks while I was there.

There were kids that took off their shoes for batman and the ops delayed the train and told them to put their shoes back on! Otherwise batman ran really fast in the front seat!

* This post was modified at 3/28/13 11:21:49 PM *

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 3/29/13 7:54:00 PM
That is awesome!! Glad you had consecutive rides! Not getting off the train and going multiple times that quickly is RARE on KK! I'd love to do that! That would definitely be a test to what some people's heart could take haha.
- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 3/29/13 8:52:10 PM
Agreed! You are very lucky Jen, I envy you lol. As for people being able to handle a reride, I think if they can get over the initial shock of the first launch, they can handle the next launch with less anxiety :)
Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by rollercoastersfreak rollercoastersfreak Profile at 3/30/13 10:57:54 AM
When I went to Great Adventure back in September I got consecutive rides on KK but that was because I got platinum flash pass.

Brandon Carlson

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/30/13 11:09:54 PM
It really was awesome and worth every second I had to wait. Just kept moving us through - pausing to check restraints and we were off again. I've had consecutive rides before but not this many times without moving from my seat. I hope those guys are permanent ride-ops for the season there - I know they will at least let me poach empty seats without a problem. That will be a GREAT season if I can have special privileges at KK, LOL!

Jen

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by more-velocity at 4/7/13 10:06:25 AM
I am a rollercoaster enthusiast, six flags great adventure is only an hour and 20mins away from me. great adventure needs a 300 foot BM hyper coaster to kick NITRO in the ass. KINGDA KA IS JUST GODS GLORY TO LOOK AT, SO INTIMIDATING. ALL COASTER ENTHUSIASTS SHOULD REQUEST THE REMOVAL OF DARK KNIGHT AND REPLACE IT WITH A NEW LINEAR INDUCTION COASTER BY PREMIER RIDES!
Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 6/3/13 12:51:42 PM
Hey Jen has Kingda Ka ever started running at park opening time?

I was at Great Adventure last Wednesday and ka started running around the time you mentioned 11:45am.

I got to the entrance around 11am and there was a huge crowd of high school kids waiting and the attendant at the entrance told people waiting in line that the ride is closed and it drew many of them away. But I stuck around and waited and within 30min they started running the trains.

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/3/13 1:26:33 PM
ktujon said:

I was at Great Adventure last Wednesday and ka started running around the time you mentioned 11:45am.

I got to the entrance around 11am and there was a huge crowd of high school kids waiting and the attendant at the entrance told people waiting in line that the ride is closed and it drew many of them away. But I stuck around and waited and within 30min they started running the trains.

Yes - usually KK is up with the park opening for most of the season. If it gets cold overnight or it is cold out it messes with the sensors and the train rolls back a lot so they start it a bit later to avoid those problems early in the season. I have seen them open KK late occasionally throughout the years and I don't know why. Perhaps it's lack of staffing while school is still in session? I haven't been there since Mother's Day and we went to the other side of the park first but I do think it was already testing when we came in if I remember correctly. That was also on a weekend when staffing wouldn't be an issue. I'll be going during the week soon to check out the safari so I'll see if he's up on time. If not I'll see if my guys are working and try and find out the reasoning behind the late openings. I'm curious myself.

Jen

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by alpengeistno3 at 6/3/13 7:16:33 PM
GoYanks34 said:

If not I'll see if my guys are working and try and find out the reasoning behind the late openings. I'm curious myself.

Jen

I think it is a pretty well-known fact around here that coasters do not perform their best in the morning cold. The reason is the viscosity of the grease in the wheels is not as good until the ride has been running continuously for a couple hours.

We also know that Intamins, in particular, seem prone to rollbacks/valleys in colder weather. (refer to Cedar Point opening week TRs) It is possible that Gradv has given up on trying to get KK running earlier in the morning since the nature of the ride makes it even more prone to rollbacks.

Paul

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/3/13 8:10:55 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

If not I'll see if my guys are working and try and find out the reasoning behind the late openings. I'm curious myself.

Jen

I think it is a pretty well-known fact around here that coasters do not perform their best in the morning cold. The reason is the viscosity of the grease in the wheels is not as good until the ride has been running continuously for a couple hours.

We also know that Intamins, in particular, seem prone to rollbacks/valleys in colder weather. (refer to Cedar Point opening week TRs) It is possible that Gradv has given up on trying to get KK running earlier in the morning since the nature of the ride makes it even more prone to rollbacks.

Paul

I figured as much but it's been pretty warm here the last 2 weeks so I'm not so sure that's the answer this time (was definitely the reason in the beginning of the season). That also depends if ktujon meant this past Wed (which went down to 52 F the night before) or the Wed before that 5/22 (low of 67F the night before). This past Wed I'm pretty sure the weather was crappy/rainy the previous few days as well so I'm thinking the 22nd, which wouldn't make sense with the temp. theory.

Another interesting fact that I'll have in my CP report as soon as I finish it is the wind meter on top of the top hat can be dramatically different than what you feel on the ground. At TTD it has to be below 35 MPH or they are not allowed to launch and there was barely a breeze on the ground so that can also contribute to it not operating at times. I know KK has a 35 mph threshold as well but I thought someone once the wind direction also played a part in determining if it can launch or not.

Or perhaps KK just likes to sleep in like me! :-)

Jen

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by alpengeistno3 at 6/3/13 8:17:31 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Jen

You two are a match made in heaven :)

Paul

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/3/13 9:06:47 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

You two are a match made in heaven :)

Paul

LOL - LOVE my green king! :-)

Jen

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 6/3/13 10:01:22 PM
Yes it rained all day last Tuesday, I knew some people that were at Great Adventure that had a great time riding in the rain w/o ka running of course.

I also stopped by Allentown that day to visit someone and drove by Dorney and noticed alot of the coasters running in the rain! (Steel Force, Talon, and Stinger I think)

But on Wednesday the weather was pretty hot in the upper 80's with the sun blazing down. While riding the skyway I felt the strong breeze up there and definitely did not feel it at all while walking on the ground level.

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/3/13 10:14:06 PM
ktujon said:

Yes it rained all day last Tuesday, I knew some people that were at Great Adventure that had a great time riding in the rain w/o ka running of course.

I also stopped by Allentown that day to visit someone and drove by Dorney and noticed alot of the coasters running in the rain! (Steel Force, Talon, and Stinger I think)

But on Wednesday the weather was pretty hot in the upper 80's with the sun blazing down. While riding the skyway I felt the strong breeze up there and definitely did not feel it at all while walking on the ground level.

So if it was this past Wed then the temps the night before actually got pretty low so I bet that was the reason after all. The winds probably didn't help.

We had a similar experience on the Ferris Wheel on Mother's Day as you did on the sky ride - It was windy and FREEZING on top (I kept asking for a blanket) but fine on the ground. Very weird.

Oh, so Dorney DOES run things in the rain when I'm not there. They are still SO dead to me. Bastards! :-P

Jen

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by alpengeistno3 at 6/3/13 10:19:06 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Oh, so Dorney DOES run things in the rain when I'm not there. They are still SO dead to me. Bastards! :-P

Jen

I had the PERFECT link for you. A yahoo article that named the "5 best values in Theme Parks". #2 was Dorney. I'm sure you would love to know that :)

Paul

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/3/13 11:00:27 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

GoYanks34 said:

Jen

I had the PERFECT link for you. A yahoo article that named the "5 best values in Theme Parks". #2 was Dorney. I'm sure you would love to know that :)

Paul

Best value if they had free parking and charged $1 to get in maybe....

Jen

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by alpengeistno3 at 6/4/13 12:23:24 AM
While I was surprised to see Dorney mentioned in a "national" article, it did have a heavy Cedar Fair bias. Knott's, Cedar Point, and Dorney, 3 of the 5 best park values?!? (and I think the other two were non-gated parks like Coney.) Someone must have bought a Cedar Fair pass and decided to write an article, lol!!

Paul

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 6/4/13 5:34:11 AM
I saw that article, Paul. They used the term "value" very loosely. I don't consider Luna much of a value. For I believe, $29, you get a wristband, valid for only four hours, that gives you unlimited rides on most flats and a quite decent spinny mouse(the Tickler.) It doesn't include the Cyclone, Steeplechase, or the God-awful Zamperla Volare flyer.

The only reason I bought it last year was because I got it much cheaper from Amazon Local and it included a ride each on those three latter-named rides. So which one did I enjoy most? Steeplechase. But I actually liked the Tickler better than any of them..what a fun ride!

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/7/13 3:14:31 PM
ktujon said:

Took this for you when I was entering the parking lot at 10:00 am yesterday:

They were already testing KK and it was actually the first coaster I went on. I was launched approximately 10:35 - 10:40 am.

Jen

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 6/7/13 11:10:29 PM
nice then the early entry for premium pass holders is worth it!
Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 6/7/13 11:16:58 PM
ktujon said:

nice then the early entry for premium pass holders is worth it!

Absolutely - if I went straight there instead of trying the safari first I'd probably have gotten a few consecutive launches. I went to El Toro next and rode twice in a row without moving in the last row. I probably could've poached another row after that but I wanted to go to Medusa and then get to the safari (which was a total bust) and ET was running a bit rougher than normal.

It definitely gives you a jump start, even if it's only 10 minutes. The only problem is you have to have a Premium pass and you can't bring any guest without one through so it only works if you go alone or you have another premium pass holder with you.

Jen

Re: My Kingda Ka Experience Today 3-28-13 by ktujon ktujon Profile at 6/9/13 12:52:30 AM
Actually I used my bring a friend coupon and they let him through with me early, I guess they weren't supposed to do that, but the person at the gate mistakenly thought I was using a discount coupon instead and sent me to the ticket booth.