Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 2013 IX Indoor Amusement Park (w/video)

2013 IX Indoor Amusement Park (w/video)

ray_p ray_p Profile

Posted:
3/24/13 at
4:13:01 PM

The 24th Annual IX Indoor "Amusement Park" kicked off this past Friday in Cleveland, OH and runs through April 14th. The usual lineup of carnie rides are present along with a "zipline" attraction and the return of the portable log flume. There were a lot of down rides on Opening Day (the Crazy Mouse coaster was testing from 3:00 to after 5:00 pm) and the lack of a crowd made shooting video of all the rides rather tough.

In any case, if anyone's interested, here's the 2013 video, shot almost entirely on my iPhone. I was curious to see the results.

Re: 2013 IX Indoor Amusement Park (w/video) by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/25/13 9:12:04 AM
Some nice looking rides there. I wish the carnival that came around our town each year would take care of their rides the same way those are taken care of. Love how they do all of that indoors- and how close the fit is on some of those rides.
Re: 2013 IX Indoor Amusement Park (w/video) by drachen drachen Profile at 3/25/13 9:32:42 AM
That's actually very impressive. I had no idea such a place existed - and it's only a temporary thing? I would think in Cleveland, a year-round facility like that would be successful.

I can't believe how many rides there are under one roof. That's got to be a lot of work to put together.

With all of those lights, they should just turn the house-lights off - for more of a night time experience.

Great video.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: 2013 IX Indoor Amusement Park (w/video) by ray_p ray_p Profile at 3/25/13 11:37:18 AM
I was actually surprised by the condition of some of the rides this year as it seemed like many of them got a nice overhaul and some new lighting. Bates Amusements and North American Midways split the ride duties each year.

Drachen, you mentioned that you can’t believe how many rides are under one roof. Well, it’s actually quite sparse these days compared to the event’s heyday back in the early to mid-90’s. The entire building was used, there wasn’t a lot of space between rides, and there were even multiples of certain rides like YoYo’s, Century Wheels, Round Ups, etc. The IX Carnival has seen many unique rides over the years as well- a Larson Hi Roller, a Tivoli Force 10, the North American debut of a Soriani Top Spin, a Pinfari Looping Coaster (ouch) and many more. Honestly, if you ever attended one of those events and then walked in to the 2013 version, you’d probably ask “what happened to all the rides?”

Regardless, it is a Cleveland tradition and since it is in its 24th year, I think it’s safe to say that they are doing a good business.

Thanks for the comments and glad you enjoyed the video.

Re: 2013 IX Indoor Amusement Park (w/video) by Coaster316 at 3/25/13 7:14:17 PM
Great video, as usual, Ray.

Vertigo looked awesome as does the flume. The G-Force looked pretty lame. And seeing the crazy mouse, even without people, made me want to get to one this summer. Maybe I'll end up at DelGrossos some time.

I was surprised from the ferris wheel shots how little they seemed to have. I know you mentioned there is a lot less since the heyday, but are there considerably less attractions than even when I used to go a few years back or did it just look that way?

I think the video quality itself was good, as well, since you mentioned taking it all with the iphone.

Thanks for posting.

Jeff

Re: 2013 IX Indoor Amusement Park (w/video) by ray_p ray_p Profile at 3/25/13 8:32:51 PM
Coaster316 said:

I was surprised from the ferris wheel shots how little they seemed to have. I know you mentioned there is a lot less since the heyday, but are there considerably less attractions than even when I used to go a few years back or did it just look that way?

Yes Jeff, there are considerably fewer rides than just a few years ago. There is a LOT of empty space on the IX Center floor. Considering both ride companies have many more rides in their arsenal, I'm surprised they don't bring more.

I should mention that I did not get the KMG Freak Out, the Tilt A Whirl, the Scooter and the Cliff Hanger on my video as those were all in attendance as well. The Cliff Hanger was being worked on though.

I think the video quality itself was good, as well, since you mentioned taking it all with the iphone.

I too was quite impressed with the iPhone video quality. I'm also impressed with the image stability as I tend to be a bit shaky when I film.

Thanks for the comments. Now, back to watching Fannnn-dannnnn-goooooo beating up Chris Jericho. Love the "you can't wrestle" chants!