Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Worst Cookie Cutter Coaster Design

Worst Cookie Cutter Coaster Design

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
3/18/13 at
2:45:35 AM

I was looking at rcdb, and noticed the old Schwarzkopf Katapult katastrophes that are no longer in operation. I've never ridden it, but it obviously had to be very unreliable. Here's a pic below of this coasters very 'intricate' layout below, along with a POV.

www.rcdb.com/3429.htm?p=16762

www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm1cM_kUEJA

I haven't ridden any unique old archaic dinosaurs that are worthy enough to be deemed 'worst design' so I'm just putting some old ones out there. The old Intamin Space Divers didn't last too long.

www.rcdb.com/126.htm?p=21118

Or how bout Mike's (beastmaster) personal favorite, the old Chance Toboggan LOL JK Mike.

www.rcdb.com/247.htm?p=327

Oh wait, I forgot I've ridden the Hurler coasters, and that's definitely a poor design.

www.rcdb.com/85.htm?p=7279

So what's the worst coaster with a cookie cutter design that you're experienced?

* This post was modified at 3/18/13 3:19:49 AM *

Re: Worst Cookie Cutter Coaster Design by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/18/13 5:44:46 AM
Big difference, Chris, between the Toboggan and cookie cutters:

I LIKE cookies.

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Worst Cookie Cutter Coaster Design by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/18/13 12:25:32 PM
Overbanked said:

I was looking at rcdb, and noticed the old Schwarzkopf Katapult katastrophes that are no longer in operation.

www.rcdb.com/3429.htm?p=16762

Not sure that there was more than one, and it didn't just get moved around. I don't know anyone that's been on one, but based on most of the other Schwarzkopf coasters I'll bet that this was far better then you might be thinking. I haven't been on a bad Schwarzkopf yet.

The old Intamin Space Divers didn't last too long.

www.rcdb.com/126.htm?p=21118

There was only one of them, and it was moved around a bit. I'm pretty sure that this was actually one of B&M's first designs when they were still with Intamin- it has all the marks of it and the timing is right- though they never admitted it, and for good reason. It was horrible. It also happened to be part of Six Flags rotation program at the time which is why it shows up in more than one location. Easily one of the top 5 worst coasters I've ever been on.

Or how bout Mike's (beastmaster) personal favorite, the old Chance Toboggan LOL JK Mike.

www.rcdb.com/247.htm?p=327

Agreed, they are pretty bad. Nothing but pain and discomfort.

The other I might add in there would be the Vekoma hang and bangs. Tried several, all but one were pretty bad and painful- and that one I'm sure the park worked overtime to make it smooth. One of them- T2 at SFKK- vied for my worst top 5.

I know others might complain about the Vekoma boomerangs, though I enjoyed most of those.

Re: Worst Cookie Cutter Coaster Design by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 3/18/13 12:30:26 PM
That first one looks interesting. I dunno, it doesn't look that bad, I guess if a park was desperate for something to fit in a small footprint, it might be better than just adding another wild mouse.
The toboggan, I would've liked to have rode it when I was younger, I don't think I'd want to ride it now, looks uncomfortable.
Hurler, lol just demolish them.
Re: Worst Cookie Cutter Coaster Design by ray_p ray_p Profile at 3/18/13 12:44:50 PM
I have to agree with the Chance Toboggan as being one of the worst coaster designs of all time. Seriously, whoever thought it would be fun to lock you inside a small prison cell and then realign your spine on the rides “main drop” deserves to be thrown off a cliff. I have only been on Conneaut Lake’s SBNO model and it was truly awful. I may be a credit whore, but I won’t be adding any more Toboggans to my list if I ever see one.

My other vote for worst design goes to the Zamperla Volare. Cool concept, horrible execution. The battering your body takes as the suspended carriages spiral through turns and inversions is pretty severe. Again, I have only been on one (Time Warp at Canada’s Wonderland)… and I will definitely not be trying any others!

Re: Worst Cookie Cutter Coaster Design by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/18/13 12:46:13 PM
SirWillow said:

Not sure that there was more than one, and it didn't just get moved around.

My bad, you're right. Katapult was moved so many times all over the world (eight locations) that I assumed there had to be atleast one facsimile. Talk about an epic waste of transport money LOL.

* This post was modified at 3/18/13 4:13:34 PM *

Re: Worst Cookie Cutter Coaster Design by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 3/23/13 2:21:43 PM
ray_p said:

I have to agree with the Chance Toboggan as being one of the worst coaster designs of all time. Seriously, whoever thought it would be fun to lock you inside a small prison cell and then realign your spine on the rides “main drop” deserves to be thrown off a cliff. I have only been on Conneaut Lake’s SBNO model and it was truly awful. I may be a credit whore, but I won’t be adding any more Toboggans to my list if I ever see one.

I only ever rode the Tobaggan at Trimpers in OC MD and from what I remember their model wasn't bad until you hit the bunny hops at the end. They added so much additional padding which prevented taller people like myself from moving on the hops for the "airtime" moments. You're body wanted to float but the padding was so excessive, you wouldn't, and that was really painful. It was like a medieval torture device.

As far as cookie cutter layouts go, I think B&M is the most notorious cookie cutter. Loop, dive loop, zero g/barrel roll, cobra roll, MCBR, double locking corkscrews, some kind of tight twisty element comprable to a helix and final brakes.

Joe
Great_Ump