Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Flying Turns just wondering...

Flying Turns just wondering...

Patripman Patripman Profile

Posted:
3/15/13 at
9:19:30 PM

Looking at my calendar I see it will be 2013 and after 6.5 years of building the worlds largest lawn ornament the question is, will this "thing" ever open and will PPP 2020 attendees be in line sitting in wheelchairs? Jersey Joe will be a great granddad, Ed will be in a nursing home and Sparky's daughter will be in high school. You want to talk about a waste of money, I bet there are some kicking themselves real hard over the lost revenue that space could of generated.

Patripman

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by NotSo NotSo Profile at 3/15/13 11:48:34 PM
Patripman said:

Looking at my calendar I see it will be 2013 and after 6.5 years of building the worlds largest lawn ornament the question is, will this "thing" ever open and will PPP 2020 attendees be in line sitting in wheelchairs? Jersey Joe will be a great granddad, Ed will be in a nursing home and Sparky's daughter will be in high school. You want to talk about a waste of money, I bet there are some kicking themselves real hard over the lost revenue that space could of generated.


Patripman

What a waste, too bad, i would have liked to try it but probably never will.

6 1/2 years? They just built Gatekeeper in 4 months, and it will pay for itself in way less than 6 1/2 years!

Knoebels looks really dumb lately..

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 3/16/13 3:01:28 AM
I know Knoebels has asked a ton of people for help with the trains, but have they asked the people who actually build bobsled coasters recently?

B&M designed great cars for an Intamin bobsled all the way back in 1990. Intamin designed Bobsled coasters in the mid 80's. Mack built a lot of flying turns style bobsled coasters from 1985 to 2001.

Knoebels should have gone to them already and hear their opinion. If they tell you it can't work, then just write the thing off and start fresh.

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 3/16/13 9:24:44 PM
They could sell it to some Arab sheik as the wooden sculpture it is. Or perhaps bill it as a "crazy bowling lane" or sell it to Kim Jong Un
as an un-coaster, which it certainly is.
Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 3/17/13 1:22:34 PM
Patripman said:

Looking at my calendar I see it will be 2013 and after 6.5 years of building the worlds largest lawn ornament the question is, will this "thing" ever open and will PPP 2020 attendees be in line sitting in wheelchairs? Jersey Joe will be a great granddad, Ed will be in a nursing home and Sparky's daughter will be in high school. You want to talk about a waste of money, I bet there are some kicking themselves real hard over the lost revenue that space could of generated.


Patripman

I see no lack of property Knoebels could use to generate revinue.

The ride was a attempt to reconstruct the experience that Dick Knoebel and others had experienced of a REAL WOODEN FLYING TURNS.

You have to realize that ride restrictions and stuff aren't the same as they were back then and they either still are or have given up trying.

I know Dick Knoebels rode it and a few others but Im told just when they think all the bugs are worked out and several hundred test are complete, Something happens, You don't open the ride if something is happening.

They hoped it would work, maybe still do. IDK but I don''t know that the ride ever was promised to open to the public although they wanted and intended too.

Looking at old videos of the old Flying turns, Im not so sure the wing wasn't used as a anti tip feature. I wonder if the Disaster Transport cars still exist. Wonder if they'd work on it?

Anyway, I signed up to do PPP 2025 of Facebook events so maybe it will be running then :)

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Flying Turns just wondering... Photo by Absimilliard Absimilliard Profile at 3/18/13 12:51:57 AM
Good idea with the Disaster Transport cars, but I think they are too long, due to the 5 rows of seating. Maybe they can ask Intamin to design them a prototype based on those cars? They are shorter and are capable of doing some sharp turns and transitions on the Intamin bobsled coaster. Here is a back of them showing the interesting mechanics.

http://cache.rcdb.com/b53g70o000i7e529prgpd6.jpg

User Submitted Picture
Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by alpengeistno3 at 3/19/13 1:26:39 AM
I don't know how many you have actually ridden a flying turns. I haven't, but I have seen video. The ride does not appear to perform as predictably as the Intamin/Mack bobsleds of recency.

While it seems like an easy fix to just drop one of Disaster Transport's shuttles on the ride and call it a day, those units are probably too heavy for the wooden structure in the long run. A lighter train is more likely to tip in the higher speed/tighter transitions of the layout.

So, that is where I believe Knoebel's conundrum is...trying to get a heavy enough train to perform reasonably the same without incident in a variety of weighted circumstances (because even though the modern bobsleds claim to be "different" each ride, the tread marks that deviate very little from the path tell a different tale.) and trying to keep said train from destroying the structure as it barrels through there for 10- 12 hrs a day.

Paul

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 3/19/13 8:35:58 AM
I wonder, could CP have just taken down DT and sold it off to another park than to just scrap it? Seems like all this could've been solved by just taking a 2nd hand bobsled coaster.
I admire the idea to replicate a ride from the past, but it seems more of a hassle than its worth.
Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by ktujon ktujon Profile at 3/19/13 1:11:39 PM
agreed! I liked disaster transport better than avalanche at kings dominion
Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 3/19/13 2:10:07 PM
ktujon said:

agreed! I liked disaster transport better than avalanche at kings dominion

Ii sure as heck didn't Avalanche rocks, DT was a kiddy coaster with a theme.

Or the only coaster you could ride on a rainy day unless their policy has changed. I two a two day trip there in the late 80s and that was the only coaster that ran after noon of both days due to persistent but light rains.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by ktujon ktujon Profile at 3/19/13 3:38:22 PM
Maybe since DT is pitch black (alot darker than FoF I can see the tracks on that) is what made it good to me, I'm sure riding that in broad daylight may feel like a kiddie coaster...
Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by alpengeistno3 at 3/19/13 8:51:52 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

I wonder, could CP have just taken down DT and sold it off to another park than to just scrap it? Seems like all this could've been solved by just taking a 2nd hand bobsled coaster.
I admire the idea to replicate a ride from the past, but it seems more of a hassle than its worth.

Not Knoebels!! They did not want a bobsled. They wanted a flying turns, in as much of a traditional sense as their space would allow them to build (they had to do something funky with the lift in order to get it high enough, didn't they). Sure they could have contacted Intamin, Mack or even Cedar Point for steel one, but that is not what they wanted. They wanted a traditional, WOODEN flying turns and none of those companies could provide that.

I can't imagine that they imagined the ride would be on hold this long because of the rolling stock, but I think Dick would rather have not considered doing it at all before he put in an Intamin/Mack version. The bobsleds are VERY different rides.

Paul

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 3/20/13 1:25:25 AM
I stand corrected, thanks.
Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/20/13 10:08:51 PM
Mikey_Mad said:

Or perhaps bill it as a "crazy bowling lane" or sell it to Kim Jong Un as an un-coaster, which it certainly is.

Of course we would need our distinguished diplomat, one Sir Dennis Rodman to secure that deal. LOL

Seriously, is this thing gonna ever open? I tried to hold out, but this year I'm going to Pennsylvania regardless, whether Flying Turns is ready or not.

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by Jersey_Joe Jersey_Joe Profile at 4/6/13 5:24:37 PM
Jersey Joe will be a great granddad? I resemble that comment! lol

Yeah, when the heck are they going to get this coaster open? I have to get back to Knoebels this year. Want to ride the old Golden Nugget, or as my daughter, who was nearly 7 at the time called it, "Chicken Nugget". What's it called now? Black Diamond?

I'll keep you posted when we plan a visit. Need to drop a lot more weight but post bariatric surgery it's coming off fast! Hoping to definitely do PPP!

Jersey Joe

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by MABrider MABrider Profile at 4/6/13 10:19:14 PM
It's that Joe guy again...
Mike B.
Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 6/29/13 2:00:27 AM
The Flying Turns has been doing some recent testing. Could it be ready to ride as early as this year? Fingers crossed.

www.allamericanthrills.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=765&p=6422#p6422

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by angielovescoasters at 10/5/13 12:45:39 PM
I cannot believe all of the negative posts. Has anyone taken into consideration that Knoebel's has endured massive floods at least twice since the inception of this coaster, which wiped out most of the park? I commend Knoebel's for continuing this project and not scrapping it, as most would. They provide fantastic thrill rides and a family environment that you cannot get at other parks. I live right beside Hershey Park and grew up about a mile from Walt Disney World, and these parks (and other big name parks like these) have such a commercial feel to them. Knoebel's is a wonderful park, and I cannot wait to ride Flying Turns!!
Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by Patripman Patripman Profile at 10/5/13 1:42:23 PM
angielovescoasters said:

I cannot believe all of the negative posts. Has anyone taken into consideration that Knoebel's has endured massive floods at least twice since the inception of this coaster, which wiped out most of the park? I commend Knoebel's for continuing this project and not scrapping it, as most would. They provide fantastic thrill rides and a family environment that you cannot get at other parks. I live right beside Hershey Park and grew up about a mile from Walt Disney World, and these parks (and other big name parks like these) have such a commercial feel to them. Knoebel's is a wonderful park, and I cannot wait to ride Flying Turns!!

I hope you realize your barking up the wrong tree. I along with others here have been going to Knoebels since the early 1990's and I probably spent more time and money there than you would ever come close to so when you read negative things about Flying Turns it is some opinions that the park bit off more than they could chew, a 7 year chew. You want my honest opinion, seriously, there are some who work for the park who wanted this for personal reasons and not for the park, just look at Twister. So my question to you is why does Twister have no lines and I mean even during a very busy PPP event? Other than the opening year the ride has not produced ridership, Why?

Patripman

Patripman

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by depotrat at 10/5/13 2:09:54 PM
Well since Dick owns the park I guess only one opinion counts. If he wanted to build this it was his money and time and I don't see why anyone should complain.

It opened yesterday to rave reviews. Congrats to Dick and his family for staying the course and I can't wait to ride. Those of you that thought it was a bad idea, stay out of the line so I can ride more.

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by angielovescoasters at 10/5/13 3:44:15 PM
Patripman said:

angielovescoasters said:

I cannot believe all of the negative posts. Has anyone taken into consideration that Knoebel's has endured massive floods at least twice since the inception of this coaster, which wiped out most of the park? I commend Knoebel's for continuing this project and not scrapping it, as most would. They provide fantastic thrill rides and a family environment that you cannot get at other parks. I live right beside Hershey Park and grew up about a mile from Walt Disney World, and these parks (and other big name parks like these) have such a commercial feel to them. Knoebel's is a wonderful park, and I cannot wait to ride Flying Turns!!

I hope you realize your barking up the wrong tree. I along with others here have been going to Knoebels since the early 1990's and I probably spent more time and money there than you would ever come close to so when you read negative things about Flying Turns it is some opinions that the park bit off more than they could chew, a 7 year chew. You want my honest opinion, seriously, there are some who work for the park who wanted this for personal reasons and not for the park, just look at Twister. So my question to you is why does Twister have no lines and I mean even during a very busy PPP event? Other than the opening year the ride has not produced ridership, Why?

Patripman

Patripman


I have been going to Knoebel's since the early 70's, and my family has also spent a considerable amount of time and money at that park. I am not saying there were not "other" agenda's at work for some, but my point was that Knoebel's had to start over and rebuild from scratch at least twice. So, that being said, I would much rather wait almost 7 years to ride a coaster that was built with the safety of the riders in mind, rather than one that was slapped together to please the masses. If you are not a fan of this ride then it is just less time that those of us who DO like it have to wait in line.

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by ray_p ray_p Profile at 10/5/13 7:15:55 PM
Twister > Phoenix. :)

Cannot wait to ride Flying Turns next year. Was at Cedar Point today thinking I'd rather be in Elysburg!

Re: Flying Turns just wondering... by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 10/5/13 8:15:57 PM
ray_p said:

Twister > Phoenix. :)


Cannot wait to ride Flying Turns next year. Was at Cedar Point today thinking I'd rather be in Elysburg!

I was at GrAdv today and I would not say I was thinking the same thing. 13 rides on Nitro without leaving the station kinda shoves FT (which I AM looking forward to riding) to the back burner of my mind.

However, Ray, I am 100% in agreement with the first part of your post.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...