Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up

My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up

MABrider MABrider Profile

Posted:
3/14/13 at
9:24:06 AM

I will be going to Knott's on Wed March 27.
I've never been.
With me will be my wife and daughter (26 yrs old as point of ref).
Wife does not ride coasters (benign kiddies possible), daughter rides everything.

I know it is spring break week in that area of CA (curses! two years ago for that same exact week it was not spring break, and SFMM was dead for my first time visit there).

I have the CF platinum pass out of Dorney, so I will by purchasing two admissions online.
I'm thinking "the worst" and will likely add two Fast Lanes to that as I want to reduce my wife's wait time while my daughter and I go off on coasters.

We will arrive well before park opening.
I already "know" to head to Xcelerator right off...it is not on the Fast Lane.
It's annoying that the Knott's site does not list what 10 rides are on the Fast Lane...you need to click on rides to see if they are included on Fast Lane. Which I have done (5 coasters).
-----------

So, after all that blather above, any general insider tips would be appreciated.

Like Fast Lane, is it better to maybe wait and buy at the park if maybe/perhaps the crowds won't be exceedingly high (he says hopefully)?
Where is the Fast Lane counter in the park?

Mike B.
Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by ray_p ray_p Profile at 3/14/13 11:38:09 AM
Hope you have fun Mike! All I can add is that the Timber Mountain Log Ride is down through May (bummer) and that Windseeker may still be down as well as they work on that new evacuation system. I have changed my plans and will now be heading to the Anaheim area in April. Not sure if I want to hit Knott’s or SFMM. I’m definitely leaning towards Knott’s though since I don’t really feel like driving up to Valencia.

Regardless, sorry I couldn’t be of assistance… perhaps I can hit you up for Knott’s advice before I leave!

Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/14/13 5:25:29 PM
ray_p said:

Hope you have fun Mike! All I can add is that the Timber Mountain Log Ride is down through May (bummer) and that Windseeker may still be down as well as they work on that new evacuation system. I have changed my plans and will now be heading to the Anaheim area in April. Not sure if I want to hit Knott’s or SFMM. I’m definitely leaning towards Knott’s though since I don’t really feel like driving up to Valencia.

Regardless, sorry I couldn’t be of assistance… perhaps I can hit you up for Knott’s advice before I leave!

Ray,
During my "research" of Knott's I was intrigued by the "historic" aspect of Timber Mountain Log ride and found myself thinking I'd like to ride it, but only after I viewed it running to see if it is a "soaker" (not too big on getting soaked anymore). Then I discovered I won't even be able to view it running, never mind riding it. Oh, well.

I've been on one Windseeker (Canada's Wonderland), and while I won't say "been on one, you've been on them all" (especially since the view is different for each), I won't miss it being down. Didn't take long for that novelty to wear off. They aren't worth lengthy waits, IMO.

If you go on a weekday in April, I'm sure the park will be less crowded. That's why they close at 6 PM those days, vs closing at 10 PM for two weeks beginning the week I am there.

I have my fingers crossed that come 4-5PM on my visit I will be ready and willing to leave, having done all I want to do (with multiple rides on more than a few rides). I know you and other readers know what I mean by that.

* This post was modified at 3/14/13 10:26:18 PM *

Mike B.
Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by ray_p ray_p Profile at 3/14/13 6:33:15 PM
Agreed about Windseeker Mike. I love the rides as the view is incredible, but it won't be a disappointment to me if its down at Knotts.

I rode Timber Mountain once back on my lone visit to Knotts in 1988 and loved it. If i would have stuck to my September schedule, I could have ridden it again with its new look. I officially booked my trip for April 30 through May 4. I am hoping for lesser crowds at Knotts and especially Disneyland.

If you want to try a classic Knotts ride, be sure to ride the Calico Mine Ride. I recall that dark ride being quite unique and even mildly thrilling. Definitely a must see.

Again, enjoy your trip Mike. :)

Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by drachen drachen Profile at 3/14/13 6:55:38 PM
Have fun, Mike. As always, I'd love to hear what you think of Knott's once you get back.

I'm no Knott's expert, but I've been there twice. Might I suggest:

Musts

Xcelerator - multiple rides if possible. I think it's one of the more underrated rides, and one of Intamin's better efforts. It's my favorite launched coaster.

Ghost Rider - back seat. I haven't ridden it since 2005. It was still very good back then. I've heard bad things now. Either way, I thought the back of the train was the best.

Montezuma's Revenge - front and back. Any time a Schwarzkopf shuttle is operating, it needs to be ridden. The back spike in the back seat is golden.

Silver Bullet - a pretty unique B&M invert. It's a great ride that isn't talked about too much.

Calico Mine Ride - one of my favorite rides in the park. One of the better dark rides I've ridden. It's got classic written all over it.

Timber Mountain Log Ride - I'm sorry you're going to miss out on it. It's the most entertaining log flume I've ever experienced.

Jaguar - It's a pretty good, long ride - and pretty fun. Threading the needle through Montezuma's loop makes riding this coaster worth your time alone.

Supreme Scream - it's the ultimate S&S Turbo drop.

If Xcelerator really isn't on the Fast Lane program, definitely go there first. Typically, I would have headed to Ghost Rider first. I imagine most of Knott's early riders head to Silver Bullet first. Since that ride is on the Fast Lane, leave it go until later.

Do the low capacity rides first - there are a couple of those at this park.

Have fun. There is an outside chance I get to Southern California at some point this year. If I go, I'm going to try to hold off until after Magic Mountain opens Full Throttle. I'm very intrigued by that ride.

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/15/13 8:22:38 AM
drachen:
Your comments are duly noted, thanks!

Is Calico Mine Ride considered a low capacity ride?

I ask because it is the only non-coaster and non-thrill ride on Fast Lane, and I know my thrill ride phobic wife can ride it. So we would probalby be in the regular queue.

Here is the list of the ten Fast Lane rides (five coasters):
GhostRider
Jaguar
Pony Express
Sierra Sidewinder
Silver Bullet

Calico Mine Ride
Supreme Scream
La Revolucion
Rip Tide
Big Foot Rapids

Mike B.
Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by drachen drachen Profile at 3/15/13 11:57:04 AM
MABrider said:

drachen:
Your comments are duly noted, thanks!

Is Calico Mine Ride considered a low capacity ride?

I ask because it is the only non-coaster and non-thrill ride on Fast Lane, and I know my thrill ride phobic wife can ride it. So we would probalby be in the regular queue.

Here is the list of the ten Fast Lane rides (five coasters):
GhostRider
Jaguar
Pony Express
Sierra Sidewinder
Silver Bullet

Calico Mine Ride
Supreme Scream
La Revolucion
Rip Tide
Big Foot Rapids

No problem, glad to help. I would list the following as low capacity rides:

Calico Mine Ride
Supreme Scream (3 turbo drop towers - pretty slow)
Boomerang
Montezuma's Revenge
Windseeker

So long as Xcelerator, Silver Bullet, Jaguar, and Pony Express are running two trains, the lines should move decently well.

Also, take a spin on the train. I remember being surprised to see such a large train in such a relatively small park.

If there are only 10 rides on the Fast Lane, I don't know if I would even buy it, to be honest. But I understand your reasoning behind it.

* This post was modified at 3/15/13 11:57:42 AM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by Mikey_Mad Mikey_Mad Profile at 3/16/13 9:27:01 PM
Save room for the chicken dinner.
Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/16/13 10:24:13 PM
Mikey_Mad said:

Save room for the chicken dinner.

LOL
That's another thing I've come to "know" about over the years and would certainly like to try.
Mike B.
Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/17/13 2:48:22 AM
Mike,

I was just there this past summer and went right to Xcelerator. I literally got 6 consecutive rides, the first being the front seat then I moved around to empty rows until I knew I had to move on to do other things or I would have stayed there all day. I LOVE my launches! The line gets very long as the day goes on but began to wind down again in the evening. It's actually more of a bottle neck for the front that causes the lines (like El Toro) but has the same effect. They have cubbies on the platform to put your things in too which is always a bonus!

The Pony Express line was like watching water boil. SLOW as a snail (and it was hot as Hades the day I went with NO shade on that line). The loading of the horses takes time and the ride itself is about 20 seconds long. I wouldn't ever wait more than 5-10 minutes for it again but if you've never been you've got to ride it once - very unique. Another one of those rides where the potential was great but they came up short (literally!).

Get the rear car facing backwards on Sidewinder - much better spin action than the front. I found that one to be such a unique, fun coaster - I was laughing the entire ride because I did not expect to enjoy it the way I did.

I preferred the front on Ghost Rider - can be a bit rough but I found it quite ridable in the front. Depends on your preference.

Silver Bullet is great too - last row on the right was my favorite spot. This line moves very quickly so if it appears long it will move and the queue is covered.

Montezuma's Revenge was a walk-on all day so you can try both the front and back with no problem. It's a classic (and another launch!)

When I was there I went on Wind Seeker and found it to be to most boring ride ever (OK, I'm exaggerating a bit) but after I rode it got stuck a few times and was shut down for a while. No way is that ride worth risking your day being trapped (and the risk is pretty damn high).

Make sure you take a ride on the Sky Cabin (spinning view tower) and have your camera ready. Nice views of the park.

And definitely eat at the Fireman's BBQ place - DELICIOUS!

Loved the log flume - too bad it's being renovated - it's also not a drenching one at all - I hate being soaked too.

Drachen touched upon everything else. Have a GREAT time! It's really a great park and I found the employees to be among the best I've encountered. I also did not get a Fast Pass and it wasn't needed so wait to see if you need it before purchasing. You can get them inside the park if needed.

Jen

* This post was modified at 3/17/13 1:19:47 PM *

Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by MABrider MABrider Profile at 3/30/13 9:58:55 PM
I quit writing detailed TRs with my specific thoughts on coasters years ago, but I wanted to pen a quick follow up here.

All the advice penned above had been duly noted by me and copied into a WORD doc I took with me into the park. It was all helpful, thanks again.

My wife, daughter and I had a great day at Knott's this past Wednesday. Weather was perfect, crowds were high(er) due to spring break.
I did get two Fast Lanes and my daughter and I made good use of them.

All in all Knott's is a nice park, worthy of multiple visits (or a season pass) for those in the area.
I most likely won't get there again, so I am saying it is off my bucket list.

To end the day, we all had the famous chicken dinner...unbelievable how large those three pieces of chicken are!...then the bread, the soup, the side, the pie. Oh my!
Delicious.

Mike B.
Re: My first ever visit to Knott's...advice, heads up by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/30/13 11:00:44 PM
MABrider said:

I quit writing detailed TRs with my specific thoughts on coasters years ago, but I wanted to pen a quick follow up here.

All the advice penned above had been duly noted by me and copied into a WORD doc I took with me into the park. It was all helpful, thanks again.

My wife, daughter and I had a great day at Knott's this past Wednesday. Weather was perfect, crowds were high(er) due to spring break.
I did get two Fast Lanes and my daughter and I made good use of them.

All in all Knott's is a nice park, worthy of multiple visits (or a season pass) for those in the area.
I most likely won't get there again, so I am saying it is off my bucket list.

To end the day, we all had the famous chicken dinner...unbelievable how large those three pieces of chicken are!...then the bread, the soup, the side, the pie. Oh my!
Delicious.

It is a really nice park with some really good coasters (that I think get overlooked many times being in the shadow of Disney and SFMM) and the nicest employees. The food is really good in comparison to other restaurants, never mind an amusement park!

Glad you and your family had a great time!

Jen