Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Themed Coaster Layouts & Elements

Themed Coaster Layouts & Elements

Overbanked Overbanked Profile

Posted:
3/6/13 at
11:35:43 PM

The new Gold Striker coaster at California's Great America is the only 'themed coaster layout' that I can think of. This very impressive overhead view of the Gold Striker literally looks just like a grumpy old prospector, with the lifthill, first drop and plunging banked right turn being 'the beard'.

www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=XFj1_XOva8A

An example of a themed coaster element is Hollywood Rip Ride & Rockit's treble clef element to go with that music theme of course.

To tell you the truth, I get a lil' nervous with these very aesthetic and fancy themed coaster maneuvers or layouts, with so much of the focal point seemingly being 'making it look like' Forty-Niner, treble clef etc; Sure they look awesome overhead or off ride, but will it deliver anything memorable on ride? Hopefully Gold Striker will deliver with an awesome experience; That tunnel should definitely add excitement for this woodie. Can anyone think of any other coaster themed layouts or elements?

* This post was modified at 3/6/13 11:46:04 PM *

Re: Themed Coaster Layouts & Elements by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 3/9/13 1:08:05 PM
Incredibly neat video. I'm guessing that he put a camera on a mini helicopter to get those shots.

Not sure that I see what you do in the layout though. I see a customized layout, but I don't know that there was an intention to make it look like a gold miner, unless you've seen something I haven't. If it was, then he's got a rather deformed looking head/ face if you ask me. :p But it is looking like it's going to be a fun ride. Certainly better than that other disaster of a wood coaster in the park.

BTW, just curious- anyone know if they still use the IMax theater a CGA at all? Or is it closed and an empty building now?

Re: Themed Coaster Layouts & Elements by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/9/13 10:36:25 PM
SirWillow said:

Not sure that I see what you do in the layout though. I see a customized layout, but I don't know that there was an intention to make it look like a gold miner, unless you've seen something I haven't.

Yeah, maybe you're right as I don't see any mentions on the web about Gold Striker's layout looking like an actual miner from above. I definitely kinda see a 'miner hat' thing going on top of the layout, or maybe I'm just seeing a deceptive 'Jesus on a piece of toast' type mirage. :)

Re: Themed Coaster Layouts & Elements by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 3/10/13 1:49:28 AM
Isn't the Tennessee tornado supposed to be curvy just like Dolly Parton? :)
Re: Themed Coaster Layouts & Elements *NM* by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 3/10/13 6:10:06 PM
^^^LMAO!