Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions

Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions

pookie

Posted:
3/5/13 at
1:01:09 PM

Hey guys I am new here and was thinking about planning a trip to Carowins, Kings dominion and maybe Busch Gardens Williamsburg trip at the end of March or beginning of April. I wanted to know if anyone has been to these parks around this time of year and what the weather is like? which ones are worth definitely seeing? Thanks

Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 3/5/13 1:29:36 PM
My first visit to Carowinds was on Easter Sunday about 6-7 years ago. It was 90 degrees in early April, but the crowds weren't bad except for Borg Assimilator (now NightHawk)

I always go to KD around the third week of April. Crowds aren't bad, but it always seems to rain..right, Paul?

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 3/5/13 1:46:37 PM
Not sure about Carowinds but Busch Gardens opens on March 22 and Kings Dominion opens the following Friday the 29th. Busch Gardens has been busy the past few years opening weekend and usually stays busy Saturdays but Sundays have been pretty good. Same for Kings Dominion. The week of spring break is busy but Sundays have been really good for us the past several years.

Lee

Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by alpengeistno3 at 3/5/13 5:44:31 PM
The general early season rule with KD is Saturdays can be busy if the weather is mild. Cold or rain will clear the place out. Sundays are almost always good unless there is a break then next day. (see above weather rule).

Unless it is 80-90*, opening day is never crowded (even when I-305 opened, it never had longer than a 30 min. wait, even at the peak of the day.)

From talking to area band directors, a lot of schools are now taking their band trips before May, so the last 3 weeks of April could see busier than usual Saturdays, despite the weather.

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by Fatsoccerguy191 Fatsoccerguy191 Profile at 3/9/13 3:06:44 PM
I've been to Carowinds before, but not as
much as I've been to BGW and KD, so I can help you on that one the most. The weather in VA is usually mildly warm around late March/ April. It's when the weather is starting to get ready for summer. It can get really crowded on Saturday's, so I suggest going on a Sunday. I think you should make sure you to KD and BGW the most. Carowinds is a nice park, but I think KD and BGW are more of the "must-do" experience's. Also, according to their 2013 calendar, KD will be open from Monday-Saturday in the first week of April, so you should try one of the weekdays if you drop in then.

For BGW, their calendar also says that they are open from Sunday March 24th- Saturday March 31. They are also open from Monday-Saturday the first week of April just like KD, so I think it would be best for you to visit during the first week of April. It can also get really crowded at BGW on the weekends of March and April.

* This post was modified at 3/9/13 3:08:16 PM *

Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by pookie at 3/13/13 12:20:21 AM
Fatsoccerguy191 said:

I've been to Carowinds before, but not as
much as I've been to BGW and KD, so I can help you on that one the most. The weather in VA is usually mildly warm around late March/ April. It's when the weather is starting to get ready for summer. It can get really crowded on Saturday's, so I suggest going on a Sunday. I think you should make sure you to KD and BGW the most. Carowinds is a nice park, but I think KD and BGW are more of the "must-do" experience's. Also, according to their 2013 calendar, KD will be open from Monday-Saturday in the first week of April, so you should try one of the weekdays if you drop in then.

For BGW, their calendar also says that they are open from Sunday March 24th- Saturday March 31. They are also open from Monday-Saturday the first week of April just like KD, so I think it would be best for you to visit during the first week of April. It can also get really crowded at BGW on the weekends of March and April.

Is the weather usually rainy or sunny in Kings dominion around the first week in April?

Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by alpengeistno3 at 3/13/13 12:56:34 AM
pookie said:

Is the weather usually rainy or sunny in Kings dominion around the first week in April?

I don't think you can expect to get an accurate answer here. Just check the 7 day forecast a week out from you trip.

What we can tell you is that KD has a very liberal rain policy. Most of the rides will operate in the rain until there is thunder and lightning in the immediate area.

Mike will tell you that it is NOT a good idea to ride I-305 in a rain storm, even if it is running!

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 3/13/13 1:53:56 AM
Yeah better wear safety goggles on that. Even on anaconda a rain drop smacked me right in the eye, I can't imagine the pain on that 300' drop.
Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by pookie at 3/18/13 1:53:03 PM
I have decided I will plan on going to KD on a weekday the first week in April. What do you guys think my chances of it being busy and the temperatures being somewhat warm since it has been pretty cold so far in march?
Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by alpengeistno3 at 3/18/13 6:23:18 PM
pookie said:

I have decided I will plan on going to KD on a weekday the first week in April. What do you guys think my chances of it being busy and the temperatures being somewhat warm since it has been pretty cold so far in march?

LOL at you still asking a bunch of coaster enthusiasts for a weather forecast :) While I can't tell you what the weather will be, I can tell you this year has been such a mixed bag. Last week, here outside DC, we have had temps in the 60's, temps in the 30's and a small dousing of snow this morning.

Check the 7 day forecast towards the middle of next week and hope for the best.

Paul

Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/18/13 7:17:02 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

LOL at you still asking a bunch of coaster enthusiasts for a weather forecast :)

Paul

LMAO! When I began checking the weather for Sat at GAdv (before we changed plans) it has changed a hundred times in the past 8 days - from the upper 30's to the upper 40's and then even mid 50's at one point. It has said it will be cloudy, partly cloudy, raining (with variable percentages) and sunny at some point as well. Right now it says partly cloudy and a high of 46 F - I'm sure that will change too! :-)

I picked the wrong profession - I should have been a meteorologist - no accountability!

Jen

Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by pookie at 3/19/13 2:14:58 AM
Sorry for all the weather questions guys but I appreciate all the responses the only reason why I ask is because I will be flying in from Boston so I have to book my flights soon before they go up and I just wanted to make sure I was picking a good time to go
Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 3/19/13 5:54:32 AM
pookie said:

Sorry for all the weather questions guys but I appreciate all the responses the only reason why I ask is because I will be flying in from Boston so I have to book my flights soon before they go up and I just wanted to make sure I was picking a good time to go

We were just having some fun with you - please don't take it personally. :-)

As Paul mentioned the weather around this time of year in the east coast is very unpredictable, as you surely know coming from MA. The only thing that's pretty much guaranteed is that it will be warmer than it is up by you but it's all relative. Hope you get a nice day to go and have a great time!

Here is a link from when I went for the first time in years 2 years ago with some good tips:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/214842

And here's my TR (trip report) from when I went:

http://www.ultimaterollercoaster.com/forums/roller-coasters-theme-parks/216058

Have fun!
Jen

Re: Kings Dominion, and Carowins Questions by alpengeistno3 at 3/19/13 8:42:08 PM
pookie said:

Yeah, we're just poking fun at you since predicting weather 2-3 weeks in advance is a crapshoot for real meteorologists too. You are just going to have to book your flight and hope that it doesn't completely rain/freeze you out.

Here is a website for you to keep tabs on what the "experts" are saying about the weather (take it FWIW, because it will change as your date gets closer, guaranteed!

http://www.noaa.gov/

Paul