Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > New Carnival Cruise commercial

New Carnival Cruise commercial

alpengeistno3

Posted:
2/16/13 at
8:04:41 PM

I saw this today. I believe that with the irony of this past week's events, Carnival should really rethink poking fun at amusement parks right now.

Paul

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/16/13 11:58:49 PM
Lmao! Irony indeed. I haven't had the chance to see the whole commercial, but I definitely saw the roller coaster part.
Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Coaster316 at 2/17/13 9:50:16 AM
Ironic, indeed. The commercial, though, is actually more than a year old.

Its interesting to me that the cruise line is getting a lot of backlash and a quotes from people saying they would never go on a cruise now. In my opinion, its no different than a roller coaster accident. You are still much more likely to go on a cruise and enjoy it than go on a cruise and have something like this happen. Typical overkill.

FTR...not saying this post was suggesting anything like that, just a side note.

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/17/13 4:16:14 PM
CF and SF should have rebuttal commercials showing people having a blast at their parks vs people defecating into plastic bags and their rooms getting looted. :-)

And I HATE when commercials/TV/movies have things that do not happen - like someone having their pocketbook on the floor of a looping coaster. Drives me crazy!!

Jen

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 2/18/13 11:42:14 AM
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Please use a hazardous material bag
When you have to go number 2

Saw that on FB somewhere. Made me smile.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by alpengeistno3 at 2/18/13 12:00:18 PM
GoYanks34 said:

CF and SF should have rebuttal commercials showing people having a blast at their parks vs people defecating into plastic bags and their rooms getting looted. :-)

And I HATE when commercials/TV/movies have things that do not happen - like someone having their pocketbook on the floor of a looping coaster. Drives me crazy!!

Jen

I would love to see a rebuttal from Six Flags (since I don't think CF would go there). May be too soon, though.

I try not to get too bent out of shape over clear inaccuracies regarding park-related portrayals in media. While unseeable now, there was a time when people would (and were allowed to) take all kinds of things on park rides. Back when I was working Drachen Fire and Loch Ness (before the Montu incident that tightened up Busch's loose article policy), we would routinely tell women who refused to leave their purses on the platform to place it on the floor of the car and place their legs through the straps. Disney, last time I was there, still told people to do that on Space Mountain and Big Thunder (not sure about Rock N Roller).

So, despite the gravity defying physics displayed, there is "some" truth to the commercial.

Paul

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Coaster316 at 2/18/13 12:27:02 PM
I think the difference is that this commercial was obviously done with a wink and a smile in mind. They're really not suggesting that coasters are dangerous. I don't think there would be a way for the park industry reply without being downright nasty.
Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/18/13 12:50:15 PM
Paul: when I went on rock n roller, I wasn't given any word to take my back pack off elsewhere and put one leg thru one of the straps and placed it between my legs and was fine. This was maybe 6-8 yrs ago though.
Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/18/13 12:59:42 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Paul: when I went on rock n roller, I wasn't given any word to take my back pack off elsewhere and put one leg thru one of the straps and placed it between my legs and was fine. This was maybe 6-8 yrs ago though.

That's crazy! The only coaster I have been allowed to take personal belongings on that I can recall was Jaguar at Knotts - which has no inversions or speed. I had a fanny pack on but they had me take the refillable drink cup with me and wouldn't let me leave it on the platform. Even back in the day SFGAdv made us leave everything on the platform for Lightnin Loops (the days before the lockers). Any coaster with inversions that they allow people to take things on is just asking for trouble.

Jen

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/18/13 2:57:10 PM
Honestly I was surprised I was allowed to take the bag with me, but I was careful with the bag. yeah I dunno what the current policy is now. It doesn't matter much as I don't carry any bags on me anymore. Everest, I think I was also allowed to carry a bag.
As for people with caps, I remember someone's cap causing space mountain to get shut down when I was waiting in line. That was the first time I got to see the ride under full lighting and seeing the tracks.

* This post was modified at 2/18/13 2:59:04 PM *

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by alpengeistno3 at 2/18/13 4:39:03 PM
Jen and Phil, remember the California Screamin' incident 2(?) years ago? I haven't been back to Disney in about 6-7 years, but I would think Disney has rethought their loose article policy as a result (at least on their looping coasters.)

Paul

* This post was modified at 2/18/13 4:43:13 PM *

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by alpengeistno3 at 2/18/13 4:41:37 PM
Coaster316 said:

I don't think there would be a way for the park industry reply without being downright nasty.

"downright NASTY" indeed! *wink

Paul

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/18/13 4:42:25 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Jen, remember the California Screamin' incident 2(?) years ago? I haven't been back to Disney in about 6-7 years, but I would think Disney has rethought their loose article policy as a result (at least on their looping coasters.)

Paul

Yes I do - I completely forgot about that! I still think it's insane to allow loose articles on a coaster with inversions. It's bad enough when change and phones fall out of pockets (and the time when KK took my pack of cigarettes!) never mind a bag full of stuff.

Jen

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by alpengeistno3 at 2/18/13 4:57:53 PM
Well, the reason Disney does (did?) it is that their rides don't really allow for leaving articles on the platform due to separate unload platforms and because of the number of units they run, bins really aren't an option either. I don't remember their locker system being convenient enough to allow the "free" locker system that Universal uses.

There is also that misnomer that Disney rides are not that aggressive. I do believe they have changed the policy since I have been there, but I don't know. Maybe they have mimicked Universal's locker system as well, but I don't think they have actively turned away riders who still insist on bringing items on the rides.

I remember one ride at Six Flags (can't remember off the top of my head whether it was Gradv or America) that when they first started their "required" locker policy, they made people bring articles on the ride with them rather than sitting them on the platform (I think it was a souvenir bottle before they put the racks up there). Policies like that infuriate me because they are inconsistent. If it is not safe to bring your stuff on one ride, it should be for all of them.

Paul

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 2/19/13 11:30:40 AM
Here is the irony for me. Cruising has replaced my love of roller coasters since moving away from my beloved Canada's Wonderland. I cruised once with Carnival but I am pretty much a Celebrity cruise fan boy now.

regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by PkD4Life PkD4Life Profile at 2/19/13 1:28:58 PM
There is also that misnomer that Disney rides are not that aggressive. I do believe they have changed the policy since I have been there, but I don't know. Maybe they have mimicked Universal's locker system as well, but I don't think they have actively turned away riders who still insist on bringing items on the rides.

Paul

We were down at Disney twice last year, once in May and again in October, and never had any problem with taking anything on rides with us. In May I took my camera with me and was able to carry it on every ride. On Space Mountain I was asked to either put it on the floor or try to fit it into the picket on the inside of the car. Same for Thunder Mountain and Everest. Rock N Rollercoaster was just told to secure it on the floor.

Lee

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/19/13 9:28:06 PM
Jen, that sucks your bf took your pack. lol. I'd suggest pants with deeper pockets :) :knock on wood: All my loose articles (wallet, camera) are still with me despite all the rides I've been on.
=
I will make a note about if the Disney parks have some restrictions regarding bags if I go there this summer.
KevinReid said:

Here is the irony for me. Cruising has replaced my love of roller coasters since moving away from my beloved Canada's Wonderland. I cruised once with Carnival but I am pretty much a Celebrity cruise fan boy now.

regards,
Kevin Reid

Wow, I haven't been on a cruise in years. My first and only one was when Celebrity had the boat Horizon, this was in the 90s.

* This post was modified at 2/19/13 9:36:19 PM *

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/19/13 9:37:40 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

KevinReid said:

regards,
Kevin Reid

Wow, I haven't been on a cruise in years. My first and only one was when Celebrity had the boat Horizon, this was in the 90s.

I get extremely sea sick but was "forced" to take a cruise up the Nile when I went to Egypt, since that's really the only way to do it. My friends kept saying "you won't get sick on a cruise ship - don't worry about it". I vomited several times in the Nile river and wanted to die several times during that week due to nausea. And that was on the motion sickness patch and those magnetic things on my wrists. So no cruises for me!

Jen

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/19/13 9:41:47 PM
That's a shame. I didn't have any issues with sea sickness at all. My trip wasn't too long, just NYC to Bermuda. I vaguely remember the trip other than maybe the caves and a tour of the island. That said, I'm not really a cruise person. It was a nice experience though.
Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by alpengeistno3 at 2/19/13 10:12:58 PM
PkD4Life said:

Paul

We were down at Disney twice last year, once in May and again in October, and never had any problem with taking anything on rides with us. In May I took my camera with me and was able to carry it on every ride. On Space Mountain I was asked to either put it on the floor or try to fit it into the picket on the inside of the car. Same for Thunder Mountain and Everest. Rock N Rollercoaster was just told to secure it on the floor.

Lee

Well, in a way, it is good to hear that Disney is not as panic stricken as Universal (*cough non-Dueling Dragons *cough) when it comes to ride accidents. I'd be curious if it is business as usual on California Screamin' or if they made some modification due to the bookbag incident.

Paul

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/20/13 12:40:17 AM
Well I will say to some extent IOAs rides are a little more extreme than disney's. that said the permanent end of the dueling aspect still pisses me off.
Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by alpengeistno3 at 2/21/13 8:55:42 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Well I will say to some extent IOAs rides are a little more extreme than disney's. that said the permanent end of the dueling aspect still pisses me off.

If this was Facebook, I would "like" this. I question whether IOA's coaster are really more "extreme" than Disney's. At least in terms of forces. The Dragons are the smoothest coasters in Fl. Hulk, despite the inversions and the launch, is pretty "soft" compared to other launch coasters in the country (heck, even Rock N Roller Coaster pack more actual thrust.)

On the other hand, Space Mountain is a very long, twisted, convoluted trek in near complete darkness. I think a lot more non coaster riders would be freaked out by that than Dragons despite them clearly being more intense rides. (And freaked out people are more apt to loose their stuff.)

Paul

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/21/13 11:01:08 PM
I still can't believe they've stopped dueling them permanently. What a shame. :-(

Jen

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/22/13 9:35:18 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Cyclone_Phil said:

If this was Facebook, I would "like" this. I question whether IOA's coaster are really more "extreme" than Disney's. At least in terms of forces. The Dragons are the smoothest coasters in Fl. Hulk, despite the inversions and the launch, is pretty "soft" compared to other launch coasters in the country (heck, even Rock N Roller Coaster pack more actual thrust.)

On the other hand, Space Mountain is a very long, twisted, convoluted trek in near complete darkness. I think a lot more non coaster riders would be freaked out by that than Dragons despite them clearly being more intense rides. (And freaked out people are more apt to loose their stuff.)

Paul

True, the launch of rock'n roller is intense and still gets to me on my very first ride of the day. But I guess I would refer to the height. RnR would be more like flight of fear. Dragons, you are hanging below the tracks with nothing below your feet nearly 15 floors up. So it is psychologically intimidating.
I guess some rides are scary to ppl for a variety of reasons, some are afraid of the total darkness, others of the height, others of the launch. When I was younger I was more afraid of the height and with RnR I wasn't sure what to expect with that ride, but it did get me used to a coaster with inversions, the launch still made me a little uneasy, but eventually I got over that. hulk took a bit longer to get over because it combined height and launch. I guess now with so many types of coasters on my belt, the only ride that still spooks me is rip ride rock it only because of the vertical lift and how I worry my camera etc will fall from my pockets, lol. Kingda ka, no worries, but rrr... Lol I can't explain it.

* This post was modified at 2/22/13 9:47:46 PM *

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by alpengeistno3 at 2/23/13 2:23:32 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

I guess now with so many types of coasters on my belt, the only ride that still spooks me is rip ride rock it only because of the vertical lift and how I worry my camera etc will fall from my pockets, lol. Kingda ka, no worries, but rrr... Lol I can't explain it.

Well, despite the speed of KK, there is something "familiar" about the riding position. It is just like every other coaster. Vertical lift coasters take some getting used to since there just aren't that many out there and they put your body at a very awkward angle for climbing a lift. Flying coasters had the same effect on me when Vekoma 1st debuted theirs in Batwing and X-Flight.

Paul

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/23/13 3:17:07 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:
... the only ride that still spooks me is rip ride rock it only because of the vertical lift ...

Mystery Mine two years earlier got me used to that...
probably why RRR seemed so "tame" to me ;)

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/23/13 4:16:39 PM
Rrr is the only vertical lift coaster I've been on so far. I've yet to ride any other types. I'm not sure if it was because of the u shaped lap bar of rrr that makes the difference. Fahrenheit seems to have a typical seat restraint, so I guess I might be ok with those.

Paul: oh yeah the pretzel loop still makes me put my hands back on my pockets to check on my stuff every now and then. It's why I pretty much have clips on most of the stuff so that they don't fly away.

* This post was modified at 2/23/13 4:20:02 PM *

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/23/13 4:37:35 PM
Wouldn't KK's tower be a vertical lift hill? You're going straight up in a sitting position :))

But Mystery Mine, Fahrenheit, and Ultra Twister are the only true vertical lift kills I've been on. I like them.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by RobLec RobLec Profile at 2/23/13 6:57:37 PM
beastmaster said:
But Mystery Mine, Fahrenheit, and Ultra Twister are the only true vertical lift kills I've been on.

Aw come on, they're not that hard on the riders!

(You know you had that coming, right?)

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/23/13 7:47:45 PM
RobLec said:

beastmaster said:
But Mystery Mine, Fahrenheit, and Ultra Twister are the only true vertical lift kills I've been on.

Aw come on, they're not that hard on the riders!

(You know you had that coming, right?)

No, I didn't know. But now that I see my error, I'm leaving it. "lift kills" has a nice ring to it :)

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/24/13 2:13:49 AM
beastmaster said:

Wouldn't KK's tower be a vertical lift hill? You're going straight up in a sitting position :))

But Mystery Mine, Fahrenheit, and Ultra Twister are the only true vertical lift kills I've been on. I like them.

Mike

Lol, well, I wouldn't lump KK in with the others. You launch fast enough that the stuff in the pockets might not have enough time to drop out. Also I don't think I was ever concerned about the stuff in my pockets even with the launch being double the fastest launch I was used to at that point.

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/25/13 8:36:21 PM
Cyclone_Phil said:

Lol, well, I wouldn't lump KK in with the others. You launch fast enough that the stuff in the pockets might not have enough time to drop out. Also I don't think I was ever concerned about the stuff in my pockets even with the launch being double the fastest launch I was used to at that point.

That bastard stole a full pack of cigarettes from my very secure pocket so don't tell me you can't lost things on KK! Bet you didn't know he smoked - LOL!

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by alpengeistno3 at 2/26/13 1:30:03 AM
GoYanks34 said:

That bastard stole a full pack of cigarettes from my very secure pocket so don't tell me you can't lost things on KK! Bet you didn't know he smoked - LOL!

Well, that was before they installed the water cooling system on the cable launch. Quitting is hard though, so I wouldn't be surprised if he has a regression every now and then :)

Paul

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/26/13 9:07:34 AM
GoYanks34 said:

Cyclone_Phil said:

Trouble in Paradise?

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/26/13 1:08:09 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

Cyclone_Phil said:

Trouble in Paradise?

No - this was several years ago - the year when he got pissed about my cheating with TTD and then he stole my cigarettes and broke down for the season (at least for my season as I had to go back to Iowa middle of August). LOL!

Jen

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/26/13 2:35:47 PM
Considering it was a couple years ago and you're still calling him a bastard, it seems to run deeper :)
Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/26/13 3:47:41 PM
beastmaster said:

Considering it was a couple years ago and you're still calling him a bastard, it seems to run deeper :)

I had to lurk around smoking areas and mooch cigarettes for the rest of the day - I was mortified! And this is why we keep all of my roller coaster discretions a secret from him now. :-P

Jen

Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/26/13 3:52:17 PM
You may THINK they're secrets. But I've spent some time with him without the pleasure of your company and...well, draw your own conclusions.
Re: New Carnival Cruise commercial by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/27/13 10:38:44 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Lol, well that's a personal issue with your bf :) but as for me, the launch up the tower was fast like ripping a bandaid off. Going up a vertical lift is like a slow peel in regards of worrying about my stuff. I keep my stuff tightly packed in my pockets, so not an issue for me ;)