Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Happy Birthday to George Ferris Jr.

Happy Birthday to George Ferris Jr.

GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile

Posted:
2/14/13 at
6:57:26 PM

Saw this on the SFGAdv FB page and decided to share. I know the answer - do you?

Happy birthday, George Ferris, Jr. – inventor of the Ferris wheel! To celebrate our “love” of our Ferris wheel this Valentine’s Day, take a crack at this trivia question… what is the origin of our own Big Wheel? You decide!

a. Built in 1900 for the Exposition Universelle (world’s fair) in Paris, it was originally called the Grand Roue de Paris, disassembled in 1920, sat in storage until refurbished for Great Adventure in 1974.
b. Procured from the Holland Tulip Festival in the Netherlands, the ride slowly made its way across the Atlantic and settled in Jackson in 1974.
c. Originated at the New York World’s Fair in Queens in 1964-65, and was then refurbished for its reintroduction at Great Adventure in 1974.

Re: Happy Birthday to George Ferris Jr. by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/14/13 8:03:59 PM
GoYanks34 said:

Saw this on the SFGAdv FB page and decided to share. I know the answer - do you?

Happy birthday, George Ferris, Jr. – inventor of the Ferris wheel! To celebrate our “love” of our Ferris wheel this Valentine’s Day, take a crack at this trivia question… what is the origin of our own Big Wheel? You decide!

a. Built in 1900 for the Exposition Universelle (world’s fair) in Paris, it was originally called the Grand Roue de Paris, disassembled in 1920, sat in storage until refurbished for Great Adventure in 1974.
b. Procured from the Holland Tulip Festival in the Netherlands, the ride slowly made its way across the Atlantic and settled in Jackson in 1974.
c. Originated at the New York World’s Fair in Queens in 1964-65, and was then refurbished for its reintroduction at Great Adventure in 1974.

But....but....but you HATE Ferris Wheels!

My guess would be (B) but I don't feel like doing the research...

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Happy Birthday to George Ferris Jr. by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/14/13 10:12:48 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

But....but....but you HATE Ferris Wheels!

VERY true! But still relevant to to the forum and many do enjoy them, even if they are dangling hundreds of feet above concrete with nothing but a cable holding the car that they're in that at any moment may plunge to the earth and shatter into pieces. :-)

My guess would be (B) but I don't feel like doing the research...

Ding, ding, ding - we have a winner!
From the GAdv history page:

The Giant Wheel was purchased used from the Holland Tulip Festival in the Netherlands where it had served as the centerpiece of the fair. The ride then made its way across the Atlantic to serve as the centerpiece of the new park.

Jen