Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > What Coaster Is This?

What Coaster Is This?

beastmaster beastmaster Profile

Posted:
2/11/13 at
9:36:36 AM

This article caught my eye this morning because of the roller coaster imagery. It's about the industries that have a lot of available jobs, and the amusement park industry tops the (okay, alphabetical) list.

Can anyone identify the pictured coaster? It's not a quiz...I'm not very good at ID'ing coasters based on a picture out of context. I might guess Ninja, but I have doubts.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/20-industries-record-numbers-jobs-203359671.html

* This post was modified at 2/11/13 11:52:55 AM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: What Coaster Is This? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 2/11/13 11:18:08 AM
Of course what they don't tell you is that the majority of those "amusement industry" jobs are at or near minimum wage and so not a livable income, but that's a whole 'nother discussion. :)

It's an Arrow looper, based on the track, supports and design (and the pretzel loop/ sidewinder just to the bottom of the picture) I'm guessing that it's probably Great American Scream Machine at Great Adventure. It looks similar to this picture but at a slightly different angle:
http://rcdb.com/34.htm?p=1024 so that would be my guess.

Re: What Coaster Is This? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/11/13 11:31:00 AM
That was my first thought, George, but none of the background infra-structure looked familiar. And unless I've suddenly gone color-blind, the supports appear to be blue..ORGASM had white supports as shown in your RCDB linked pic.

And yeah, you're right about the jobs...covers everything from broom pushers to ride ops to cast members to caricaturists.

* This post was modified at 2/11/13 11:55:00 AM *

Re: What Coaster Is This? by drachen drachen Profile at 2/11/13 12:08:37 PM
It looks like Scream Machine to me too.

Two loops into a left turn up into a block brake, then down into a batwing.

There are only two coasters that do that, and this one doesn't look like Magic Mountain's Viper to me...

Plus, I think I see a Superman inversion in the background.

* This post was modified at 2/11/13 8:54:52 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: What Coaster Is This? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/11/13 12:34:37 PM
Yeah, I suppose the "blue" supports could be a trick of the light.
Re: What Coaster Is This? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/11/13 12:53:30 PM
I think it's of the Defunct Shockwave from Chicago. Its one of the big three (7 Inversion Arrows) which only Viper at Magic Mountain is left.

Chuck

* This post was modified at 2/11/13 12:54:57 PM *

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: What Coaster Is This? by skc2000 at 2/11/13 1:32:24 PM
Generally the shockwave at Six flags great america was blue & the Great american scream machine at Six flags great adventure was red & this coaster looks like red to me & no coaster had a layout similar to these 2 coasters so this looks like the GASM to me.

skc2000

Re: What Coaster Is This? by alpengeistno3 at 2/11/13 7:42:07 PM
Definitely GASM. The supports were white, but the shadow of the pic makes them appear blueish. Also, that is indeed Superman: UF in the background (you can see the A-line supports just before the block brake.)

I would say the picture taken in the parking lot right in front of the old guard booth that used to stand between GASM and KK.

Surprised you missed this one, Mike!

Paul

Re: What Coaster Is This? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/11/13 8:03:04 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

You can smack me upside the head in about 5 weeks. You're already bringing that "gun" for Jen. So if Judy comes, she'll have to protect me from both of you.

Re: What Coaster Is This? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/12/13 10:04:40 PM
beastmaster said:

alpengeistno3 said:

Paul

You can smack me upside the head in about 5 weeks. You're already bringing that "gun" for Jen. So if Judy comes, she'll have to protect me from both of you.

I'm going to smack you too! How could you not know that was GASM - it wasn't taken out THAT long ago. It's the standard parking lot view.
Does this photo refresh your memory? :-)

And I found this in the same folder - Medusa as she was before that horrible audio! :-(

Jen

Re: What Coaster Is This? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/13/13 9:09:57 AM
That photo is much more recognizable.

And you can only smack me if you catch me.

Re: What Coaster Is This? by alpengeistno3 at 2/13/13 11:38:10 PM
Sort of off topic, but didn't Great Adventure once have the record for most inversions in a park? Amazing how they have completely switched directions, with 4 of their last 5 installations being non-loopers, but removing 3 loopers in that same time frame.

Paul

Re: What Coaster Is This? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/13/13 11:47:17 PM
beastmaster said:

If I'm on my knee scooter I think you're in trouble... :-)

Jen

Re: What Coaster Is This? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/14/13 8:57:15 AM
GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

Jen

One good push and the chase is over ;)

Re: What Coaster Is This? by skc2000 at 2/14/13 10:55:11 AM
alpengeistno3 said:

Sort of off topic, but didn't Great Adventure once have the record for most inversions in a park? Amazing how they have completely switched directions, with 4 of their last 5 installations being non-loopers, but removing 3 loopers in that same time frame.

Paul

From the time that medusa/bizarro opened up in 1999 till the removal of the chiller in 2007 Six flags great adventures had a whooping high 31 to 33 inversions which was the most inversions at any park in the world but now they are down to only 19 inversions.

When SUF opened up in 2003(2 inversions)that raised the inversions from 31 to 33 inversions but then after the removal of the viper(only 2 inversions)it went back down to 31 inversions but after the closure & removal of the chiller it went down from 31 inversions to only 21 inversions.

After the removal of the viper the park still had 31 inversions after the removal of the viper but the park went from 31 inversions to only 21 inversions after the removal of the chiller.The chiller had only 5 inversions(2 on batman & 3 on robin)but you had to do the inversions both forwards & backwards on each ride so that,s how the chiller really had 10 inversions.

Then with the removal of the scream machine for green lantern the inversions went down from 21 inversions to only 19 because the scream machine had 7 inversions & green lantern has only 5 inversions.

But Six flags great adventures now holds the record of the only park in the world with 5 B&M,s.
So there is still some sort of record breaker at SFGADV with 5 B&M,s.

skc2000

Re: What Coaster Is This? by drachen drachen Profile at 2/14/13 11:44:23 AM
Inversions by Park (2013)

1) Magic Mountain - 34
2) Thorpe Park - 22
3) Cedar Point - 21
4) Carowinds - 20
5) Fiesta Texas - 19
Great Adventure - 19
SF Over Georgia - 19

Courtesy of RCDB...

Inversion Breakdown

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: What Coaster Is This? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 2/14/13 5:51:30 PM
beastmaster said:

GoYanks34 said:

beastmaster said:

Jen

One good push and the chase is over ;)

You have to catch me first! You'd be surprised how fast I can go on that thing! :-P

Jen

Re: What Coaster Is This? by ktujon ktujon Profile at 6/15/13 11:16:40 PM
saw this commercial growing up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE6PdIw1fn0

I'm guessing this is Viper from SFMM with the green trains

* This post was modified at 6/15/13 11:19:04 PM *

Re: What Coaster Is This? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 6/18/13 2:39:08 PM
ktujon said:

saw this commercial growing up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KE6PdIw1fn0

I'm guessing this is Viper from SFMM with the green trains

Yes, that's definitely Viper at SFMM. The layout, trains, and cactus give it away.