Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Your last real scare or being scared on a coaster?

Your last real scare or being scared on a coaster?

CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile

Posted:
2/1/13 at
8:15:17 PM

Elaborate..........

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Your last real scare or being scared on a coaster? by CoasterFanatic CoasterFanatic Profile at 2/1/13 8:29:13 PM
I really haven't been afraid or scared on a coaster since 2001 which featured two of those instances First was Milly which I can say I was a little afraid on my first ride and actually thrilled as well on that first drop the FIRST RIDE and since it's actually quite boring.

The Second and it scared the hell out of me all four times we rode it was Riverside Cyclone. The train just creeps over the top of these hills and the train drops out from under you leaving you standing. Honestly, I've never been that scared before or since.

I guess 2008 and the weirdest coaster you'd ever think would scare you is the one that actually did.

Leap the dips with three fat people and me in the front seat launched me skyward. Having ridden the coaster on two other visits 2001-2003 I was not expecting that at all and it was a very hot day to boot. It certainly was running very fast for LTD that day.

Chuck, who other than Raven pre 2004 hasn't really been scared that much on coasters or afraid of hardly any of them.

Charles Nungester 323 coasters and holding for two years now LOL Last coaster ride. HWN 2011
Re: Your last real scare or being scared on a coaster? by NotSo NotSo Profile at 2/1/13 8:51:17 PM
Windseaker gave me that uneasy feeling the first few times, you know that scared feeling where you hold on as tight as possible.

Firehawk at KI gave me horrible motion sickness to the point of having to lay down at the hotel for 6 hours.

But as far as being scared on a coaster, i cant think of one that makes me too scared or worried. Maybe Dragon Mountain in that long tunnel before the pretzel loop got me the first time, that was a long time ago..

Re: Your last real scare or being scared on a coaster? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 2/1/13 9:18:14 PM
I plead the fifth.

Well, okay...I've made mention of this in several previous posts, but the first two flyers I rode scared me s***less...Batwing and Geauga's X-Flight. Both also left me dazed, disoriented, and distressed..TRIPLE D, baby! I like flyers now, but it took me several years to get to that point.

Nothing else I can think of..in amusement parks, anyway...has ever really "scared" me.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Your last real scare or being scared on a coaster? by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 2/1/13 10:48:52 PM
URC Day at PKI 2000, the double helix during the night time ERT when the trims/skids (whatever) weren't being used for the ERT.

Pure terror.

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: Your last real scare or being scared on a coaster? by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 2/2/13 12:10:00 PM
One coaster and one non coaster.

The coaster was Viper at SFGrAm a number of years back. We were making a tour of a number of different parks as part of PPP back in 2001 if I remember right. At the time with SRM and PPP it wasn't unusual for people to leave their lapbars up a little bit, and when we went to SFGrAm they allowed us to do so as well on Viper. It was probably up 3-4 clicks from our laps.

We hit one drop shortly after the first one, and the guy next to me and I both went up so much that we were both desperately pushing that bar down and grabbing for the grab bar at the same time with looks of fear on our faces. Last time I ever rode a coaster with the bar more than a couple of clicks high. Scared the stuffing out of me and I'm still grateful that's all it was.

The non coaster was the skycoaster in Orlando, the one that's 300 feet tall. Stuff on the Stratosphere tower didn't bother me, but the skycoaster, with nothing to hold on to, and nothing visual around you holding you in, as you're that high in the air and then free falling? Yep, that scared me. I joke now that people always wonder what they'll say when they think they're about to die. I found out that day. (I pray really quick and loud. LOL)

Re: Your last real scare or being scared on a coaster? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 2/2/13 4:48:08 PM
When I first rode Intimidator 305 in 2010.

I had been on KK so the height shouldn't have bothered me, but all the talk/hype, and it being a more traditional coaster than KK had me a little nervous but that was what I wanted! Wanting to get that feeling of "HOLY CRAP!" is something I think about a lot now, but I'm fearless on coasters at this point. I-305 severely disappointed me because of the trims on the drop, but I really want to get back on it and see how it is now.

I guess Griffon also made me a little nervous because the pause of it. I rode that for the first time in 2011.

Some wood coasters give me the feeling that I may or may not die as well. Which as sick as it sounds that's all the more fun! haha

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Your last real scare or being scared on a coaster? by Cyclone_Phil Cyclone_Phil Profile at 2/2/13 9:52:25 PM
My first major coaster that was a (non Disney one) was the fire dragon of the dueling dragons (maybe 2004) as it was my first tall coaster ride and I was eyes shut the whole way. I was then lead by my cousins to the ice side and I finally got used to the feeling. It would be another few years before I tackled the hulk coaster because the launch freaked me out then.

Sheikra's steep drop initially scared me, but I eventually braved it and enjoy it every time I go there. Funny enough for 2008, kingda ka didn't phase me as much as it should despite the launch and height as I knew I needed to get this ride done early in the morning.

There will be 1 ride that will forever freak me out: very last seat of the Coney Island cyclone. You talk about a ride out of hell... The bunny hills are a killer, lap bars aren't enough to keep you locked in the seat, that's one ride you don't want to let go of the front handle bar.

* This post was modified at 2/2/13 10:19:38 PM *

Re: Your last real scare or being scared on a coaster? by skc2000 at 2/2/13 10:57:09 PM
With a coaster track record of 379 coasters & rolling thunder at SFGADV being my first coaster back in 1981 when the coaster was only 2 years old boy was i terrified back then.my first few coasters which were in the 1980,s i was a little scared back then & i still remember how terrified i was riding my 1st coaster back in 1981 LOL.

When i rode rolling thunder at SFGADV for the 1st time back in 1981 i still remember how i was holding onto the lap bar for dear life really thinking & convinced that i was not going to come off this coaster alive.

A few other times all in the 1980,s i was a little scared to ride the coasters but since then i have never been scared even once after the 1980,s.

skc2000