Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters

2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters

drachen drachen Profile

Posted:
1/24/13 at
2:21:05 PM

One day back in 2011, I randomly searched on the Data Base, to see what coasters were turning 10 years old. It was an interesting list.

It does three things:

1) It makes me feel old

2) It tells me how fast time flies.

3) It tells me what anniversary coasters I'll be riding this coming year.

People seemed to like the 2011 list that I posted. So, I also did 2012, and now 2013.

I don't list the 'mouse' or kiddie and family coasters. Just the big boys. Coasters that are either SBNO or gone are marked with an asterisk.

I also thought it would be interesting to look at the coasters that turn 20 this year. I guess I wanted to feel really old today...

2013's 10 Year-Old Coasters

Canyon Blaster - Great Escape (relocated)
*Greezed Lightning - Kentucky Kindgom (relocated)
*Ozark Wildcat - Celebration City
Scream! - Six Flags Magic Mountain
Spider - Lagoon
Steel Venom - Valleyfair!
Superman Ultimate Flight - Six Flags Great Adventure
Superman Ultimate Flight - Six Flags Great America
Timberhawk - Wild Waves
Top Thrill Dragster - Cedar Point
*Zonga - Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (relocated)

I've ridden six of these rides, and have plans to ride only Dragster this season. I may give Superman at Great Adventure a ride. But I usually don't, for a lot of reasons.

2013's 20 Year-Old Coasters

*Batman: The Escape - Six Flags Astroworld (relocated)
Batman: The Ride - Six Flags Great Adventure
Canyon Blaster - Adventure Dome
Diamond Back - Frontier City (relocated)
Flight Deck - Kings Island (the Paramount)
Top Gun - California's Great America (then Paramount)
Kumba - Busch Gardens Tampa
Outlaw - Adventureland
*Python - Six Flags America (relocated)
Thunderation - Silver Dollar City
Tornado - Stricker's Grove
*Whirlwind - Knoebels (relocated)

I've ridden five of these rides. I have plans to ride only Batman at Great Adventure.

* This post was modified at 9/21/13 2:43:15 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Find me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 1/24/13 2:27:28 PM
And special shout out to the 30 Year-Old Coasters in 2013...

Cyclone - Six Flags New England
Dragon Mountiain - Marineland

I hope to ride Dragon Mountain for the first time this year.

Oh, what the heck - how about the still-operating 25 year-old coasters...

Avalanche - Kings Dominion
Ninja - Six Flags Magic Mountain
Wolverine Wildcat - Michigan's Adventure

With a melancholy happy 25th anniversary to...

Raging Wolf Bobs - Geauga Lake
Shockwave - Six Flags Great America

* This post was modified at 1/24/13 2:55:03 PM *

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.90 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.55 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28.2%
Re: 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/24/13 3:31:24 PM
I've been on five on each list (10 and 20,) including what I remember as one of the worst ever...Whirlwind.

* This post was modified at 1/24/13 3:33:38 PM *

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/24/13 3:32:38 PM
Been on Cyclone, Avalanche, and Wolf Bobs...the day it died.
Re: 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/24/13 6:06:16 PM
I cannot believe Batman TR is 20 years old! I remember the year it opened (and the ridiculous line that was about 3 1/2 hours long) - boy does time fly.....

Jen

Re: 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 1/24/13 7:26:21 PM
beastmaster said:

I've been on five on each list (10 and 20,) including what I remember as one of the worst ever...Whirlwind.

Whirlwind worse than Adventure World's (SFA's) Python?!?

If the climb up the five flights of stairs on a humid Maryland afternoon, being slammed into the OTSRs on the first launch did!

Joe
Great_Ump

Re: 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/24/13 7:46:52 PM
Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:

If the climb up the five flights of stairs on a humid Maryland afternoon, being slammed into the OTSRs on the first launch did!

Joe
Great_Ump

Joe, your post helped me learn something. I wasn't familiar with Python at SFA, so I checked RCDB to see if it was a former name of something I rode there. Turns out I'm VERY familiar with it...I never knew Lightning Loops had a second life in Maryland after being removed from GrAdv.

Mike

Re: 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/24/13 7:59:11 PM
beastmaster said:

Great_Ump said:

beastmaster said:

Joe
Great_Ump

Joe, your post helped me learn something. I wasn't familiar with Python at SFA, so I checked RCDB to see if it was a former name of something I rode there. Turns out I'm VERY familiar with it...I never knew Lightning Loops had a second life in Maryland after being removed from GrAdv.

Mike

Joe: You only had to climb those steps for 5 years - we had to climb those bastards for 14 years! That was a brutal climb, especially when there was no line. I really don't recall Lightnin Loops being rough at all but I was very young and much more tolerant then. That was the coaster we would go on last at night because once they closed the line the ride ops would let us go back and forth several times in a row before closing down.

Jen

Re: 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters by drachen drachen Profile at 1/24/13 10:35:40 PM
beastmaster said:
]

Mike

Yep, in 1993, both Lightning Loops coasters found a new home. Diamond Back at Frontier City is the other.

drachen
Re: 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters by SirWillow SirWillow Profile at 1/25/13 3:38:38 PM
drachen said:

Yep, in 1993, both Lightning Loops coasters found a new home. Diamond Back at Frontier City is the other.

And as of a few years ago it was still very painful. My shoulders hurt just thinking about it. Grateful I got to ride it once, but once was all I (or anyone with me) could handle. Neat idea, bad execution (unless they meant to execute the riders)

Re: 2013's 10th (and 20th) Anniversary Coasters by Great_Ump Great_Ump Profile at 1/26/13 2:12:39 PM
SirWillow said:

drachen said:

And as of a few years ago it was still very painful. My shoulders hurt just thinking about it. Grateful I got to ride it once, but once was all I (or anyone with me) could handle. Neat idea, bad execution (unless they meant to execute the riders)

Validation!

Joe
Great_Ump