Members, Sign In. Not a member? Sign Up

Ultimate Rollercoaster

Ad
Ultimate Rollercoaster > Discussion Forums > Roller Coasters, Parks & Attractions > Six Flags - THe best one???

Six Flags - THe best one???

Speed_demon_25 Speed_demon_25 Profile

Posted:
1/22/13 at
3:22:30 PM

Hey I hope to travel around America Next year and one of my stops will be to a Six Flags theme park!

Which park is the best one for high speed coasters???

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/22/13 6:40:03 PM
I dunno if Great Adventure is the best, because there's several SF parks I've not visited. But for the top triumvirate of El Toro, Nitro, and Bizarro, it's a contender. You make it to Jersey, Joanna, gimme a shout.

Mike

The amusement park rises bold and stark
Kids are huddled on the beach in a mist...
Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 1/22/13 7:17:39 PM
I haven't visited Six Flags Magic Mountain or Six Flags Discovery Kingdom. Here is how I would rank the remaining Six Flags that I have visited.
1) SF Great Adventure
2) SF Over Georgia
3) SF Over Texas
4) SF Great America
These 4 parks are in my overall top 10 favorite parks.
5) SF New England
6) SF America
7) SF Fiesta Texas
Hope this helps.
Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by mugen828 mugen828 Profile at 1/22/13 10:14:24 PM
For me it's:

1. Six Flags Great Adventure

2. Six Flags Great America

3. Six flags Over Georgia

Hopefully going to get to at least 2 new ones for me this year. I would have Great America above Great Adventure but SFGAdv just has the big three. I can't rank a park that doesn't have something "world class" over a park that has three world class rides. Yep, I put Nitro in that category, I'm biased :p

- mugen828
157 Coasters -- Favorite Coaster -- Nitro (SFGAdv)
117 Steel -- 40 Wood -- Home Park: SFGADv
Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by alpengeistno3 at 1/22/13 10:57:02 PM
If it is high speed you are looking for, Great Adventure with Kingda Ka cannot be missed (and it is only the 4th or 5th best ride in the park, according to most.)

Paul

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by drachen drachen Profile at 1/22/13 11:29:06 PM
alpengeistno3 said:

If it is high speed you are looking for, Great Adventure with Kingda Ka cannot be missed (and it is only the 4th or 5th best ride in the park, according to most.)

6th for me...

1) El Toro
2) Nitro
3) Green Lantern
4) Batman
5) Bizarro
6) Kingda Ka

But you're right. For "high speed" Six Flags Great Adventure is only rivaled by Six Flags Magic Mountain by those standards, especially with Full Throttle opening this spring.

Ranking the Six Flags parks I've been to? This would be by what I feel are the best parks - not he best collection of roller coasters. That would have to be another list.

Not including Six Flags Worlds of Adventure (Geauga Lake) and Six Flags Elitch Gardens, which are no longer Six Flags parks...

1) Six Flags Great America
2) Six Flags St. Louis
3) Six Flags Great Adventure
4) Six Flags Magic Mountain
5) Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
6) Six Flags New England
7) Six Flags America

I'm still missing the three southern Six Flags parks.

Ken, frontrow - how did you leave Six Flags St. Louis off your list? I know you love that place!

drachen
Coaster to Park Ratio: 4.87 / Steel to Wooden Ratio: 2.57 / Wooden Coaster Percentage: 28%
Friend me on Facebook... Search Park Connoisseur
Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by Overbanked Overbanked Profile at 1/22/13 11:54:24 PM
I'll chime in with park and notable 'stand out' coasters IMO. Not to say that facsimile-type coasters are bad by no means, repetitive though. :)

1. Six Flags Magic Mountain- X2, Tatsu, Riddler's Revenge, Apocalypse (ride at night), Goliath (decent), and Viper (a rare surprisingly smooth big Arrow).

2. Six Flags Great Adventure- King Da Ka, Nitro, El Toro.

3. Six Flags over Georgia- Goliath, Dare Devil Dive. Man I miss Deja Vu.

4. Six Flags Fiesta Texas- Poltergeist, Superman Krypton Coaster. The Iron Rattler should be fun.

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by MABrider MABrider Profile at 1/23/13 7:41:20 AM
drachen said:

For "high speed" Six Flags Great Adventure is only rivaled by Six Flags Magic Mountain

Agreed.

Mike B.

Mike B.
Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by KevinReid KevinReid Profile at 1/23/13 11:24:06 AM
The US is quite a large area you might want to narrow dowm your area you are visting for specific park comments.

Regards,
Kevin Reid

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 1/23/13 4:47:04 PM
Six Flags Great Adventure for me ... the coasters are great, but when paired with the New Jersey culture and vocabulary, it makes it a truly educational experience!

I recommend:

- El Toro, back right seat (watch out for the bald guy who thinks that's HIS seat)

- Nitro, sunset ride

- Kingda Ka, front seat (watch out for the crazy veterinarian who thinks that's HER seat)

- avoidance of Dark Knight at all costs!

- a gourmet meal outside of the park at the nearby KFC/Long John Silver's ... quite the combo!

- cool off with a flume ride. Now if only there was an Enterprise ........

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/23/13 7:41:09 PM
Judy_P_in_Pgh said:

Six Flags Great Adventure for me ... the coasters are great, but when paired with the New Jersey culture and vocabulary, it makes it a truly educational experience!

I recommend:

- El Toro, back right seat (watch out for the bald guy who thinks that's HIS seat)

- Nitro, sunset ride

- Kingda Ka, front seat (watch out for the crazy veterinarian who thinks that's HER seat)

- avoidance of Dark Knight at all costs!

- a gourmet meal outside of the park at the nearby KFC/Long John Silver's ... quite the combo!

LOL...multiple times!!! And there WAS an Enterprise...before your introduction to Jersey culture and vocabulary (which you learned SO well, grasshopper.)

Mike, the bald guy to whom Judy may or may not have been referring...

* This post was modified at 1/23/13 7:41:43 PM *

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by frontrow frontrow Profile at 1/23/13 8:31:11 PM
drachen said:

alpengeistno3 said:

6th for me...

1) El Toro
2) Nitro
3) Green Lantern
4) Batman
5) Bizarro
6) Kingda Ka

But you're right. For "high speed" Six Flags Great Adventure is only rivaled by Six Flags Magic Mountain by those standards, especially with Full Throttle opening this spring.

Ranking the Six Flags parks I've been to? This would be by what I feel are the best parks - not he best collection of roller coasters. That would have to be another list.

Not including Six Flags Worlds of Adventure (Geauga Lake) and Six Flags Elitch Gardens, which are no longer Six Flags parks...

1) Six Flags Great America
2) Six Flags St. Louis
3) Six Flags Great Adventure
4) Six Flags Magic Mountain
5) Six Flags Discovery Kingdom
6) Six Flags New England
7) Six Flags America

I'm still missing the three southern Six Flags parks.

Ken, frontrow - how did you leave Six Flags St. Louis off your list? I know you love that place!

I knew I forgot a park. I was thinking of previous parks that were Six Flags parks that I visited like SF Astoworld, SF Darien Lake, SF Kentucky Kingdom, and SF Worlds of Adventure. You're right, I really do like SF St. Louis. I would rank SF St. Louis as my 5th favorite Six Flags park.

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/24/13 10:58:25 AM
Judy_P_in_Pgh said:

I have NO idea who she is talking about! ;-)
Since there are 2 front seats I'll have no problem sharing with you! Although I did kick a stranger out of the other front seat last year when I wanted to get that on-ride photo - LOL!

As Mike said the Enterprise was a staple there for a LONG time (1979 - 2006). It used to be the first ride we always went on - was the first ride you'd see when you made a right by the fountain. Those were the days when the good rides were on the right side of the park. (Lightning Loops, Free Fall, The Chiller, Batman, Nitro, Moon Flume, lots of good flats, etc).

But back to the topic: Cannot miss Great Adventure if you're taking a trip here. There are a lot of decent parks on the East Coast so if you have time I'd plan a trip from Virginia to NJ and there are quite a few good parks to hit along the way. (Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion, Hershey Park, Great Adventure, SF America (small park but worth a trip if passing by - can easily do in 1/2 day).

Good luck!

Jen

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 1/24/13 5:59:04 PM
There are a lot of decent parks on the East Coast so if you have time I'd plan a trip from Virginia to NJ and there are quite a few good parks to hit along the way. (Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion, Hershey Park, Great Adventure, SF America (small park but worth a trip if passing by - can easily do in 1/2 day).

Jen, your forgot Dorney Park!

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/24/13 6:01:54 PM
Judy_P_in_Pgh said:

There are a lot of decent parks on the East Coast so if you have time I'd plan a trip from Virginia to NJ and there are quite a few good parks to hit along the way. (Busch Gardens, Kings Dominion, Hershey Park, Great Adventure, SF America (small park but worth a trip if passing by - can easily do in 1/2 day).

No I didn't... :-P

Jen

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by beastmaster beastmaster Profile at 1/24/13 6:49:30 PM
Judy_P_in_Pgh said:

No profanity allowed on the forum, Jersey culture or no!

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by alpengeistno3 at 1/24/13 7:06:16 PM
Judy_P_in_Pgh said:

I was going to say the same thing!

Paul

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by GoYanks34 GoYanks34 Profile at 1/24/13 7:26:17 PM
Poor Joanna - she has no idea what we're even talking about!

FYI: I loathe DP (had a HORRIBLE experience there) and I accuse anyone who mentions the name of that park to be using foul language. Anytime that park gets brought up I have nothing but hateful things to say, LOL. I'm still bitter.... :-)

Jen

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by Judy_P_in_Pgh Judy_P_in_Pgh Profile at 1/24/13 10:24:45 PM
But, Jen you really do need to give Dorney Park a try WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE!! Just look at how much fun you had at HersheyPark, in spite of having your thighs crushed. Plus, Dorney has a flume AND an Enterprise and ... A BUCKET!
Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by Geauga_Dog Geauga_Dog Profile at 1/25/13 11:40:35 PM
Magic Mountain and Great Adventure are pretty much tops regarding high speed rides.

However of the ones I have visited my favorites are (not including former SF parks):

1. Great America
2. Six Flags Over Georgia
3. Six Flags St. Louis
4. Great Adventure
5. Magic Mountain
6. Discovery Kingdom (was still Marine World when I was there)

G-Dog

Re: Six Flags - THe best one??? by Speed_demon_25 Speed_demon_25 Profile at 1/27/13 2:21:21 PM
thank you all! you have been very helpful :)